• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Prospective customers know that nobody is going to somehow match Steam on day 1, and people aren't expecting it. What is important, however, is what features a new platform chooses to emphasize at their launch, because that sends a message to users about what that platform's goal is. This is why most PC gamers are happy about the existence of sites like GOG and itch.io. Neither of them are really close to matching Steam, but each had their own unique approach that did something Steam didn't. When GOG launched, it emphasized releases of old games (which weren't on Steam at the time) and DRM free releases. itch.io focuses on indie support, hosting free games at no cost, offering developers control over the revenue split, and, crucially, fostering and supporting a community that has a vested interest in seeing the indie scene flourish. In both cases, these stores are competing with Valve by bringing something new and interesting to the table.
Exactly. That's the type of competition that is actually beneficial, and it tries to appeal to users by unique platform differentiation.

But most of these launchers, the ones people complain about? They are neither attempting to compete directly with Valve nor bring anything relevant or interesting to the table. They're cash-grabs. Feature-barren stores and clients that offer nothing to consumers, but lock them in with exclusive titles. That's not competing with Valve, they're just offering their own games on a lesser platform.
I wanted to bold the good points in your post but in doing so I just ended up making the entire thing bold.
So yeah, everything you just said.

this has got to be a joke post???
It is

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ha, I love some of these posts on here. Someone makes an argument that makes no logical sense (like being pushed away by entirely optional features), people respond to that - and their only responses are "Wow you guys really love steam lol hehe" it's basically trolling and not conducive to good discussion.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmnn do you even use Steam?

overlay_options.JPG

Disable steam overlay, it's been an option since... idk a decade ago? no more pop ups?
I really wish they'd let you disable achievement popups without disabling the entire Steam Overlay. Steam achievements frequently bug out on me, forcing me to restart the game to clear them from the screen, but I use the Steam Controller for some games, which requires the overlay to work.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they'd let you disable achievement popups without disabling the entire Steam Overlay. Steam achievements frequently bug out on me, forcing me to restart the game to clear them from the screen, but I use the Steam Controller for some games, which requires the overlay to work.
Big Picture Mode is still buggy after all this time, it crashes pretty often. I really dislike using it (or its overlay, because I never go into full BPM unless it's strictly necessary), but it's the only way to have full compatibility with the Steam Controller. Wish Valve would add all of its functionality to the regular overlay. And fix BPM too, of course.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so sure about equating steam's linux support with others' linux support.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll tell you what, I'll go through the spreadsheet in the OP and let you know which features I think are a net negative and why (this is going to take awhile):

Chat - The chat implementation is poor and the my gaming experience would be better without the "community" overlay. It would be better to have no chat at all or have an implementation like Battle.net where it's a seperate thing entirely. Either way I'll still use Discord because it's the better way to chat.

Curation - This is a big one for me, the lack of curation makes browsing the store page a bad experience

Curators - Trying to replace their curation with "community" curators just clutters up the store pages with recommendations from people that I don't want to see

Early Access - Whew lad, what a shitshow this turned out to be

Marketplace - An avenue for money laundering, market manipulation, and an incentive for devs to implement shitty "drop" systems

Achievements - More distractions from popups

Community Guides - The community is garbage

Community Discussion - See above

Trading Cards - Something that could have been cool but instead turned into a reason for people to idle in games for extra cash, more distractions from popups

User Reviews - Community is garbage redux

Inventory Support - How is this a feature when it's necessary for their broken marketplace? Moreover, the inventory system is ALWAYS broken in one way or another

Anti-Cheat - Can be bad depending on how the Devs and/or pubs implement

MTX Support - Can be bad depending on the game as well

Leaderboard Support - Rampant cheating (despite "anti-cheat") make this a net negative

3rd Party Keys - Just a vector for key resellers to profit off regional pricing

DRM for Devs - Boooooooooooo

Now, these are my subjective reasons for using Steam less over the years. They may not match up with your feelings on these individual features and that's fine. I have other reasons, listed above in other posts, and likely more that I'm not thinking of right now.

