• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31247

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeh, I don't use those features so get rid of them! Who cares about the people who do happen to use them!

I'm happy for them to exist, but they are mostly not part of a STORE, which is what many people want, we don't want something that is a massive all encompassing platform. If people want that then fine, but the excess profits made by valve are used to pay for those things, they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for them to exist, but they are mostly not part of a STORE, which is what many people want, we don't want something that is a massive all encompassing platform. If people want that then fine, but the excess profits made by valve are used to pay for those things, they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.
Because they're a business. Shocking, I know.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'd like to think it benefits me when developers get paid better.

Developers on Steam get the same that on PSN, Xbox Live and other places because 30% is the standard. People talk like Valve is the only one doing it.

And now we have Itch that is better than all those launchers.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Lmao.
It's an article that quotes multiple developers expressing their opinions and concerns. In what universe is this 'fake news'?

Between the Trumpesque 'fake news' stuff and your resorting to personal attacks, one wonders if you arent a bit too emotionally invested in Steam for your own good

A multitude of those "concerns" were factually incorrect information, presented in what was an ultra obvious hit-piece.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
There's no clients out there that really offer crossbuy by default. Not even the Windows store.

It's the main draw of the Windows Store especially for MS first party and even works with gamepass and there would be nothing to stop the likes of EA or Ubi doing the same thing. Also Epics new store will I guess support it with Fortnite at least.

I don't understand how this wouldn't be something worth considering.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So the problem in essence is, Valve makes too much money according to you?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao.
It's an article that quotes multiple developers expressing their opinions and concerns. In what universe is this 'fake news'?

Between the Trumpesque 'fake news' stuff and your resorting to personal attacks, one wonders if you arent a bit too emotionally invested in Steam for your own good.
If you actually read the thread on here about the article you'd have seen multiple devs stating how false the article was.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

They do it because they're a business, and as I said in another post, giving more features keeps customers interested. Look at, for example, how many people say "Sales are boring now there's no Flash Sales on Steam". Why? Because Flash Sales kept them interested.

As a not-inconsiberable aside, what Valve has done within the store and outside it has furthered the PC ecosystem - from pushing Linux, to the Steam Controller API, to Vulkan, the improvements have been felt across PC gaming.

Last edited:

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Developers on Steam get the same that on PSN, Xbox Live and other places because 30% is the standard. People talk like Valve is the only one doing it.

And now we have Itch that is better than all those launchers.
Though I would like to point out that the 30% isnt necessarily even the case. Developer can sell Steam keys outside Steam and im not aware that the 30% is actually set in stone?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So let me get this straight:
  1. Microsoft store is shitty, but seems to be the closer in term of features than any other attempt.
Lol no.

Still no third party controllers support, there is no such thing as a Workshop, it doesn't have an own community integrated,you have to use Xbox which is a separate app so already less convenient, and last time i used it a found the app itself not very intuitive.

Microsoft services are not that different from Uplay and Origin: it's all about using Microsoft products, using their tools and promoting / keeping up to date their games more than the others.

GOG is the closest to Steam cause it solves many thing by giving more freedom to the consumer: for example the list in the OP shows that it doesn't have family sharing but because it's all Free DRM, you can easily log in from a different computer and download the game on multiple devices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
  1. Microsoft store is shitty, but seems to be the closer in term of features than any other attempt.
  2. Competition is useless, but once forced steam to have refunds. And now made valve lower it's cut in some games.
  3. Exclusive games are not the way to make people to buy in your shop, but some people only have accounts there because of the games, not the features.
I'm getting old guys, can someone update me on how logic work these days?

1. The MS Store is broken, Use it and download a few large games and your downloads might break, sometimes using disk space you cant recover. The Store itself will not work due to sometimes due to a botched windows update.

2. Many storefronts still do not have automatic refunds. and Devs can sell Steam keys that give Valve 0% cut.

3. Many people also do not buy games not on steam like Gwent, elder scrolls online, bad north and they all eventually come to steam due to poor sales. Also, most of the steam features can be used for Non-Steam games too.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao.

