• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
yrp3GSh.png

16M was reached October 1st. And if i remember correctly jump from 15M to 16M took 2 weeks.

Tnx lashman

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
And pubg could get 3m ccu today, currently at 2,927 and the peak is in 1 to 2 hours

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously just grandma and aunti who got tricked into installing steam and online to check out Wal-Mart black Friday ads.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
Finally... Seems like people are starting to get the hint that a pc is a rad place to play. Ps4 has what, over 40 million? Hopefully with word of mouth and good sales pc can catch up

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
May be the dumbest question ever but: Is PC gaming officially bigger than console gaming, at least when it comes to multiplayer? Talking about activity.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Rainbow Six Siege being in 4th place behind the big 3 is the biggest surprise. I guess it helps being only 7$ atm during the sale but still its crazy seeing a 2015 Ubisoft game climbing up like that. GaaS is scary stuff.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally... Seems like people are starting to get the hint that a pc is a rad place to play. Ps4 has what, over 40 million? Hopefully with word of mouth and good sales pc can catch up

No ps4 has 40 mil users total, not concurrent users. Totally different thing

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Ps4 has what, over 40 million?
I don't know if you are joking, but just to clarify: these are peak concurrent users.

I don't think we have recent peak concurrent numbers for PSN, but they are unlikely to be much higher than 17 million. (If anything, I expect them to be significantly lower)

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
May be the dumbest question ever but: Is PC gaming officially bigger than console gaming, at least when it comes to multiplayer? Talking about activity.

Of course it is. I doubt even during the peak of PS360 era did the most popular Call of Duty game ever had combine concurrent of 3 million like PUBG is having now on Steam alone. And there are a bunch of other multiplayer games on PC that are huge as well. Twitch and streaming era pretty much pushed multiplayer PC gaming far ahead of consoles.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you are joking, but just to clarify: these are peak concurrent users.

I don't think we have recent peak concurrent numbers for PSN, but they are unlikely to be much higher than 17 million. (If anything, I expect them to be significantly lower)
That's simply because Sony hasn't yet targeted that critical grandma demographic yet. You first with the core users, then slowly expand to a more casual audience, until you finally hit that grandma gold, people who someone leave the machine open all the time and still actively buy games. PS4 still has to reach that last stage.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Lol. These are concurrent users not total active users. Active user base for Steam alone (nevermind PC overall) is over 125 million. We don't know what the total are for Pc overall but considering that something like League of legends is almost as big as Steam all by it's lonesome, it's probably in the several hundreds of millions.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
Lol. These are concurrent users not total active users. Active user base for Steam alone (nevermind PC overall) is over 125 million. We don't know what the total are for Pc overall but considering that something like League of legends is almost as big as Steam all by it's lonesome, it's probably in the several hundreds of millions.
This is great news! I was starting to worry that consoles were still far ahead. I bet alot of those numbers are from netbooks though. Then again don't they use the same cpus in the current gen consoles?

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Six Siege being in 4th place behind the big 3 is the biggest surprise. I guess it helps being only 7$ atm during the sale but still its crazy seeing a 2015 Ubisoft game climbing up like that. GaaS is scary stuff.

Siege has been remarkably well supported by Ubisoft and it's a big reason why they have a high player count on Steam. It's worth noting that the $7 version is not "proper" Siege, it's a version that has big changes to how things are unlocked.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad Microsoft doesn't report the number of concurrent gamers on the Windows Store ;)

They are probably lower than most even think lol. MS needs some big GaaS type game for Win10 store otherwise it will never take off. They missed the boat on MCC too. That probably would have been a good start to attract PC gamers to your platform.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It peaked at almost 17.7M

LXknyy6.png

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go above 18M next weekend.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
They are probably lower than most even think lol. MS needs some big GaaS type game for Win10 store otherwise it will never take off. They missed the boat on MCC too. That probably would have been a good start to attract PC gamers to your platform.