You shouldn't be loyal to a storefront because of momentum. Over the years Steam has become bloated with unnecessary features that, in my opinion, makes playing and buying games on the platform more of a chore than is necessary. Small annoyances and inconveniences are all that is needed for me to want to take my time elsewhere because, luckily, there are other platforms that offer storefronts.

They'd go a long way to winning my time and money back simply by curating content and policing their community, but I understand that Steam doesn't NEED my time or money, they got plenty from other people.

This is the most dumb post I seen in a month. Congratulations to you. It's so fuckin dumb it has to be a troll at this point.
Really, money laundry for the marketplace and shady resellers taking advantage or regional pricing ?
Wtf are you even talking about ?
How can you exploit regional difference nowadays ?
It's so obvious you dont even use it and you're talking out of your ass.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This is the most dumb post I seen in a month. Congratulations to you. It's so fuckin dumb it has to be a troll at this point.
Really, money laundry for the marketplace and shady resellers taking advantage or regional pricing ?
Wtf are you even talking about ?
How can you exploit regional difference nowadays ?
It's so obvious you dont even use it and you're talking out of your ass.
I really wish Mods treated shitposting in Steam/PC threads the same way they do in console threads. Than most of the shit posters would have been banned and people could have reasonable discussion. Meh.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this has got to be a joke post???
Yes. I've been making quite a few overly sarcastic posts in this thread so I figured people caught on :P

For the record - it's absolutely bonkers to be annoyed by features like that and NOT at least go into the settings first before dropping the program\platform\thing. But that's exactly what that guy did... lol.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Mods treated shitposting in Steam/PC threads the same way they do in console threads. Than most of the shit posters would have been banned and people could have reasonable discussion. Meh.
Seriously, the shit posting is out of control. These threads are a chore to read because whether its fanboys of other companies or straight out astroturfers you see the same garbage in every Steam related thread.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I belive most Mods at ERA aren't really deep into PC gaming (only Jawmuncher?), so these things don't affect them, and therefore it is hard for them to know what is or isn't shittposting. ERA, just like the other place, is pretty much console land.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then ensure you don't complain about the era of lootboxes and MTX, then.
It's hard for a shitload of developers to turn a profit via Steam, as more and more games get released. There are only so many games that can be promoted heavily on the platform. It's pro-consumer to want developers to make more money...in many cases to even allow devs make a living.

Seriously, wtf are you even talking about?

The developers that struggle to get exposure on Steam and don't have big marketing budgets are not the ones filling their games to the brim with microtransactions/lootboxes. It's quite the opposite actually.

This thread is literally overflowing with bullshittery.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seriously, wtf are you even talking about?

The developers that struggle to get exposure on Steam and don't have big marketing budgets are not the ones filling their games to the brim with microtransactions/lootboxes. It's quite the opposite actually.

This thread is literally overflowing with bullshittery.

My comment clearly implied that if things don't change and the race to the bottom continues in terms of pricing and dev revenue, more and more devs would likely turn to the MTX or live services route to make ends meet. This isn't rocket science. We saw this happen with the iOS app store, for example.

Improving dev take would help to ameliorate this problem. Epic is already hinging their strategy on maximizing developer take, and I won't be surprised if aggressive competition from them eventually spurs Valve into offering indie and AA developers a better cut.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'll tell you what, I'll go through the spreadsheet in the OP and let you know which features I think are a net negative and why (this is going to take awhile):

Chat - The chat implementation is poor and the my gaming experience would be better without the "community" overlay. It would be better to have no chat at all or have an implementation like Battle.net where it's a seperate thing entirely. Either way I'll still use Discord because it's the better way to chat.

Curation - This is a big one for me, the lack of curation makes browsing the store page a bad experience

Curators - Trying to replace their curation with "community" curators just clutters up the store pages with recommendations from people that I don't want to see

Early Access - Whew lad, what a shitshow this turned out to be

Marketplace - An avenue for money laundering, market manipulation, and an incentive for devs to implement shitty "drop" systems

Achievements - More distractions from popups

Community Guides - The community is garbage

Community Discussion - See above

Trading Cards - Something that could have been cool but instead turned into a reason for people to idle in games for extra cash, more distractions from popups

User Reviews - Community is garbage redux

Inventory Support - How is this a feature when it's necessary for their broken marketplace? Moreover, the inventory system is ALWAYS broken in one way or another

Anti-Cheat - Can be bad depending on how the Devs and/or pubs implement

MTX Support - Can be bad depending on the game as well

Leaderboard Support - Rampant cheating (despite "anti-cheat") make this a net negative

3rd Party Keys - Just a vector for key resellers to profit off regional pricing

DRM for Devs - Boooooooooooo

Now, these are my subjective reasons for using Steam less over the years. They may not match up with your feelings on these individual features and that's fine. I have other reasons, listed above in other posts, and likely more that I'm not thinking of right now.

You shouldn't be loyal to a storefront because of momentum. Over the years Steam has become bloated with unnecessary features that, in my opinion, makes playing and buying games on the platform more of a chore than is necessary. Small annoyances and inconveniences are all that is needed for me to want to take my time elsewhere because, luckily, there are other platforms that offer storefronts.

They'd go a long way to winning my time and money back simply by curating content and policing their community, but I understand that Steam doesn't NEED my time or money, they got plenty from other people.

Hey guys, let me give you my very objective, actual criticism of the GAMEBOX 5000:

Friends: shit

console color: Absolute shitshow

Online: bad shit

controLOLer: worst bad shit ever

3rd parties: Can be bad, but mostly shit

DRM: Bad, also shit btw

steaming: Oh wow, this shit is bad

UI: Really, really bad shit (shit is bad)

As you can see, I've clearly articulated all my problems with the GAMEBOX 5000, which shows I clearly use it. Now you know that it's bad, because it's shit. Glad to clear this up for you. They should just do away with the shit that is bad, which is everything, because it's all bad shit. Thanks for your time.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I belive most Mods at ERA aren't really deep into PC gaming (only Jawmuncher?), so these things don't affect them, and therefore it is hard for them to know what is or isn't shittposting. ERA, just like the other place, is pretty much console land.

I don't think it's that. Falacious arguments, selective responses, drive-bys... All look the same no matter what platform it's for or against.

I think it's this: years of aggressive "fan engagement" by major platform holders and the social marketing firms they employ has encouraged fan bases to self organize and lobby for extra special care. And on the flip side, the mess we see in steam threads is both exasperated and highlighted in contrast.

/Forum theory. :p

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, let me give you my very objective, actual criticism of the GAMEBOX 5000:

Friends: shit

console color: Absolute shitshow

Online: bad shit

controLOLer: worst bad shit ever

3rd parties: Can be bad, but mostly shit

DRM: Bad, also shit btw

steaming: Oh wow, this shit is bad

UI: Really, really bad shit (shit is bad)

As you can see, I've clearly articulated all my problems with the GAMEBOX 5000, which shows I clearly use it. Now you know that it's bad, because it's shit. Glad to clear this up for you. They should just do away with the shit that is bad, which is everything, because it's all bad shit. Thanks for your time.

You and I should start our own games storefront because clearly we have some big ideas

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't there a big difference between the Steam store and the steamworks api/platform? I don't think just because you bought a game from the Discord store it cant be used on VR?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these people werent mods when the steam thread got shat on.

And yet, they are mods now and still no steam thread. They are mods now, and yet, the exact same problem that lead to the steam thread being "shut down" persists in every single steam thread, including this one. Notice how not a single person on that list has engaged in this topic??

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yet, they are mods now and still no steam thread. They are mods now, and yet, the exact same problem that lead to the steam thread being "shut down" persists in every single steam thread, including this one. Notice how not a single person on that list has engaged in this topic??

What are you suggesting?

iLHv8RB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.