• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Nearly a year after Apple suddenly rejected Valve's Steam Link App and subsequently revised its App Store rules - today, the Steam Link App is finally available on iOS and tvOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steam-link/id1246969117

For those unaware Valve has had a feature known as "in home streaming" since 2013 where any machine could stream your Steam / PC games / applications on your local network.
Steam Link was a hardware solution to utilise this feature on a TV or other device you wanted to stream Steam to.

More recently, Valve expanded the service to work - anywhere - via their data centers

Today in the Steam Client Beta, "In Home Streaming" has been renamed "Steam Remote Play".
The feature remains free and works between Steam Clients on Windows, Mac and Linux with any Apple, Android, Raspberry Pi or TVs that have the Steam Link App

- On Apple devices, you can use Touch Input, MFI controllers, or the Steam Controller paired via Bluetooth

- Steam Link App supports multiple aspect ratios, resolutions and frame rates, including 4k60fps and even 120fps streaming

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Steam Link (hardware + app), I can stream my games to every display in my house, and with the latest update even outside my home. I can't begin to describe how convenient this is.

I don't use Apple products, but I'm glad they got over it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so - I really, really want a physical steamlink but I can't bring myself to pay an inflated price when Valve was practically giving these things away for free!
I picked up like 3 of them from the free table to give to friends, so they were literally giving it away for free. I think I still have mine in its box.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh snap, it could come in handy for my new Apple TV.
But the PC is right next to it anyway, so, why put up with the lag.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Incredible news! I thought this was dead in the water after so long, glad to see Apple finally relented.

It was so frustrating having to use Moonlight on iPad, ended up just using Steam Link on my S7 Edge/Mate 20 Pro because the interface was so much better. Gonna roadtest the hell out of this when I get home.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Does it only work over home WiFi or can I play this over Cellular or Wi-Fi away from home?

Anywhere you want. I recently tested it from a pub in Edinburgh Scotland, with my PC located in London. Flawless, though it certainly demands a network connection, both where your PC is and wherever you are

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Is there anyway for this to support a decent controller? My 4k ATV would be perfect for this otherwise.

Oct 29, 2017
Can't get it to download (seems like iTunes/App Store is quasi-down), but it seems like this supports native Steam Controller pairing, according to the App Store description. If true, I have an 8 Plus, with the thinnest possible case I can get. What's the best controller mount out there?

Is there anyway for this to support a decent controller? My 4k ATV would be perfect for this otherwise.
Yes, the Steam Controller.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want it anymore perhaps we could strike a deal via PM
I'm keen on keeping it and wouldn't want to sell something I got as a gift from an employer, but you can get one used for like $40 on Amazon. I'd honestly suggest waiting or picking up something like a ShieldTV that also has many other uses and is an amazing device overall. I love mine.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I cant get the touch controls to work. They work initially on the menu but when I boot up Batman - Telltale it just doesn't work.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Errr, you can pair a Steam controller with an iOS device?! Holy crap.

Just connected my Steam controller to my iPhone X and streamed Hades to it. Fantastic and flawless.

This is great! Miles better than PS4/Xbox One iOS streaming because I can actually tether a decent controller to it to use. Tested the Steam Controller in OneCast/some other iOS games and it didn't seem to work. Guess it's Steam Link only. Gonna use this a ton.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
QrtIDT1.png

vffmZnR.png

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
Huh, wonder if they loosened up their rules because of XCloud and Stadia? It be a huge loss for Apple to not allow these types of apps.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Damn .... muuuuuuuuuuch smoother than I expected!

What should I do first ...? Play Sekiro on my iPhone just because I can?!

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
This is cool. I was afraid it was never gonna be released after it got rejected and went quiet for so long.

And hopefully some of Valve's iOS devs are now freed up and decide to fix the normal Steam app for iOS :)

Oct 29, 2017
so just messed around with it enough to get it to work, and load and watch the intro of Sam and Max Hit The Road with a Steam Controller connected ($7 phone mount arriving from amazon tomorrow, will REALLY put this thing through the ringer then), but it's on par with the physical Steam Link, but since the phone's screen is smaller it's way harder to read the BPM interface.

Worth noting, and this is probably why this took so long for Apple to accept it: when you kick on streaming, the friends and store features from BPM disappear, meaning you can't chat with friends (Steam App on phone is an OK substitute) or buy games...

Except if you are to "minimize" big picture mode, open up your web browser, navigate to steam, buy the game, open up steam, etc. Bit of a loophole, but it works.

Makes me want to finally dig into some point and clicks I've been letting gather dust in my backlog, and being able to put in some time with House of Fata Morgana before bed... IN bed sounds like just the thing I needed to make me play it

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
so just messed around with it enough to get it to work, and load and watch the intro of Sam and Max Hit The Road with a Steam Controller connected ($7 phone mount arriving from amazon tomorrow, will REALLY put this thing through the ringer then), but it's on par with the physical Steam Link, but since the phone's screen is smaller it's way harder to read the BPM interface.

Worth noting, and this is probably why this took so long for Apple to accept it: when you kick on streaming, the friends and store features from BPM disappear, meaning you can't chat with friends (Steam App on phone is an OK substitute) or buy games...

Except if you are to "minimize" big picture mode, open up your web browser, navigate to steam, buy the game, open up steam, etc. Bit of a loophole, but it works.

Makes me want to finally dig into some point and clicks I've been letting gather dust in my backlog, and being able to put in some time with House of Fata Morgana before bed... IN bed sounds like just the thing I needed to make me play it

Definitely gonna be playing some Fata Morgana on my phone. Perfect.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not seeing it on my iPad

Edit: Nvm, if it's not coming up in search just go through Valve's page from the app store page for the Steam app itself

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
ELI5 questions.

Can I connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to the appletv? Or only controllers?

Are all MiFi controllers crap?

Why is the Steam controller so expensive

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap perfect timing, I just made a steam account on the weekend to play all the trails in the sky games and was about to buy an android tablet just to steam link but i'll just use my ipad now. I just need to find a good ipad controller to use.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017

What phone mount did you order? The fact that you can use a Steam Controller is so good, MFi controllers with mounts have all been terrible for me.