• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh if we're counting Phoenix Wright as a VN then I suppose that would be my first VN, not 999. And yeah it's a great entry point and fantastic series. I still think you should play 999 though :P

SG is very much invested in the otaku and internet culture and has a cast that is extremely grating at the start of the game, who actively put me off 2 attempts to play it. I finished it eventually and liked it overall, but it's very slow and annoying.
I saw half the anime and had to stop as I couldn't stand the characters. Shame as it was a good story and premise.

I'll probably retry it once the Elite version comes out. Maybe the VN gives the characters some more depth.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I don't care what anyone says, I just wanted to mention Root Letter. I love it, it's short and really resonate with me.

I'd definitely recommend 999 the most of those. DS version ideally.

I'd also like to put in a very hearty recommendation for The House in Fata Morgana - while it's difficult to talk about or even describe in any kind of detail without spoiling things, about the best way I can put it is that it's a dark, eerie, mysterious, twisted, ugly, yet beautiful exploration of the human condition. It's one of the best stories I've experienced in any medium, and I really can't recommend it any more highly. It's a pure visual novel - no puzzles or anything of that nature. It does have a sizable demo as well, so give it a try.

Thank you. Both games, judging from the synopsis on Steam, sound tempting. I might give them a look down the road.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great entry point imo. I'd recommend the DS version. If not possible, be sure to play the full narrative mode.

Nah the Nonary Games version of 999 is the definitive version no contest, HD Art, a full dub, a flow chart! There is no point in playing the inferior DS version in this day and age, the minor 2 screen gimmick is not worth to loose all that and it's handled pretty well in the remake imho.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished Danganronpa, and I would suggest 999 as a better start. Better gameplay is usually a nice bridge and I think 999 has some cool puzzles, whereas Danganronpa is pretty obtuse/simple.

And yes as many have suggested, Ace Attorney is even better if you have a 3DS/DS.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I saw half the anime and had to stop as I couldn't stand the characters. Shame as it was a good story and premise.

I'll probably retry it once the Elite version comes out. Maybe the VN gives the characters some more depth.

Heads up, Elite is literally the anime plastered on top of the VN. Same visuals, same scenes, etc. If the anime turned you off, get regular Steins;Gate on PC/Vita/PS3 instead.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I thought it had animation from the anime series but the original VN script? I might be wrong. I didn't mind the art.

Nope, that was a major complaint about it. Some alternate routes are animated, but otherwise... it's just the anime. The real reason to get it is for the side stories on PC/PS4 or the 8bit mode on Switch.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Danganranpa and Zero Escape are not gateway to VN at all, and Steins;Gate will turn people away from the genre with the tropes and extremely slow start.

My first VN was Phantom of Inferno. It's a highly entertaining, fast paced VN about NY mafia, and I got hooked immediately. It was the perfect gateway for me.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to ease into story heavy games and coming from getting used to gameplay/interactive experiences, Danganronpa is a good entry point because it's the most gameplay heavy out of those 3, and probably the most interactive in my opinion. The story is not as deep as Zero Escape but it's fun and c r a z y.

After going through that, I'd recommend now Zero Escape since its overall story is pretty good, but is less interactive than Danganronpa. If you're looking into a deeper story and skipping out heavy gameplay/interactive, you can start with this.

Honestly I got bored with Steins;gate, but I'd put this in the last priority. If you like almost no gameplay/interactivity options, then you can go for this. I also found this game probably the tropey-iest among the 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not Zero Escape. It's a puzzle game first and foremost. Its identity is so disconnected from the visual novel genre that it dropped the VN presentation in for the third game entirely.

Danganronpa is closer to the genre. More than Zero Escape 1 and 2, it is half visual novel and half what I think most accurately can be called a minigame collection half, with fewer cutting back and forth between the two like in Zero Escape. But it is still more structured around being a game than its narrative, and I think that makes it distinct if we consider it among the VN genre, to the point that it can operate as a gateway, but I have to wonder if the experience is not close enough to others.