Between the Trumpesque 'fake news' stuff and your resorting to personal attacks, one wonders if you arent a bit too emotionally invested in Steam for your own good.
I like how you conveniently didn't respond to the poster that quoted you and gave actual examples of what was wrong with that "article".

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao.

Earlier you said it was a survey.

I mean, this is very much a misrepresentation. It isn't even good journalism given that they could have fact checked the nonsense posted by those developers.

If you ask me that very much follows the typical right wing media MO. Start with a conclusion, and fill in "opinions" to support it, no matter how erroneous or disingenuous.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Most games let you change keybindings in games. Thats...a standard thing? I dont really use controllers on steam so..
Even still it is a nice feature to have because not all games would let you change controller configurations by default.

I am playing Darksiders 3 and far as I've seen I can't seem to rebind controller buttons. With Steam Controller Config. I could reassign the attack buttons to say the shoulder buttons. I could even make it so by pressing say the L1 button on my DS4 when playing a game it'll be as if I pressed L1+R1. So using Steam controller config you can assign 2 buttons that a game recognizes onto 1 single button on your controller.

To give a more easy example: The Street Fighter Collection does not have an option to Have 3 Punches or 3 Kicks assigned to L1 and L2, with Steam Controller config I can do just that. I am unware if they patched it in as after I assigned it using Steam Controller options, I didn't fiddle with the ingame controller options.

I also bought Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer, which didn't recognize my DS4 controller by default, with a little fiddling I'd just add the game to Steam Client, and re-assign buttons to my preference.

Video games didn't exist starting from the PS360 era, and there are older games that don't have native controller support, or were only designed to be played with keyboard on PCs. Steam Controller Configurations makes it more comfortable to play some games if one prefers to play with an X1, DS4, or even a Nintendo controller.

Just because it is a feature you don't use doesn't make it 'excess fat', because, at least, there will be others who use those features to their personal benefit. I don't use all the features on my PS4 such as Share factory and Play share, but I wouldn't call them excess fat just because I don't use them.

Heck here's one more example:
Thanks to Steam Controller Config, I was able to assign mouse movement to my Right analog stick for playing Xanadu Next, as the base controller configurations in the game didn't work properly for me, so I wasn't able to access my inventory conveniently.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the main draw of the Windows Store especially for MS first party and even works with gamepass and there would be nothing to stop the likes of EA or Ubi doing the same thing. Also Epics new store will I guess support it with Fortnite at least.

I don't understand how this wouldn't be something worth considering.
It's only available on select titles, with plenty missing (notoriously Sunset Overdrive recently). Steam also supports cross buy between Windows and Linux as well as cross buy through other stores (like GOG giving you GOG copies of your Steam games by checking your account, or websites giving you both DRM-free builds and Steam keys )

And regarding EA and Uni... No, they literally couldn't. No platform holder will ever allow publishers to have crossed buy on the latest mega million AAA games.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. These two arent exclusives. You can be shitty while being "the closer". It just means other attempts are abysmal.
2. Europe forced Steam to have refunds. As for the lower cuts: No benefits for consumers.
3. That's not what OP says. They're claiming that Exclusive games aren't the way to make others improve their storefront.

You're not getting old, just dense and transparent. You can't even be bothered to read a thread.
The only thing transparent here is that the criticism to another store don't come from the wish of having better options, but from the frustration of not having a one all end all solution. The place to not having to think about how to get a game is on consoles, in PC we pay the price of having options by making decisions and solving problem by ourselves instead of relaying on overlords to add the features that we want. We mod, we configure, we pacth and we circumvent obstacle just so we can have our way. We always did and we always will. Since when any company has stopped PC gamers to play their way? They tried, sure, but always failed miserably.

But no, some people just want to rely on valve blindly since they have done so much right, no way they will eventually fuck up, right Sony?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing transparent here is that the criticism to another store don't come from the wish of having better options, but from the frustration of not having a one all end all solution. The place to not having to think about how to get a game is on consoles, in PC we pay the price of having options by making decisions and solving problem by ourselves instead of relaying on overlords to add the features that we want. We mod, we configure, we pacth and we circumvent obstacle just so we can have our way. We always did and we always will. Since when any company has stopped PC gamers to play their way? They tried, sure, but always failed miserably.

But no, some people just want to rely on valve blindly since they have done so much right, no way they will eventually fuck up, right Sony?

The frustration comes from not having a one all end all solution because a few actors are making it so while not even providing convenient tools. You're right, it's clearly transparent people complaining here are doing it because of their own convenience reasons.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018

Nobody can solve the problems MS Store has other than MS themselves, MS Store encrypts game files, you literally cannot do anything you just said. users cannot fix a broken delivery system this is ridiculous

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing transparent here is that the criticism to another store don't come from the wish of having better options, but from the frustration of not having a one all end all solution.
You know what would be wonderful?

If other stores actually bothered to try. Tried to entice people by providing a good user experience?

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how it's gone from "valve need to step up their game" to "uh... Well... We didn't ask for all these features!" in record time.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You missed about 90% of the posts made in this thread. Damn son, colour me impressed.
Why don't you help me and quote those enlighten posts that I "clearly missed" that will totally change my opinion in the subject and are totally not the same old condescending arguments that we see in this board over and over again?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Lmao.

In a universe where we don't take everything devs say at face value, especially when we know that their 'opinions and concerns' are based on gross misunderstandings of basic features and economic realities. That article is filled with easily refutable nonsense like the whole bit about regional pricing. Add to that the things I've read on Twitter from devs since yesterday and no, Steam isn't their biggest problem, its them being maybe great at designing games but horrible at everything else and now banking on Epic/Tencent to magically fix all the wrongs of the world for them. Some really need a reality check. And to tweet less. Like, way less.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Why don't you help me and quote those enlighten posts that I "clearly missed" that will totally change my opinion in the subject and are totally not the same old condescending arguments that we see in this board over and over again?
Dude, there are 8 pages worth of posts which you somehow managed to miss. Obviously im going to act condescending to you. Thats a given at this point. And no, I am not going to restate the same comment for the 10th time, you can start by reading earlier posts.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Steam isn't their biggest problem, its them being maybe great at designing games but horrible at everything else and now banking on Epic/Tencent to magically fix all the wrongs of the world for them. Some really need a reality check. And to tweet less. Like, way less.
If I were to state the biggest problem, it is that there are too many of them.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I love how it's gone from "valve need to step up their game" to "uh... Well... We didn't ask for all these features!" in record time.
And uh.. the competition.. uhh when games are anti competitively walled behind invisible barriers for no good reason or benefit.. uh.. Steam bad mkaayy...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, there are 8 pages worth of posts which you somehow managed to miss. Obviously im going to act condescending to you. Thats a given at this point. And no, I am not going to restate the same comment for the 10th time, you can start by reading earlier posts.

Yup - there's a vast amount of good information in the thread, mostly backed up by links, but even when not, it's easy to Google things. At this point in time in the thread, people are either a) being lazy, b) being disingenuous, or c) trolling.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

I will say in terms you will understand.
Remember when people went crazy that Sony didn't have crossplay support but, MS did and everyone went mad ?
It's kind of like that here on PC where all these other stores don't have these features people expect them to have but they don't so they are mad.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ooga booga Steam bad
Epic Game Store good no features ooga booga
*swings with club on computer*

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. it goes like this: "Valve doesn't offer anything. Except when they do, in which case I'd rather they didn't. They don't do anything to justify their cut, except when they do, in which case they should remove all those features and take a lower cut just because."

Yeah, these arguments are disingenuous as disingenuous can be. Nobody who really cared about PC gaming would say something like this.

