• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game from the recommendations are you most interested in?

• The Martian

Votes: 52 14.9%
  • Far Cry: Trump's America

Votes: 92 26.4%
  • Hayao Miyazaki's mistake

Votes: 102 29.2%
  • Tinder Simulator

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • What Duke Nukem Forever should have been

Votes: 72 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Good to see that my parking skills don't bother the neighbours much.

MTsEivU.jpg

I'm quite proud of this park job I managed to pull off in GTA5 a few weeks ago:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In Mafia 3, Lincoln Clay can hover-stand on top of bushes. (Unfortunately there's no jump button so you really need some height to get up there to begin with.)

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I cant do it.

Man, GTA1 and GTA2 are simply unplayable for me.

The fact that the map is the way it is was bad enough but to top it all off is the control scheme, it was confusing on controller but damn, its even confusing on keyboard.

I did play a bit of both but I'm sticking with 3D GTA lmao.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
there are too many games right now, I just dunno what to play. 1st world problems
I bought so many games during the Winter Sale, so I am doing only sensible things: I don't play any of those, but instead I finally beat Final Fantasy 6 last month (on the SNES Classic) and I finished Ending A of the original Nier this weekend (on the PS3).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super tempted by World of FF, but I'm not sure what would be more enjoyable - that or Battlechasers.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I'm super tempted by World of FF, but I'm not sure what would be more enjoyable - that or Battlechasers.

I thought battle chasers was interesting but ultimately boring because it had exclusively combat going for it.

WoFF also has that pokemon aspect of collecting and developing your monsters which I found to be much more engaging.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
First Max Payne feels so basic and quick save heavy, tho I always remember thinking 2 was much better.
And 3 even more so ❤️
I consider Max Payne 2 to be about as perfect a sequel a game could ask for. It basically took everything good about Max Payne, made it better, and cut all the fat. I could really take a dive back into Noir York and soak in that never-ending rainy atmosphere again.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I cant do it.

Man, GTA1 and GTA2 are simply unplayable for me.

The fact that the map is the way it is was bad enough but to top it all off is the control scheme, it was confusing on controller but damn, its even confusing on keyboard.

I did play a bit of both but I'm sticking with 3D GTA lmao.
Tank controls man. They are fun arcadey games tho, but I've never finished them myself.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
First Max Payne feels so basic and quick save heavy, tho I always remember thinking 2 was much better.
And 3 even more so ❤️
you can do just fine on normal by just quicksaving after every room like checkpoints

quicksave can get you in more trouble than save you in that game

ahh, too much for me

I consider Max Payne 2 to be about as perfect a sequel a game could ask for. It basically took everything good about Max Payne, made it better, and cut all the fat. I could really take a dive back into Noir York and soak in that never-ending rainy atmosphere again.
sadly the story is kinda bad in 2 imo

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

The one thing stopping me from revisting MP1 is the damn baby nightmare levels.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Here's a pretty interesting thing I came across on Twitter

I recommend checking out the whole story even though it is a bit long (and split into 4 parts). The gist of it is that this guy was basically hired out of college by Ubi in France. He gave up that job to go to work at CDPR in Poland for a lower salary (because of the lower cost of living there). He then talks about his financial struggles, having to pay off student loans and living in less than ideal conditions. He brought up his financial situation with the folks at CDPR but they essentially kept delaying promotions and pay hikes. It took him about 3 years of working there to get his salary back up to the level he was getting when he left his job at Ubi. He also talks about how bad the work-life balance was and, in his own words, his life story from ages 23 to 26 is basically working on the Witcher 3.

He eventually left and he says things got a lot better after that, but it does not paint a good picture for the company. And despite all this, he is conflicted about whether it was okay or not because he ultimately got the Witcher 3 onto his resume, and that will open many doors for him in the future. Imagine this same kind of thing happening but instead of TW3 you ended up working on something like Homefront for example. All the sacrifices made wouldn't even be worth it. Life can be a bitch sometimes.

