• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game from the recommendations are you most interested in?

• The Martian

Votes: 52 14.9%
  • Far Cry: Trump's America

Votes: 92 26.4%
  • Hayao Miyazaki's mistake

Votes: 102 29.2%
  • Tinder Simulator

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • What Duke Nukem Forever should have been

Votes: 72 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What controllers are you peeps using with PC? I really can't settle on one thanks to all of them having some issues.
Xbox One and Steam Controller aren't perfect fit for hand, DS4 support gets bit wonky with Steam at times and sometimes the Bluetooth can lag up, and Switch ProCon requires sketch 3rd party software.
I use my Sixaxis (wired). Really light and it usually gives me no issues (well, apart from the fact I'm forced to have xbox buttons UI).

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
What controllers are you peeps using with PC? I really can't settle on one thanks to all of them having some issues.
Xbox One and Steam Controller aren't perfect fit for hand, DS4 support gets bit wonky with Steam at times and sometimes the Bluetooth can lag up, and Switch ProCon requires sketch 3rd party software.
I use the DS4 wired mainly because I like its form factor and can use gyro with the Steam configuration
When using the Steam link app I use a wireless Xbox 360 pad
I wanted to try a Steam Controller but it's not officially sold here and I only find it too expensive on grey market sellers

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This... doesn't work, though. You make a niche strategy/simulation title and your best hope is to be quietly admired. Coverage of strategy and simulation games is nonexistant on mainstream sites, unless you're The Sims or Civilization. This makes you invisible on Steam, and because discovery is nonexistant a user's best hope of finding these games is to stumble into them via related tags.

Like, there's a developer on Steam working hard on retro CRPGs. That seems like a sustainable market right, since it is such an underserved niche? Well, Spiderweb Software, makers of Avernum, Avadon, and Geneforge, has been met with increasing irrelevance as Steam has grown. And Jeff Vogel, the sole dev of Spiderweb Software, saw it coming years ago. (I read this ages ago, but IIRC it's still pretty apt today.)

The problem is, Steam is too big. It's not Valve's fault, not the developer/publishers' fault, and not the users' fault; it's just too much. Steam has become an appstore and everyone is paying the price.

Yet, AGEOD, a hardcore strategy dev thrives in their niche.

Making a 2D puzzle platformer is riskier than a "mount and blade" or "xcom" clone.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So, done with Ghost of a Tale
header.jpg

Really beautiful game, loved my time with it. The gameplay involves mostly sneaking your way around the castle and finding various things without getting killed. I really liked the idea of wearing various costumes that change how the Rats around you react to you. It's also very heavy in side-content, essentially doubling the length of the game from maybe 7 to 15 hours. It's inspiration, the Redwall novels, is pretty clear, but it does actually features its own interesting setting. I feel that it could have been fleshed out more, you really only read about it in footnotes, very few is actually talked about, which makes it all seem like it happens somewhere else, far off. I also feel there is very little actual plot going on, but I can't get into this without spoilers. I would like to see a sequel that explores the setting a bit more, how the mice are being suppressed by the Rats, and other things.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend anyone play it just now. A lot of small glitches, that are pretty easy to ignore, but in my case I couldn't even finish the game, because in the final level a critical thing was literally missing. I ended up viewing it on Youtube, and yep, it's just not in my save. I would have to go back about 2 to 3 hours to redo most of it, and even then I have 0 guarantee it might not already be too late. So that's pretty much it. I just watched the ending sequence on Youtube. It's nice, but very little actual pay off in the plot.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So, done with Ghost of a Tale
header.jpg

Really beautiful game, loved my time with it. The gameplay involves mostly sneaking your way around the castle and finding various things without getting killed. I really liked the idea of wearing various costumes that change how the Rats around you react to you. It's also very heavy in side-content, essentially doubling the length of the game from maybe 7 to 15 hours. It's inspiration, the Redwall novels, is pretty clear, but it does actually features its own interesting setting. I feel that it could have been fleshed out more, you really only read about it in footnotes, very few is actually talked about, which makes it all seem like it happens somewhere else, far off. I also feel there is very little actual plot going on, but I can't get into this without spoilers. I would like to see a sequel that explores the setting a bit more, how the mice are being suppressed by the Rats, and other things.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend anyone play it just now. A lot of small glitches, that are pretty easy to ignore, but in my case I couldn't even finish the game, because in the final level a critical thing was literally missing. I ended up viewing it on Youtube, and yep, it's just not in my save. I would have to go back about 2 to 3 hours to redo most of it, and even then I have 0 guarantee it might not already be too late. So that's pretty much it. I just watched the ending sequence on Youtube. It's nice, but very little actual pay off in the plot.

didnt they just patch it to fix all the bugs? or so they said?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
didnt they just patch it to fix all the bugs? or so they said?
Looked up my particular issue in the last two patches, and it's not mentioned.
If you want to know:
You are supposed to carry "brisance", which is sort a natural explosive in their world, to a certain point and make it go off. The source for the brisance is literally missing. It was there before, but in my last save it was gone. I even reloaded something from half an hour ago, nope, the same. I might have to back 3 hours, but honestly, as I said, that's just too bothersome, for a rather simple end sequence you might as well watch on Youtube.
Maybe I was just unlucky, it can't be too common an issue. Then again, according to Steam only 5% of people have finished the game, so who knows.

