• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind RE7 and MHW came from different Capcom divisions. MHW is Dev 2's first AAA PC port at all, they handle Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Mega Man and Sengoku Basara. RE7 was from Dev 1 who handles Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma and Okami. DR4 is from their Vancouver studio who does pretty much only Dead Rising.

Division 3, not 2. 2 is the fighting game division.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So first Steam was filled with prankster uncles, now it's filled with double dippers?

Deleted member 32309

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
No one is going to die over it, but I hope it's clear to everyone that for companies this large, the "we didn't have the resources" excuse is complete bullshit.
No one asked them to develop it "in house", especially given their relative inexperience about the platform in contrast with their strong history of quality ports developed by external studios.

They simply didn't want to invest on the outsorcing, but let's not pretend there wasn't any other way to handle this.

imo it's more they had no faith it could sell that well on pc because audience of the licence is not there.
now they know.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
imo it's more they had no faith it could sell that well on pc because audience of the licence is not there.
now they know.

Honestly even that's not excusable. How could they not have an inkling of an audience that would end up buying 2m+ copies of your game? Publisher's have entire teams dedicated to market research and new revenue opportunities. Is Capcom's division just incompetent at their job? What are they being paid for if this could slip past them.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hes
SteamSpy numbers are extremely inaccurate and have a huge margin of error. This means nothing tbh. I can 100% guarantee you that the owner numbers were not 2.3m yesterday and are not 1.8 million now.
What algorithm is he even using nowadays, after the privacy changes made its regular and fairly decent algorithm stop working?
New method is not that innacurate but not yet 100% sure of it. Well see when capcom announces sales how close it was. Its def not a HUGE margin . He explains in his blogs for members.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
New method is not that innacurate but not yet 100% sure of it. Well see when capcom announces sales how close it was. Its def not a HUGE margin . He explains in his blogs for members.
Yeah, I believe the margin of error is 10% at most. Which kinda checks out with the current situation. The number has been hovering from 2 million to 2.3 million, and down to 1.8 million. Looks like the game has sold more or less 2 million copies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought Sony paid for Japan exclusivity because it was a massive console seller there. Capcom said recently that Sony helped them with it in Japan, so thats why I thought they had exclusivity.

They didn't bother with a Japan Xbox One release because Sony moneyhatted console exclusivity in Asia. This is Capcom's ONLY Xbox One game not to release in Japan and the western version even supports a Japanese language option.
This will never make sense considering how dead Xbox is in Asia, people were also saying there won't be an Asia PC version because of Sony and look where we are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This will never make sense considering how dead Xbox is in Asia, people were also saying there won't be an Asia PC version because of Sony and look where we are.
No, what actually makes no sense is Capcom considering the Japanese Xbox market viable enough to publish Dragon's Dogma DA, Okami HD, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, MVCI, every RE game, every Mega Man Collection, literally EVERY CAPCOM GAME except their biggest game and lone million seller. The theory that makes no sense, has zero logic behind it, is the notion that "how dead Xbox is in Asia" would somehow be the reasoning it didn't get ONLY MHW. Despite Xbox still getting a full JP language option globally.

As far as the PC port, until Capcom announced (and Tencent leaked) an Asian release in late July it apparently wasn't coming to the platform. The complete press and media blackout actually supports the notion of Sony moneyhatting as that's how things have gone for other PC ports they've gotten console exclusivity windows on (Nier Automata, Nioh, etc).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Division 3, not 2. 2 is the fighting game division.
Not anymore. Ono got demoted, seems like he lost the MMO dev team to Tsujimoto (they co-developed MHW) and now he only co-produces fighting games with contracted devs. He doesn't seem to have an actual dev team now but just a planning dept.

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, I believe the margin of error is 10% at most. Which kinda checks out with the current situation. The number has been hovering from 2 million to 2.3 million, and down to 1.8 million. Looks like the game has sold more or less 2 million copies.
here is what he said in his latest blog today which explains the situation.

The current plan is to roll-out the new algorithm this weekend. I've tried to launch it last weekend, but ran into some issues with accuracy, so decided to keep the existing one for one more week.

The idea is to use multiple algorithms for different games and different stages in a life cycle. I'll start with two for newly released games and for established titles. The current algorithm kinda overestimates the first week sales and then underestimates the long tail, so having two different algorithms manage that should help in the long run.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

So.. its been more than a week now, i see its still in the range between 2-5m owners on Steamspy but what are the exact numbers on your end?

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't actually show that.
It obviously sold well, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have sold even better with a day-and-date release.

It just means it would've sold better day and date and that they're wasting potential sales. Why do you think each releases of Dark Souls performed better on Steam ?

