• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Who is going to get this? The game looks like a ton of fun and reminds me of Slay the Spire.

The Character design and animations all look great.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for reviews just in case, but there's a 95% chance i pick this up on Friday. I've been waiting for Slay the Spire to hit Switch since before this was even announced, and shitty luck for them, this will fit the bill nicely.

Skyw3rd

Oct 30, 2017
Day 1 for me. I've recently completed Dig, Dig 2 and Heist. Great games, each of them.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
MORE CHARACTERS!

I hope it has other things to do besides battles, but damn this is day 1 absolutely.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
What's the gameplay like? Is it just battles and dialogue/cutscenes, or is there dungeon exploration, towns etc.?

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Liked Dig, loved Heist and Dig 2 is in my top10 of this generation.

I will have to hard pass on this one though, I hate card deck games. :(

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting to see if the deckbuilding really opens up after the beginning. The three character deck system seems a bit limiting in terms of its potential complexity so far.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited. Not sure if I'll get it day 1, since Dragon's Dogma is coming out before it (and I'm still in the midst of the turn-based FFX), but will definitely grab it in the next month.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers this Wednesday, then Steamworld Quest the following day and finishing with BoxBoy Friday, this will be a good week.

Oct 25, 2017
1st steamworld game I will probably skip. Not interested in a story light card battler at all.
Nothing about it seems "story light"
What element of Quest do you think players will find the most surprising?
The abilities and traits of all the characters in SteamWorld Quest are truly surprising. The cast of Dig 1, Dig 2 and Heist are all pretty simpleminded and, well, showcase just the most basic of robotic needs and urges... such as mining and shooting off hats. From what little we've shared so far about Quest there's already a lot of speculation online as to why the robots are talking about, say, food and alchemy; it ought to be utterly useless to them. But as I just mentioned, with Quest we set the stage for some really spectacular SteamWorld mythology.
Being the studio head I'd like to talk up the various elements of the game as well, but it's somewhat less surprising that the music, the art, the dialogue and the game systems are magnificent, as we like to polish things for very long stretches of time. However, I'm confident that players will yet again be surprised by the magic, fun and value we're giving them for their money.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...taking_a_risk_with_steamworld_quest_on_switch

This is very clearly a more story driven game than previous Steamworld titles. Gaps between battles are filled with as much talking as they are secret hunting and chest opening (...)

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sold on a card based game but Image & Form has yet to let me down. Unless the reviews are uncharacteristically bad, I'm in Day 1.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

I guess I don't count characters standing around chattering as good story. The 'deep lore' of Steamworld isn't intriguing to me. A good RPG story should be filled with animated major set piece moments and a wide variety of activities. If the story is delivered by chat, it's an instant turn off for me. Game developers are notoriously terrible writers.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really conflicted about this. I will get it to support the studio because I think Image & Form are amazing, but I'm not a fan of the genres they've branched the Steam World franchise into thus far. Well, I wasn't a tower defense guy either, to be fair, but I don't like turn-based strategy or card battlers. I'm sure they're great games but they're genres that are simply not for me.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Maybe tied with Mario Maker, still the best gaming announcement of the year.

Holy shit, a 3rd steamworld franchise (a third, don't start me with that one lol) is as good as it gets.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the gameplay like? Is it just battles and dialogue/cutscenes, or is there dungeon exploration, towns etc.?
I hope it has other things to do besides battles, but damn this is day 1 absolutely.
IGN compared it to Paper Mario:

There's exploring for secrets and talking to NPCs.

I guess I don't count characters standing around chattering as good story. The 'deep lore' of Steamworld isn't intriguing to me. A good RPG story should be filled with animated major set piece moments and a wide variety of activities. If the story is delivered by chat, it's an instant turn off for me. Game developers are notoriously terrible writers.
Not sure what you are expecting then. It's not like the previous Steamworld games were full of cutscenes without chattering or deep environmental storytelling. Even less sure why you want heavy story games if you think games usually have bad writing, but you do you.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Dig was good and Heist was great, so i'm looking forward to this. I&F have been able to seamlessly delve into multiple genres so far with style.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
IGN compared it to Paper Mario:

There's exploring for secrets and talking to NPCs.

Not sure what you are expecting then. It's not like the previous Steamworld games were full of cutscenes without chattering or deep environmental storytelling. Even less sure why you want heavy story games if you think games usually have bad writing, but you do you.

Oh, that's good. I'll probably get it then.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Steamworld games but I hate card battlers..

c5007_the_thinker-300x300.png

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1. Steamworld + Cards + Turn based RPG + beautiful artstyle = 100% my kind of game.

Also liked that bit of Sword Magic, channeling Steiner and Vivi there. ;)

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly has the I&F quality and charm, just like all their games, but this one is like Heist for me, i know I won't like it. Not a fan of turn based combat. Eagerly awaiting for Dig 3. Hope this one is a hit by Image & Form, they deserve all the praise.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got $40 eShop credit. Fell in love with Heist 2. Not huge on deck building/card combat games, but it looks really interesting.