• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say start with Dig1 if you can. Should be cheap and takes like 4-5 hours. Then Dig2 is just bigger and better in every way IMO. Then Heist is also fantastic and I usually dislike strategy games. Just bought Quest and will jump into it after Bloodstained but I'm sure it'll be fantastic

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Probably Dig 2, which I'm assuming is a continuation of the first game. Haven't played Quest but Heist is very very different (the first Dig game takes place within a single mine, Heist is in space, new characters, etc.).

I'm not even sure how much lore the games share. Seems like an anthology series from my experience.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played quest yet, but if you are thinking about order for lore or plot reasons I wouldn't bother. Both dig 2 and heist are great, can't go wrong. I played dig 2 first if that means anything.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
If you have no genre preference then you should play in release order.

Edit: Actually if you are gonna skip Dig 1 then you should probably start with Dig 2 since those seem like the "main" games in the series.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just realized there's no longer an easy way to play SteamWorld Tower Defense. Or is the DS shop still active?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Dig 2 is what did it for me. Incredible game. Didn't really like the first one at all but after beating the second one it's inspired me to pick it up. Heist is also amazing but it's a completely different game. Go with the gameplay you're interested in.
Heard mixed things about quest so haven't tried that one just yet.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about Steamworld Dig 1? If you ever plan to play it, then I would start with this one. SWD 2 is improved in almost every aspect so I guess it would be hard to play 1st one after beating the 2nd game.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Dig 1 -> Dig2 -> Heist -> Quest

I didn't liked Quest as much as the others and it's also the most expensive one.
Dig1 and Heist are my favorites

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Just play Quest. The others are unnecessary.

giphy.gif

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Dig 2 is a wonderful game. I've never even played Dig 1, and I don't feel as though I missed anything.

Quest seems quite divisive, but all my friends love Heist.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Started with Dig 1 on the Vita and loved it. Bought Heist on the Switch and it's a slow burner for me but I'm liking it quite a bit. Will move on to Dig2 after I'll finish with Heist

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with release order (so Dig 1 first), as their contributions to the wider lore all add up. It's a fantastic body of work.

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019
You don't really need to play them in any particular order. AFAIK, the only ones sharing a storyline are Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 and it's definitely better to play 1 before 2, because... well, 2 is just better in every way and does spoil 1 slightly.

Other than that, these are completely seperate games with completely different mechanics, so just play those which you find most appealing to you in that regard.

I, like most other people in this thread, had most enjoyment with Dig2, then Heist.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Definitely Dig 1 then Dig 2. Like others have said, Dig 1 is short but sweet (and cheap), then Dig 2 improves the whole formula per-say.

Heist is okay, but hasn't quite hooked me like Dig. And I haven't tried Quest, though heard it's good.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I've liked is Steamworld Dig 2. Unfortunately the others didn't click for me, though maybe I'll give them another shot some day.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I started with Dig 2, then went to Dig 1, Heist, Quest.

Best intro to the lore is for sure Dig duology. You can play Dig 1 first if you like since it is short, but doesn't necessarily give the best impression of the quality of Steamworld Games as the rest are of such a higher quality. You can absolutely start with Dig 2 if you like.

There isn't a whole lot of connection between games outside of Dig1+2 but you should at least play those before Heist for maximum lore appreciation.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'd play Dig 1 first because it's still great, then insert one or two of the other games to have some space before Dig 2. Basically they're all great, so don't sleep on Dig 1. Playing them in the order they were released might be good.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heist is the best game, bar none imo, so if you aren't concerned with lore, start there.

I found quest really disappointing, especially when slay the spire is a thing, and dig just frustrating, but heist is great, hopefully they will do another.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I literally just went through all of these. I'd say Dig2, Heist, Quest. I absolutely love the Steamworld franchise now after having no interest in it even two months ago. They're 3 completely different games and each is terrific.