• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for the Knuckles. Vive wands are pretty annoying to use sometimes. I hope they have some sort of control sticks on them as I don't really like the trackpad for a lot of games.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
We can't say for certain, but I'd guess they're slowly ramping up production while trying to maximize profits per unit sold, starting with the most important piece first. Seems pretty straighforward and clear to me. So, basically...

TwcbbjM.gif

But we're talking 1 month, hell, less so even considering the bundle is available in Asia. It does not look like maximizing profits, more like they don't have a real plan going a head, and are just playing catch up.
Basically this is what happened:
Vive Pro announced, HMD only at first, Full bundle "later" (rumored in the fall right?).
Release date 5:th of April gets announced.
Day before release they add the accessories bundle as an extra package
Vive Pro HMD only released 5:th of April
2 weeks later Vive Pro Full bundle is seen in the wild.
1 week after, Vive Pro Full Bundle is available to pre-order from Amazon. @ $1399 for tracking that is said to have a lower BOM.

Today: Vive Pro HMD only, with accessories bundle is still available on Vive's own store, for $1369

they're really pricing themselves out of the user market, and also losing a ton of mindshare and good will.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
But are there any obviously better headset out there? Products sold as top of the line frequently care little about good will or mindshare. As Don Mattrick would say, "We have a product for those who can't afford the Vive Pro, it's called the Vive"

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
But are there any obviously better headset out there? Products sold as top of the line frequently care little about good will or mindshare. As Don Mattrick would say, "We have a product for those who can't afford the Vive Pro, it's called the Vive"
Mattrick's comments weren't about price, but about always online. And top of the line, if you want to really compare, it's basically just a higher res screen, the same screen available in the $499 Samsung Odyssey.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Well it appears they're now officially pivoting to enterprise, as the bundle on the UK site redirects to enterprise.vive.com. £1299 for the bundle (enterprise support is an additional £165)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Well, Pimax is supposed to be a real competitor, being compatible and all that.
Here is hoping they do not delay it much longer.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'd like to think they went with one analog and one trackpad, but it seems odd that they'd put the stick on the right controller. Seems like they'd go stick on the left if they were actually gonna go a split route. Here's hoping, though.
That would be very bad for left-handed people, so I highly doubt they'd do that.
(Unlike the current wands, the left/right knuckle aren't interchangeable)

Anyway, I've said more than enough on the topic of thumbsticks and how boring they are before :P

But are there any obviously better headset out there?
I thikn it's fair to say that there isn't a better HMD out there right now than the Vive Pro. (That you can easily acquire, not some custom 10k USD thing)

That doesn't make the price point better, but from a "professional" perspective (ie. if you do product demonstrations, or have a VR arcade, or are a developer) the hardware price is still in the negligible range.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That would be very bad for left-handed people, so I highly doubt they'd do that.
(Unlike the current wands, the left/right knuckle aren't interchangeable)

Anyway, I've said more than enough on the topic of thumbsticks and how boring they are before :P

We've all kind of beat this topic into the ground. I'm still trying to win that middle ground. LOL. Do left-handers actually move with the right stick, though? I thought they all moved with the left stick? Heck, I remember when the N64 games had you move with the right camera buttons, and aiming was done with the left. Then I thought the general standard (post N64) was movement left, aim right. Back then I could swap routes pretty easily.

I'm gonna forever bury my flag that an analog stick has a singular purpose (locomotion for those who want it). So a 1 + 1 is the most functional design. Of course, I think I'm the only one defending this island.

EDIT: I'm legit curious to see the redesign. I know Chet F was adamantly against moving locomotion. I wonder if him leaving had any effect on Valve's philosophy as a whole. Obviously a strong personality can often sway opinions. So I wonder if he had any effect on that hardware side (or if they all feel strongly about that at Valve and nothing really changed).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Do left-handers actually move with the right stick, though? I thought they all moved with the left stick? Heck, I remember when the N64 games had you move with the right camera buttons, and aiming was done with the left. Then I thought the general standard (post N64) was movement left, aim right. Back then I could swap routes pretty easily.
I don't know how it is with traditional controller games, but with VR I think it's really important to have primary hand mapping. And that would be hard/impossible with asymmetric controller layouts.

I'm also tired of the topic, so if they went with both on both controllers I wouldn't be too annoyed. I just don't think it's possible to put both in a comfortable position, especially with something as "sculpted" as the knuckle controllers.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how it is with traditional controller games, but with VR I think it's really important to have primary hand mapping. And that would be hard/impossible with asymmetric controller layouts.

I'm also tired of the topic, so if they went with both on both controllers I wouldn't be too annoyed. I just don't think it's possible to put both in a comfortable position, especially with something as "sculpted" as the knuckle controllers.

