• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these "features" are the exact reason I've stopped using Steam lol
ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
About the subscription services, there are subscriptions you can buy from other stories that come in the form of Steam keys like the one that Humble does. It's not part of the client or store itself, but it is a thing that's made possible by its policies on generating and selling keys on other stores.
Humble is a third party entity though not something provided by the storefront, unlike Origin Access or Gamepass
I've added a "3rd Party Keys" row for stuff like GMG, Humble etc.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really get behind this thought process....

Arg! My friends keep trying to chat with me. I just want to play games!
I can refund this game? No other stores allowed me to refund my games. All that money I could have saved. I am outraged!
Wait, this has STREAMING? Streaming killed my grandmother. That's it! No more Steam.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't really get behind this thought process....

Arg! My friends keep trying to chat with me. I just want to play games!
I can refund this game? No other stores allowed me to refund my games. All that money I could have saved. I am outraged!
Wait, this has STREAMING? Streaming killed my grandmother. That's it! No more Steam.

Why'd you pick those specific features?

Tangentially however, yes, the "community" features of Steam are mostly a net negative for the platform for me personally. I'd much rather use other platforms to communicate and coordinate with my friends as the Steam community integration is at best lazy and at worst a mild hinderance.

Well this is certainly a new excuse to me.

It's not an excuse it's just how I feel about playing games on Steam. The "features" aren't all as attractive as each other.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I didn't think I needed to install Playnite but seems like it's finally time to combine it all into one.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Valve hired the best psychologists to devise methods to addict you to their store via cards and badges. How could you just leave them like that?

lol right? Where else am I going to start games and then alt-tab out of them to idle my way into 9 cents worth of jpgs?!

Really though, I do still play games on Steam because it's the biggest most convenient place to play them AND they just released Artifact which is fucking dope

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Why'd you pick those specific features?

Tangentially however, yes, the "community" features of Steam are mostly a net negative for the platform for me personally. I'd much rather use other platforms to communicate and coordinate with my friends as the Steam community integration is at best lazy and at worst a mild hinderance.
So this "mild hindrance" from community was actually not so mild and made you stop using it altogether? Am I getting this right?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
2. Competition is good when it results in benefits. It is not a virtue in and of itself, and taking away options while offering nothing new is not competition.

And in this case, the Epic store could very well lead to Steam reducing the 30% cut for all developers. Which would be a good thing in a world where development costs are rising and opposition to MTX is rising.

This has been the Crux of my arguments for the past 24 hrs.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
More competition is good as it will force steam to actually put work into its storefront and spend more time on improving the UI etc.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More competition is good as it will force steam to actually put work into its storefront and spend more time on improving the UI etc.
I can't actually tell if these posts are serious anymore. They all read like they're from some generic "Steam needs competition" comment generator.

The whole point about this thread is that Steam's competitors aren't forcing Steam to do anything because they can't match its features.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this "mild hindrance" from community was actually not so mild and made you stop using it altogether? Am I getting this right?

That along with a multitude of other reasons yes, though I still use Steam occasionally mainly to play games that are exclusive to the platform like the recently released Artifact or to play games I've bought that are unfortunately locked to the platform.

I'm not entirely sure why I have to justify my reasonings for disliking Steam as a platform? If I told you I didn't shop at Walmart would you be equally skeptical?

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That along with a multitude of other reasons yes, though I still use Steam occasionally mainly to play games that are exclusive to the platform like the recently released Artifact or to play games I've bought that are unfortunately locked to the platform.

You've still not answered the question originally posed: What alternative to Steam do you prefer and why?

This is a parody at this point.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not entirely sure why I have to justify my reasonings for disliking Steam as a platform? If I told you I didn't shop at Walmart would you be equally skeptical?

You don't have to justify shit, do whatever pleases you. But if you post your opinions on a forum, you might want to be prepared that someone might comment on them.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you posted that in a thread that showed how Wal-mart is objectively better for its customers than all other stores... yeah, maybe. But from what I can tell, your comment would probably be along the lines of "Yeah but all those things that improve my shopping experience are actually the reason I don't want to shop there."

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
And in this case, the Epic store could very well lead to Steam reducing the 30% cut for all developers. Which would be a good thing in a world where development costs are rising and opposition to MTX is rising.

That's a decent enough argument, what doesn't make sense are the one million posts which claim that Valve needs to "step up" from a customer perspective (or even a developer perspective, other than revenue share, and even that just happened right now in terms of competition).

In fact, everyone else needs to step up, as this thread demonstrates.

I say that as both a developer and an enthusiast PC gamer.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I do agree Steam should do is release a real "lite" client. Just your library of games and a list of your friends. DO AWAY WITH THOSE USELESS FEATURES PEOPLE NEVER ASKED FOR.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

I wouldn't go to a Walmart competitors forum, to tell them I stopped using their services for "these exact reasons" and then leave without explaining what these reasons actually are?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You've still not answered the question originally posed: What alternative to Steam do you prefer and why?
Battle.net, Origin, GOG, itch.io, etc etc etc

Why? Multiple reasons, game exclusivity, easy of use and portability of games, friend migration, bought games that were on sale for lower than the Steam price. It's not as if Valve has done one individual thing that has made me reticent to launch a game from their platform, it's a cumulation of small things over time that has made me go from a 100% Steam PC user to a more even split among multiple other platforms.

