• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
licensed-image

From Wikipedia:

(born September 21, 1947) is an American author of horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction and fantasy. His books have sold more than 350 million copies,[2] many of which have been adapted into feature films, miniseries, television series, and comic books. King has published 58 novels, including seven under the pen name Richard Bachman, and six non-fiction books. He has written around 200 short stories, most of which have been published in book collections.

King has received Bram Stoker Awards, World Fantasy Awards, and British Fantasy Society Awards. In 2003, the National Book Foundation awarded him the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.[3] He has also received awards for his contribution to literature for his entire oeuvre, such as the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement (2004), and the Grand Master Award from the Mystery Writers of America (2007).[4] In 2015, King was awarded with a National Medal of Arts from the United States National Endowment for the Arts for his contributions to literature.[5] He has been described as the "King of Horror".[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King#cite_note-te-6

Here's a list of his books in chronological order: (from https://www.thoughtco.com/stephen-king-book-list-362088)

From Carrie to Misery (1960-1985)
King graduated from the University of Maine in 1970 but did not sell his first novel, Carrie, until 1974. Here's a look at his work both pre- and post-college.

• 1960 - People, Places, And Things - Volume 1 (limited edition with Chris Chelsey)
  • 1964 - The Star Invaders (limited edition)
  • 1967 in Startling Mystery Stories: The Glass Floor
  • 1974 - Carrie This was the book that put King on the map; the story of a telekinetic girl and her abusive mother, Carrie goes berserk, killing her classmates after a cruel prank at the prom
  • 1975 - Salem's Lot
  • 1977 - The Shining: This book was made into an iconic 1980 film by Stanley Kubrick, which King reportedly didn't like.
  • 1978 - Night Shift (stories)
  • 1978 - The Stand
  • 1979 - The Dead Zone
  • 1980 - Firestarter
  • 1981 - Cujo
  • 1981 - Danse Macabre (nonfiction about horror)
  • 1981 - Roadwork
  • 1982 - Creepshow (comic book, illustrated by Bernie Wrightson)
  • 1982 - The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
  • 1982 - Different Seasons (novellas)
  • 1983 - Christine
  • 1983 - Pet Sematary
  • 1983 - Cycle of the Werewolf
  • 1984 - The Talisman (written with Peter Straub)
  • 1985 - Skeleton Crew (stories, including "The Mist")
  • 1985 - The Bachman Books (novel collection).
  • 1986 - It

• 1987 - The Eyes of the Dragon

From Misery to the Green Mile 1987-1995
1987 - Misery The story of a homicidal nurse who takes an injured writer hostage, was turned into a critically acclaimed movie. Kathy Bates, who played Annie Wilkes, won the 1990 Oscar for Best Actress.

• 1987 - The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
  • 1988 - The Tommyknockers
  • 1988 - Nightmares in the Sky (Photo book with text by King)
  • 1988 - Dark Visions
  • 1989 - The Dark Half
  • 1989 - Dolan's Cadillac (limited edition)
  • 1989 - My Pretty Pony (limited edition)
  • 1990 - The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition
  • 1990 - Four Past Midnight (stories)
  • 1991 - Needful Things
  • 1991 - The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
  • 1992 - Gerald's Game
  • 1993 - Dolores Claiborne
  • 1993 - Nightmares & Dreamscapes (stories)
  • 1994 - Insomnia
  • 1995 - Rose Madder
  • 1995 - Umney's Last Case

From The Green Mile and Beyond
1996 - The Green Mile (originally published as a monthly serial consisting of six parts: The Two Dead Girls, The Mouse on the Mile, Coffey's Hands, The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix, Night Journey, and Coffey on the Mile). The Green Mile was a 2000 film starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan. The film was nominated for Best Picture, and Duncan was nominated Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of doomed but gentle psychic John Coffey.

• 1996 - Desperation
  • 1997 - Six Stories (stories)
  • 1997 - The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
  • 1998 - Bag of Bones
  • 1999 - Storm of the Century
  • 1999 - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
  • 1999 - The New Lieutenant's Rap (limited edition)
  • 1999 - Hearts in Atlantis
  • 1999 - Blood and Smoke (audiobook)
  • 2000 - Secret Windows
  • 2000 - On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (nonfiction autobiography)
  • 2000 - Dreamcatcher
  • 2001 - Black House (written with Peter Straub)
  • 2002 - From a Buick 8
  • 2002 - Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales
  • 2003 - The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (revised edition)
  • 2003 - The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
  • 2004 - The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
  • 2004 - The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
  • 2004 - Faithful. King and co-author Stuart O'Nan began writing their book with no inkling that the long-suffering Red Sox would finally win the World Series after an 86-year drought. It changed the ending they had planned a bit.
  • 2005 - The Colorado Kid
  • 2006 - The Secretary of Dreams
  • 2006 - Cell
  • 2006 - Lisey's Story
  • 2007 - The Mist