EDIT:

Now I found this, lol: (http://steamcommunity.com/app/417290/discussions/0/2650805212053445553/)
It spawns randomly on the shore line, though it didn't do that in the video I have seen, from earlier in March. What the hell.
I'll just check this again, now I'm curious. Though at any rate that final level is terribly designed if that's the case.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike using the DS4 wired. It feels like the wire is only loosely connected and that it can fall off any moment.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now I finished it properly. I still think that level is dumb, even for video games.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
The main reason I don't use my DS4 is the "X" key difference and the fact that very few PC games have playstation prompts.

Played Bioshock Infinite over the last few days, first time since release, look stunning for a 5 year old game. Great lighting, still drags a bit near the end.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
To be honest, that idea is actually pretty smart.

Tying Cryptocurrency mining to health will lead to a healthier population and save a lot public healthcare money in the long run.

someguyinahat

Oct 25, 2017
Finally decided to get going on Xanadu Next. Really fun game. What's NOT fun is missing a memoir and the only walkthrough is from 2007 with fan-translated names and also apparently missing stuff...and the area maps in the Steam guides also seem inaccurate.

Actually went back to GAF's Xanadu Next thread for answers. One guy asked for the same memoir I did and nobody answered him. Sigh.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Tying Cryptocurrency mining to health will lead to a healthier population and save a lot public healthcare money in the long run.
Would you like to invest in my new line of Cryptocurrency Treadmill, Elliptical, Bicycle and my coming Crypto-gym where you won't have to pay a membership fee as long as you make more coins than the initial costs....

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I imagine that it'd just lead to people stuffing their mouths with toothbrushes and suffocating themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up FC5, seems fun and have finished all FC games except for Malariabore 2 so why not.
So far I'm having a blast with it. :)

And Arcade mode is a fun diversion.
There are a lot of crappy maps (Ubisoft needs to improve map filtering a bit), but the ones done by Ubisoft, and a few others are actually a fun way to spend 15-30 minutes, while doing the weekly Uplay challenges to earn currency and perks for the game.
I'm hoping that, as time goes by, and users become more familiar with the editing tools, the mapping efforts will improve in quality. Since the assets included are quite lovely in terms of visuals, and taken from several Ubisoft franchises (and they will add more for free in the near future) there's some potential to do some fun stuff.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
erm why the fuck has the developer of borderless gaming app updated it so it opens ads in your browser on launch?

He's also silencing anyone who says anything about it too

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Never played it but all i remember about Remember Me is seein gifs of her butt and images of the game's good art direction. Death of the Outsider seems way better so far :p

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god bless my laziness of downloading BG free off the actual site and never updating it ahhh bliss

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Is it just me or have they changed the way scaling works in grid view in the client recently? I don't remember things looking so bad. It's nearest neighbor now, which looks horrible for most things but especially text. Even pixel art doesn't look good since it's scaling down rather than up.

hLEcwol.png

Nearest neighbor (Steam) vs. linear interpolation (GIMP)

Is it just me (GPU settings or something, haven't changed anything there) or is it everyone? Is it new or has it always been this way and I'm misremembering?

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone heard anything about Ubisoft releasing the game Ode on Steam?
The game is very cheap on their current Ubisoft store sale, which ends today, but I would prefer to buy it on Steam, for convenience, if the game may yet be released on the platform.
But since it's been close to 4 months since it was released, I wonder if it's pointless to wait for something that may remain Uplay exclusive.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Finally decided to get going on Xanadu Next. Really fun game. What's NOT fun is missing a memoir and the only walkthrough is from 2007 with fan-translated names and also apparently missing stuff...and the area maps in the Steam guides also seem inaccurate.

Actually went back to GAF's Xanadu Next thread for answers. One guy asked for the same memoir I did and nobody answered him. Sigh.
How far are you? You don't exactly get all memoirs in order for a reason so you might not have missed it

^lmao i always miss that one :p

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, so Call of Juarez: The Cartel is delisted too, never got around to buy that one.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Will Fighting EX Layer be getting a PC release? I loved the Street Fighter EX series as a kid.
That is sadly unknown at this point. As is ARIKA are a small team and they're betting everything on the PS4 ver. which is the only known ver. of the game atm.
If anything maybe one of the well renowed PC publishers could help with the PC/Steam release such as Ghostlight or Playism Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.