• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteamERA GOTY results on Saturday 27th January at 23:00 GMT - Will MRORANGE deliver?

• Yes!

Votes: 51 22.1%
  • Nope.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • We should probably get morningbus to do it again.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Yes, in like 9 months.

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • Who cares? It's all rigged if Zelda: BOTW doesn't win.

Votes: 69 29.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
So:

-ManHunt needs a crack to work. It's still not available in some countries probably due to censorship.
-GTA IV needs several workaround to "work": the result is still not guaranteed, because a lot of people, like myself, can't even boot the game on Win10. It has Securom. R* also removed some tracks from the OST.
-L.A. Noire is not patched for Win10 and a lot of people can't boot it at all. The game recently had a remastered for console. Originally the game was sold as a single app containint both the vanilla game and all dlcs. Later R* decided to split the game, so you need to buy the vanilla title plus all dlcs. The dlcs are only in the third tier, while the base game is in the second
-GTA Vice City has almost ten songs removed from the soundtrack
-Max Payne 1 not available in some countries because the game has region specific versions, and probably Rockstar or Humble didn't bother to distribute keys for the different countries, and the only version available should be the ROW one. It uses a crack Rockstar "got" from the Internet to work.
-Bully has problems with Win10, despite on being a bad port. It crashes a lot, Steam overlay doesn't work.
-San Andreas has some tracks removed from the OST.
-Episode from Liberty City has pretty much the same problems of the original GTA IV.

Yeah, good value. It's like R* is trying to do easy money by throwing away their shovelware since they didn't bother to upload those games and solving the issues, despite having bilion of dollars.

Eeew. Thanks for the head's up!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
havent really been posting MHW gifs here so some people wont start crying (although anteater went ahead and posted them anyway earlier) but this one is, well...

ofF9w5X.gif

I couldnt put my finger on what the game reminded me off playing it (besides the obvious souls games -> giant bosses comparison) but this gif made me realise its Dragon's Dogma vibes i'm getting.

Last edited:

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Fallout Shelter on Steam, still a good game, but the mobile game aspect where you periodically start it up just to check on your vault doesn't seem to work as well on PC. I've also gotten zero legendary weapons, dwellers or outfits from lunchboxes. Odds seem way worse then when I played the game on my phone.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get my guy in MH to move like that. Instead it's a combination of me fumbling around with the weird controls and him moving like a drunk guy in quicksand.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I wish I could get my guy in MH to move like that. Instead it's a combination of me fumbling around with the weird controls and him moving like a drunk guy in quicksand.

What weapon are you using? Sword and shield is a very good noob choice. It doesn't do much damage but the speed of it for multiple hits and to avoid being locked into an animation is very handy. Great Sword is tempting but only advisable once one is familiar with each monster's movement patterns and tells.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wish I could move that fluidly in MH!

What weapon are you using? Sword and shield is a very good noob choice. It doesn't do much damage but the speed of it for multiple hits and to avoid being locked into an animation is very handy. Great Sword is tempting but only advisable once one is familiar with each monster's movement patterns and tells.

I started off with dual daggers but I didn't like how little control I had over where I was attacking so I switched to sword and shield. I wasn't happy with its low damage output and I couldn't move anywhere near that gif level so I just switched to bow. Still as janky to use as anything else but at least it does good damage so I'm going with that for a bit.

I have a twice upgraded hammer available too but I'm afraid to use it based on how janky everything else has been. I feel like he'll need 20 seconds to wind up a swing before hitting and I'll be stuck in the animation for the entire time.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if there's been any news about The Wolf Among Us S2 other than the small teaser? I hope they get on it after Batmeng ends soon.

I really have to purchase and read more Fables before TWUA S2 comes out. There's way too much material lol.

Funny to see so many people who played the game shipping Bigby and Snow together based on the romantic tease without having read the books.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I wish I could move that fluidly in MH!

I started off with dual daggers but I didn't like how little control I had over where I was attacking so I switched to sword and shield. I wasn't happy with its low damage output and I couldn't move anywhere near that gif level so I just switched to bow. Still as janky to use as anything else but at least it does good damage so I'm going with that for a bit.

I have a twice upgraded hammer available too but I'm afraid to use it based on how janky everything else has been. I feel like he'll need 20 seconds to wind up a swing before hitting and I'll be stuck in the animation for the entire time.

That reminds me of my first attempts at a Mon Hun on the Wii :). It doesn't really matter what weapon you choose really after giving it some more thought as your progress is more dependent on learning the monster tells and move patterns than anything else. Mon Hun is about a lot of things but being crudely reductive it is Punch-Out!!. You can have an overpowered weapon for a particular monster but still not do as well as you would if you just used the sword and shield and had good familiarity with that monster. The first several times I encountered a Great Jaggi in Mon Hun Wii I got rekt. After awhile though I knew its tells and movements and was dancing around it and toying with it like a cat with a mouse. There's no avoiding the fact that this is a game series that requires the player to learn the monsters. One can level up weapons and armour etc but by learning the monsters one levels up one's skill at the game. That's part of its appeal; one cannot just 'press X to win' like so many games; one must put in the effort to 'git gud'. That's what makes the sword and shield such a good noob choice; it does so little damage you won't progress by button mashing but by learning when it is safe to attack and when it isn't. The key is learning the monsters as it is with any weapon choice. However, if you are happier with the bow then I would stick with that until you feel you have got a good grasp of it and prioritise learning the monsters. I have put hundreds of hours into various Mon Huns so clearly I love what it has to offer but I do appreciate that it is not a game design that would appeal to all. I haven't played the new one though so cannot comment on that until it comes to pc. Have fun! :)

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to grab Tooth & Tail for $10 but it just screams future Humble Bundle Monthly release. :l

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
ok i bought mario and rabbids and i'm getting a new credit card tomorrow

visa again cos no mastercard bank would take my broke ass lol

but fuck you visa, this is only a strategic alliance, the second i get a chance i'm coming for you

Wapcaplet

Oct 31, 2017
I miss the Sam and Max games so much, Devil's playhouse was the last traditional adventure game telltale made right?
Back to the Future was the last traditional point & click adventure game they released.

