• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Didn't know about this, so I can stream my Steam games to my iPhone X and play them on the Oled display? cool, if it works well I might even consider getting a Samsung Tab S5e to stream the games on its bigger Oled display

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know about this, so I can stream my Steam games to my iPhone X and play them on the Oled display? cool, if it works well I might even consider getting a Samsung Tab S5e to stream the games on its bigger Oled display
Yes, you can also play remotely outside your home as long as your internet connection's upload speed is high enough (at least 10Mbps up)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it right now using my iPad Pro and Killer Instinct on PC.

Complete game changer! Though I kinda wish I could use my Switch Pro Controller instead of the Steam Controller.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been complaining about this for so long, so I'm really happy to be getting this on AppleTV.
Still, the controller situation will probably prevent me from getting rid of my physical Steam Link.

I wish I could use a Bluetooth controller like the SF30 at least.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just tried it right now using my iPad Pro and Killer Instinct on PC.

Complete game changer! Though I kinda wish I could use my Switch Pro Controller instead of the Steam Controller.

Depending on how far away from your computer you are..... you could just have your switch pro controller connected to your computer, with steam interpreting the inputs (which it can do) and then just using your iPad as a wireless display. You don't HAVE to have the controller connected to the device you're streaming to if you're within wireless range of the computer itself

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried a Bluetooth DS4/Xbox controller? Just in case they work but aren't documented?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Using the Steam controller is a nightmare for me. I keep trying to like it. I've never used a worse controller. I'd rather use any other video game controller ever made, I think. Weird Mad Catz circa 2002 shit over this.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how far away from your computer you are..... you could just have your switch pro controller connected to your computer, with steam interpreting the inputs (which it can do) and then just using your iPad as a wireless display. You don't HAVE to have the controller connected to the device you're streaming to if you're within wireless range of the computer itself
And that's the thing: My setup is not within range.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
If they could make this work on Switch it would be awesome, way more convenient than using a tablet or smartphone with Steam gamepad

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Long shot I guess

Does it have workarounds for L3/R3 mapping? And I have a windows receiver for Xbox controller (newer one) - can you use those connected to the pc with the app just as a display?

The current workaround when using an MFi controller (Steam shows you this dialog when you boot up a game using a paired MFi controller):

Menu+A is start
Menu+B is select
Menu+X is L3
Menu+Y is R3

And yes, you can use the app just as a display instead of routing inputs as well if you're in range of the host computer. I actually do that, actually. I use my iPad or Apple TV for the game but I'm close enough that my controllers are still connected to my PC

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Things I didn't expect to wake up to today (or anytime, really). This is fantastic news! And supposedly - unlike moonlight - you are able to stream games in full screen/device AR and not just 16:9. I'll need to check this out tonight.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Are there any mfi phone shells with controls on the sides (kind of like the Switch) that would work with this? If I can turn my phone into a mini-gba that can play my whole Steam library, ordering one would be BEYOND worth it for me.

EDIT:
Guess I'm looking for aomething like a gamevice? Are those good?

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Are there any mfi phone shells with controls on the sides (kind of like the Switch) that would work with this? If I can turn my phone into a mini-gba that can play my whole Steam library, ordering one would be BEYOND worth it for me.

EDIT:
I think it only works with selected apps and I'm not sure Steam is supported.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

EDIT:

Gamevice is the one, yeah

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Visual novels and the like are the killer app for this. Just played some Zero Escape 1 (999) on my iPad and it worked perfectly. Also played some Sonic Mania with the Steam Controller and it all worked fine aside from relatively rare momentary packet loss I receive no matter what device I stream to which is obviously a problem in a game like this. Playing PSX/SNES RPGs via RetroArch ought to be amazing as well.

On another note, Steam can do remote streaming now? Where can I read about this?

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Can you use a controller connected to your PC? I'd mostly use this around the house and my Xbox One controller has pretty decent range.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's better than the android version. I have relatively solid internet and that was, not great.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I use it this way regularly

I might even get a long USB extension cable to run the Xbox receiver right up to the wall separating living room from spare room (where the PC is) to make sure that'll work locally. At least so I can use an Xbox controller until Steel Series update their controllers with click sticks

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So there is a little hope for a DS4 compatibility, if Steam obtained it for their own controller.

Great job Valve, especially for having insisted.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
So there is a little hope for a DS4 compatibility, if Steam obtained it for their own controller.

Great job Valve, especially for having insisted.
The difference is that the steam controller connects as an HID device, effectively a mouse. Once in the app the firmware in the controller just changes what kind of inputs it is sending.

The other controllers need system level drivers because they don't have this feature, they're controllers, with specific requirements, they send controller commands, not "raw" data.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, it indeed does support the proper 4:3 aspect ratio for a fullscreen iPad experience!

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has been enabled in the Steam Link Android, Pi and hardware apps for a while, and now they allow it on PC and iOS as well.

For the first-time setup you need to be at your PC. See Valve's instructions: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/3362406825533023360/

Tested using 4G (well, 5GE lol AT&T) on my iPad, worked like a charm. Love this, now I can be at work and still have access to all my games, this is phenomenal

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Steam Controller support?????!!!!!! Holy shit that's huge news! No MFi controllers support clickable thumbsticks so this actually allows full compatibility with most/all games!

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why dont i see the app in the app store on my ipad pro.

I only see the normal steam app. I searched for steam and steam link.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
How did you set up the correct aspect ratio? Just change it in Windows or can it be done remotely?
I set my desktop to a 4:3 ratio but the Steam streaming service seems to be very adaptive. It changed to 16:9 for Big Picture since that doesn't support 4:3 afaik and then defaulted to 1600x1200 4:3 automatically when I launched Portal. It could therefore be sufficient to just change the In-game resolution. Haven't had time to test it beyond what I described so let me know if you discover anything

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
All I need is a good clickable mfi controller (is that possible now) or steam to release a steam controller that doesn't have that damned trackpad instead of a right analogue stick.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
YES

Feels like I've been waiting for this forever.

Time to finally make my way through the collection of visual novels I've built up over the years...

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had no idea the Steam controller would work with iOS. Might get some decent use out of it now.

Oct 25, 2017
I set my desktop to a 4:3 ratio but the Steam streaming service seems to be very adaptive. It changed to 16:9 for Big Picture since that doesn't support 4:3 afaik and then defaulted to 1600x1200 4:3 automatically when I launched Portal. It could therefore be sufficient to just change the In-game resolution. Haven't had time to test it beyond what I described so let me know if you discover anything
Well, what I've discovered is that almost no games I play support 4:3 aspect ratios lmao. Obviously PC-centric 3D games tend to work but anything 2D just pillarboxes the image when a 4:3 aspect ratio is set on the desktop. Sigh.

All I need is a good clickable mfi controller (is that possible now) or steam to release a steam controller that doesn't have that damned trackpad instead of a right analogue stick.

But the trackpad is geniunely better in pretty much every single use case than a right analog stick unless a game is flat out borked. Even then, a little tinkering usually gets around that. The only thing the Steam Controller truly struggles with is providing a substitute for a really good d-pad.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Why?

An analogue stick is actually worse in every way at actually mapping to what is usually camera control.

I just don't understand why people are so enamoured by the indirection that comes from first order control over 1:1 zero order control.