And while Danganronpa is my favorite of three, I would reccomend Stein;Gate as a gateway. It is a visual novel through and through, and it has a slow-burn story that works extraordinarily well (if you skip/ignore the grating alternate endings along the way). You might hate some of the characters at the beginning, but they go through believable and what feels like genuine changes, almost like the writer never meant for them to get from point A to point B, but point B just naturally happened along the way. It's great. And also, even if one aspect of it falls apart at the end, I thought the time travel mechanics were really fascinating, and it's cool how you and the characters gradually discover how everything works and can be utilized.

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Steins;Gate is so (soooo) good. If you are into intelligent science fiction, you will enjoy it. It gathers pace very softly but once you get hooked the game just gets better and better. S;G was my very first visual novel and I think it is a great opportunity to jump into if you are unfamiliar with the genre. I spent 20-30 hours (100%, all endings) with it though, so it CAN be time-consuming.

I am currently playing 999 and on my way to Danganronpa games, however they are a bit different from S;G in terms of gameplay.

So yeah, to my mind Steins;Gate would be the best of these three to start with.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend the Zero Escape series, OP, starting with 999.

It was my introduction, and while I haven't really gone on to explore other VN games too much, I did indeed continue with the series, and it's easily one of the best puzzle games I've played (as well as having an excellent storyline, nearly all the way through). There are plenty of visual novels out there, and I'm sure a lot of them tell awesome stories, but 999 is a bit more "gamey" and, it's for that reason, that I'd recommend it as an entry-point. There's more to do, scour for, unlock, etc., and it leads into Virtues Last Reward which should be on anyone's "Best games of all time" list (assuming the list allows for puzzle games).

Such an awesome series, a great entry point to VN, and awesome puzzles and story that will keep you guessing and entirely engrossed as you go. You'll have equal parts gameplay and story to work with, and if you like the experience, more story-only focused VN games will be available to you.

Oct 25, 2017

It was my introduction, and while I haven't really gone on to explore other VN games too much, I did indeed continue with the series, and it's easily one of the best puzzle games I've played (as well as having an excellent storyline, nearly all the way through). There are plenty of visual novels out there, and I'm sure a lot of them tell awesome stories, but 999 is a bit more "gamey" and, it's for that reason, that I'd recommend it as an entry-point. There's more to do, scour for, unlock, etc., and it leads into Virtues Last Reward which should be on anyone's "Best games of all time" list (assuming the list allows for puzzle games).

Such an awesome series, a great entry point to VN, and awesome puzzles and story that will keep you guessing and entirely engrossed as you go. You'll have equal parts gameplay and story to work with, and if you like the experience, more story-only focused VN games will be available to you.
"while I haven't really gone on to explore other VN games too much"

Well damn dude, you should rest your case right there: Zero Escape is definitely NOT the game OP should be playing as a gateway.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
"while I haven't really gone on to explore other VN games too much"

Well damn dude, you should rest your case right there: Zero Escape is definitely NOT the game OP should be playing as a gateway.

Oh, man. He almost sold me on Zero Last Escape. Haha.

Definitely not Zero Escape. It's a puzzle game first and foremost. Its identity is so disconnected from the visual novel genre that it dropped the VN presentation in for the third game entirely.

Danganronpa is closer to the genre. More than Zero Escape 1 and 2, it is half visual novel and half what I think most accurately can be called a minigame collection half, with fewer cutting back and forth between the two like in Zero Escape. But it is still more structured around being a game than its narrative, and I think that makes it distinct if we consider it among the VN genre, to the point that it can operate as a gateway, but I have to wonder if the experience is not close enough to others.

And while Danganronpa is my favorite of three, I would reccomend Stein;Gate as a gateway. It is a visual novel through and through, and it has a slow-burn story that works extraordinarily well (if you skip/ignore the grating alternate endings along the way). You might hate some of the characters at the beginning, but they go through believable and what feels like genuine changes, almost like the writer never meant for them to get from point A to point B, but point B just naturally happened along the way. It's great. And also, even if one aspect of it falls apart at the end, I thought the time travel mechanics were really fascinating, and it's cool how you and the characters gradually discover how everything works and can be utilized.

Steins;Gate is so (soooo) good. If you are into intelligent science fiction, you will enjoy it. It gathers pace very softly but once you get hooked the game just gets better and better. S;G was my very first visual novel and I think it is a great opportunity to jump into if you are unfamiliar with the genre. I spent 20-30 hours (100%, all endings) with it though, so it CAN be time-consuming.