I'm not talking exclusivly about PC sales, I'm talking about the total sales. Sure, PC sales would have been better with day and date but then consoles sells would be less.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
over 2 million sold in the first week. That's impressive. Can't wait for Capcom to release some QoL patches, because MHW is an amazing game that deserves all the attention it can get. It's just being held back by a few small issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
So I been torn on buying it, I never could get into the series.. Is this a little different overall any? Outside of killing boss enemies, what are some things you can do? Just hunt for mats to build gear?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I been torn on buying it, I never could get into the series.. Is this a little different overall any? Outside of killing boss enemies, what are some things you can do? Just hunt for mats to build gear?
Mostly, yeah. The core gameplay loop is: discover monster, hunt monster, make gear out of monster. In between that, you'll be gathering resources from the monsters' homes. There's really not much here for someone who doesn't like the idea of fighting large bosses for 8-20 minutes at a time (depends on your skill).

You don't need to build every armor set, so you don't have to grind every boss, but expect to kill the monster with the set you want somewhere between 4-15 times (15 if you're really unlucky and don't get a gem, which is something like a 8-15% drop rate per hunt if you're doing it right). A skilled player can make it through the entire game on 2 or 3 sets, less skilled players might need 5 or 6 (the ability to upgrade armor without needing to build a new set helps and must reduce that number a bit).

There are occasional quests to deliver resources and investigations where you can explore the biomes without a goal to hunt something, allowing you to learn the maps, where the bosses live in those maps, and where the rare resources/cat allies live in the maps.

TLDR: if you don't want to hunt big bosses over and over, this really isn't for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Mostly, yeah. The core gameplay loop is: discover monster, hunt monster, make gear out of monster. In between that, you'll be gathering resources from the monsters' homes. There's really not much here for someone who doesn't like the idea of fighting large bosses for 8-20 minutes at a time (depends on your skill).

You don't need to build every armor set, so you don't have to grind every boss, but expect to kill the monster with the set you want somewhere between 4-15 times (15 if you're really unlucky and don't get a gem, which is something like a 8-15% drop rate per hunt if you're doing it right). A skilled player can make it through the entire game on 2 or 3 sets, less skilled players might need 5 or 6 (the ability to upgrade armor without needing to build a new set helps and must reduce that number a bit).

There are occasional quests to deliver resources and investigations where you can explore the biomes without a goal to hunt something, allowing you to learn the maps, where the bosses live in those maps, and where the rare resources/cat allies live in the maps.

TLDR: if you don't want to hunt big bosses over and over, this really isn't for you.

How varied is the land? Are there a ton of areas to explore and see or are there like 3 or 4 maps you tend to go back and forth in?

See I love every concept about it, but I'm not a boss kill freak... Like for me in souls games the bosses are my least favorite part as exploring and gearing up is what I love. If getting and working on a character is similar then Itll definitely make me enjoy boss hunts even more

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
How varied is the land? Are there a ton of areas to explore and see or are there like 3 or 4 maps you tend to go back and forth in?

See I love every concept about it, but I'm not a boss kill freak... Like for me in souls games the bosses are my least favorite part as exploring and gearing up is what I love. If getting and working on a character is similar then Itll definitely make me enjoy boss hunts even more
Well, it's not open world. You can traverse between areas freely - You choose a place and go there, usually on a quest but you can also do an expedition without an objective. As you progress, you open more areas, but you have a number of quests in each so there's repetition here.
I love it, but it's not really an exploration game.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

There are 4 maps. There's not a lot of exploration to be done outside of the first few times you visit.

There are no stats tied to your character, everything is gear. Progression can be helped by gear, but you won't do well without learning the fights and getting better at using the weapon you chose.

Each weapon plays completely differently from the others. Finding the right weapon can be challenging, but it's really rewarding when it all clicks and you pull off some crazy attacks on a monster.

Really, though, if you don't like bosses this might not be your thing. If you can try a demo, I'd recommend that. The small monsters are not the focus of this game, and they generally amount to annoyances that harry you while you are attacking the large monsters.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

If you want an example of what you'll be doing, Dauntless is currently in open beta on PC and is F2P

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There are 4 maps. There's not a lot of exploration to be done outside of the first few times you visit.

There are no stats tied to your character, everything is gear. Progression can be helped by gear, but you won't do well without learning the fights and getting better at using the weapon you chose.

Each weapon plays completely differently from the others. Finding the right weapon can be challenging, but it's really rewarding when it all clicks and you pull off some crazy attacks on a monster.

Really, though, if you don't like bosses this might not be your thing. If you can try a demo, I'd recommend that. The small monsters are not the focus of this game, and they generally amount to annoyances that harry you while you are attacking the large monsters.

There are 5 maps

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oops! Yeah, my bad.

Ancient Forest (lots of verticality, somewhat confusing)
Wildspire Waste (flat, easy to navigate)
Coral Highlands (lots of vertically, not confusing, beautiful)
Rotten Vale (dark, easy layout, great music)
Elder's Recess (somewhat vertical, lava areas)

Still, if someone is looking for exploration they're probably not going to get enough from 5 maps.

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oops! Yeah, my bad.

Ancient Forest (lots of verticality, somewhat confusing)
Wildspire Waste (flat, easy to navigate)
Coral Highlands (lots of vertically, not confusing, beautiful)
Rotten Vale (dark, easy layout, great music)
Elder's Recess (somewhat vertical, lava areas)

Still, if someone is looking for exploration they're probably not going to get enough from 5 maps.
theres only 5 maps? ouch...i was expecting more.