Can't believe that was over 7 years ago. To add insult to injury, Telltale never released the BTTF 30th anniversary update (with Tom Wilson voicing Biff) for PC.

spindoctor

Oct 25, 2017
Someone asked yesterday what the appeal/gameplay loop of monster hunter was supposed to be. I was too lazy to reply but this perfectly describes it...

One can level up weapons and armour etc but by learning the monsters one levels up one's skill at the game. That's part of its appeal; one cannot just 'press X to win' like so many games; one must put in the effort to 'git gud'.

The combat in the game is extremely technical. The game will never get easier for you so you have to get better at it. Sure, you'll get weapon and armor upgrades but ultimately it is your skill at the combat which will determine whether or not you succeed. As you get to higher difficulties (G ranks, silver/gold monsters) there is very little room for error.

So... the feeling of accomplishment at getting better at the game plus the loot hunting aspect is the appeal of monster hunter.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Someone asked yesterday what the appeal/gameplay loop of monster hunter was supposed to be. I was too lazy to reply but this perfectly describes it...

The combat in the game is extremely technical. The game will never get easier for you so you have to get better at it. Sure, you'll get weapon and armor upgrades but ultimately it is your skill at the combat which will determine whether or not you succeed. As you get to higher difficulties (G ranks, silver/gold monsters) there is very little room for error.

So... the feeling of accomplishment at getting better at the game plus the loot hunting aspect is the appeal of monster hunter.
So basically Dark Souls but with loot.

I played quite a few of Monster Hunter games, but I never reach endgame.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

There's way more nuance to fighting the monsters than just about any encounter in the Dark Souls games, as well as learning the ins and outs of the weapons. Monster Hunter games are just... Monster Hunter. You don't really get the same thing anywhere else other than the clones I guess.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

if you played MH games why were you asking what the loop was the other day? O_o

But yeah its a weird question and boiling it down to "so all you do is chase the glowflies and fight monsters" is like saying "oh that PUBG you just shoot each other?". I know I got the same type of fist clenching rage hype earlier when I finally killed a touch monster, which I've only really felt in the Souls games really. So for me thats the easiest comparison. Souls bosses with mmo-style material grind? /shrug

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
if you played MH games why were you asking what the loop was the other day? O_o

But yeah its a weird question and boiling it down to "so all you do is chase the glowflies and fight monsters" is like saying "oh that PUBG you just shoot each other?". I know I got the same type of fist clenching rage hype earlier when I finally killed a touch monster, which I've only really felt in the Souls games really. So for me thats the easiest comparison. Souls bosses with mmo-style material grind? /shrug
Huh, but I never did.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
We are the real Monsters.

Try Insect Glaive, that's a movement based weapon and keeps you in air too, can pull of crazy aerial combos. SnS has some great damage dealing combos, make sure to look at the Hunter's Notes section in start menu, some can be bit weird to pull off at first but come out naturally after learning them, I think it's one of my favourites after Long Sword, currently testing out Great Sword.
I really hate Ranged Weapons unless you're doing co-op.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
finally nintendo decided to tell me how many hours i played of zelda (why is this a time thing??). 40 hours so far, i feel like i'm about half way through? not counting the dlc, at least

what a huge game, i'm really enjoying it so much

also bought mario and rabbids so i guess between this and league i'm never gonna be saying anything on-topic again!

pls understand.....

Urge to quote Nietzsche rising.
i wish i had finished twilight of the idols or zarathustra to be equipped to make a good joke (and antichrist was like 7 ages ago back when i liked nietzsche)

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
finally nintendo decided to tell me how many hours i played of zelda (why is this a time thing??). 40 hours so far, i feel like i'm about half way through? not counting the dlc, at least

what a huge game, i'm really enjoying it so much
Took me around 100 hours counting the DLC too, it's definitely grand adventure.

shut your donut hole, Bow all the way baby.
Just stay in the back and watch as I cut off some tails.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Rayman Legends is my fav. game in the series, and it has one of my fav. Water worlds/levels in a platformer too.

Tomasety

Oct 28, 2017
The Canary Islands
Northgard, a title that was a great surprise for me last year, got a price increased, as it was announced in the early days of its early access release.

As we planned when starting the Early Access period, we will be raising Northgard price on Steam from 19,99€ to 27,99€ starting this Friday January 19th. Be sure that there will not be further price raise when the game is officially released!

By the way, I have to admit that I'm certainly surprised reading the amount of copies it has sold during its first 10 months of early access.

Today(1st January 2018), after 10 months and almost 500k unit sold, Northgard has 6 clans, a Multiplayer mode with dedicated server coming in January and a lot of new tiles, units and buildings

What I also found interesting was that Steamspy estimated around 425k copies sold about that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.