Ah. Never considered that. Makes sense. I honestly don't care that much either. I think I'd probably prefer sticks if I had to choose, but it won't bother me if trackpads are used again (especially since they seem to have made the ergonomics a lot better and more natural for locomotion.)

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Pimax is supposed to be a real competitor, being compatible and all that.
Here is hoping they do not delay it much longer.
I want them to be, but I really don't think Pimax is going to move any needles for HTC. They need someone like that LG headset to really make them compete (in the SteamVR space at least).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to be, but I really don't think Pimax is going to move any needles for HTC. They need someone like that LG headset to really make them compete (in the SteamVR space at least).

Yeah. And a lot of the hate (not all, but quite a bit) for HTC is their dismal customer service. I'd bet money that HTC customer service >>>>> Pimax. For their to be actual competition in the SteamVR space, it has to be from a large consumer electronics company entering. Nothing else is going to really move the needle.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Wonder if it was around the time of the price cuts. It was my theory, back then, it was either gonna get canned or need to be seriously upgraded to sell for a high price and be justified. So I can't say I'm surprised by this. I'd actually bet money it happened once Oculus slashed their price.

SID is this month, though, and we'll get to see the new LG/Google OLED screen collaboration. INT is also showing a super high density AMOLED at SID. So we're likely to see what next gen screens will actually look like.

I don't think we can completely rule LG out for next gen, but if they're out, Valve may have to seriously consider entering the hardware space themselves.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
isn't the bigger news that they fixed support for the Knuckles prototypes? can't be far off now right?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
isn't the bigger news that they fixed support for the Knuckles prototypes? can't be far off now right?
They have been pushing updates for knuckles on and off for months. It's clear they are working on it, but it's not a direct indicator of an imminent release.

That said, I hope they aren't far off! I do think Valve wants to launch them with a game.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing a Star Wars table in Pinball FX last night and kept thinking to myself, "Why does this table look so awful compared to the rest"? It's because it was basically red and black. Really hope LG is at least close to selling OLED panels to other OEMs, because I'm so ready for OLED that is RGB.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jsid.658

Google and LG have published a paper outlining the OLED display they're going to be showing this week at SID.

I'm not sure how much can really be gleaned from it, but it definitely paints an optimistic future for displays. Feels like the recap on Reddit is possibly oversimplifying things, but hopefully we'll get more concrete answers after their presentation.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jsid.658

Google and LG have published a paper outlining the OLED display they're going to be showing this week at SID.

I'm not sure how much can really be gleaned from it, but it definitely paints an optimistic future for displays. Feels like the recap on Reddit is possibly oversimplifying things, but hopefully we'll get more concrete answers after their presentation.
Thank you for the link.

jsid658-fig-0011-mrorec.jpg

A 120Hz globally-shuttered panel with only 1.65ms image persistence?
If only television manufacturers would drive their OLED displays like this.

It's not quite on the level of a CRT in terms of persistence, but getting very close.
crt-persistencegtrym.png

They are apparently reaching 150 nits brightness when driving the panel like this too.

There's a lot of other really interesting information in that paper, such as the images taken before/after mura correction.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll get more information after the presentation is given later.

It's interesting to note they're talking about how it's a different panel type than the OLED used in phones. And they specifically mention ghosting in this regards. But they never come right out and specifically mention if this is in regards to the black issue. I know Carmack used to give talks saying this was a design decision from it being a phone panel (and that it could be addressed if Samsung actually prioritized it in design), but I think it's definitely speculative to wonder whether it's addressing that or not. It'd be cool if it did solve the black/off issue, though.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much Google is apparently intimately involved with these lenses, how confident are we that other players in the space are going to be able to use them rather than these just going in the next Daydream headsets?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is a legit 2.0 controller or just a mistake?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1408289-REG/htc_99hafr001_00_vive_controller.html?sts=pi

I needed a replacement controller in time for Budget Cuts anyway, so I'll find out Friday.

Unless the webpage manager is a real troll, I'd be optimistic you were getting 2.0. But you know how that goes. Stock images can't be trusted.

Considering how much Google is apparently intimately involved with these lenses, how confident are we that other players in the space are going to be able to use them rather than these just going in the next Daydream headsets?

Seems hard to image they would willingly leave the rest of the market to Samsung. Besides, in the current mobile form being discussed, they're only clocking to 75hz. Why do 120hz unless there are other uses/customers for it.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news regarding the Wireless adapter? In particular, if the cable on it can be, how do I say, "Really long"?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any news regarding the Wireless adapter? In particular, if the cable on it can be, how do I say, "Really long"?

I doubt we'll really get that info until it's out in the wild. You're probably right (think it was you), though, in that it looks like it's a standard co-axial cable and distance runs shouldn't be that problematical.