If I were to state the biggest problem, it is that there are too many of them.
Yep, there's an overabundance of quality stuff out there. We're at the point where the only thing devs who want more good games to succed can do is to stop releasing their own good games so others can get a chance to flourish.

And before anyone misinterprets this post, I'm not asking for less games to be released. I'm glad there's such a high number of great games being released so often, even if it means I'll miss 99% of them.

Last edited:

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Ooga booga Steam bad

I thought this was a joke, but this is the level of discourse I've seen in the epic game store thread as well as here.

GHG said:

Also if anyone is just joining this is the best summation of events.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
And before anyone misinterprets this post, I'm not asking for less games to be released. I'm glad there's such a high number of great games being released so often, even if it means I'll miss 99% of them
It means that they have to *cough* compete for our money.

It's good for us, bad for them. There is no solution that will magically fix this ill (other than the obvious one). Having other platforms where they might have more visibility is good, but it will only be good for some.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
  2. Competition is useless, but once forced steam to have refunds. And now made valve lower it's cut in some games.
  3. Exclusive games are not the way to make people to buy in your shop, but some people only have accounts there because of the games, not the features.
I'm getting old guys, can someone update me on how logic work these days?
It's really simple, actually:
1. Microsoft has the unique "feature" of distributing a game in a way which makes it incompatible with almost all commonly used third party tools. That alone makes it worse than even the shittiest publisher stores.
2. Competition is good when it results in benefits. It is not a virtue in and of itself, and taking away options while offering nothing new is not competition.
3. Exclusives are a way to make people use your shop, but they aren't a way that benefits people and they are not the actual kind of competition which leads to a better platform for customers. Rather the opposite.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Ooga booga Steam bad
i never thought i would live long enough to see public perception turn on Valve. And i never dared to dream that such a thing would happen while Gabe was around. For such things to start happening with him at the helm? #blessed

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
My mind is blown that someone would consider the inventory system bad. My god, I have loved that since the TF2 days. I used to trade to get items I wanted, then when the market place kicked in, I just sold everything for a profit. TF2/CS/PUBG have all given me quite a nice amount of "free" games & DLC

I am still surprised the Battle.net has not attempted it again since the RMAH. I am sure Blizzard would easily implement it into Overwatch, HotS, and WoW. I mean it should have worked with Diablo 3, but the implementation looking back at it was laughable

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This chart pretty much represents why I've never opened any of these other stores except to play a game that was locked down to it. On the other hand, here are some examples of reasons I've opened Steam to not play or buy a game:

Upload screenshots to a game's community hub
Manage my profile page
Sell some items on the marketplace
Chat with people
Go on forums\discussions
Browse\download mods
Look at my achievements
Read user reviews
Add\remove games from my wishlist by checking out my discovery queue

And then there's Steam streaming which has been essential in the past (either via Steamlink or just streaming to another PC\laptop).

Steam is always open when I'm on my PC. But things like Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, etc only get opened when I go to play a game. Thus, I prefer to get games on Steam unless I can't. Somehow I don't see this changing anytime soon.

I thought this was a joke, but this is the level of discourse I've seen in the epic game store thread as well as here.
It's either posts like that, or posts that all pretty much say "Valve needs competition, Steam has been *insert negative adjective here* for *insert exaggerated length of time here*"

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Great work on the chart. Unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears. The people who shit up Steam threads here don't care about the facts, they just want to 'bring Steam down a peg' because they are still bitter that it brought PC gaming back to the forefront and they had to make room for another major platform.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Alright I think I fixed all the inaccuracies in the sheet mentioned by members here, also fixed it in the OP.

EDIT: Durante fixed it 😊
lbvpdwv.png

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things that are helpful to users: Badges? Inventory? Guides?
This is a console war type list.

I don't need the conglomerate client, I have google, youtube, twitch, reddit and discord which do the job much better than the "features" packed inside Steam. I think most people have come to terms that you will not have one app to rule them all, it is all about specialist services being as good as possible. And I hope that no storefront is going to waste their resources into building many of the redundant or useless features which Steam has.

