• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game from the recommendations are you most interested in?

• The Martian

Votes: 52 14.9%
  • Far Cry: Trump's America

Votes: 92 26.4%
  • Hayao Miyazaki's mistake

Votes: 102 29.2%
  • Tinder Simulator

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • What Duke Nukem Forever should have been

Votes: 72 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
BnzJ0vP.png

Hello! Just a quick note that this thread will stay in Gaming for a week and then move to Hangouts.
You can always watch this thread to stay up to date with this thread!

PC Gaming Threads
Steam ID List

cR0CKTx.png

Surviving Mars - Aaron D.
From Haemimont Games (Tropico series), Surviving Mars is a sci-fi city builder all about colonizing Mars and surviving the process. Choose a space agency for resources and financial support before determining a location for your colony. Build domes and infrastructure, research new possibilities and utilize drones to unlock more elaborate ways to shape and expand your settlement. Cultivate your own food, mine minerals or just relax by the bar after a hard day's work. Most important of all, though, is keeping your colonists alive. Not an easy task on a strange new planet.

Far Cry 5 - pantsattack
Ubisoft series is back and, well, when people said Far Cry 4 is more of Far Cry 3 and if Far Cry 5 is more of that it won't be good, yeah... Explore the not so exotic locale of Hope County, Montana, where you can expect to interact with everything with a press of an "E" or down the barrel of a gun. What Far Cry gets right are its levels, so hopefully it has that genuinely fun, surreal, Disneyland-amusement-park feeling. Those outposts, sweet sweet outposts. And you get a dog, I guess. Far Cry 5!

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
- texhnolyze

Take the role as prince Evan in his adventure in the beautifully crafted Ghibli-like world to reclaim his kingdom and protect it from evil in this first ever Level-5 JRPG on PC. Set hundreds of years after the events of the first game, Revenant Kingdom story is more or less standalone. Unlike the slow and boring combat in Ni No Kuni, the sequel combat is action-focused with AI party members which you can switch to control at will. Oh, there's also Kingdom building/management too!

Super Seducer - Hektor
Hey Nerd!
Yes, i'm talking about you!
Do you struggle to get laid?
Do the chicks not pay any attention to you?
Is the only girl that likes you your mom?
Then you might be a betamale!
But with Hektor Hernandez and Super Seducer, you can turn from betacuck to alphacock in just one week!
Including trainingsvideos on "How to approach girls without stumbling" and "The difference between real- and animetiddy", filmed by our highly skilled coaches, even you can become a true chad and get all the bitches you want!
Just folliow our "5 easy steps to get laid" guide and you won't even need basic hygiene!
BUY NOW and get the bonus video "I spiked a girls drink and suddenly i'm part of a #MeToo campaign, what now?" FOR FREE!
(As long as supplies last, self-confidence not included and must be obtained seperately)

Ion Maiden - Mr. Tibbs
Ion Maiden is a shooter that's coupling retro gameplay with truly retro tech, developed using the original Build engine while taking advantage of 20 years of community know-how to create a shooter that wouldn't have been possible in 1996/1997. The team's comprised of veteran modders from the 1990s FPS community, including EDuke32 vets and Duke Nukem 3D mappers, who have created a brand new 8-bit palette, amplifying the era's original aesthetic and creative techniques (think Mega Man 9 and 10) for a modern audience. Considering the team's pedigree (they're like shooter historians who happen to be seriously talented engineers and designers) this project's in good hands! Early access offers a preview campaign, lasting about 3-4 hours, which will be standalone from the full release.

FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - Tonton
The newest entry in the legendary JRPG series finally makes its way to PC as Final Fantasy FXV WINDOWS EDITION. Including all previously released DLC and boasting a wide array of graphical options this is perharps Square Enix greatest effort with the series on the platform yet. Join Noctis, Ignis, Gladios and Prompto on their boyband roadtrip in Ultimate Quality™
Also there's a Gordon Freeman skin if you're still not over Half Life 3

CZmwtvf.png

The game of the month will focus on a game that a person from the community has chosen, the aim? try and complete this game before the month ends! (Send me a PM if you have completed the game.)

Endless Legends - eonden
Endless Legends is a 4x turn based game developed by Amplitude Studios. The setting is in the Endless Universe, where a previous civilization seeded the Universe and Dust (a sort of currency) is of great importance. Here we will be playing as different civilizations with completely different gamestyles over the control of the planet in a high fantasy setting.

As a 4x game, we could compare it with civilization, but there are some additional mechanics that add a lot: the units are much more customizable and can be equiped differently, the subspecies towns have different importance depending on the species you are playing, and more importantly the quest system, which generates different quest to tell you about the world you are living in, as well as adding some extra ways of ending the game. Seasons pay an important role in the game, and similar to GoT, winter duration can vary and will restrict your movement and production for some time.

