• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Recently many threads have been made about new players into the PC store market and how Steam needs competition because it's trash apparently. I think such views are mostly due to not knowing what the landscape actually is for PC stores. The only real way I feel these stores to have a chance to actually compete is in features and price. Things that are actually helpful for users. Not exclusive games. To understand this I think it's key to know what these features are that Steam provides to consumers and how they compare against the other stores

lbvpdwv.png

If I have made a mistake here pls inform me*
EDIT: Fixed some inaccuracies in the image. again. again. again, again :HopelessHD:

As you can see Steam dominates over others in features and this is where other stores need to focus on.

What follows are my opinions

Microsoft Store deserves special mention
How a billion-dollar software company like Microsoft can screw this up is a feat. The store wasn't originally designed for large PC games, it's ill-equipped to handle the large download size and frequently fails to download as a result. Sometimes the only way to fix the store when it breaks is to reinstall Windows. Their console store XBL store is largely regarded as a good store. So it's not like MS is incapable of it.
You also cannot access the files for games because of UWP. so no modding or .ini editing.

Steam has features and tools that many people don't even know for example You can choose what server to download your games from You can watch a friend play a game by just right click-> watch game and all the streaming heavy work is done by steam. Steam also invests in R&D like Steam Controller, SteamVR, Steam link to innovate the PC gaming space. The recent improvements in Proton/Linux gaming prove as such. Most of their projects are open sourced which is great for everyone.

People say competition is good and we should support these other stores, I'm sure many people who play on PC would give a real competitor a try but nobody else comes even close. Most ppl use other stores because they are forced by exclusive games. GOG is the exception here. Their DRM free policy is very enticing to many. But alas, there is no competition for steam because nobody is at Steam's level in market share and features. Steam is not perfect and has a lot to improve. Steam adding automatic refunds after Origin added it is one instance where competition has helped. The competition also didn't help for consoles for paid online gaming, paid cloud saves etc.

I would also like to say something about the 30% share steam takes. I think it's very well deserved. Valve provides a lot of stuff for devs as mentioned above and also the fact that valve single-handedly saved PC gaming. PC gaming was in a dire state not many years ago, distribution was terrible, piracy was rampant, many developers stopped making games for PC. Steam arrives and opens itself for non-Valve games and with sales and effective distribution turned the PC market around. The fact that PC gaming is healthy today is all because of Steam. Final Fantasy and Yakuza on PC, 100% due to Steam's success.

Also, developers can sell steam keys on their site and get 100% of the share. Square Enix and Paradox are 2 publishers of the many that do this. Win-win for both developers and consumers. GMG, Fanatical, Humble Bundle all exist due to this. You can buy most games 20% off at launch because Valve gets 0% cut on these sales. UPlay and Rockstar Social are other stores that do this. I hope this post helped you understand why PC players dismiss all these new attempts at a store that don't even try to match Steam's core features. These are billion-dollar software companies we're talking about. They should strive to be better.

I wrote this with help from Prominent Members from PCERA

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
People say competition is good and we should support these other stores, I'm sure many people who play on PC would give a real competitor a try but nobody else comes even close. Most ppl use other stores because they are forced by exclusive games. GOG is the exception here. Their DRM free policy is very enticing to many. But alas, there is no competition for steam because nobody is at Steam's level in market share and features. Steam is not perfect and has a lot to improve. Steam adding automatic refunds after Origin added it is one instance where competition has helped.
This is a hidden contradiction to your thesis statement here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
"Trading Cards" is listed as a feature?

... People care about Steam's trading cards? I had no idea.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The microsoft store has VR support, in fact you HAVE to use the microsoft store if you want to use a Windows VR headset. There is an app on the microsoft store which will let it work with other stores, like steam.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Trading Cards" is listed as a feature?

... People care about Steam's trading cards? I had no idea.

It's not as valuable as it used to be but you can still make a few bucks for a couple dozen cards and since most games give them out it can add up quick. I've probably made over $100 since the program started, but keep in mind a hefty amount of that was back when cards were going for 80 cents each or more. I once sold a foil for $20 by itself (and it wasn't anime!).

I think the overall point there would just be the steam market in general as a huge bonus that the others don't have. You can make quite a lot of money on there. There were people who bought artifact and on day 1 had already made $50+ from selling cards.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Great post, but I expect this to devolve into the usual bullshit, sadly.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Gee a lot of red at those other "competitors" compared to Steam. I guess "red" must mean "good" around here coming from those who like to stop by a PC thread and perform a drive-by post.

COMPETITION AMIRITE

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
I really only have one problem with steam and that is the inability to download mods from the workshop unless you own the game on their platform, which puts the onus on mod creators to upload and keep it up to date on another site or just leave it steam exclusive. And with the popularity of steam I think that will end up being quite a few mods.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
The microsoft store has VR support, in fact you HAVE to use the microsoft store if you want to use a Windows VR headset. There is an app on the microsoft store which will let it work with other stores, like steam.
I see I'll correct my table, does the store have a tag for VR games like steam does?

smikey

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Store does have cloud saves, and there are Early Access games available, labeled "Game Preview," I will concede that those games usually fall under the Play Anywhere program and are available on xbone as well.

Edit: I would also say that I don't find user forums on a store/launcher to be any kind of positive as the steam communities are nearly all trash. I also hold no loyalty to any store/launcher and will grab games where I can legitimately and cheaply above all.

Edit 2: On the Windows Mixed Reality on the winstore, yes VR apps have labeling that notes them as being "Mixed Reality" under a Capabilities list, along such things as "Cloud Saves" or "Xbox Live Clubs" if they're also an "Xbox Live Presence" enabled game.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone suggested that competition without features is the end goal

Is that not implicit
Yes. Every thread about Steam these days has dozens of vacous posts saying "competition is good" without giving any sort of explanation as to what or why it's good.

It's just garbage that clogs up and, more importantly, derails threads.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam itself is a subscription service though.

MAKE IT GREEN.

It's not, but it DOES have subscription support, the problem is it's not available for customers. If you're lucky, like if you're a beta tester or something that valve recruits, you get a very special subscription to steam. It comes in the form of a special Ricochet key, that when present on your account, connects you to a steam subscription mode where every game on steam is unlocked. The "buy" button turns into a "subscribe" button and clicking it adds the game to your account. Valve themselves sets how long the key remains valid, and after which, all the "subscribed" licenses go away.

Again, only for testers, not for the general public, though.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017

Just a minor thing re. one of your posts in the second thread (https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...vements-as-much-as-ps-xb.74772/#post-13786343). Unless this has changed recently and I missed it, cards you get by playing to half of the set size (rounded up, i.e. if the set is 6 cards you get 3, if it's 7 you get 4). After that you don't get more card drops, except in games where you can spend money, where you get 1 extra card every $10 spent.

Also Valve takes 5% of each market sale, and 10% goes to the game's publisher (oh look, indie devs benefit for this too). Of course if Valve developed the game, they get 15%.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Microsoft Store does have cloud saves, and there are Early Access games available, labeled "Game Preview," I will concede that those games usually fall under the Play Anywhere program and are available on xbone as well.

Edit: I would also say that I don't find user forums on a store/launcher to be any kind of positive as the steam communities are nearly all trash. I also hold no loyalty to any store/launcher and will grab games where I can legitimately and cheaply above all.
Alright thanks for letting me know
Ill make these changes

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a minor thing re. one of your posts in the second thread (https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...vements-as-much-as-ps-xb.74772/#post-13786343). Unless this has changed recently and I missed it, cards you get by playing to half of the set size (rounded up, i.e. if the set is 6 cards you get 3, if it's 7 you get 4). After that you don't get more card drops, except in games where you can spend money, where you get 1 extra card every $10 spent.

Also Valve takes 5% of each market sale, and 10% goes to the game's publisher (oh look, indie devs benefit for this too). Of course if Valve developed the game, they get 15%.

Someone asked in that same topic, the clarification:

There are no hard and set rules about card drops. Not all games will limit their card drops either. Some games with hard drop limits will even grant more drops with DLC (as in, not booster packs). And some card drops are linked to achievements, not randomness.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
GOG and Bethesda are listed as having MacOS and Linux support. GOG allows developers to sell Linux games but the GOG Galaxy client has no Linux version so that's not total support, you can only download Linux games via the website. And the Bethesda Launcher has no Linux or Mac versions at all

Oh and battle.net has no Linux version.

smikey

Oct 25, 2017
Doing another post instead of editing, but wouldn't the locked-down nature of Winstore apps count as Cheat Protection? GOG has added self/friend activity feeds and custom profiles. Winstore has custom profiles because you'll need an xbox live account to play games anyway.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
GOG and Bethesda are listed as having MacOS and Linux support. GOG allows developers to sell Linux games but the GOG Galaxy client has no Linux version so that's not total support, you can only download Linux games via the website. And the Bethesda Launcher has no Linux or Mac versions at all

Oh and battle.net has no Linux version.
You can download Linux games from the webstore I think, so its something as opposed to nothing

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
multiple controller support has to be wrong...i've played gog games using xbox 360 and xb1 controllers, same for games on origin/uplay.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
multiple controller support has to be wrong...i've played gog games using xbox 360 and xb1 controllers, same for games on origin/uplay.
Those are the games themselves supporting em, not the client itself
Steam has native support for Xbox One controller, 360 controller, DS4, Switch Pro controller and Steam controller

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got almost all my cards through idling, can you mention some games where they are linked to achievements? Legit never seen one and I'm curious

EDIT: official Steam cards FAQ (https://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/)

I ran across them when I was doing steam controller beta testing for valve, but don't have a list of games which do them.

Regardless, many of Valve's FAQ pages are super out of date. Example:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6490-QOAJ-7167

Their Steam Controller page has several things which aren't correct anymore.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yep.
Shame most of the people that probably should read about this are not actually here to learn anything or even have an interest in the various PC ecosystems / PC gaming; they just want to continue pathetic tribalism.

Epic, to a greater extent than Twitch before them, have a real prospect of eventually being a significant real competitor to Steam if they really want to engage at that level and work on all the tools, features and infrastructure. To really provide customers with benefits, they need to invest in the future more speculative directions as well, much like Valve are. They have a long way to go, but it's good to see Epic rattle some cages with their cut, at the very least. Still not even close enough to be something I purchase from yet.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
I think it should be fair to include trading cards with loyalty programs, it's basically a way to either get steam perks or help but games for cheaper

Xbox360/one controller is like, the most basic controller support in modern games, so much that steam let's you use other controllers as of they were one of those allowing a much wider selection at no extra trouble to developers
They also provide full controls customization within steam itself

And when I say full customization, I mean it

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are the games themselves supporting em, not the client itself
Steam has native support for Xbox One controller, 360 controller, DS4, Switch Pro controller and Steam controller

In the same vein, "linux support" for the steam client means something entirely different from Linux Support for any other store front.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.