I am currently playing 999 and on my way to Danganronpa games, however they are a bit different from S;G in terms of gameplay.

So yeah, to my mind Steins;Gate would be the best of these three to start with.

Thank you, really. That was actually very insightful. I think I have a lot to think about.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If you don't have a DS/3DS for Ace Attorney I recommend Danganronpa.

I like 999 but it has a lot of puzzles, if you like it go ahead, I'm not a big fan.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Out of the three you mentioned, I'd rate them as Zero Escape > Danganronpa > Steins;Gate.

Zero Escape is the only one I'd say has an actually great story, even if it does drag a bit in places. That said, it is more of a puzzle game than a pure VN. Still, you'll do plenty of reading, and it is the best written one of the 3. It's also the one with the least amount of terrible anime tropes.

Dnaganronpa is okay if you're into murder mysteries games. But that's more because the genre is pretty limited in terms of games. The writing is fine, but not really great, but trying to solve murders is fun enough, and the murder mysteries are written decently enough.

Steins;Gate is my least favorite of the three. It has severe pacing problems, particularly in its very slow start and one particular plodding side ending. If you do pick this one, just be aware that it takes a while to get going. It also has a pretty terrible cast of characters filled with terrible anime tropes, as well as some very uncomfortable attempts at humor (sexual assault is never funny, no matter what a lot of anime seems to think. It's like, one short scene, but it still brings the game down). You also mentioned that you don't like "romance simulators", and S;G is at its core a romance VN above anything else (this is actually through for almost every pure VN I've read though. One way or another, they all focus on romance in the end). It's also a much longer game than the other two, at around 30 hours to get the real ending. Still, if you want an actual VN, this is the only one of the three. And it is one of the more well liked ones in genre with a ton of fans, so there's a decent chance you'll like it more than I do.

In terms of other VNs on Steam that I actually like, Umineko is pretty much the best VN ever made, and it seems like it has some of the elements you like (mysteries, time-loops). It's probably not quite what you're looking for here though, since it's very long (~80 hours). It also has literally no gameplay, not even choices, for the first 75 hours or so.

All that said, I don't really think VNs need a "gateway" game to get into them really. I mean, for the most part all you do in them is press enter to advance text. So just pick the one with the story you find interesting.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Out of the three you mentioned, I'd rate them as Zero Escape > Danganronpa > Steins;Gate.

Zero Escape is the only one I'd say has an actually great story, even if it does drag a bit in places. That said, it is more of a puzzle game than a pure VN. Still, you'll do plenty of reading, and it is the best written one of the 3. It's also the one with the least amount of terrible anime tropes.

Dnaganronpa is okay if you're into murder mysteries games. But that's more because the genre is pretty limited in terms of games. The writing is fine, but not really great, but trying to solve murders is fun enough, and the murder mysteries are written decently enough.

Steins;Gate is my least favorite of the three. It has severe pacing problems, particularly in its very slow start and one particular plodding side ending. If you do pick this one, just be aware that it takes a while to get going. It also has a pretty terrible cast of characters filled with terrible anime tropes, as well as some very uncomfortable attempts at humor (sexual assault is never funny, no matter what a lot of anime seems to think. It's like, one short scene, but it still brings the game down). You also mentioned that you don't like "romance simulators", and S;G is at its core a romance VN above anything else (this is actually through for almost every pure VN I've read though. One way or another, they all focus on romance in the end). It's also a much longer game than the other two, at around 30 hours to get the real ending. Still, if you want an actual VN, this is the only one of the three. And it is one of the more well liked ones in genre with a ton of fans, so there's a decent chance you'll like it more than I do.

In terms of other VNs on Steam that I actually like, Umineko is pretty much the best VN ever made, and it seems like it has some of the elements you like (mysteries, time-loops). It's probably not quite what you're looking for here though, since it's very long (~80 hours). It also has literally no gameplay, not even choices, for the first 75 hours or so.

All that said, I don't really think VNs need a "gateway" game to get into them really. I mean, for the most part all you do in them is press enter to advance text. So just pick the one with the story you find interesting.

Thank you. You make a lot of good points.