So about the game of the month, I posted what I would consider "beating" the game, as it is a 4x and doesnt have a story, in the previous thread. But i can make a short summary:
-Play it for a short amount of time at least: 5h-10h (should be around 1 or 2 games)
-Write your opinion of the game, and if you enjoyed it.
I would also recommend to try some different races, as they can change the playstyle quite a bit.
Also, MRORANGE can you add Waking the tiger, the HoI4 dlc to the list? it seems to change the game a lot (similar to Stellaris 2.0)

People who have completed it:

Panda Pedinte

JO5lT6X.png

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.Just buy them!

Xq90JiF.png

• Steam Support - The place to contact steam if you have a problem with the service.
  • Steam Trading Cards - Gain money by selling cards or craft them for cosmetic items.
  • Add funds to your Steam Wallet - You can also buy gift cards at most major gaming retailers.
  • Steam Mobile - Use Steam while away from the PC. Supports iOS and Android.
  • Big Picture Mode - Lets you run Steam on your TV in a more convenient manner.
  • Steam Family Sharing - Share your Steam account with family and friends.
  • Steam Community - A hub of what other steam users have created or are discussing.
  • Steam Workshop - A showcase of Mods for games on Steam.Many are free, but some you now have to pay for.
  • Steam Greenlight - Vote for games that want to be on the Steam store.
  • Steam Stats - Check stats for the top 100 most played games on Steam.
  • So when does the 'Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn' sale start? The Winter Sale should start December 22nd.This thread will be closed after the sale starts.
  • How can I protect my Steam account? - Read: Account Security Recommendations.
  • Store is in another language?! - You used a link that had ?l=blahblah at the end: http://store.steampowered.com/?l=english.
  • Community is in another language?!- http://steamcommunity.com/?l=english.
  • How do I run Steam in offline mode? - Steam Offline Mode Support Page.
  • Is steam down? I can't see my Profile/Friends/Chat/Cloud Saves - See if Steam is running maintenance.
  • Steam won't start or run? - Refresh your Steam files. If it fails: copy steamapps folder and re-install steam.
  • Is using a VPN to get steam games from another region a good idea? - It can result in getting your account banned.
  • Using a VPN to unlock games early?- Most people can unlock games early so that seems to be fine.
  • How do I buy games outside the Steam Client when there is a sale? - Use Steam Mobile.
  • Can I do remote downloading? - Yes, login into the Steam community webpage and select the game to download.
  • How do I track how many players are playing a game over time? - Usesteamcharts.com.
  • One of my grid icons is missing a picture? - Check out this thread!
  • I want to clean up my Steam folder of re-distributed packages - Use TikiOne-Steam-Cleaner.
  • I am running out of space on my HDD, can I move my games? - Steam now supports multiple libraries and moving game installations between them.
  • How can I get some quick Steam cash or trading cards? - Use Steam Idle Master.
  • Where I can download skins for Steam? - Go to Steam Skins, make sure that the skin is safe to use.
  • Can I trade games? - If they are in your inventory then yes, you cannot trade games you already own.
  • Any other places to trade? - Try: SteamCardExchange / TF2 Outpost / SteamTrades /
  • Sites to compare Steam prices regionally ? - SteamPrices or use Enhanced Steam.
  • How do you find info on upcoming releases and updates? - Steam Database is a great tool.
  • Is there a list of games no longer on Steam? - Check this list.
  • Any extensions to use while using Steam site in a browser? - Enhanced Steam
  • Any way to backup games that don't used Steam Cloud? - Use Game Save Manager.
  • I want to compare prices to to other DD sites? - isthereanydeal.com
  • How do I get rid of trade dues for cards?- Use this useful site.
  • How long will it take me to beat game 'X/Y/Z' ? - Check out How Long To Beat.

sHxnM65.png

The SteamERA Community was founded on Discord on October 2017, a stranded bunch of SteamGAF who united together and embraced on what we thought was the end of times. However as more people joined we found hope and soon started to formulate and plan for the future. This thread would not be possible without the community we have on Discord and I encourage all of you to join if you have not.

You can join this amazing community on Discord with this link:

Last edited:

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
How can I know what thread I'm in if there's no mention of Anime? - WOO March thread!

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally buying a game (not even a full version) that truly interests me (haven't bought a game before this since nov). Ion Maiden, you're chosen.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think thats all the recommendations I got for this month, give a shout if I've missed one.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
March already? I feel like a month is over in a week these days
Yeah, feel the same. I feel it was just yesterday that the Great February Purge of 2018 happened, over the terrible Provoking Of The Switch Fanatics. What a terrible chapter in the annals of the SteamEra folk.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Replying here because we have changed threads while I was typing.

How feasible it would be to have the steam review system getting being changed into a customizable one where users could decide what reviews to omit for the score to get a more fitting score for themselves?
For example, a way to blacklist all 1 line reviews, both positive and negative, to cut down on the bullshit a bit to start off, and then manually working down on pearls like

This was probably my favorite Final Fantasy Game of all time. I bought it from Canadian Tire for $100 when I was a kid and played it a ton for SNES. The original SNES cart feels better but that might be me being used to those types of controls. Great story

to make sure the positive and negative reviews that give your personalized score for a game are reviews that are pertinent to the game being sold on the Steam store, with positive and negative points related to the games being sold on the Steam store.