If you posted that in a thread that showed how Wal-mart is objectively better for its customers than all other stores... yeah, maybe.

Objectively better?

I mean, for you I guess. Then that's not objective though is it?

I posted because while I understand if someone else finds the listed features to all be personally positive, I find some of the listed features to be personally negative in my experience. So much for objectivity I suppose.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I do agree Steam should do is release a real "lite" client. Just your library of games and a list of your friends. DO AWAY WITH THOSE USELESS FEATURES PEOPLE NEVER ASKED FOR.

ReliableGoodnaturedKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

You guys make it sound like you're being held at gunpoint to click anything outside of STORE & LIBRARY

TuhSnta.png

Just don't use the features if you don't want to? it's not that difficult.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ReliableGoodnaturedKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

You guys make it sound like you're being held at gunpoint to click anything outside of STORE & LIBRARY

TuhSnta.png

Just don't use the features if you don't want to? it's not that difficult.

That's all I do.

And I do that on other stores as well become some other stores do it better in my opinion.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
That's all I do.

And I do that on other stores as well become some other stores do it better in my opinion.
Ed4LdEW.jpg

I'd be interested to know how many people give a shit about most of that stuff.
As shown in the 9(!) pages we have on this topic, quite a bit of people.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

I've explained exactly what my reasoning is.
Clearly you didn't.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's all I do.

But you listed a bunch of things that are not just "play game" a few posts above:

Battle.net, Origin, GOG, itch.io, etc etc etc

Why? Multiple reasons, game exclusivity, easy of use and portability of games, friend migration, bought games that were on sale for lower than the Steam price. It's not as if Valve has done one individual thing that has made me reticent to launch a game from their platform, it's a cumulation of small things over time that has made me go from a 100% Steam PC user to a more even split among multiple other platforms.

So what's really going on here? Can we cut the bullshit?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to sell my xbox guys. The monthly feature updates it gets is just too stressful on me.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But you listed a bunch of things that are not just "play game" a few posts above:

So what's really going on here? Can we cut the bullshit?
What do you mean "what's really going on here"?

I enjoy other platforms, for numerous reasons. What's the question?

Y'all really like Steam huh? I don't begrudge y'alls enjoyment of the Steam storefront.

I'm going to sell my xbox guys. The monthly feature updates it gets is just too stressful on me.

This is a bad example considering the Xbox UI seems to get slower with each monthly feature update lol

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I certainly give a shit about refunds, Linux support, universal controller mapping, workshop mod integration and free unlimited key generation. Everything else is gravy.

There's something to be said about simplicity and doing a few things very well, but a lot of Steam competitors do close to nothing and sometimes aren't even very good at that.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Oh I see we've pivoted toward "well... all those extra features Steam added are BAD" now.

you people have lost it

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017

Which while good for developers is actually bad for customers - we will lose the great discounts official Steam resellers like Voidu or Greenmangaming offer for upcoming releases (plus the more grey shops like CDKeys.com).

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

All that matters is the fact that those features exist for those who do give a shit.

Even if something only matters for one person why would you want to take it away? Because it doesn't matter to you?

Or is it because you want to find a way to "invalidate" the table in the OP?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
All that matters is the fact that those features exist for those who do give a shit.

Even if something only matters for one person why would you want to take it away? Because it doesn't matter to you?

Or is it because you want to find a way to "invalidate" the table in the OP?

It seems like the premise of the thread is more things = better. I'm not invalidating that some people want some of those things, just that having more stuff does not automatically make it a better option.

The tone of the OP acting like it's some kind of objective measure of Steam superiority kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Can people not prefer Steam but also think that competition is good for them?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Valve provides a lot of stuff for devs as mentioned above and also the fact that valve single-handedly saved PC gaming. PC gaming was in a dire state not many years ago, distribution was terrible, piracy was rampant, many developers stopped making games for PC. Steam arrives and opens itself for non-Valve games and with sales and effective distribution turned the PC market around. The fact that PC gaming is healthy today is all because of Steam. Final Fantasy and Yakuza on PC, 100% due to Steam's success.

I wish people would stop touting this as "fact"

PC gaming was fine. You didn't get your JRPGs, but that had hardly gotten worse - it had simply always been bad until PC got its own central digital distribution platform. As someone who was happily gaming on PC all through the supposed drought, this is bizarro world.

The most funny thing is that people used to mock devs and pubs for claiming that piracy killed PC gaming ("again?") - now they're using the same rhetoric >XD

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Which while good for developers is actually bad for customers - we will lose the great discounts official Steam resellers like Voidu or Greenmangaming offer for upcoming releases (plus the more grey shops like CDKeys.com).

Then ensure you don't complain about the era of lootboxes and MTX, then.
It's hard for a shitload of developers to turn a profit via Steam, as more and more games get released. There are only so many games that can be promoted heavily on the platform. It's pro-consumer to want developers to make more money...in many cases to even allow devs make a living.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
It seems like the premise of the thread is more things = better. I'm not invalidating that some people want some of those things, just that having more stuff does not automatically make it a better option.

The tone of the OP acting like it's some kind of objective measure of Steam superiority kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Can people not prefer Steam but also think that competition is good for them?
This is an educational thread since many people on this site don't exactly know what are the differentiating features between different launchers on PC.
Many people come to discuss on PC threads without any knowledge about it and the whole thread get's derailed because of it. This thread itself has been derailed multiple times as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.