Oh, i remember that "One week to make a game" test, caught me completely off the guard. I had design document for my project i've made to apply on game designer position in local IT company (they liked it, but i was studying in different city and they were looking only for full-time employers so it didn't worked out), so when i saw news about CDPR hiring i decided to give it a try, translated my work on english and sent it to them, but their HR insisted on playable game. I had 0 experience with game editors and it was before Unreal Engine 4 released, so i fired up Neverwinter Nights 2 editor as it was suggested as option in CDPR mail and tried to make anything playable. That was a disaster just as expected, it took 3 days to download the game, and i never played NWN2 before so i had no idea what all those 10d2 damage and other numbers meant. Moreover, for some reasons editor successfully compiling only project that you did in one sit, loading saved file and compiling it for some unknown reasons causing in-game crash during module loading. No wonder they didn't replied after that, but it was a great lesson for me that i shouldn't go to game companies without at least one game made. Still working on that...

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the main story is moderately tactical. It's mostly pretty easy, then certain battles are tough and you gotta know what you're doing (hint: magic is overpowered, so if you can keep your mages alive, so much the better.)

Post-game content requires grinding. You can pass ordinances for tougher enemies, you can go through Item World where enemies get exponentially tougher with each level, you can play Etna Mode where enemies start at a higher level, etc.

Do you consider there to be no strategy in other RPGs? Because you can grind in just about any RPG to make fights trivial. There is a lot of optional content in Disgaea and that's really what the grinding is about but if you look up guides on how to power level you can do some stuff earlier on to make your characters destroy any story content but it takes really specific strategies. You may find some on your own? For example, there's one story level (5-3?) where most the ground is invincible so I'd toss all enemies atop one another to make much higher level enemies, throw them on a square that's not invincible, and then have my invincible team take it out. You can gain some quick levels that way if you find you're feeling a little weak. There are much better methods to level but that's an obvious one I saw when I played through it years ago.

If you stick to the story you'll reach spots where it feels like you hit a little bit of a wall, typically. But the thing is that there is a lot of goofy things you can do to be tactical so even if you feel underleveled you can usually figure out some method to get through most story fights without having to grind but doing a few grinding sessions in a level can definitely smooth things over. I usually get to the point that only two or three of my characters do all the damage and everyone else I use to throw in specific ways to either throw enemies together to hit with big attacks from my fighting few or toss allies or enemies around to be on the different colored squares.
Disgaea 2 I thought was a huge improvement on tactics. While I did some dumb stuff in the first to survive in the second game I felt like I was barely hanging on by doing the stupidest strategies that took far too much effort yet somehow I'd always come out ahead.
Tactical in the sense of it plays like a jRPG tactics game like FFTactics, Tactics Ogre, etc however the grinding part comes from the fact that the max lv is 9999.
Of course there's strategy but you can easily powerlevel a character and breeze through maps.
You dont honestly have to do that, I finished the game with my main characters at lv 80s.
The grinding part becomes important when you wanna do the post game stuff like Item World, side quests which require you to be at a higher level with high end equips otherwise you will get massacred. There's also the Rebirth/reincarnation feature which allows you to reincarnate your character where they end up at lv 1 but gain back the stats that they had before reincarnation but lets you gain additional stats - so give or take, you did reincarnation at lv 100, if you level back up to lv 100 , it'll be like you are at lv 200 but it shows as lv 100. There's more to it and I'm probably explaining it a bit wrong but ya it requires you a lot of grinding if you wanna do some of the high end stuff post game.
One of the post game side quest end bosses is lv 2000, my strongest character which has been reincarnated at least once and is at this level shown in the below screenshot would easily get one shotted by her.
(I'm 118 hours into the game, I kinda stopped few months ago but will try again to do grinding lol)
Thanks for taking the time and writing these detailed answers! I suppose I'll give the game a try later.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I never parked a car badly in video games because I'm just that good, but my brother did an excellent job in Borderlands 1 back in the day.

037A8BAD12F390DB9395A0A4CD36704082BF47D9

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So far I've already beaten three games this month. Not too bad.