Platform owners investing millions into developing first or third party games benefit me the most. As long as they have smooth basic features, I am set. If they want to release products cheaper - guess who wins again?

If Origin or Uplay got the feature parity tomorrow, NOBODY WOULD CARE. If BFV or Fallout were as good/in-demand as RDR2, there would be a massive spike in Origin/Bethesda launcher downloads. So publishers have to make better products if they want to see those client-installs.

Nobody downloads launchers for these "features"...

Stuff like community guides aren't a big deal until you need them. The first modern AAA game I played on my current PC when I got a new GPU was Ryse and I was having huge fps fluctuations for some reason. Now I could have gone to google but I'm not the best at searching for stuff and who knows if the problem would have even showed up but when I had the steam overlay open I noticed in the corner under guides the very first one was "fix for nvidia users" so I clicked on it and it was literally a quick control panel change. Game was perfect after that.

It's just another incremental feature that isn't a big deal on its own but helps improve the overall user experience. They also frequently have achievement guides there if you care about that stuff, and it's nice because for PC specific games it's hard to find achievement guides. There's plenty for xbox and playstation but not so much for steam/PC.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
brokenswiftie One minor thing, GoG actually has leaderboard support now IIRC.

This entire post makes not a lick of sense.

As you may or may not know, I am a PC gamer.
And I might from time to time even have modded -- not in the sense of downloading a mod and using it, but actually, you know, implementing it.

But what does any of this have to do with accepting fewer useful features without getting anything in return?

Because I mod games, I should prefer shitty publisher clients and lacking platform features? How? Why?
Why are we according to your logic supposed to accept that without complaint, when Steam demonstrates that it doesn't need to be the case?

That we can actually have a gaming platform with all those features and all the myriad advantages of the PC HW/SW ecosystem?

The only thing transparent here is that the criticism to another store don't come from the wish of having better options
This point in particular is just a complete non-sequitur.
The entire thread is explicitly dedicated to pointing out the options that are lacking which many people appreciate.

Unlike the vast majority of "concerns" about Valve and Steam, the feature matrix at the beginning of the thread is not outdated, it's not a meme, it's a simple collection of facts.

Whether or not everyone needs every single feature there is irrelevant: the point is that lots of PC gamers really appreciate some subset of them, and that tons of them are missing from most of the platforms.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Microsoft store is shitty, but seems to be the closer in term of features than any other attempt.

That may be true. But the Microsoft Store also has some serious drawbacks and technical issues that aren't a thing on ANY other games store on PC. We had many threads already on Era about what's wrong with Microsofts store.

Competition is useless, but once forced steam to have refunds. And now made valve lower it's cut in some games.

Competition isn't useless at all, on the contrary. But using exclusivity to push gamers in a store with less features or even significant drawbacks compared to already established stores has very little to do with competition. It only causes fragmentation.

In my opinion, the only client that actually tries to compete with Steam is GoG Galaxy. Their DRM-free stance is a huge plus for me. Sadly, most of the AAA games aren't available on galaxy because the majority of the big publishers doesn't want to drop DRM.

Exclusive games are not the way to make people to buy in your shop, but some people only have accounts there because of the games, not the features.

And how exactly does it benefit us as gamers that we have to make another account, with a separate friendslist, achievements etc to be able to play a certain game? Pretty sure the majority of PC gamers would rather have all their games within a single ecosystem. That doesn't mean that only a single ecosystem can exist of course. The more choice the better. But is has to be a CHOICE. That's what this thread is all about.

Since I'm also getting old, I hope I made some sense for you :)

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Alright I think I fixed all the inaccuracies in the sheet mentioned by members here, also fixed it in the OP.

vG2SOJH.png
About the subscription services, there are subscriptions you can buy from other stories that come in the form of Steam keys like the one that Humble does. It's not part of the client or store itself, but it is a thing that's made possible by its policies on generating and selling keys on other stores.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.