• 2008 - Duma Key
  • 2009 - Stephen King Goes to the Movies
  • 2009 - The Little Sisters of Eluria (limited edition)
  • 2009 - "Graduation Afternoon" (in PostScripts)
  • 2009 - "Throttle" (in He is Legend)
  • 2009 - Under the Dome: A television show based on the book ran from 2013-2015.
  • 2009 - "A Good Marriage"
  • 2009 - "Big Driver"
  • 2009 - "1922"
  • 2009 - "Fair Extension"
  • 2010 - Full Dark, No Stars
  • 2011 - The Chronicles of Harris Burdick
  • 2011 - "The Dune"
  • 2011 - 11/22/63
  • 2012 - The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole
  • 2013 - Hard Listening (co-written with other authors in his author rock band)
  • 2013 - Joyland
  • 2013 - The Dark Man
  • 2013 - Doctor Sleep
  • 2014 - Revival
  • 2014 - Big Driver
  • 2014 - A Good Marriage
  • 2014 - Mr. Mercedes
  • 2015 - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
  • 2015 - Finders Keepers
  • 2017 novels - End of Watch
  • 2017 Sleeping Beauties (co-written with his son Owen King)
  • 2018: The Outsider
  • 2018 Elevation

King Short Stories, Essays, Online Publications and Novellas
  • 2000 - Riding the Bullet (electronically published novella)
  • 2000 - The Plant(electronically published)
  • 2009 - UR (e-novella available only on Amazon.com's Kindle)
  • 2011 - Mile 81 (e-novella
  • 2012 - In the Tall Grass (e-novella with Joe Hill)
  • 2012 - A Face in the Crowd (e-novella)
  • 2013 - "Guns" (an essay available on Kindle)
  • 2015 short stories - "The Dune," "That Bus Is Another World," "Bad Little Kid," "A Death," "Afterlife," "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation," "Summer Thunder," "Drunken Fireworks," "Obits," "Premium Harmony," "Under the Weather," "Morality," "Mister Yummy," "Herman Wouk is Still Alive," "Mile 81."
  • 2015 novellas - "Blockade Billy," "UR"
  • 2015 poems, "The Bone Church," "Tommy"
  • 2015 television - 11/22/63
  • 2016 anthologies - "Hearts in Suspension," "In Sunlight or in Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper," "Killer Crimes"
  • 2016 short stories - "Man with a Belly," "The Music Room"
  • 2016 essay - "Five to One, One in Five"

Richard Bachman's Published Books
in the late 1970s and early 80s, King wanted to write more than one book per year, but his publishers were concerned about oversaturating the market. He also wanted to know whether his books were successful just because he had achieved some level of fame; that is, were they best-sellers just because people wanted to read the latest Stephen King.

So King invented the alter-ego of Richard Bachman and released four works under that pseudonym: Rage (1977), The Long Walk (1979), Roadwork (1981), and The Running Man (1982) before he was discovered. He wrote several additional works as Bachman: 1984 - Thinner (1984), 1996 - The Regulators (1996) and Blaze (2007)

Stephen King's Unpublished Books and Stories
  • 1959 - Charlie (short story)
  • 1963 - The Aftermath (novel)
  • 1970 - Sword in the Darkness, also known as Good Day Sunshine (novel)
  • 1974 - The House on Value Street (unfinished)
  • 1976 - Welcome to Clearwater(unfinished)
  • 1976 - The Corner (unfinished)
  • 1977 - Wimsey (unfinished)
  • 1983 - The Leprechaun (unfinished)
  • 1983 - The Cannibals, also known as Under the Dome
  • 1984 - Keyholes (unfinished)
  • 1996 - The Pretender (unfinished)

Here's a link to his bibliography on Wikipedia-to see more detail on each book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This month I listened to two King audiobooks-
1. On Writing - this is narrated by King himself and he details his life in this book including the near fatal accident in 1999 that nearly killed him. I highly recommend it-I might even say it's my favorite book of his.

2. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - this is a good book, but the audiobook is narrated by Anne Heche and she's just awful. Not recommended.

The first King books I ever read were one summer when I turned 13. I think it was The Gunslinger, Eyes of the Dragon and Needful Things.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
One of my favorite authors, and someone who really inspires me to write. IF I'm feeling stuck, I'll crack open one of his books and just read for a few pages and bam, I'm itching to get back to whatever I'm working on.

The Dark Tower is my favorite book.

The dude is a treasure, and I'm thankful we have him.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Good job on the much needed OT.

I've liked Stephen King since I was young, but haven't read many of his books. I recently bought almost all of them used, new and heavily discounted, and had some given to me. My plan is to read them all. I want to wait to read the classics until I'm at a better place in life, and with a better attention span. I find it hard to focus because of depression.

In 2017, I read Gwendy's Button Box, Everything's Eventual, Bazaar of Bad Dreams, Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Just After Sunset. Then in 2018, I read The Colorado Kid, The Outsider and Elevation.

Previously, I've read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Under the Dome, The Running Man, The Gunslinger and most of Cell.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I've got a copy of The Bachman Books that still has Rage in it

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Good job on the much needed OT.

I've liked Stephen King since I was young, but haven't read many of his books. I recently bought almost all of them used, new and heavily discounted, and had some given to me. My plan is to read them all. I want to wait to read the classics until I'm at a better place in life, and with a better attention span. I find it hard to focus because of depression.

In 2017, I read Gwendy's Button Box, