• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Zhuge warned this a few days ago, but these sites have finally been blocked since earlier this morning.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1553112395169529856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
nikopartners.com

Indonesia requires formal registration of tech and game companies

The Ministry of Communication and Information Technology of the Republic of Indonesia (Kominfo) had issued regulation no. 5 of 2020 on Penyelenggara Sistem Elektronik Swasta (PSE) or Private Electronic System Providers. The regulation is imposed to local as well as foreign tech enterprises...
The Ministry of Communication and Information Technology of the Republic of Indonesia (Kominfo) had issued regulation no. 5 of 2020 on Penyelenggara Sistem Elektronik Swasta (PSE) or Private Electronic System Providers. The regulation is imposed to local as well as foreign tech enterprises operating in Indonesia, which include game companies, who are (1) providing services within the territory of Indonesia, (2) doing business in Indonesia, and/or (3) whose electronic system is used and/or offered in the territory of Indonesia.

According to the PSE website run by Kominfo, there are currently 8,276 private PSE that are registered, consisting of 8,069 domestic PSE and 207 foreign PSE. Some of the big names who have registered to the website are Google, YouTube, Search Engine, Playstore, Ragnarok Online, Valorant, PUBG Mobile, Mobile Legend, Roblox, and Google Maps. There are companies and games that have not yet registered to Kominfo's database, including Opera, LinkedIn, PayPal, Amazon.com, Alibaba.com, Yahoo, Bing, Steam, Epic Games, Battle.net, Origin, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Dota 2. Failure to comply will be met with the following steps: a formal warning, a monetary fine, and access termination.
Lots of us are now scrambling to find working DNS and such to access their games. Even more so for those who rely on Paypal for their businesses.

This sucks.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Jeez that sucks. Why the request for formal registration? For proper taxation or for government surveillance?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
maybe i'm misreading this but what's the point of this "compliance"? sometimes you get legalese red herrings with gov compliance that works against everybody downwind but i have the faintest idea about whatever's going on in indonessia

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Opera leading their list of companies that haven't registered is certainly something, lol.

Anyway, skimming the article, it sounds like this is basically about taxes. Doesn't seem to be outright said, but I'm interpreting that registration will involve some sort of agreement to increased taxes on foreign tech in Indonesia to provide a benefit for local companies, and some of the foreign companies aren't enthralled with that.

Edit: And yeah, I missed the big about being forced to share personal user info with the government.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The OP doesn't really describe this registration thing but it's explained in the linked article. Here's an excerpt:

How PSE Affects the Gaming Industry

The new regulation provides an opportunity to obtain information on the number of gaming company which operates in the country. In a report launched by Kominfo, there is a demand for more opportunities and jams for local game publishers to increase their experience. By tracking the gaming companies currently active in the country, the government can promote more game jams between local and foreign game companies or fund internship opportunities to major game studios. The registration requirement may also promote fairness in terms of tax issues in the gaming industry. Currently, foreign companies are yet to contribute to the country's tax revenue compared to local gaming companies.

On the other hand, the regulation may potentially disrupt the current games market in Indonesia. In terms privacy, developers will be required to provide the government access to their users' personal data, which may violate one's rights to data protection. Furthermore, there is a lack of clarity in Article 14 point 3 in the PSE regulation. It states that an enterprise would be prone to lawsuits if certain contents are considered "disturbing public order", without providing further information on what this entails. This may hinder game development projects that are already under way and ultimately affect Indonesia's growing games industry. Global game companies could be deterred from investing and publishing games in Indonesia as the games could be banned without detailed reasons or due to fear that the companies have to compromise their users' private data.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
It's the weekend and I can't access any of the game platforms on PC. Shit sucks.

Not sure whether the govt will double down on its decision until these companies relent. Blocking the platforms on PC will decimate the indie gaming industry in the country. And we have some high-profile games coming later this year.

