• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Spring Cleaning Event

Dust off your library with Dewey! Level up your badge for completing tasks until May 28th @ 10AM Pacific

Steam is having a Spring Cleaning event where you have to play games in your backlog to get reward items and a badge to increase your Steam XP. These reward items are emotes and backgrounds and it's currently unknown what those Rare Items are supposed to be at the end. But for sure it'll be pointless fluff that you can sell in the Steam Market and get 1 cent per item.

In addition, several games are playable for free this weekend!
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Black Desert Online Remastered
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Don't Starve Together
  • Endless Space 2
  • Grim Dawn
  • Left 4 Dead 2

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh gosh I have to find a game to tag with something. This is new.

EDIT: Nevermind it's sufficient to reapply any already applied tag to a game. You can literally just go over to Tomb Raider and confirm that it does indeed have a female protagonist.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GabeN plz
Untitled.png

10GB d/l

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Black Desert Online is pretty much a free to play game that charge you to download it. Fitting for them to have a free access weekend. I wonder if the free weekend players can buy items, weight increases (+ other quality of life items), skins, and consumables without buying the base game. I wouldn't put it past them.

OP
OP
Hamster Plugin
Oct 25, 2017
Black Desert Online is pretty much a free to play game that charge you to download it. Fitting for them to have a free access weekend. I wonder if the free weekend players can buy items, weight increases (+ other quality of life items), skins, and consumables without buying the base game. I wouldn't put it past them.
I've been interested in it but every Steam review complains about pay-to-win so I never go for it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested in it but every Steam review complains about pay-to-win so I never go for it.
It's unfortunate, I really want to like the game but the pay to enjoy + win just beats you over the head. A lot of stuff isn't even worth doing without their subscription premium access stuff (inventory/storage capacity, carry weight restriction increase, and the big one market place sale tax reduction). This is just one of many restrictive designs in the game. The combat mechanics are good, but there's like nothing to do after 56 when the exp wall is just way too high requiring server bells (bought by others and used, exp +50%), that premium subscription pack's exp boost, among other tricks to get exp bonuses, and it's still slow to get to 57.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
It used to be really effective when valve was using their own games to promote steam and its features. But their games are so old now that i cant help but see that move from a cynical point of view.

Cool idea though

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna play some Assetto Corsa while it's free. One of those games that I've wanted to play for ages and never have for whatever reason. Thanks!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I wish Totally Accurate Battle Simulator was among the free trials. Looks interesting.

Not really a sale though. Can't say I'm bothered since the Summer sale is only a month away.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Please, please keep the spring cleaning game selector tool thing year round. It's so great for when you just dont know what to play! I have no idea why it was removed after last years spring cleaning was over.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Please, please keep the spring cleaning game selector tool thing year round. It's so great for when you just dont know what to play! I have no idea why it was removed after last years spring cleaning was over.
It's been a part of Big Picture Mode for years.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar for the redesigned client.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I just used steam achievement manager to 'play' games without downloading them. As I have done with every event like this for years.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"I will just launch the game and leave"

And played for 2 hours. Can't believe their plan worked lol

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Spring cleaning event was meant to push people to play some older games or some games that they bought recently but never played. It is also meant to remind people about publishers/developers and their games so when sale comes people check what is new from them, and other things like that.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Neat idea given that their sale is in about a month. It's a way to get people to get some backlog games done so that they're ready to purchase new stuff right as the Summer Sale hits.

You're not exactly up to speed with current events are you?
It's perhaps more so a lack of knowing what "monopoly" actually means.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Monopoly means buying a physical game only to find a code inside a box to activate your game on steam.

I usually go out and I have many other interests too. What are those events?
That...that isn't a monopoly. That's a form of distribution that is akin to PC gaming for some time now. Just like Epic with Metro...

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
How am I supposed to buy a bunch of old games if I'm busy playing them?