• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Steam Link App Finally Available for iOS and tvOS

Oct 26, 2017
California
Only if you’re in reach of the host PC, you cant pair one with the Apple TV

I wonder why the app supports Steam Controller but not Xbox One or PS4 over Bluetooth. License / copyright issues?
Because the Steam controller is flashed as a keyboard in the firmware which iOS can detect and pair with, while Xbox One/PS4 use their own input methods

Oct 26, 2017
California
How do they handle analog inputs?
The “being flashed as a keyboard” thing is only relevant to get iOS to pair with the Steam controller, after that the Steam Link app itself can write its own, for lack of a better word, drivers to deal with all the analog/touchpad stuff.

iOS doesn’t know what XInput is, which is why an Xbox One controller doesn’t pair.

This is my understanding, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox one controller responds all the way from my upstairs office so I’m going to try this again.

The app doesn’t let me set the audio to anything other than Stereo. I have a Sony 7.1 sound bar connected to an LG OLED via ARC. Any ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Controller turned out to be a little too laggy at that range. Bummer.
If your house is wired for ethernet, you can buy a cheap usb to Ethernet extender and move your Xbox adapter downstairs. I use one so my main pc can be in the equipment room and send it’s signal to every 4K hdr screen in the house, and have usb extenders running to every room I need them in.

Oct 25, 2017
does this work for games bought from Epic Games store? Eg My Time at Portia is £10 cheaper due to the Epic sale right now, but can you add them as external games and still use steam link? I'd want to play that on my ipad

Nov 2, 2017
Games in bpm worked at 60, but 30 when I tried playing from other launchers. I'm gonna try to figure out what the deal is later on, although idk what to even try. Thanks for letting me know that games will run at higher than 30 on other launchers.
I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to play Hades but it isn't running as smooth as I'd like. Any to clues on what to do?

Oct 26, 2017
Was going to say, how does this work? I didn't know you could use controllers on an iPhone
Companies who want to make peripherals for iphone/ipad etc have to get license from Apple by joining the MFi ("Made For iOS" products) program. With the license, they get the API from Apple to developer game controller for the iphone. In another word, if game controller is MFi certified, it is usable on iphone.

Most of the popular game controllers such as Steam controller, MS and Sony controllers are not MFi certified.

If I am not wrong MFi doesn't have L3/R3 integration until few months ago, so most of the MFi controllers in the market right now doesn't support L3/R3.