Feb 16, 2022
Lost access to my Steam and EGS games. Fucking hell. I haven't checked my PSN games, hopefully nothing multiplayer gets affected.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So wait you can't even play what you already own??
If access to Valve's servers is cut, then you should only be able to play in offline mode. So you'd only be able to play stuff that is already installed, or stuff you backed up ahead of time. Unsure how EGS handles it.

edit: If Steam won't go into offline mode, maybe it'll help to temporarily disconnect your internet as you attempt to launch Steam.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If access to Valve's servers is cut, then you should only be able to play in offline mode. So you'd only be able to play stuff that is already installed, or stuff you backed up ahead of time. Unsure how EGS handles it.

edit: If Steam won't go into offline mode, maybe it'll help to temporarily disconnect your internet as you attempt to launch Steam.
You have to be online to enter offline mode I'm pretty sure.

And it's temporary, like 2 weeks?

edit: apparently both of these things were wrong lol

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean unless customers just luckily switched to offline mode before this happened. Any customers in Indonesia will lose access to the games due to steam drm. Even then, some games just won't work.
You have to be online to enter offline mode I'm pretty sure.

And it's temporary, like 2 weeks?
Steam should automatically offer to switch to offline mode if it can't reach Valve's servers. I've tested it myself several times. Just now, even! I was able to play a few games including Grounded, which I had downloaded just before cutting my internet.

Unfortunately, there's sure to be some bullshit DRM that will prevent you from playing some of your games.

I've heard about that 2 week thing but I'm not sure if it's true.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
I'm using MNC Play + FirstMedia and can still access Steam
I guess not all ISP implemented this blocking yet?

Feb 16, 2022
The 1.1.1.1 Google, DNS generally works to access the blocked sites for most people, and the outrage has been cooling down now. But still, this sucks if neither the party is willing to compromise one way or another.

No downloading games that you haven't installed too.
I'm able to set DNS on a browser level, but when I tried setting it up through the actual internet/wifi properties itself, it stops all connections instead. This is gonna be fun to figure out for those of us who aren't so tech-savvy.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'm able to set DNS on a browser level, but when I tried setting it up through the actual internet/wifi properties itself, it stops all connections instead. This is gonna be fun to figure out for those of us who aren't so tech-savvy.
Cloudflare's WARP works great.

https://1.1.1.1/ (yes, the site address is literally 1.1.1.1)

I can access all the previously blocked sites. Just make sure you use the non-WARP DNS.

Feb 16, 2022
Cloudflare's WARP works great.

https://1.1.1.1/ (yes, the site address is literally 1.1.1.1)

I can access all the previously blocked sites. Just make sure you use the non-WARP DNS.
I think I managed to work it out(I have to change the settings on my wifi adapter instead of the individual connections), but are you telling me WARP has its own app for PC? This is a game-changer. Thanks.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sorry people are losing access to the games they own-

" In terms privacy, developers will be required to provide the government access to their users' personal data, which may violate one's rights to data protection. Furthermore, there is a lack of clarity in Article 14 point 3 in the PSE regulation. It states that an enterprise would be prone to lawsuits if certain contents are considered "disturbing public order", without providing further information on what this entails."

-Steam, EGS, etc. are 100% correct to not sign up for this bullshit. The blame is 100% on the Indonesian government. People can and should be angry, no question, but there's only one target here and that's not any of the companies who got blocked.

Feb 16, 2022

" In terms privacy, developers will be required to provide the government access to their users' personal data, which may violate one's rights to data protection. Furthermore, there is a lack of clarity in Article 14 point 3 in the PSE regulation. It states that an enterprise would be prone to lawsuits if certain contents are considered "disturbing public order", without providing further information on what this entails."

-Steam, EGS, etc. are 100% correct to not sign up for this bullshit. The blame is 100% on the Indonesian government. People can and should be angry, no question, but there's only one target here and that's not any of the companies who got blocked.
I can assure you not a single person affected over here are blaming anyone else other than our dumb, ancient, economically corrupt, morally bankrupt piece of shit manchildren that's playing pretend government.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, seems insane but I guess I understand why some companies didn't register. If government is basically trying to force them to share all user data...

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Stupid out of touch boomers in charge of tech sectors really.

Hopefully there will be strong enough outcries that the ones above them might do something about it.

These kominfo people really needs to be brought down. We're not China or North Korea.