What I was referring to by saying I am not one for romance/dating simulators is games that revolve around you trying to seduce/date a girl, where the game has a number of girl characters and you try and be with someone. However, I didn't mean stories that have a romance element. I apologize, though, I should have been clearer.

I agree with you about the gateway thing. It is just that I wanted to see which one I'd find myself into the most from people's impressions.

Right now, I have zero familiarity with visual novels, so I am willing to give a series a proper try, whether it was purely navigating a story, or have gameplay/puzzle aspects.

Sadly, I don't have time to try the three of them, and I am kinda eager to play more visual novels in the future, so I was hoping I can get an encouraging first experience.

Thank you again for taking the time.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Wow - i'm so jealous that you're starting your VN journey with a fresh pair of eyes!

Of the games you've list, Steins;gate is the most 'pure' VN in that it literally has no gameplay. I'd recommend it be the last one you play to be honest, as there are better gateways into the genres.

Personally, I would start with 999 (preferably on the DS) and then move to the Phoenix Wright games (at least the first three). Moving towards the Danganronpa series after that makes sense.

I wouldn't recommend playing 999 and DR back-to-back, because some of the themes end up being a bit similar. That said, 999 is potentially the GOAT when it comes to visual novels, and I am jealous that you're about to experience it for the first time.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. You make a lot of good points.

What I was referring to by saying I am not one for romance/dating simulators is games that revolve around you trying to seduce/date a girl, where the game has a number of girl characters and you try and be with someone. However, I didn't mean stories that have a romance element. I apologize, though, I should have been clearer.

I agree with you about the gateway thing. It is just that I wanted to see which one I'd find myself into the most from people's impressions.

Right now, I have zero familiarity with visual novels, so I am willing to give a series a proper try, whether it was purely navigating a story, or have gameplay/puzzle aspects.

Sadly, I don't have time to try the three of them, and I am kinda eager to play more visual novels in the future, so I was hoping I can get an encouraging first experience.

Thank you again for taking the time.
Steins;Gate actually does almost get a little date simulator-y with how the alternate endings play out, but those can be ignored and it's hardly the focus anyway. But yes there is a big romance component to the story.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Steins;Gate actually does almost get a little date simulator-y with how the alternate endings play out, but those can be ignored and it's hardly the focus anyway. But yes there is a big romance component to the story.

That sounds well and good. I am not against romance components. I just dislike games about you seducing a girl from a bunch of girls (beach resorts and the likes)

I honesty don't know exactly what those are called if not dating simulators.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
A friend recommended Yosuga no Sora to me as my first VN.

It would appear that you have better friends than I did in this thread.

That sounds well and good. I am not against romance components. I just dislike games about you seducing a girl from a bunch of girls (beach resorts and the likes)

I honesty don't know exactly what those are called if not dating simulators.
Those are typically called harems.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why has Phoenix Wright not been mentioned

Word. Arguably a better "gateway" that 999, if not for the fact the whole zero escape series is on steam and PW isn't.

PW is a much more straightforward reading experience with a linear story to follow along and minor gameplay elements to keep the player somewhat engaged, whereas the multi-route and puzzle-solving aspect of 999 would be something that takes some getting used to, even if it does offer the more engaging gameplay experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
A friend recommended Yosuga no Sora to me as my first VN.

It would appear that you have better friends than I did in this thread.

Those are typically called harems.

Haha. Sounds like a less than optimal experience.

Thank you for the answer.

Wow - i'm so jealous that you're starting your VN journey with a fresh pair of eyes!

Of the games you've list, Steins;gate is the most 'pure' VN in that it literally has no gameplay. I'd recommend it be the last one you play to be honest, as there are better gateways into the genres.

Personally, I would start with 999 (preferably on the DS) and then move to the Phoenix Wright games (at least the first three). Moving towards the Danganronpa series after that makes sense.

I wouldn't recommend playing 999 and DR back-to-back, because some of the themes end up being a bit similar. That said, 999 is potentially the GOAT when it comes to visual novels, and I am jealous that you're about to experience it for the first time.

Thank you for your reply.

And, hey, you don't know, maybe some new game will come along and it will be so amazing and you will like it so much that it will feel like a first-time experience :D

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Word. Arguably a better "gateway" that 999, if not for the fact the whole zero escape series is on steam and PW isn't.

