• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you play Chime this month?

• Yay!

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • Nay!

Votes: 173 27.5%
  • wtf is chime?

Votes: 391 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 is fucking slimy.

Just noticed that all the shit I disabled months ago has suddenly mysteriously turned itself back on, and my PC was crawling to a halt because the recently re-enabled Telemetry was hunting through my disk.

Oct 28, 2017
After 4 years of being a member on Steam, I've just bought my 100th Steam game: Crypt of the NecroDancer. For three bucks (currently 80% off), I figured I'd finally give this a chance.

The rhythm aspect concerns me a bit, I hope it isn't too gimmicky.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
quake champions servers are down, i cannot lower myself to play anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
qYrWfpV.png

Just realised we are the biggest hangout thread with views and the 3rd most popular thread on the whole of ResetERA, only being beaten by the US PoliEra and the thread on Battlefront micro transactions.

Well done!

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Not a single Steam-pal wants or owns Figment? How can that be? It looks so pleasant and charming!

ss_af22c29520c0796125dd46429fcc7aae7b787d97.1920x1080.jpg

ss_21e99590abda596e0c778fd464838fd544c594c3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f7d041c1e6bd9eef6d00d10b90645420be7b1a17.1920x1080.jpg

You need better friends!

I finished it, it's very good, almost great. It's mostly a puzzle style game with some light ARPG elements. The only real issue I had was the VO recording, some of it's minor characters are poorly recorded and almost inaudible. The songs are amazing.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017

Just noticed that all the shit I disabled months ago has suddenly mysteriously turned itself back on, and my PC was crawling to a halt because the recently re-enabled Telemetry was hunting through my disk.

Thanks for the heads up, just noticed a lot of crap was reactivated with the last update.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That happened to me after the spring creator update. Thankfully this Fall one doesn't appear to have changed any of my settings, just added some more bloat to the process list (which greatly annoys me).

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

I need to recheck this and I totally forgot what I need to check.

Anybody got a list? I know there is a tool to do it but I rather do it manually.

Bubbavelli

Oct 27, 2017
I was about seven hours in but Im about to restart Prey since I havent played it since March.

Definitely beating it this time

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
A bit OT, but what kind of use do things like Amazon Echo have if you cant even use your own music library (for free)?

I was thinking of buying one for my wife, but then found out that, as long as you dont have those songs from Amazon Music (Yeah. Amazon Music surely has my ripped Chinese and Taiwanese songs....) , you can only upload 250 songs to the Amazon Cloud from your own library and if you want more, you have to pay 2€ monthly...
As far as having to spend money for music to work very simply I feel that. If you're not paying and have rare collections, you can connect to Echo with bluetooth. Vocal commands for stop, play, pause, next track, skip ahead, and volume levels all work. I use those all the time.

I also use it to set timers, reminders (those ping your phone when they're due, too), control the thermostat and just ordered plugs that it can control as well. "Echo, play the news," gets me the hourly NPR brief and another NPR show after, whenever I want. Many podcasts recent episode are available and can be conjured on demand as well.

The system hooked me in pretty far, as you might guess. For gags, I put my Aunt's Echo on my phone so I can start playing joke songs in her house whenever I want.

I remembered, I used to have it play live radio over the internet, but grew out of that habit. It was kind of cool though to get good "reception" locally, and then check into live NY hip hop radio, and then live UK radio in a flash.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I know this post was hours ago (ended up playing Skyrim literally all day - on PC, of course), but:

I would second ACG for reviews. He does pretty thorough and very timely reviews. He also does extensive video reviews of indie games that none of the other reviewers touch (Bug Butcher, Battle Chasers, Aztez, Tooth and Tail, etc.) but really should. That's honestly how I found him; I was looking for video footage and reviews of mid-tier indie games and found that none of the bigger sites even covered these games with footage. When I did a youtube search, ACG's stuff kept popping up and eventually he became a reviewer I would look to specifically. Where else am I going to find a high quality video review of "Vikings- Wolves of Midgard"?

ACG has a real "everyman" review style which may not be to your taste. He isn't out there harshly criticizing social mores or artistic intentionality (though he may poke fun at obviously ghoulish stuff), so don't expect a reviewer that is going to change your outlook on the world. Also, he sections his reviews into the very old-school Graphics/Sound/Funfactor categories, which is archaic at best. You also have to have a tolerance for very fast talking and some incredibly labrinthine, strained similes - occasionally, I have no idea what he's referencing by the time he gets to the end of a punchline.

I appreciate the write up. This sounds pretty good, I will definitely give ACG a look.

EDIT: Watched a few videos, I like this guy. Thumbs up to everybody to gave a rec.

Last edited:

DasFool

Oct 25, 2017
After 4 years of being a member on Steam, I've just bought my 100th Steam game: Crypt of the NecroDancer. For three bucks (currently 80% off), I figured I'd finally give this a chance.

The rhythm aspect concerns me a bit, I hope it isn't too gimmicky.