Early next year they have Sea of Thieves, Rare's GaaS pirate game. But I don't see it becoming a success on pc als long as Microsoft doesn't fix the many issues pc gamers are having with their store and uwp ecosystem.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dat PUBG effect.
Although it'll be interesting to see how things will change when PUBG China stops being sold on Steam and go Tencent only.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Well the last 2 million concurrents, possibly. Steam has been at 15 million even before pubg.

It's probably a huge part, yes.

But it seems likely that of those millions who picked up PC gaming and/or Steam for PUBG, a decent portion will branch out to other games eventually.

Even if that game reached 3M, there's still 14M unaccounted for.
Wassa joke

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I used to be a console gamer, but looking at things like Steam sales and having to pay for PSN/XBL makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking. I save LOTS of money on PC gaming.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Of course it is. I doubt even during the peak of PS360 era did the most popular Call of Duty game ever had combine concurrent of 3 million like PUBG is having now on Steam alone. And there are a bunch of other multiplayer games on PC that are huge as well. Twitch and streaming era pretty much pushed multiplayer PC gaming far ahead of consoles.

Eh, I don't think that's very fair to say.

In general, PC gamers seem very polarised to individual games. Console gamers are spread across a much broader number of games.

Take Battleborn, Titanfall and Lawbreakers for instance, all 3 of those games saw much harsher drops on their PC userbase than the console counterpart.

Pretty much anything multiplatform, has a larger userbase on console. The number of people playing games like Gran Turismo Sport, outweigh any racing game on PC by an very significant margin.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think that's very fair to say.

In general, PC gamers seem very polarised to individual games. Console gamers are spread across a much broader number of games.

Take Battleborn, Titanfall and Lawbreakers for instance, all 3 of those games saw much harsher drops on their PC userbase than the console counterpart.

Pretty much anything multiplatform, has a larger userbase on console. The number of people playing games like Gran Turismo Sport, outweigh any racing game on PC by an very significant margin.

That's not really true though, Maybe on racing games, I don't delve much into them so I don't know the numbers, but as a horror fan there's a large number of horror games available on both consoles and PC that do better on PC. For multiplayer games I can also think of a few dozen indie games with online multiplayer that have much larger userbases on PC than consoles, and then PC gaming userbase's also are longer lasting. IE, right now trying finding a co-op game in Resident Evil 5 for example on PS3/360, then try finding one on PC. PC gaming actually often has much longer legs due to much longer support.

PC gaming is somewhat more spread out, by the nature that PC gaming's catalog is literally like 100x bigger at this point than any single consoles games catalog, but it has its pros and cons, and simply some types of games do much better on certain platforms dependent on the audience, exposure, etc.

VashTS

Oct 29, 2017
Dat PUBG effect.
Although it'll be interesting to see how things will change when PUBG China stops being sold on Steam and go Tencent only.
This is my thought as well. Most of these numbers are from China. Once China is forced to use a different client to play pubg we are going to see a pretty large drop.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This is my thought as well. Most of these numbers are from China. Once China is forced to use a different client to play pubg we are going to see a pretty large drop.

But Steam was reaching 14 million concurrent users even before PUBG was a thing earlier this year?: http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-passes-14-million-concurrent-users-for-first-time-ever/

Anyways, I can vouch the China market on Steam has grown, and not all of them are playing PUBG exclusively. Even on some niche games of mine I've seen an increase in Chinese players and sales (and my games are super niche single player things). Some will leave, some will stay. And thus the market continues.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Do you actually have numbers to back up that claim (and preferably global ones rather than just US)?
There simply are tons more games on PC than on any individual console, so even if more people spread out it might still end up with lower numbers per average game.

Pretty much anything multiplatform, has a larger userbase on console.
That's just plain untrue. I'm sure it holds for many console-oriented multiplatform shooters, but without getting into list wars I can easily think of a large number of games that have equal or larger user bases on PC than any single console. Even for games like Dark Souls 2, which has a predominantly console heritage in terms of genre and developer, judging from the publicly available data the active playerbase on PC was larger or equal for many months compared to the more successful console.