PW is a much more straightforward experience with a linear story to follow along, whereas the multi-route and puzzle-solving aspect of 999 would be something that takes some getting used to.

You know, I think I would have gone straight into Phoenix Wright if I could, but I don't own any of the systems on which the Phoenix Wright games are available.

In all seriousness, I have always been curious about how the trial mechanics play out in that series. Maybe I can watch some sort of playthrough on YouTube

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I would say I am a not-so-avid fan of anime. I've a watched a good chunk of anime series, mainly mainstream ones, but I am not very much into it.

Like I said, the story premise of all three games are stuff I think I am interested in (thriller and time travel).

Right, unquestionably Zero escape it is then. I won't be spoiling anything, but this sounds like an easy choice for you.

You know, I think I would have gone straight into Phoenix Wright if I could, but I don't own any of the systems on which Phoenix Wright are available.

In all seriousness, I have always been curious about how the trial mechanics play out in that series. Maybe I can watch some sort of playthrough on YouTube

If you have any iOS or android device, you can play the ace attorney series. I think the "Ace Attorney trilogy" includes the first two trials of the first game for free on both platforms, if you just want a feel for them. You might be able to play them on an android emulator if you prefer to go on PC, but I've not eve rused one so can't be any help there.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I want to say it would be Danganronpa because it has gameplay involved so it would be less of a text overload adventure for a newbie. Then 999 then Steins;Gate. All great games!

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Right, unquestionably Zero escape it is then. I won't be spoiling anything, but this sounds like an easy choice for you.

Actually, yeah. I am leaning towards Zero Escape from what I have gathered so far.

It is this or either Steins;Gate. Sounds it has a slow start, and I am not good with those, but the fact that it is a time-travel story (I really like those), and hailed as one of the best time-travel pieces of literature ever made is too good to pass on. Also, since I am willing to stick with whatever it is I end up playing from start to finish, I really want to see how a heavier form of visual novels are played.

I mean I don't mind that it is a pure visual novel since it is a first experience.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If you have an iOS device it's the best and easiest way to play the games now. Watching a playthrough kind of undermines half the enjoyment of playing PW because the trial mechanics you mention are usually logic puzzles (spot a lie in a testimony) or fact checks against the player's understanding of the case (present the correct evidence). Simple stuff, but it's gratifying to solve. The other half of the enjoyment you get are from the absolutely bonkers and hilarious stories in the game.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
If you have any iOS or android device, you can play the ace attorney series. I think the "Ace Attorney trilogy" includes the first two trials of the first game for free on both platforms, if you just want a feel for them. You might be able to play them on an android emulator if you prefer to go on PC, but I've not eve rused one so can't be any help there.

Well, thank you very much. Had no idea it is available on Android devices. Thought it is only on iOS for some reason.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ace Attorney is better than all of them and you can play it on your phone.

Ace Attorney is most comparable to Danganronpa, and I think it absolutely trashes it as far as "episodic murder mystery" goes. Better kills, better cases, better twists. Danganronpa stands out by having a large, consistent narrative and premise, but the actual quality of the writing drifts into the spotty and inconsistent in a way that Ace Attorney doesn't struggle with (save a few exceptions)

Edit: wow, i thought AA 1-3 were on android as well. It seems like it's only 4-6 and Edgeworth 1, which is..confusing and extremely disappointing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
You are right though, the first 3 games are only on iOS. Capcom never ported it to android for whatever reason. The "new" trilogy of 4,5,6 are on android though.

Yeah. the availability of those games is all over the place. Apparently, they also released the original trilogy on PC but only in Japan.

I made a mistake. They didn't release the original trilogy, only the newer ones as Chasing said. My bad.

Don't worry about it. I really appreciate your help, thanks :)

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah. the availability of those games is all over the place. Apparently, they also released the original trilogy on PC but only in Japan.
I think the original trilogy did release on Android but again only in Japan. The original AA trilogy would honestly be the absolute best place to start to get into VNs IMO.

Feb 15, 2018
999 was my entry point to the genre (if you don't include Hotel Dusk). It is comfortably in my top 10 games i have ever played, and probably in my top 3 memorable gaming experiences.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put Ace Attorney over all of these.

