• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rbanke

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I just finished the first Steamworld Dig yesterday after picking it up last week. I really liked it but at the same time, felt it was lacking a point. The act of digging, selling, upgrading was fun but I couldn't shake the feeling of it being almost a pure skinner box as their was next to no story or real motivation for repeating the actions. As said, I definitly enjoyed it but am hesitant to pick up the sequel straight away if its just more of the same. Did they add more of a narrative to the sequel or any other new things that might sway me to buy it now instead of waiting?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first Steamworld Dig yesterday after picking it up last week. I really liked it but at the same time, felt it was lacking a point. The act of digging, selling, upgrading was fun but I couldn't shake the feeling of it being almost a pure skinner box as their was next to no story or real motivation for repeating the actions. As said, I definitly enjoyed it but am hesitant to pick up the sequel straight away if its just more of the same. Did they add more of a narrative to the sequel or any other new things that might sway me to buy it now instead of waiting?

The first game had randomly generated underworld, so it didn't have much to offer. Steamworld Dig 2 is a completely designed world, resulting in a much different and tighter experience. The first was a fun game, the second is a masterpiece.

The narrative is a bit more fleshed in the second one (it's still a gameplay-first game), and many more characters to talk to.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
To address your concern specifically: The "dig-sell-upgrade" loop is present in this game, but it's there as a traversal and resource-gathering mechanic, unlike the first game where the game is literally that. SWD2 is a fully fledged Metroidvania, with distinct "dungeon areas" (which still feature the same sort of mining but more as a traversal mechanic than a goal unto itself), all carefully handcrafted (in contrast with SWD's procedurally randomized mines), along with distinct mechanics in each environment, backtracking, gated progression through gameplay/platforming challenges, etc. It's literally night and day in terms of how refined the gameplay loop is and how it integrates with the rest of the game, and it makes the original SWD feel like a demo for a proof of concept.

rbanke

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I ended up buying it and already put 3 hours into it. It's pretty fantastic. Feels just as good but definitly a deeper experience with a much stronger 'metroidvania' feel to it. Glad I posted and got some input instead of waiting.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up buying it and already put 3 hours into it. It's pretty fantastic. Feels just as good but definitly a deeper experience with a much stronger 'metroidvania' feel to it. Glad I posted and got some input instead of waiting.
Hope you enjoy. Such a satisfying experience.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I just hit that point
where Dot goes into Vectron, or whatever, and it's dark and filled with blue sparks and robots
Such a stark change in tone and scale. Felt really, really good. And the
jetpack is a good addition
. Such a lovely game.
Got this on the switch last week and this is exactly where I am as of last night. This game has been so great and as someone mentioned, the pacing is absolutely perfect. I thought I'd get tired of the constant digging and warping back to sell but it's actually pretty fun.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
So I have been eyeing this game for a while because I read a couple of descriptions that said it was like a Metroidvania with crafting. I was playing Stardew at the time.

Is this game like this? Can someone give me like a brief overview of what it is like to play the game? Are there a lot of power ups? Is the mining fun and serves a purpose other than getting stuff for currency and selling?

Edit: Never played the first one. Do I need to? I was planning on doing it on the Switch ads I wanted a handheld game.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So I have been eyeing this game for a while because I read a couple of descriptions that said it was like a Metroidvania with crafting. I was playing Stardew at the time.

Is this game like this? Can someone give me like a brief overview of what it is like to play the game? Are there a lot of power ups? Is the mining fun and serves a purpose other than getting stuff for currency and selling?

The game is about digging, exploring, upgrading, platforming, bosses, puzzles, etc.

The main gameplay loop is dig-sell-upgrade and the gameplay loop is really tight. There are a large number of things to upgrade to, and you can transfer the upgrade cogs to the things you need most. There are 2 different teleport systems, one "fixed" and one more flexible through upgrades.

Along the way in the underground you'll upgrade to new powers in a metroidvania style. But don't expect a pure metroidvania, because this is a game of its own.

The mining is about exploring, more than selling IMO.

Edit: Never played the first one. Do I need to? I was planning on doing it on the Switch ads I wanted a handheld game.

No, the protagonist in 2 looks for the protagonist from the first game. That's all you need to know. I would skip the first game, since 2 is so much better in every way. As I wrote in a reply above. The 1st game is fun, the 2nd is a masterpiece.

If you play it handheld, make sure to use earphones to hear the brilliant music/sound design.

Last edited:

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Thanks for the reply!

You really sold me on that loop. I'll definetly buy and I'll try to pop back with my impressions.

Oct 25, 2017
The overworld music, specifically at the hub.

I know that tune from somewhere. Is it a cover or remix of a song? Like, it's getting me every time. I know I've heard it before.

Jswanko

Oct 26, 2017
First Steamworld anything for me and I loved it (on Switch). If someone is on the fence, dont be!

Jswanko

Oct 26, 2017
The overworld music, specifically at the hub.

I know that tune from somewhere. Is it a cover or remix of a song? Like, it's getting me every time. I know I've heard it before.

I know what you mean and I couldn't place it either. I read one review that thought it was very similar to Ooh Child (Things are Gonna Get Easier), but I only kind of hear that. Personally I think it sounds a lot like Souls of Mischief - Step to my Girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBmr_b-Rpg

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Bought it and currently playing it. Loving ir so far.

It's the kind of handheld game I love. Enough exploration, upgrades and fun.

Nov 1, 2017
USPS goofed on my Xenoblade 2 order so I picked this up to take my mind off of it. Great decision.
I was hesitant at first since I wasn't a fan of the first game but wow, what an upgrade. I kinda want to pick up Heist now.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I loved that game. I swear there is a piece of music in Steam World 2 that sounds just like D2s Tristram music.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
No, the protagonist in 2 looks for the protagonist from the first game. That's all you need to know. I would skip the first game, since 2 is so much better in every way. As I wrote in a reply above. The 1st game is fun, the 2nd is a masterpiece.

