• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game from the recommendations are you most interested in?

• The Martian

Votes: 52 14.9%
  • Far Cry: Trump's America

Votes: 92 26.4%
  • Hayao Miyazaki's mistake

Votes: 102 29.2%
  • Tinder Simulator

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • What Duke Nukem Forever should have been

Votes: 72 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn War Of The Chosen's install size is huge, 30 GB for what I thought was DLC.

It's huge because it ships with most of content from base game again. (instead of reusing files for base game).
It would probably been much smaller (in total) if they just shipped all game and made it separate entry/app (even if requiring ownership of Xcom 2).

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I swear, Oblivion makes my CPU loud.

Is this common? I'm on a 6600k and with not a lot of mods, I only have the patches and a blood texture mod.

Odd a game from 2005 is making my pc loud

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, in light of current events I totally think the next Deus Ex game, besides hopefully dealing with the rise of MJ12, should explicitly tackle the issue of social media data manipulation and harvesting information to influence certain groups of people. It would be way more fitting to the original than that "Aug Lives Matter" nonsense of Mankind Divided.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, Oblivion makes my CPU loud.

Is this common? I'm on a 6600k and with not a lot of mods, I only have the patches and a blood texture mod.
Do you have V-sync turned on? It sounds like something may not be throttling right.

I don't have it installed right now, but I don't remember any excessive CPU usage when I was playing around with it (vanilla) last year.

Odd a game from 2005 is making my pc loud
Probably not that surprising. Some games back then seem to have been made on the assumption that it would always take work to run them, so they don't always limit themselves to behaving sanely without user intervention.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Do you have V-sync turned on? It sounds like something may not be throttling right.

Probably not that surprising. Some games back then seem to have been made on the assumption that it would always take work to run them, so they don't always limit themselves to behaving sanely without user intervention.

I don't have it installed right now, but I don't remember any excessive CPU usage when I was playing around with it (vanilla) last year.
Yeah I have vsyn on, that may be why it's making my pc sweat, might turn on triple buffering rn to test it out cause I hate the screen tearing from
no vsync.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Attack on Titan 2 is easily the best KOEI Tecmo game on the PC
Attack on Titan 2 has just been released on the PC and we are happy to report that this is THE BEST Koei Tecmo game on Steam. To be honest, after Dynasty Warriors 9 we were a bit worried about the state of the next KOEI Tecmo PC game. However, Attack on Titan 2 actually 'feels' like a PC game.

The game comes with a respectable amount of graphics settings, supports keyboard and mouse from the get-go, and displays proper mouse+keyboard on-screen indicators. Yes, finally KOEI Tecmo and Omega Force are offering what most of us have been asking for these past two (or even more) years. We also did not experience any performance issues. Although Attack on Titan 2 is locked at 60fps, our GTX980Ti was able to offer a constant 60fps experience at 1080p.
Lol what's happening.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Vanquish on PC on hard and I don't know why I'm having an easier time than on xbox360. Not sure if I'm better or the 60fps is making a difference.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
UTCZfnoae2rdmkFeNATJBZYkKeXotesaaMzQlTygfGOfUp5i-XRiUN_C5PBH7lPRm4D7yveauUxb6XrOFMtphdsfWQo40l65kp0ejJvC4cwcX8QE7xAP8nrh9tpRLRdSzYUNYUezwXeudVPS0ktZN36lAyo3jvppz34U5k-avNlGXp_FZHHIk-Ldunv6cwEe3HQLCaC8Bc3RakYPDh0myfxcPEJxWDQ=w512-h287-nc
0ACF4C3F9A54343A6F6D8BAC9836F42E7A5BFA1D

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Alright, guys! Assault Gunners HD came out today on Steam! It's currently ten percent off, taking it from ten bucks down to nine for the vanilla experience or from twelve bucks down to eleven for the enhanced experience. I'm gonna tell y'all what I think about it after playing with it for some hours!

EDIT: Second zero, launch menu-- what the fuck is this port?

94RVntH.png

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
sHxnM65.png

The link has been added back to the OP, if you would like to join
It might be a good idea to hide the actual link under a hide tag, like this ->
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Might help protect innocent people in the Internet from the Steam Era Discord.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The link has been added back to the OP, if you would like to join

Joined on up! In the meantime, I've continued my descent into the bowels of this game.

Guys, remember when I said it screamed Armored Core? This thing is now vuvuzela-ing Armored Core directly into my ears with its droning, synth soundtrack. Its setting is the same as that of Armored Core 2, it is worth noting. And apparently one of the weapons you can unlock in the tutorial mission is called the MAC 11? Which is just... weird. Anyways. Every mission has a series of lootable parts associated with it so I'm gonna try to run the tutorial on Hard Mode to see if I can get the most possible.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It might be a good idea to hide the actual link under a hide tag, like this ->
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Might help protect innocent people in the Internet from the Steam Era Discord.
We've actually progressively worked on isolating the more uh, questionable, material. =)

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Having completed the first tutorial, I can say certain things.