999 puts the novel in visual novel, so that might push a lot of people away if it's their first one.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
As I am having some time-off this week and wanting to play something that isn't too intense or time-consuming, I felt this the perfect opportunity to try out a type of games that I've never played before - visual novels.
Uhhhhhhhh I would care all three games you listed intense and/or time consuming. Steins;Gate and Danganronpa are both 20+ hours. 999 can be done in like 10-15 hours. But all of them are extremely intense games and hit pretty heavy themes. I feel bad after playing Zero Escape games because of the game's atmosphere. You need to be able to stomach a lot of violence and death, sometimes graphic. Also Danganronpa and 999 are barely 'visual novels'. They're adventure games. Steins;Gate is the best and most VN of the trio, but it's quite the experience to jump straight into it.

Ace Attorney is the best answer (and again: not really a VN, but it's separated into cases and plays in chunks nicely and is much less intense) but yeah you're a little platform constrained there. Personally I'd say go for something Western like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango or Full Throttle, I consider them basically the same genre and they're PC-centric, but if you want the Japanese flavor... Ace Attorney still probably best. Find a way to play DS / iOS / Wii games?

If you have to choose one of the three series, I guess I'd say Danganronpa. It's probably the weakest but it's also probably the friendliest.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about all those 3 but I've yet to play them, lol.

I can, however, instead second The House in Fata Morgana because it really is that good - it was my GOTY 2016.
It's really hard to say what makes it special without spoiling it, but preta is absolutely spot on.
I'm going to add that it's not that long for VN standards -- 20-30 hours depending on your reading speed and besides having an amazing story and a really cool and unusual artstyle it also has really good and unusual music.

I'd definitely recommend 999 the most of those. DS version ideally.

I'd also like to put in a very hearty recommendation for The House in Fata Morgana - while it's difficult to talk about or even describe in any kind of detail without spoiling things, about the best way I can put it is that it's a dark, eerie, mysterious, twisted, ugly, yet beautiful exploration of the human condition. It's one of the best stories I've experienced in any medium, and I really can't recommend it any more highly. It's a pure visual novel - no puzzles or anything of that nature. It does have a sizable demo as well, so give it a try.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
I would say Steins;Gate is a little too long for a beginner and I'm a big fan.

I recommend starting 999 first and seeing if you like it, if so, you've got a great series ahead of you and I'd try the other ones you mentioned as well.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've played all three!

I played 999 first, thought it was fine. Didn't hate it or anything, but I never played the sequels and I'm kind of okay with that.

Then I played Danganronpa, and thought it was incredible and unique and amazing and it's highly recommended and I really should go and play 2 now.

Then after that I also tried Steins;Gate because it kept coming up as a comparable thing, and I didn't get very far because it was just ridiculously, unbearably anime. And I generally think I have a very high tolerance for that sort of thing.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
999 is the perfect game to get you started (the first game in the Zero Escape trilogy). The thing with Steins;Gate is that it's a 20 hour visual novel that requires you to press one button throughout the story to proceed. I did enjoy it a lot, but I also felt bored at times playing it, and this is why I wouldn't suggest the game for someone who hasn't played visual novels before.
999 has a really good balance of gameplay sections where you're investigating a room and heavy story sections where characters are simply interacting with each other. It does both of these things properly while keeping the player immersed.

With that said, Danganronpa is a different beast altogether. Yes. you will be investigating rooms and solving mysteries in it, but whether you enjoy the experience or not depends entirely on your tolerance for anime.

SG is very much invested in the otaku and internet culture and has a cast that is extremely grating at the start of the game, who actively put me off 2 attempts to play it. I finished it eventually and liked it overall, but it's very slow and annoying.

I second this. The story takes a really long time to get going too, and it demands a lot of patience from the player.

Oh, and I should also add that Ace Attorney was my first experience with VN and it's one of my favorite franchises of all time. The best VN for me, personally.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Side note: I really hate the way the western audience has latched onto the term "visual novel" to mean all of Japanese adventures. It's a complete malapropism to call something like Ace Attorney or Danganrompa a "visual novel." VNs are a small subset of Japanese adventures that have essentially no gameplay.