Crypt of the Necrodancer belongs in the upper echelon of rogue-likes. After running through it with 3 of the game's characters, I still come back to it occasionally because it has such a satisfying loop. It values skill, quick thinking, and puzzle solving and asks you to own your mistakes. Runs aren't too long (levels are limited by the length of the music track) and the various characters and items completely change how the game is played. Unlike most rogue-likes, Necrodancer's characters aren't just stat modifications, they are special playstyles such as being unable to step on coins or attacking automatically with movement. The variety is fantastic and keeps one coming back.

Necrodancer's best aspect is that the process of learning its systems is akin to learning a musical instrument. The process starts rife with mistakes and frustration, but eventually you FEEL the flow and those troubling early moments become a breeze. If you've ever studied an instrument, think of this as the instant where you stop manually thinking about what to play and just *know* it. I feel like that moment of revelation is the foundation of this game's systems and it is absolutely its shining hour.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh here's something for a possible december game. It looks like a potentially good crpg that seems to have come out of nowhere.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Alright let me ask here as well:

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection doesn't let me use the steam controller's gamepad. It works fine with other games, I completed Hollow Knight (which was excellent) recently. Now the cracker is, when I used my DS4 with usb cable it works like it's supposed to do.

I tried messing around with the configurations, no dice. I thought maybe it didn't get connected because I use it wireless. Wired didn't help as well. Whether I use it in big picture mode or not didn't matter at all. It does work in the KB+M configuration, however the buttons are still locked.

The issue has been noted in steam discussions about the game, but I haven't seen a solution yet. It's a pretty niche game in an already limited market. Still I like to use the steam controller whenever that's possible. The DS4 is more like a last resort for me.

Any help would be appreciated, because this has become quite infuriating. Thank you.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
It's still up on Fanatical. I'm surprised they don't have the $5 deal they usually have up.

Cuphead's about to hit a million on Steam. Wow.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of F.E.A.R., why are Perseus Mandate and Extraction points are 1kb files to download or even separate listings in my library? Was this before they could connect DLC to the main title for listing?

SC4LDER

Oct 25, 2017
"The Walking Dead: A New Frontier can be started as a brand new story or as a continuation of the Season 1 & 2 choices you made."
Might be worth to dig up your old saves. After watching all the possible outcomes on YT, it's nice to see there's some unique content there. If you don't have your old saves anymore, there's also an option to select few choices manually before starting.

Anyway, I shouldn't have played it that soon after Guardians of the Galaxy. The artstyle shift was lot to process. But I'm sure even the devs are aware that the comic style zombies sometimes look less scary than diarrhoea outbreak in your local area. That's why those sequences are always so fast in the first place. So fast actualy, that when you take picture at the right/wrong time, you can see how lazy they felt when making the big feared zombie herd. I dare you, count for yourself how many different zombies you can see. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

20171118205811_1.jpg

Luckily the story also has enough living people to be afraid of. Speaking of story, somehow no tear shed this time. It was kind of weird. On one side, it was clearly little Clem who had most emotional impact on me in the previous seasons but now that she's been to hell and back its hard to fear for this little reincarnation of Chuck Norris. On the other side, the rest of the characters almost played second fiddle on the main stage, if that makes any sense. Still, looking forward to new pieces to the puzzle.

20171118152112_1.jpg

20171118135144_1.jpg

20171119005506_1.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of F.E.A.R., why are Perseus Mandate and Extraction points are 1kb files to download or even separate listings in my library? Was this before they could connect DLC to the main title for listing?

They are standalone.\

EDIT - idk why Steam forces you to download all three. They have always been standalone.

Wait. Apparently EP requires FEAR but PM is standalone. I should dig up my old retail boxes and check.

Last edited:

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know exactly, but you can't download them apart from FEAR. If memory serves, it was a 17GB whack, and that's the biggest game file I had from back then.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I simply cannot wait for the Steam sale.

The last few steam sales, I've been holding back and buying 1 or 2 games only because of budget reasons. Now I'm going to open up the wallet a little and get some stuff. Some of it with an eye to the GPD Win 2 hopefully out next year. With regional pricing, it usually works out cheapest at the steam sales.

Wishlist
Atelier Sophie
Divinity: OS
Ys Origin
Hearts of Iron IV
Ori
Final Fantasy X/X2
Elite Dangerous Horizons
A couple more Cities Skylines expansions
Vall HallA
Hollow Knight

At the start of this year, I was hoping to get a nice Vita physical collection going, and I did get quite a few titles. I probably have maybe 10 titles that I want still, but most of them like Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII are coming to Steam anyway. Then I asked myself, do I buy 1 $40 plus shipping game on the Vita, or get 5 or 6 games for the same money on Steam. So I'm a bit sad I don't get to complete the physical collection, but think I'm going with the more sensible option with spending.

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up buying Caves of Qud. Played or 13 whole minutes before I realized it was defffff not my thing.
It's not for everyone, is a classic roguelike with 0 progression from one run to the next, and you can easily die if you're not careful, but it's still one of the better newer roguelikes (Well, "newer", the old free version is from 2012)

This post from SA is the best description of the game:

QX8iMSx.png

Status
Not open for further replies.