• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
ELI5 questions.

Can I connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to the appletv? Or only controllers?

Are all MiFi controllers crap?

Why is the Steam controller so expensive

- I think only MFI and Steam Controller work with the app on apple devices..
- MFI controllers a pretty shit. No stick clicks either
- Steam Controller is really dope and works especially well with Steam's Input features, more info here https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-input-thread-comfy-couch-would-be-perfect-on-pc.36611/
The controller is on sale every sale, so keep an eye out. A new version has been in the works for some time, but it isn't clear when that will get an announcement and release date

Oct 29, 2017
What phone mount did you order? The fact that you can use a Steam Controller is so good, MFi controllers with mounts have all been terrible for me.
literally the first thing that comes up when you search "Steam Controller Phone Mount".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLY5PB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are 3 reviews that mention Steam Controller. One seems to have jerry rigged a battery pack, a 7 inch tablet, and a Steam controller into it. One who says it broke instantly, and one who says they ordered a second one for their steam controller. Theoretically it SHOULD work no problem, as the body of the Steam Controller and Xbox One controllers (what it's really made for) are roughly the same, but who knows.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Yuuuuuuup, this is pretty legit. I know there are other apps, I've dabbled them with a bit and they seem okay, but being able to go through Steam and BPM is great. Didn't know you could connect the SC directly to an iPad before today though, probably the best use I have for it at this point.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love thiiiiiiiiis.

Also the MFi controller spec now supports L3/R3, so we just have to wait until new controllers and apps to get updated, then it should be 1:1 for Xbox/other controllers

Oct 29, 2017
- I think only MFI and Steam Controller work with the app on apple devices..
- MFI controllers a pretty shit. No stick clicks either
- Steam Controller is really dope and works especially well with Steam's Input features, more info here https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-input-thread-comfy-couch-would-be-perfect-on-pc.36611/
The controller is on sale every sale, so keep an eye out. A new version has been in the works for some time, but it isn't clear when that will get an announcement and release date

"A new steam controller" or a "Steam Controller 2.0" is pretty much a meme in the community at this point. Before the damn thing launched, either at a GDC or a Steam Dev Days talk, there was talk of a revised edition of the controller, and well, it already went through quite a few revisions before release:

valve01.jpg

(that's just a sampling, I know there's another picture with more out there, including the second to final and final revisions, but still)

But generally speaking, nobody really knows what they would add. The thought process is that the Steam Controller is final hardware with beta software. Over the first two years of release, new button and control binding types were added, more controllers supported in software, etc.

Once Index gets out the door, maybe the controller R&D team will set sights on the Steam Controller again, but who knows.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
"A new steam controller" or a "Steam Controller 2.0" is pretty much a meme in the community at this point. Before the damn thing launched, either at a GDC or a Steam Dev Days talk, there was talk of a revised edition of the controller, and well, it already went through quite a few revisions before release:

valve01.jpg

(that's just a sampling, I know there's another picture with more out there, including the second to final and final revisions, but still)

But generally speaking, nobody really knows what they would add. The thought process is that the Steam Controller is final hardware with beta software. Over the first two years of release, new button and control binding types were added, more controllers supported in software, etc.

Once Index gets out the door, maybe the controller R&D team will set sights on the Steam Controller again, but who knows.

Yeah, but biggest change/news was less than a month ago, when one of Valve's patents was published indictating a potential 4 button grip system, and FSR, so less clicky and potentially analogue usage for those grips

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Steelseries Nimbus MFI controller seems a good choice especially since it is also compatible with PS4 Remote Play on IOS too more use cases

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Haven't launched a game, but just navigating BPM on the phone, latency seems solid. I should really plug my physical steam link into the back room's TV eventually

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

valve01.jpg

I've always hoped they would at least get some revised ergonomics in there. The bumpers are too high and too stiff, the grips make you hold it at a weird angle to get your fingers flush, the triggers are chonkers, and the thing's just a smidge too big size-wise. All opinion, of course, but you would think it wouldn't be too much to put out an S version considering all the legwork they'd already done.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The lack of good controller options is a bummer. Might as well get a $30 Fire TV stick and put the app on there and use a bluetooth controller you already own.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues connecting? It's saying that it can't connect on port 27031 for both my iPhone and my iPad. :( Port-fowarded in router and allowed through Windows Firewall.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint testing it on an iPad Pro with a Steam controller is it seems clunky to either play in a letterboxed format or have to change resolutions every time you switch between iPad and PC. I don't know if it's practical to automatically adjust it though

Anyway, definitely seemed pretty smooth and it's nice to have a use for one of my existing controllers on iOS now. Plus the SC supporting BT in general now which I hadn't heard, more practical to use on a laptop then cool.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to work really well and very stable from my experience. Latency is a tad higher than what I'd like so will just stick with story focused games.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Pretty nice, gave it a try on my iPhone X, but will have to see how well it runs when I'm on a different network.
Actually used my PS4 controller (Jailbreak required).

Oct 25, 2017
No support for XB1 controller via Bluetooth kind of kills this for me. I didn't like Steam controller and the MFi options look lame. Hopefully newer controllers with the L3/R3 will be better.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Steam Link on iOS is nuts.

I am get 120hz support on my ipad pro STREAMING from my PC, heck my monitor can only do 75fps.

This is amazing.

tMpYiAY.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. In home streaming has come a long way. Wireless PC to my iPhone XS Max is nearly flawless. Had one tiny hiccup but otherwise clear as day with no perceptible input lag for the few minutes I tried it.

Definitely need a controller, though.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Interested in trying this to play Portal 2 via my MacBook Pro on my Apple TV, but unfortunately I don't have any compatible controllers. Wish I could use my Wii U Pro Controller.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I just tried it and played a bit of Sekiro just with a Xbox One Controller (with wireless adapter) connected to my PC. So just like I would play normally on PC and it worked without lagging. Or am I missing here something?
And the 120 Hz refresh rate on the iPad Pro looks pretty impressive. Under advanced options in the app you can actually enable a performance monitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Much bigger deal to me is that other part of the announcement where they finally allow remote play from PC-to-PC. Finally I can use the bigger laptop screen to play.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I could see messing around with this sometimes, it'll be cool to finally have on my phone.

Reminds me I really should get around to finally trying this out on my OLED since it could use the android version of the app, especially now that Android TV is way better than it used to be thanks to the Oreo version, so I'm finally using the internal apps more.

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Damn. Got the app but I have to go scouring for my Steam controller. I haven't used it for a long time.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steelseries on Twitter hinted at a new version of their Nimbus MFi controller with clickable sticks, now that that's a thing in iOS 12.1 and beyond. Should be coming soon I would imagine, with Apple Arcade hitting in the fall