• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Steam sent out an email earlier today asking developers to push their new artwork to their game pages. Outlining that the update is weeks away from public beta.

Hello,

In March at GDC we announced that the Steam Library is getting an overhaul. The Library redesign brings together a player's experience with a game and new content/communications from the developer and community in a richer, more visual layout.

We are weeks away from the public beta of this new feature set; we welcome you to upload new assets for your updated library presence.

For details please review this post: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1597002662762032240

Steam will create a fallback treatment based with text and a screenshot, but adding your branding assets is the best way to showcase your product in your customer's Steam libraries. We welcome you to upload and preview these assets starting today.

Cheers.
035446ca4a4f5f37f0b11afe62d3f99a31526de5.png

Overhaul me if old.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I just hope Big Picture Mode will be usable again soon!

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is so needed. SOMEthing. Over the years, a library becomes ridiculous for re-discovery.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Is there any word if we can rename or rearrange games in our library? I hate having multiple games in the same series all over the place instead of next each other, like Tomb Raider or Total War.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Discord's an Electron web app, and it runs perfectly fine. Dunno what you seem concerned about.

Discord runs like ass. Discord takes a million years to launch and runs infinitely worse than mIRC or (old, native) Skype or any number of similar apps. Just look at task manager, or pay attention to how non-responsive the app feels.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Electron, while it's obviously slower that any native app, doesn't have to be such a pain in the ass. Microsoft's VSCode is done in Electron and while slower than Sublime or Emacs, it runs surprisingly well. I would rather get a native app, but this is ok for me.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like it. I think the top bar with "Library" and such throws off the look. It's not really an upgrade from current UI to me, just kinda a sidegrade. But I suppose not really a big deal with how little I look at Steam.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Discord runs like ass. Discord takes a million years to launch and runs infinitely worse than mIRC or (old, native) Skype or any number of similar apps. Just look at task manager, or pay attention to how non-responsive the app feels.

Having used the prototype it runs completely fine, CPU & RAM usage is basically the same as current UI. Granted I don't have a ton of Steam games (only 388) but ya.

Only time the performance was bad is on first load when you go to the screen showing all the games with their covers and the covers have to be retrieved. It's fine after you re-visit that page tho.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Having used the prototype it runs completely fine, CPU & RAM usage is basically the same as current UI. Granted I don't have a ton of Steam games (only 388) but ya.

Only time the performance was bad is on first load when you go to the screen showing all the games with their covers and the covers have to be retrieved. It's fine after you re-visit that page tho.

Phew. Hopefully the initial cover load isn't too bad.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
im really happy with the change, but really annoyed that the custom tagging isn't seemingly in there

we still got categories/collections and thats it

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Phew. Hopefully the initial cover load isn't too bad.

I thought I'd prove this btw so here you go.

87k1EXq.png

The most CPU usage it has ever peaked at was 2.3% on the first load of the Library Home/place with all the covers. Downloads increasing CPU load is the exact same across both since that aspect hasn't changed at all obviously.

Not featured: this does create an additional Steam Client Webhelper task (which is the actual web content of the library) that uses on average ~75 MB of RAM for me and never goes above 0.1% CPU usage except during the Library Home page first load where it does ~1%. However the main Steam Client Bootstrapper uses less RAM (likely since the native library isn't there anymore) and one of the prior WebHelpers uses less RAM too, making this about ~30 MB of RAM increase total, which at least for me as a gamer with even just a modest 8GB of RAM is negligible.

That said this prototype is incredibly early as you can likely tell from the screenshot, so it's likely these values are inaccurate and it might be even better than this.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Steam is already a web app (not Electron though). Generally speaking, you'd have to be an idiot nowadays to not use some kind of web-based framework since the store needs to be usable from a browser anyway.

The store is web. The actual app itself - the non store stuff - is native.

You'd just have to care about performance.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks absolutely terrible. Of course they'll do that when I just discovered Metro...

This will break everything, right? No more screenshots of the selected game, etc.

I just want to see the game I've currently selected tbh (kinda like on consoles)

I just hope that won't break Metro... I 99% use small mode anyway, it's so sleek and minimal - the default Steam UI and color schemes make me literally sick and it doesn't look like they'll ever change this. Ugh.

Last edited:

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Hope the other steps they are taking to unify BPM and Desktop Mode , so that you have the same features in both will happen quickly .
New Library is only the first step.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd prove this btw so here you go.

87k1EXq.png

The most CPU usage it has ever peaked at was 2.3% on the first load of the Library Home/place with all the covers. Downloads increasing CPU load is the exact same across both since that aspect hasn't changed at all obviously.