-This game takes inspirations from ACs 1, 2, and 3 in terms of aesthetic designs. It is distinct from AC in that your energy gauge also powers your shield for non-regenerating health? This is basically like if your Primal Armor and EN meter were combined in Armored Core For Answer. This game apes the circular HUD of Armored Core 5 and Armored Core Verdict Day. The enemies may as well have been ripped off from any one of those games. Take your pick.

However, there are some distinctions. For one, Assault Gunners HD also apes Monster Hunter. Now, Armored Core had normal and hard modes of every mission, and they would give you different unlocks. Where things get weird here is that Assault Gunners HD layers a levelup system to the gameplay mechanic of Armored Core. While AC4 and AC4A did have something like that in that it had character points gated behind performance; here, as long as you don't die, you gain XP. And you get more XP the more you grind out missions, rather than character points being a one-time thing once you got a certain performance. Weapons and parts are mission-unique like in AC, but drop off of enemies randomly in the form of hovering blue cubes. In AC, Hard Mode would change the mission parameters to be less forgiving-- you'd have a time limit, or new enemies would show up, or something would happen to fuck your mech. Here, Hard Mode boosts enemy damage significantly, meaning that a regular mook can just chunk your whole shield bar in one hit and dig into your permanent health. This gives the mission a MonHun-esque "high rank mission" feel where nothing's changed but the boys are much beefier and you're much more fragile. This is especially concerning since if your shields are chunked, you can't boost, which means no boost dodging. Which means taking more damage. I can see how a feedback loop might take place. This also means that, unlike AC, jetting to cover ground can be a more tactical decision if enemies decide to pop into existence. Which they can do. A currency system is altogether missing from this game-- you cannot buy parts in the store because there is no store. Unlocks are only through missions. Which means there's no penalty for failing a mission-- you just lose your unlocks. Different parts have different stats, but the thing is, leveling up increases your stats as well. So this game kind of cheapens the whole deal behind careful, precise mech design, since you can roll out in a fucking Yugo and be beast if your level's high enough, it seems. Then again, I got different stat boosts in between levels, so maybe this has been something like balanced. Unlocking all the components on the first mission took enough time to get me to level up twice though. Remains to be seen.

What's interesting is this game automatically sets you up with a squad of three other AI-controlled mechs that you can modify to your whims and control around. They're nothing special, and you can customize them them. You can also tell them to fuck off and run missions solo, which is the only way to be for Mission 1, mostly because enemies they kill will not drop parts while enemies you kill will, and you get XP for every enemy you kill and not ones they kill. It's not hard to dodge lasers and the like so far, but maybe that changes as we get deeper into the game.

I will say this-- the controls are a bit janky. Dodging is directional based on which way you're moving, so you have to be standing still to jump. You use your face buttons only for switching weapons and the A button does nothing. Trigger buttons aren't used. This was made for a Vita, so I can kind of understand, but at the same time I really can't. Going to check for button configurations later. Dodging is on the same button as your hover dash (think like a sprint in a Dark Souls game) but you tap the button for one and hold it for the other. Animations are... somewhat jerky and unpolished. The game does include some graphical overhauls over the Vita version such as bloom and normal mapping certain surfaces. Your mech is shiny.

The Mac 11 is, in fact... a submachine gun and clear reference to the real life gun, the Mac-11. Why is my mech sporting a fuckin' 90's machine pistol? FUCK IF I KNOW. Gosh I hope there's something ridiculous like a ten foot long Kalashnikov in this game.

Despite all this, I can't say I hate the game yet. I'm enjoying my time with it. Load times are blazingly fast and despite the... prodigious smoke effects on missiles, I can't seem to slow down the game at all no matter how many I spam. And let me tell you, you can spam like a motherfucker in this game. You get eighty missiles with your bog standard launcher set you start the game with. Next mission is a defense mission and I'm going to see how running solo affects things.

EDIT: NOPE! No control configs.

EDIT2: Soloed the second mission in 3.5 minutes. The enemies did not go for the thing we're supposed to defend, which makes me believe the only risk is if your AI friendly fires into the targets. Speaking of friendly fire, did you know the player gets to choose whether that's on or off, and there's no penalty or reward associated with the choice?

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
While you can say the game has been technically released since this past Friday, Pato Box can now finally be bought on the Steam store.

