• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
8YAjmtqehdltOfnpNus7rxFe.jpg

Steelrising is the new game by Spiders (Greedfall, The Technomancer) is a Soul-like set in an alternate history version of the French Revolution.

Developer: Spiders
Publisher: Nacon
Release date: September 8th, 2022
Platforms: PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S/X
Genre: Action, Souls-like
Price: $49.99
Size: 66GB (PC)
Length: 15-30 hours

Does this have difficulty settings? YES!

The city burns and bleeds as it suffers the madness of King Louis XVI and his violent legions of automatons. Aegis, a mechanical masterpiece created by the engineer Vaucanson to be the queen's bodyguard, must save the French Revolution in this challenging action-RPG.

Up against the king's mechanical soldiers, deadly accuracy will be needed. String together dodges, parries, jumps and devastating attacks to fight your way through Paris. Every fight will test your nerve and requires excellent discipline, while the huge relentless machine bosses demand patience and skill.

Define your own style and upgrade your abilities as you progress through the game. You can play as a ruthless warrior, a hard-hitting bodyguard, a deadly dancer or a virtuoso of the elemental arts. Take advantage of a wide variety of weapons and skills to approach each fight in your own unique way.

615x240_Combat___boss_V1.gif

615x240_Aegis_02.gif

615x240_Paris_mouvement_V4.gif

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds fair so far.

I've played it during a playtest and had fun with it. A 7/10 rating hits the nail on the head.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Didn't know it is Souls-like. Now I'm disappointed. I was hoping for something more story focused. I thought their last game was like Mass Effect?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Didn't know it is Souls-like. Now I'm disappointed. I was hoping for something more story focused. I thought their last game was like Mass Effect?

This seems to be more story-focused than your typical Soulslike. There are dialogue options and stuff. But gameplay wise, yeah, very Soulslike with shortcuts and all that jazz

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
It's funny because the gameplay in Spider games has always been average at best. Seeing them making a game so focus on gameplay is weird but honestly I am looking forward to play it

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I expected it to review slightly better than Thymesia so this is cool.Thymesia was pretty good, but I'm still craving more Soulslike goodness. Gonna pick this up Friday.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
It's funny because the gameplay in Spider games has always been average at best. Seeing them making a game so focus on gameplay is weird but honestly I am looking forward to play it

Well, when you put it like that, since Greedfall 2 is their next big project, perhaps they're also using this game as a testing ground for it in order to make gameplay improvements in the future.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
The reviews are more or less what I expected, but I have seen that it is quite buggy. I will probably buy it tomorrow, but maybe I will wait a couple of weeks for a patch.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely wishlist this on steam. Seems decent enough for times when there is nothing coming out.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
"Spiders" and "souls-like" are a weird combo, hoping the best to them, but to me, this is pretty much a subscription game.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
What the hell, it feels like it's been a while since I last heard about this and now it's suddenly coming out. I'm somewhat interested based on the impressions but I can easily wait on a sale.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this but it looks cool! Gonna add it to my wishlist.

I'm pretty much wrapping up Thymesia and absolutely loved it. Need more!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
It's the kind of AA gaming I love. Greedfall was great and I expect this to be just as good at least.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Character animation looks janky as fuck, same as Greedfall, which is an instant turnoff for me.

Maroon Cat

Jul 9, 2022
I think the genre was a solid choice as Soulslikes are perfect at allowing devs to prioritize and polish aspects that are more budget and resource friendly than something like the BioWare-lite games they had worked on before. I suspect problems came from trying to incorporate other resource-heavy features into this style, such being more narrative-driven with cutscenes, dialogue options, etc. What was a simple and holistic framework became complex and expensive.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think taking down points for it being a souls-like with no major differences is a bit tired. But oh well, since that's exactly what I crave for I guess it's a certain get for me.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Sounds like a Spiders game alright.

After I cancelled my pre-order for Saints Row I'm gonna try this one out for sure. Greedfall was a great little game and I really, really like the Steelrising setting.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Game is releasing in a bad spot for me but I'll definitely check it out ASAP!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It disappoints me a little that this even is a souls like. The setting and the main character seem so interesting I wouldn't have minded another rpg. I think I'll eventually check this out down the line

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I imagined that would be the case, kinda hoped for an "8" experience.

I'm 100% sure they're more than capable in delivering a 8 or a 9/10 experience. Publishers need to give them more money, time and manpower.

It's a shame these underfunded developers can't spread their wings.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
never played a Spiders game, though i have Greedfall in the backlog

on appearance this doesn't do anything for me but if Greedfall is good i'll check it out

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I really appreciate how Spiders always comes up with settings that are underused. Pirate/colonies and now alternate history and robots in the French Revolution. Just so cool. Enjoyed Greedfall outside of the repetitive enemies and samey interiors. Looking forward as to how they improved their gameplay mechanics.

Could be the most interesting Soulslike since The Surge 2.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Some good stuff. Always have a soft spot for Spider's stuff.

I am wary of the souls like stuff. Lot of games like that just take it mean "needlessly difficult" But it is fairly cheap on PC so I am more than happy to give it a try (then dive in with cheats later)