THOTH is a great time but really short. The Sexy Brutale would have likely been in my top ten for that year (was that last year or the year before?) the year it came out if I had played through it then. And Lumino City is pretty fun and I think the manual is fantastic but there's too many frustrating "puzzles" sprinkled through it. Huge improvement over Lume, though.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft China posted an article on wechat (a messaging platform in China) yesterday, asking fans which dynasty(s) they want if next Assassin's Creed entry set in China. The article in question (Chinese only): https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Mss62kKrh5QshF4BbAZX_w

Are we really getting Assassin's Creed Dynasty? BTW, feel free to translate and open a new thread for it. I am heading outside.

Oh must've missed that when i last checked, thanks. Looks indeed like normal steam update time, had hoped for a midnight release. :(
You are welcome. :)

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft China posted an article on wechat (a messaging platform in China) yesterday, asking fans which dynasty(s) they want if next Assassin's Creed entry set in China. The article in question (Chinese only): https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Mss62kKrh5QshF4BbAZX_w

Are we really getting Assassin's Creed Dynasty? BTW, feel free to translate and open a new thread for it. I am heading outside.

No matter what era they choose China will be interesting setting.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Unfortunately AC Dynasty has nothing to do with China. As much as i'd love an AC game set there.

(Also wtf, no Three Kingdoms period?)

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Monster Slayers, and don't know how similar it would be to Slay the Spire, but as someone who's tested nearly 90% of card game titles available on PC, and has sunk in well over a thousand hours (semi-competitively, with top legend finishes) into Hearthstone, I can guarantee, even sight unseen for all other games, that StS is the best card game available to play right now.

It's well balanced, it's developed by people who ran the huge Netrunner community site Stimhack, it's got multiple praise articles and cosigns from RPS/Julian Gallop, it's basically the best roguelike deckbuilder at the moment (sorry, Peter Whalen), it's easily the most well-balanced card game (and I'm generally quick to criticize on that front), and it's one of the most polished EA games on the market, with multiple features continuously being added, and extremely involved and responsive devs. I hadn't been this impressed with how a game was handled until Into the Breach. It amazes me that there can still be card games that are... actually good?

But, like most roguelikes, I suppose it'd be considered fairly challenging. However, when you know what you're doing, there's almost no yielding to random RNG and elements of chance (until the higher Ascension levels, anyway), and 99% of decks should be able to win. It's, again, very similar to ItB in that regard.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the thing I love about Monster Slayers (and Slay the Spire which I assume is exactly the same), and modes like the recent Hearthstone adventure mode, or Arena, is that you dont have to worry about collecting cards and build decks "outside the game".

Thats the part I just cant deal with anymore these days. If its a enw deck every run that you build as you play, perfect, thats exactly what I want. Unfortunately most card games arent like that.

Like Hektor said tho, 2 classes only in StS is a bit... underwhelming. And they mention only 2 more coming. Sure MS is a much more simple game, but it has like 18 lol. They are quite different from each other too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Interesting. So this pretty much confirms, if not already confirmed, that Dynasty is not set in China.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
A class in StS is so dynamic though. I'd wager it feels like one class might contain three. Again, I don't want to be unfair to Monster Slayers, but I sort of doubt a single class has such a distinct feel and different unique playstyles and approaches that those in StS do. Plus, there are (somewhat poor--at the moment at least) modded classes for StS. But, again, the StS devs have impressed the socks off me that when the third class does release, I'm sure it'll feel like I'm playing an entirely different game.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately AC Dynasty has nothing to do with China. As much as i'd love an AC game set there.

So Dynasty plays in Feudal Japan? Not too shaby either. One concern they had earlier was the much flatter architecture, when compared with say Renaissance Italy or Paris. I guess they might take some liberties there, making things larger and denser then they were in real life.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Quite disappointing to hear that China is not the subject. I guess it is about Romanov? Russian subject can be interesting.

IMO, Three Kingdoms has been overused. I want to see something new. Chinese history never lacks materials for assassination and political turbulence. Tang would be a great period for a AC game. Tang taizong era, to be specific.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Shao Jun always seemed like a great character, I hope we get to see her in her own big AC game at some point, even if that's not AC Dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.