• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I LOVE the Steamworld series, not a fan of the card gimmick, IGN said you NEED the effect that comes from using 3 matching abilities, that sounds like too much of an opportunity to get screwed by the RNG less than screwed by bad strategy.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE the Steamworld series, not a fan of the card gimmick, IGN said you NEED the effect that comes from using 3 matching abilities, that sounds like too much of an opportunity to get screwed by the RNG less than screwed by bad strategy.

On the AMA, they said:
We have spaced out all the cards at fitting locations. There is no chance involved. Some are almost impossible to miss while some are a bit harder to find in hidden chests, etc.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
My slay the spire obsession is real this year. Pending reviews I'm there for this one. Previews seem glowing so I'm not too worried.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
very likely day 1, just waiting on reviews to confirm the length (devs said 20-25 hours) and overall card mechanic complexity.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a STACKED week for me:

Avengers Endgame on Wednesday
SteamWorld Quest on Thursday
Days Gone on Friday

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Steamworld, for me, has so far been sort of a playground for genres I'm not 100% in on. I wasn't quite sure I was all that into Metroid-style ability-gating exploration games, but Dig 2 (and Knytt Underground) cemented that I really actually like them a lot. I'm playing Heist now, even though I usually don't like squad-oriented, turn-based strategy, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it! I'll probably pick up Quest at some point, as it will probably give me insights into why people like card RPGs, as Heist has given me insights into its kind of game, even though I'm fairly certain that I won't be super into the style afterward.

...so is the Tower Defense game good? I'm pretty light on that genre as well and could do with a taste of it.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Steamworld, for me, has so far been sort of a playground for genres I'm not 100% in on. I wasn't quite sure I was all that into Metroid-style ability-gating exploration games, but Dig 2 (and Knytt Underground) cemented that I really actually like them a lot. I'm playing Heist now, even though I usually don't like squad-oriented, turn-based strategy, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it! I'll probably pick up Quest at some point, as it will probably give me insights into why people like card RPGs, as Heist has given me insights into its kind of game, even though I'm fairly certain that I won't be super into the style afterward.

...so is the Tower Defense game good? I'm pretty light on that genre as well and could do with a taste of it.
Never played it and I'm not really a fan of tower defense games. My friend is though.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This game I feel gives me a Slay the Spire itch I want on my Switch. While being in the SW universe.Gonna pick this up. As I enjoyed all their other SW games.

Especially since Slay the Spire still seems a bit away...

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they were also inspired by Baiten Kaitos as well. This was likely in development before Slay the Spire was shown.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know if there is a world map? Is it split up into discrete areas that you travel to from a world map?

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the timeline this game has to take place after Heist. Some robots found a planet to live on. It so happened to have magic.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the timeline this game has to take place after Heist. Some robots found a planet to live on. It so happened to have magic.
Yeah but the trailer hints otherwise?. There's a few names in the book that you can see for a quick second (Dot's is the one i can clearly make out) and also the hook hand could be Gabriel's

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan of the series but the idea of a turn-based battle system with cards is the last thing I'm looking for in these games, so unless the reviews are insanely good I'm probably skipping this one.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
MK at 60 fps and now this. Nice.

Sure its easier to make that framerate but its still awesome.

Gives me battlechaser nighttwar vibes in terms of look, color & animation and loved that game too

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate card games. :(

giphy.gif

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Huh, they broke the embargo an hour early. 4pm GMT which is 5pm BST here in the UK. 5 minutes to go anyway :)

Edit -

My review just went live here - https://gaminglyf.com/reviews/2019-04-23-steamworld-quest-review-hearthstone-meets-final-fantasy/

I gave it 4/5. Really enjoyed my time with the game, took me roughly 12hrs 20 minutes to complete for those interested. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Image & Form's 20-25 hour estimate was way off. Most reviewers finished it in around a dozen hours. I'm personally fine with that length. I actually appreciate shorter RPGs..

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Image & Form's 20-25 hour estimate was way off. Most reviewers finished it in around a dozen hours. I'm personally fine with that length. I actually appreciate shorter RPGs..

Yeah 12 hours for $25 is a pretty good value, can't really complain there but the difference in actual playtime versus what they said is interesting lol

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shorter length makes me more willing to buy it actually, since even if card games aren't my thing, I know SteamWorld games have their special charm. I'll wait for a sale, though.