I'm guessing it'd require a lot of rework to make it work seamlessly so every user could get a personalized score and it'd also be an hassle for users as they'd have to go through alot of reviews to decide what qualify as pertinent and what doesn't for their personalized score.

That is more or less what I have been trying to achieve with this Github repository (which has grown in different directions and can be a bit intimidating).

Filtering reviews to remove low-quality reviews can be automated. This is what I have done here.

For reviews written in English, one can compute the subjectivity and polarity and define thresholds, as low-quality reviews are NOT necessarily short (so text length is not a good idea) but they are consistently little subjective or little polarized compared to higher quality reviews (based on my experience with all the reviews written for 3 games).

For reviews not written in English, the situation is a bit more complex. One thing which one can try is to automatically detect the language with Google Translate, as poorly written reviews and ASCII art might be classified with a different language tag compared to the language tag provided by Steam.

Language analysis also helps remove reviews which are wrongly tagged by the user (Chinese or Russian reviews tagged as if they were written in English, etc.).

The main limitation of the approach comes from the fact that Steam API is rate-limited, so downloading reviews for the whole Steam catalog is cumbersome. I had downloaded the reviews for a thousand of gamesout of ~ 15,000 games.
However, for Valve, it would not be a problem, it would be both fast and easy to automatically compute.

Last edited:

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped for March :D

One more week until FFXV. Hopefully GMG doesn't take too long with the keys since the game is supposedly 100 gigs D:

Finishing up Far Cry 4 in the meantime. aka the grenade launching simulator.

PaulSane

Oct 25, 2017
"STEAM | March 2018 - Making the switch to Hangouts in a weeks time"

I wonder if this thread will be overlooked and remain on the gaming side for the whole month with a title like this :p

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, since I don't say much I'll just drop this.

It's basically a fighter shmup doujin thing that's fun and has a better interface for multiplayer compared to the last game's.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you have Fanatical newsletter active check your emails. They sent me a 20%off voucher to use on any of their bundles. Made Nemesis bundle even better of a deal.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was one shot earlier with an answer so ridiculous I thought the whole point of the game was that it was a parody (why I was surprised to learn that the idiot was actually serious).

What is wrong with the kerning?

It's the font default in those banners.

What software would you recommend? Using PS CS4 btw.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This is the month of dreams.

I hope y'all are ready for the final mosh pit.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with the kerning?
Uh, everything (as in, there's no adjustment at all).

The problem is that you have equidistant spacing, but English letters don't all occupy the same space. It kind of just looks like a mess (I mean, just look at the difference in spacing between the letters in "RECOMMENDATIONS").

As for what to do about it, since it's just a small number of static images, I would honestly just do it manually (by eye; you don't have to get out the graph paper and the compass or anything).

Last edited:

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
I think thats all the recommendations I got for this month, give a shout if I've missed one.
Would you consider an early access game? If so, I can't recommend Ion Maiden, developed by Voidpoint, enough!

Ion Maiden is a shooter that's coupling retro gameplay with truly retro tech, developed using the original Build engine while taking advantage of 20 years of community know-how to create a shooter that wouldn't have been possible in 1996/1997. The team's comprised of veteran modders from the 1990s FPS community, including EDuke32 vets and Duke Nukem 3D mappers, who have created a brand new 8-bit palette, amplifying the era's original aesthetic and creative techniques (think Mega Man 9 and 10) for a modern audience. Considering the team's pedigree (they're like shooter historians who happen to be seriously talented engineers and designers) this project's in good hands! Early access offers a preview campaign, lasting about 3-4 hours, which will be standalone from the full release.

bgdeY5Y.png

I'm finally buying a game (not even a full version) that truly interests me (haven't bought a game before this since nov). Ion Maiden, you're chosen.
Good choice!

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
There was one shot earlier with an answer so ridiculous I thought the whole point of the game was that it was a parody (why I was surprised to learn that the idiot was actually serious).
i kind of want a parody of this game now

Lmfao, "Do you know what I like in a girl? My dick."

You'd have to be a real Ryan Gosling type to get away with a pickup line like that - yeeeesh
ye i'd shoot u in the knee if u come at me with that line

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Did Era introduce a scroll bounce like on iPhones? When I click a quoted post and it's on the page it happens. Maybe it's a Firefox thing. I never noticed it before now.
Uh, everything (as in, there's no adjustment at all).

The problem is that you have equidistant spacing, but English letters don't all occupy the same space. It kind of just looks like a mess (I mean, just look at the difference in spacing between the letters in "RECOMMENDATIONS").

As for what to do about it, since it's just a small number of static images, I would honestly just do it manually (by eye; you don't have to get out the graph paper and the compass or anything).
I didn't notice that either. It sure could be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.