It's a narrative take on the Punch-Out!! formula.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
OgpDyVX.jpg

never felt closer to saoirse

i can see why ppl didn't like this game, there's definitely some critical flaws in pacing and gameplay in the way that you have long stretches of just reading through diaries and slowly walking around listening to dialogue, and also the tv show is very boring, but i actually enjoy the combat a lot and i really enjoy the universe and the characters they've created as well as the general tone of the thing

i've been doing a self imposed rule of doing only handguns for some reason which is kind of a fun challenge since you're really overpowered in this game and also hangungs are just really cool

i just may skip the tv show next time

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
Ok, in light of current events I totally think the next Deus Ex game, besides hopefully dealing with the rise of MJ12, should explicitly tackle the issue of social media data manipulation and harvesting information to influence certain groups of people. It would be way more fitting to the original than that "Aug Lives Matter" nonsense of Mankind Divided.
How about looking at what made the original deus ex good: all conspiracy theories mashed together. Dont take current events. It makes the game dated and it will have heavy handed bullshit.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
OK, so I found out that there is a development tree in Assault Gunners where you use some points you get (but can't seem to lose) to unlock and level up your parts. So it's kind of a store, but kind of not. The fact that you level up each of these parts individually is kind of interesting in terms of departing from the series.

The game's actually killed me once so far. Not in the most fair way, as enemies spawned on all sides of me and set up a killbox, but the game is trying, at least. The game's trying. It does do this thing that I'm not a fan of where sometimes buying DLC will get you ultra-powerful parts unlocked from the start, and I'm not a fan of that, but it's still sort of whatever, yunno? Just don't use those parts. The hard part then is figuring out which powerful parts you've unlocked by gameplay and which the game just kinda threw at you. That much is not so fun. You can't seem to upgrade weapons, which is a relief, because that would be busted otherwise.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
OgpDyVX.jpg

never felt closer to saoirse

i can see why ppl didn't like this game, there's definitely some critical flaws in pacing and gameplay in the way that you have long stretches of just reading through diaries and slowly walking around listening to dialogue, and also the tv show is very boring, but i actually enjoy the combat a lot and i really enjoy the universe and the characters they've created as well as the general tone of the thing

i've been doing a self imposed rule of doing only handguns for some reason which is kind of a fun challenge since you're really overpowered in this game and also hangungs are just really cool

i just may skip the tv show next time
I actually started this up myself. I'm still on the first junction where you just switch characters. When I originally grabbed the game a few months ago I uninstalled it after being disappointed with the performance with upscaling disabled, but with folks here talking about how that's to be expected with that off I decided to suck it up and play in Vaseline-vision™ and have been enjoying it. But yeah, this game is kidding itself if it's expecting me to care to not only find all the collectibles but read through all the banal logs and e-mails and newspaper snippets. No thanks. I'm here to throw time grenades and have weighty shootouts with really nice effects, and so far, it's delivering.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Reminds of Durante: Expert in GPU technology, but little to no actual game dev experience. Of course, they don't have to develop a game here, just make it run better than it currently does. I wouldn't expect any miracles, but it sounds like a smart move on part of Nisa.

Durante was already a household name before he started working on Cold Steel PC though. His work in PC community has been a known quantity long before that. Anyway, I'm not doubting Tin Giant's technical skills, but at this stage, they're still an unknown quantity in the PC platform.

Of course, if anyone here is more familiar with the work Tin Giant has done apart from that one Vita game, I'd be interested to know more.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
I actually started this up myself. I'm still on the first junction where you just switch characters. When I originally grabbed the game a few months ago I uninstalled it after being disappointed with the performance with upscaling disabled, but with folks here talking about how that's to be expected with that off I decided to suck it up and play in Vaseline-vision™ and have been enjoying it. But yeah, this game is kidding itself if it's expecting me to care to not only find all the collectibles but read through all the banal logs and e-mails and newspaper snippets. No thanks. I'm here to throw time grenades and have weighty shootouts with really nice effects, and so far, it's delivering.
to be fair, some of the emails/logs are very entertaining but yeah, i think this game suffers from something i've been seeing in a lot of games, this whole obsession with unnecessary infodumps like you need to know all the backstory behind every game you play

some things are better left to the imagination, and it's mosty definitely not fun to go into batman mode every 5 seconds to find that crap

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Chapter 5 of the main Silver Case story is hysterical. One huge twist after another and each cancels out the last and whoever told the old one gets shot.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 1 gifts from Chairmanchuck!

This is a first come first serve giveaway. The first user with a valid entry will win the prize!

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

Kingdom New Lands -- GB-b1c81330-f8e3-4368-9165-8b6b9b85d886 - Won by htp314

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the sensible thing to do when focussing on decreasing your backlog is to buy 6 games in the IGF sale xD

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 3 gifts from spiel!

This is a raffle that will expire in a day. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

t1521703323z0.png

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

N++ -- GB-5c391c82-95a7-404f-b7c0-b88af0204594 - Won by The Cat With a LightBulb
Worms Clan Wars -- GB-c0d63b10-7732-42d0-ac35-a374345759c8 - Won by FeedMeAStrayCat
Day of the Tentacle Remastered -- GB-8f1bd5c0-fab0-4690-9b24-ed547291d94f - Won by flkRaven

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017
Are there any good ways to use Amazon gift card money to get Steam games?
I have some on my balance that I would like to use to get some VR games, but the gift cards they sell aren't digital like Nintendo ones are.

They have to be shipped, and are marked up quite a bit at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.