Not featured: this does create an additional Steam Client Webhelper task (which is the actual web content of the library) that uses on average ~75 MB of RAM for me and never goes above 0.1% CPU usage except during the Library Home page first load where it does ~1%. However the main Steam Client Bootstrapper uses less RAM (likely since the native library isn't there anymore) and one of the prior WebHelpers uses less RAM too, making this about ~30 MB of RAM increase total, which at least for me as a gamer with even just a modest 8GB of RAM is negligible.

That said this prototype is incredibly early as you can likely tell from the screenshot, so it's likely these values are inaccurate and it might be even better than this.

Please tell me you can turn that off...

Screenshot_UGHHHHHHH.png

And does the background really have to be GREY? Wtf

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I don't suppose that "recent games" section would be able to pickup non-steam games you've been playing? Would be cool if you could click those games and add them to your Steam library from there.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Write once, run everywhere. Sorry but webapps are the future.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The bad news is that it's final, official confirmation that vertical covers are incoming, which is going to be a massive pain for people like me who use Steam as a universal launcher, and had (automated tools to grab) grid icons for almost all my non-Steam games. Guess we're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Silver lining: we now have specs for the replacement assets, and high res mode has been confirmed. Might as well start working on replacements now.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they are bringing more options for organization and not just a new look; e.g. being able to sort games by release date, being able to view/search by store tags instead of having to manually categorize everything.
I'd also like the option to rename games, and assign a Steam ID for non-Steam games to access the correct community features.

I'm not sure of the best way to handle it, but the display of family sharing content needs work too.
None of the organization is carried over, and it presents them as a singular A-Z list of all the games. Hidden games should remain hidden from family sharing entirely. In fact, I would prefer if family sharing could be managed as a separate opt-in list per-user.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they are bringing more options for organization and not just a new look; e.g. being able to sort games by release date, being able to view/search by store tags

that stuff is in (store tags, and not the community tags though) and you can sort by release date

they made it easier to create game collections, but sadly we're still unable to apply custom tags on individual games

i really hope the gog 2.0 launcher considers this

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some of the questions y'all posted answered.

This better not erase my custom categories.

It does not, however custom categories are way harder to manage in the prototype and I hope this is one of the things fixed in the beta. In the prototype you can only change categories for games 1 by 1 so in order for me to move a game from Awesome to Casual I have to right click it "Add to Category -> Casual" and then "Remove from Category > Awesome" rather than the current system of Change Category and do 2 clicks which is way faster.

This looks absolutely terrible. Of course they'll do that when I just discovered Metro...

This will break everything, right? No more screenshots of the selected game, etc.

I just want to see the game I've currently selected tbh (kinda like on consoles)

I just hope that won't break Metro... I 99% use small mode anyway, it's so sleek and minimal - the default Steam UI and color schemes make me literally sick and it doesn't look like they'll ever change this. Ugh.

1) Correct it no longer uses a screenshot you took of the game as the header, at least in the prototype.

2) If you select a game it turns into the UI I posted in my pic up above.

3) It doesn't break Metro but Metro only applies to the stuff around the Library itself as the Library is now a web page basically.

4) Small Mode is removed in the prototype, but maybe itll be there in the beta (I doubt it though, unfortunately)

Please tell me you can turn that off...

And does the background really have to be GREY? Wtf

That is just the Library Home page, you can legit never go there and just see the kind of page I posted in my pic up above.

I don't suppose that "recent games" section would be able to pickup non-steam games you've been playing? Would be cool if you could click those games and add them to your Steam library from there.

Not in the prototype, unlikely to be there in the beta.

Is Big Picture changing as well?

They haven't announced anything.

Chill, its web powered, so everything should be customizable .

It's the same situation as Steam Chat now, while yes you can directly edit the web page's CSS, any changes will be reset on updates. This means if any UI dev digs deep into the CSS you can actually do a lot more than current Steam skins, but it's also more annoying to install with frequent updates and a lot more complicated than editing VGUI. At least you can see your changes in real time tho.

Official customization is lacking (at least on the prototype) with many official features either being removed (Small Mode) or more annoying to use now. (Custom Categories)

That said this is the area I expect to be most improved by the beta...I hope....because it is really bad on the prototype.

The bad news is that it's final, official confirmation that vertical covers are incoming, which is going to be a massive pain for people like me who use Steam as a universal launcher, and had (automated tools to grab) grid icons for almost all my non-Steam games. Guess we're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Silver lining: we now have specs for the replacement assets, and high res mode has been confirmed. Might as well start working on replacements now.

I don't know if this is different in the beta or release version but there doesn't seem to be way to load custom covers in the prototype at all. You can't even right click on the covers.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's unfortunate to hear the UI seems incapable of picking up non-steam games automatically. Seems like Valve is falling behind in that respect whilst others start to go for universal libraries.