• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably just an extra offer to developers and publishers. I doubt it will be mandatory. EA is quite active with offering trials and free weekends, so they're a a good partner to start with.

It's not likely to replace refunds in the best future.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome.

Managed to refund some stuff before I realized it wasn't for me but not always the case so its nice to have trials/demos.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a smart move. A lot easier than seeing if the game works/runs on your setup and requesting a refund if it doesn't.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Steam continuing to be the best place to play. With nearly 30,000 games from AAA to indie and everything in-between, it's no wonder the platform continues to grow YoY.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, when I read the title, I was thinking "that'd be a good way to see how well Dead Space runs on my system", and then lo and behold...

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Steam continuing to be the best place to play. With nearly 30,000 games from AAA to indie and everything in-between, it's no wonder the platform continues to grow YoY.
Heck yeah. They just keep improving Steam with tons of features which directly helps my PC and my Deck. I still wish Ms would release Gamepass on Steam. Heck, keep the Xbox launcher even though it sucks, I just want the features of Steam to go with it.

I've only refunded 1 game and that's because it was free on Epic the very next day. I hope this comes to almost all games eventually. Trials/demos always helps me decide if I like the game or not.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Dead Space is the only game. Also has a notice in the banner.
I dont think this is a big deal unless its mandatory for all games.

Boogins

Oct 28, 2017
I know Dead Space is the only game with this as of right now, but my question going forward would be with these trials and their ongoing refund system would time played on the trial count towards your 2 hours refund time? Obviously this is meant to reduce refunds in the first place but I could imagine you do a trial and 90 minutes not being enough to know either way if a game is for you. So you buy it to play further and only getting another 30 minutes and then not being able to refund it would suck.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Niiice. I'm guessing this is going to be a thing developers will have to opt into, but hopefully plenty of games will use it.

I forgot that PlayStation has demo's as a perk for one of their higher subscription tiers... Christ.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Really curious if the publisher has any say in this. I think many won't allow this if they have.

This is 100% up to the publisher.

Mandatory demos will never happen on Steam unless there's some legal precedent set in some country that Steam operates in.

This doesn't mean that this option offers nothing for customers; the generalized best benefit of a system wide trial OPTION like this is that it removes the disincentive for publishers and developers to make a bespoke demo, with all the time and risk associated therein. The trial demo is automatically updated the same way the base game is updated (so the developer doesn't have to maintain multiple builds or have the demo not be indictative of the real game's features and performance). Since this trial demo is just the game itself, and a checkbox on the Steam release, it's one less impediment in the way of a company deciding whether or not they want to offer a demo.

Additionally, this type of demo is excellent for customers, as I would guess that any progress they make in the trial would carry over into a purchased copy of a game, so no need to feel like they "spoiled" themselves on the full product or wasted their time having to do things twice.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I really like this because I won't have to keep track of my playtime if I'm unsure about a game.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Does the 1 hour trial replace the 2 hour refund policy or does this stack? Just curious
How would this work for non- DRM games?

Also would it count time you spend waiting for shader compilation? Does any of this time apply to refund period?

Cool idea though, especially for games coming in hot.
I'd imagine the trial counts toward your refund time since you're playing the full game but for a limited time.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a list of which games have the trials? It's not literally EVERY game, is it?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I legit think GeForce killed it for Steam, we are never getting it for our games.
I'm honestly still extremely sad Geforce Now didn't pan out. The ability to rent hardware to stream games you own etc, was IMO the best option for game streaming. All the stuff around game license and access is really just a garbage mess for consumers.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
That sounds awesome. Though I do wonder how they'll counter local save file + free account abuse.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to work well. You can't launch the game when offline, so it blocks that potential exploit.
It was enough for me to see that Dead Space (2023) actually runs quite well on my PC - but suffers from real bad loading stutters.
It also confirmed my thoughts on it being a game that never really needed a remake, and that I don't like many of their changes (being forced to slow walk while the crew tells me to hurry up, adding in extra animations/flourishes that just waste time, etc).

I'm honestly still extremely sad Geforce Now didn't pan out. The ability to rent hardware to stream games you own etc, was IMO the best option for game streaming. All the stuff around game license and access is really just a garbage mess for consumers.
I'm hoping at some point an entity like the EU steps in, because if we own the game, we should be able to play it wherever we choose.
Yeah, I know we technically bought a limited license to play the game rather than "owning" anything, but that doesn't have to make it legal.

Frankly, you should be able to buy a game once and use that license on any platform (Steam, Epic, PlayStation, Xbox, etc).
But letting you log into your Steam account on a cloud platform like GeForce Now and play anything in your library seems like a far easier thing to enforce.