• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Q: What if my game doesn't support Spanish at all?

A: That's okay, and you don't need to make any changes. But just so you know: nearly 2 million of our 45 million daily active users view the store in Spanish, and platform revenue in Latin America increased 35% over the previous year… so now might be a good time to consider adding support!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1701689794999565458

The last number that we got was:

August 2017, 33 million daily active users.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
That's a loooot. Too big to be challenged unless they fuck it up themselves someday.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That's even more than I would have thought.
Basically a daily active count that rivals some other huge platforms' monthly active numbers.

Would love to know the full language split, not just Spanish. I guess at least 25% Chinese?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
n2ANj8E.png

From April-ish.

This is also very impressive:

UwfkWYx.png

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Thats incredible. I wonder what kind of boost Artifact will give steam. If that game becomes even 1/5 as popular as Hearthstone it will be huge.

And good on Valve for making steam accessible to more countries/languages.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well deserved. It has given me so many options in gaming. When I'm bored I just scroll through the recent releases or certain genres and there's always a fun indie to try or a new release.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That must be like at least a tenth of the worlds grandma population, inadvertently booting up Steam on their PCs.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
User warned: derogatory language
inb4 forgetful grandmas

It's good to see such a healthy userbase on my platform of choice.

Er, inb4 "it's not a platform reeeeee"

Edit: damnit mivey

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly thought it would be a lot more.
That is already a lot. Most companies only give out numbers of montly active users and last I remember PS4 was at like 30 to 40 million (?). Granted the barrier of entry in many poorer countries is seemingly lower for PC gaming than console gaming.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved to be honest; in comparison, no other platform offers as many options to both players and developers as Steam does.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But what is the % of uncles and grandmas who accidentally have installed it?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite a bit. Impressive.

I keep forgetting it (pretty sure I read it once already...), but what does Valve consider an "Active User"?
Is it "logged in to the client", "played a game" or even something else?

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
PC is back baby! I never thought it was dying, but it feels like it's getting more love again from developers.

Steam is the only store I touch, although Anthem may force me to change that.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But people were telling me how Steam is dying because of Origins/UPlay/battlenet and stuffs.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the ratio remains more or less the same as when they previously released numbers, we're looking at approximately 91-92 million monthly active users.
PC Gamer said:
Meanwhile, Steam gets around 67 million monthly active players, and a rather astonishing 33 million daily active players.

Source

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That is already a lot. Most companies only give out numbers of montly active users and last I remember PS4 was at like 30 to 40 million (?). Granted the barrier of entry in many poorer countries is seemingly lower for PC gaming than console gaming.

A cursory Google search says the latest MAU figures for PSN and XBL are 80m and 57m, respectively. Steam was at 67m MAUs the last time Valve provided that statistic (last August), and the number of DAUs was roughly half that (33m), so some napkin months would suggest that the current MAU figure is 90ish million.

Edit: Beaten.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really impressive. A lot of grandmas are making new accounts to play PUBG, since their previous accounts have been banned because of cheating in the cheater-infested platform that is PC.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
A cursory Google search says the latest MAU figures for PSN and XBL are 80m and 57m, respectively. Steam was at 67m MAUs the last time Valve provided that statistic (last August), and the number of DAUs was roughly half that (33m), so some napkin months would suggest that the current MAU figure is 90ish million.

Edit: Beaten.
Guess I still had old numbers stuck in my head then, cheers. So about 90 million MAU is pretty impressive for a simple client/storefront.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when you have backwards compatibility, choice in hardware and good legacy support in older hardware.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really impressive. A lot of grandmas are making new accounts to play PUBG, since their previous accounts have been banned because of cheating in the cheater-infested platform that is PC.
well then their previous account would no longer be active so there would not be a gain in active users.
well then their previous account would no longer be active so there would not be a gain in active users.
yep. Giving the user choice is what makes the PC the best platform imo.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite a bit. Impressive.

I keep forgetting it (pretty sure I read it once already...), but what does Valve consider an "Active User"?
Is it "logged in to the client", "played a game" or even something else?
I personally don't even open Steam unless I want to play a game, so measure logged in to the client seem to be legit to me. It isn't meant for always-online, and there is no reason to leave it on.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I think it started from PUBG player numbers when people made all kind of excuses for it having so many players.

oh no, this is much older than PUBG.

Back in the NeoGAF days whenever Steam posted positive stats like this, certain people (console warriors/trolls) would downplay by claiming everyone and their uncle had Steam installed on PC by default and just forgot about it. They claimed this was inflating the numbers and would point to anecdotal evidence like "well my grandma..."

That's a really basic recap, but yeah. Much older than PUBG lol.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh no, this is much older than PUBG.

Back in the NeoGAF days whenever Steam posted positive stats like this, certain people (console warriors/trolls) would downplay by claiming everyone and their uncle had Steam installed on PC by default and just forgot about it. They claimed this was inflating the numbers and would point to anecdotal evidence like "well my grandma..."

That's a really basic recap, but yeah. Much older than PUBG lol.
oh ok!

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
But what is the % of uncles and grandmas who accidentally have installed it?

And dont forget all the prankster uncles who love to sneakily install steam on their nephews with ps4s that would never ever play a game on a pc, eeeww.

Those guys are everywhere!

(This was an actual post back on the other forum from someone. Not joking or anything said he would never play a game on pc, but had steam installed thanks to his uncle, and then wondered how many million active users where in the same boat).

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone who owns a game (store purchase or key activation) and has logged into their account.
I guess all these grandmoms keep buying games as well on Steam to idle and boost Steam stats. What evil masterminds Valve are, stealing money from old grandmoms and uncles. They must be stopped!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whatever you think of youtubers (can't stand them myself) they have encouraged a lot of younger kids in to getting PC's, I know a few that went from consoles to PC because of who they watch.

I think it's great.