• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Happy for them. Game is stellar . Bought it alongside Golf Story & Picross. The eShop store offering so far is pretty good. Wish they would just get better sales.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I bought it (and Golf Story/Stardew). great game, Nintendo-like polish and gameplay.

Matchew

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is the place to put your game on currently, Steam is currently too crowded for any game to stand out on its own.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is the place to put your game on currently, Steam is currently too crowded for any game to stand out on its own.

Ding ding ding.

Jim's last few videos have been on point calling this out. Steam is a mess, has been for a long time but it's finally catching up.

Grats to the studio, games great.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats to the team. It's great to see another platform where indie games can thrive.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive. 10 times as much sales is a very significant sign that Switch is a healthy platform for indies. I hope it doesnt get as crowded and is curated by Nintendo.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing what a mess Steam is nowadays on the Jimquisition yesterday, I can't say I'm surprised.

Really good to hear that talented devs are finding success on other systems at least. And this will certainly turn some more heads, meaning more indie games on the system in the future.

Do you hear that Vlambeer? Now where is my Nuclear throne port!? D;

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
Steam has become like any mobile app store. It is so full of shit that you have to work when using it.

If you go to the eshop, they have their own issues but at least some of the better games have actual visibility.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The game is a masterpiece, it should have sold more on Steam. Really good sales figures on Switch.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit

well deserved but man, those steam users are dropping the ball! it's one of the best games to release in 2017 which is saying a lot. go buy it! steam really is a mess right now

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder how well the regular top selling games on the eShop games are selling. I can see Minecraft being near 2m for example, it has always been on the high side of the chart since release.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ding ding ding.

Jim's last few videos have been on point calling this out. Steam is a mess, has been for a long time but it's finally catching up.
I don't agree with Jim's videos, it's not because of the trash games that the visibility of these games suffer, but the huge amount of good games coming out, be it AAA, indie, or in-between.
The days of devs dumping a game on Steam without any fanfare and being successful are over really, if devs want their games to be successful on Steam, they have to get the word out. Though Valve also needs to do something about this, there needs to be improvements to discovery of (good) newly released games. Hopefully the curators update this fall and the Steam client redesign...someday... will help.

On another note, it's good that indie developers are getting successful releases on Switch, but this doesn't apply to everyone. Nintendo is probably not gonna accept many good indie games, and if so, the Switch is not the platform for all indies, just for the more eye catching successful ones.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved one of the best games 2017.

Now we need a retail Steamworld Dig Collection to release next year including all games.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure whether to pick this and Battle Chef Brigade or Xenoblade for next month. Or Nier.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ding ding ding.

Grats to the studio, games great.
This is false. The issue isn't the dumb crap Jim complains about. It's not the bad games that are the issue, it's that Steam has too many good games coming out at the same time. You can't solve that with any of the idiotic solutions Jim proposes.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Love the hybrid ease and convenience of Switch. It's a game changer. If any game comes out and says there will be a Switch version, I flat out will not buy it on any other platform, even if its a delayed port. indies are just so good on this thing. We need the rest of the steamworld games ported over to switch especially heist.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Got the switch version as perfect console for it, and game was great so well deserved

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
How long is this game? I've been meaning to get it.

It's around 10-15 hours if you 100% it (which I would recommend, since it adds a lot of quality gameplay of different kinds).

It's a game that looks brilliant on both docked and handheld on the Switch, BTW. No sub-native resolution and solid 60 fps.

Fantastic game...

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is false. The issue isn't the dumb crap Jim complains about. It's not the bad games that are the issue, it's that Steam has too many good games coming out at the same time. You can't solve that with any of the idiotic solutions Jim proposes.

I didn't endorse any of Jim's solutions. I actually have my own opinions on the matter.

Can you provide sources for your claims via PM ? I'd like to continue this conversation but I don't want to derail the thread.

Matchew

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Marketing is up to the developers and publishers, not Steam.

That's why I said on its own. Still proves my point. The switch version had no marketing also and still did better on the Switch because there isn't a million games on the service.

Steam is a mess and they need to do something about it.

Jakub

Nov 21, 2017
It's not surprising, but I'm happy that indie developers found a great profitable home on Nintendo Switch.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The versatility for the console really makes certain game much better to own on it rather than Steam. I chose to get Battle Chef on Switch instead of Steam

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I recall they said they had to do a double take with their day 1 numbers thinking it was a mistake.

And the game has been off the top charts for a while. I can only imagine how well Stardew is doing, or those other physical releases that charted. Skyrim was #3 in Canada. Other digital only like Overcooked, Minecraft, Cat's Quest been on the charts for a while. Rocket Leage is #1

NBA2k18, Fifa LA Noir, Doom all charted

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said on its own. Still proves my point. The switch version had no marketing also and still did better on the Switch because there isn't a million games on the service.

Steam is a mess and they need to do something about it.

well it was featured during both Nindie showcases, that definitely helped it sell on Switch

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam is too crowded. Going back to a more curated environment with fewer games on the Switch is what Steam used to be before Valve opened the floodgates. More good games would succeed if Valve would turn off the faucet again and stop drowning out all the games in a flood of garbage on their marketplace.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
That is great. Nintendo really needs to update the eshop layout though. I went to buy Steamworld on Switch a couple days ago and none of the left pane categories had it listed. The only way I could figure out how to get to its page was searching by name.