If you play it handheld, make sure to use earphones to hear the brilliant music/sound design.

I actually feel like the first game felt a bit more unique since it felt the digging was a bigger part of it, SD2 is good but it's also a lot more 'standard' Metroidvania. You dig like 3 tiles and then you hit the next predesigned area.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I just beat it and I loved it. I am a bit bummed out that there isn't more of a ng+ and that resources don't fill in again in some way. Doing the Leaky Cauldron thing is ok but not a lot of fun when the main draw was the mining for me.

Other than that I really loved it. It was one of those few/rare games where I wanted to get most of the upgrades. I kept me busy for like a weekend and I still plan to 100% it but the end game bums me out because I enjoyed the normal playthrough so much.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Popetita Do like I did and start a new game. A replay holds up really well. That gameplay loop is really satisfying. Think I just might beat it again over my time off the end of this month.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the theme music when you go back to town. So chill. This game is a little outside of my wheelhouse, but I really like it.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the ending of Steamworld Dig 2, I think this icon of Steamworld Heist for Switch shows a bit more about that ending:

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm currently playing and enjoying this, but I wish it was a little bit shorter. Feels like it is at least twice the size of the first game, which was perfect in that regard.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing and enjoying this, but I wish it was a little bit shorter. Feels like it is at least twice the size of the first game, which was perfect in that regard.

Yes, it's about twice as long, unless you go for 100%. Have you reached the mid-point of the game yet? Because after that, you get an ability that totally changes the approach to how the game is played.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, it's about twice as long, unless you go for 100%. Have you reached the mid-point of the game yet? Because after that, you get an ability that totally changes the approach to how the game is played.
I think so, about 8½ hours of playtime and I appear to have unlocked all of the major skills (not fully upgraded). Not only digging vertically but trying to gather nearly all minerals I see on the map. Haven't check-marked all caves though.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Done with SD2 now. A very good game indeed. Adorable characters, good controls and fun gameplay. Only a bit too long as I said above. It will make my top-5 for 2017.

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, I had so much fun. The progression in your abilities is super nice! Love this game more than the first one, which I also liked a bunch.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I loved the first one and played through it multiple times. Having a hard time getting into the second though, think I should stick with it? I've restarted it twice now and for some reason it is just not clicking.

Juturna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this, pretty excited after reading everyone's impressions

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first one and played through it multiple times. Having a hard time getting into the second though, think I should stick with it? I've restarted it twice now and for some reason it is just not clicking.

Why do you restart it?

Keep in mind that Dig 1 and Dig 2 are very different. Dig 2 is a completely designed metroidvania platformer adventure that you dig yourself through, while Dig 1 was a randomly generated underworld with stuff. Sort of.

Are you using the location arrows on where your mission goal is?

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Part of the issue is I can't play the second game on my 3ds, which is where I played the first one. Stupid excuse especially since I never leave my house with the 3ds so its not like portability is a factor. I think I liked the randomness of the first one, and I am also terrible at any game you can even think of attaching the metroidvania name to.

Not sure if I've been using the location arrows, sadly I'm not even sure I made it that far. I'll probably give it another go tomorrow. I see the game getting so much praise, gotta at least give it a fair go.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have to admit it isn't really clicking with me either. Of the two games I've got 'on the go' Enter the Gungeon is dominating my spare time.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nearing the end of the game now. One of my favorites this year. For Switch owners it's on sale this week. Highly recommend that version. It's polished to a sheen.

Last edited:

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
So I really enjoyed the first one and I am 3-4 hours into this entry. I am liking it so far but I expected something really outstanding based on some of the reviews and impressions. I don't want to sound negative but so far it just feels very similar to the first one (which is not a bad thing!). Does something happen later on that really elevates the game?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So I really enjoyed the first one and I am 3-4 hours into this entry. I am liking it so far but I expected something really outstanding based on some of the reviews and impressions. I don't want to sound negative but so far it just feels very similar to the first one (which is not a bad thing!). Does something happen later on that really elevates the game?

If you are at a point where the game still feels like the Dig 1, the answer is "yes".

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Played this a bunch on the flight home from holiday travels. It's pretty fun, I like the gameplay loop of digging and upgrading. The relative scarcity of minerals kinda worries me though, is there enough money to upgrade everything or should I be really choosy with my spending?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Played this a bunch on the flight home from holiday travels. It's pretty fun, I like the gameplay loop of digging and upgrading. The relative scarcity of minerals kinda worries me though, is there enough money to upgrade everything or should I be really choosy with my spending?

There's enough resources even if you die a lot. I unlocked everything without any problem, and I died quite a few times. Also, please keep in mind that you can move cogs between the upgrade items you need.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 was way better to me for some reason even though 2 is clearly better maybe.

I was a bit underwhelmed when the credits rolled. That ending is not good.

Aigato

Oct 30, 2017
Manchester, UK
Really need to get back to this one!. Was loving it, then Blaster Master Zero & Mighty Gunvolt Burst came back into my life!.

Seriously impressed with Dig 2 though, been following them since Dig 1 through my site and it's been fantastic to see how they have grown

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I love the ending because of what it indicates for a future Dig game:
There won't be a limit to what kind of world or worlds are next. It can be a whole new aesthetic or be multiple worlds you dig into. I expect many new gameplay elements as well.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm going on a trip soon and will be buying this game specifically for the airplane waiting times and flight. Wish me luck ERA, you made me buy this game.