I can enter Steam website using 1.1.1.1, but can't from the steam app itself

You can try downloading their application or set it as private dns in the windows network settings.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I think I managed to work it out(I have to change the settings on my wifi adapter instead of the individual connections), but are you telling me WARP has its own app for PC? This is a game-changer. Thanks.
Yeah, it has its own PC program.
I can enter Steam website using 1.1.1.1, but can't from the steam app itself
That's odd. Just to make sure, you've chosen the "1.1.1.1" option, and not "1.1.1.1 with WARP" right?
unknown.png

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
what app? I don't know much about these, sorry
Download the PC program on this website:

1.1.1.1 — The free app that makes your Internet faster.

Install the free app that makes your phone’s Internet more fast, private, and reliable.

Then in the setting, change it from "1.1.1.1 with WARP" to "1.1.1.1". You should be able to connect to all blocked websites and platforms.

Is there any ongoing Dota championship with Indonesian teams right now? If so, they're royally fucked.

Feb 16, 2022
I'm not sure. I used to use the "with WARP" option, but this morning it stopped working. I changed it to the "1.1.1.1" option and it works again. I can open Steam, Xbox, and Epic.
Thanks. Right now I can access my Steam on my work laptop by using the 1.1.1.1 DNS on a wifi adapter level, so I haven't tried installing the app yet. That'll be a backup option for now.

Damn, I hope nothing on PSN gets affected by this. Setting DNS on my PS5 never seemed to really work.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Thanks. Right now I can access my Steam on my work laptop by using the 1.1.1.1 DNS on a wifi adapter level, so I haven't tried installing the app yet. That'll be a backup option for now.

Damn, I hope nothing on PSN gets affected by this. Setting DNS on my PS5 never seemed to really work.
My friends told me that they can still connect to PSN.

Feb 16, 2022
My friends told me that they can still connect to PSN.
I mean on an individual game's end. Like if a multiplayer game uses their own servers. For instance there was a period years ago where Indonesian players couldn't access Destiny servers on PSN for some time because some ISPs messed up their own DNS settings or something like that. I'm not sure how PSN handles these stuff.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

what do you mean by wifi adapter level? I had my laptop able to connect to steam when using chrome browser, but when opening the steam app itself, I can login, but the store couldn't load

using the warp app, I manage to get everything working, but I'm just curious what I did wrong, what I did is to set the dns on the network connection properties

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think anybody is blaming the game distributors for this. Even the topic title put the responsibility on the Indonesian government. Nevertheless, in the end it's all about money and it boils down whether they'd think Indonesia as a worthwhile market to pursue, because they all sure bowed down to the Chinese government.

Feb 16, 2022
what do you mean by wifi adapter level? I had my laptop able to connect to steam when using chrome browser, but when opening the steam app itself, I can login, but the store couldn't load

using the warp app, I manage to get everything working, but I'm just curious what I did wrong, what I did is to set the dns on the network connection properties
On Windows 11, I went to Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-fi > Hardware properties. Then I edit the DNS settings on that page.

I *think* this sets things up on a hardware level, instead of a per network level, so it works.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I mean on an individual game's end. Like if a multiplayer game uses their own servers. For instance there was a period years ago where Indonesian players couldn't access Destiny servers on PSN for some time because some ISPs messed up their own DNS settings or something like that. I'm not sure how PSN handles these stuff.
Oh, right. I forgot players need to individually connect to the games' servers. I have no idea, but at least for most games, people should be able to play the games. I think the govt is targeting big players, like Blizzard (and they actually just registered their business to kominfo recently).

nothing that I know about

just sad for the everyday gamers, imagine waking up and your video games aren't there
Yeah, many internet cafes are also screwed up since many Indonesian Dota players play there.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, things are getting heated atm. Backlashes are coming from all directions, and it'll be worse when more stuff are getting blocked. Here's the current status of things. It seems like more sites/companies will be blocked soon, including Nintendo. PSN and XBox aren't on this list somehow, but it's more than just gaming.
kominfod.angelo.fyi

Kominfo'd - Website ini bakal keblokir ga ya?

Website ini bakal keblokir ga ya?

AYuGSS6.png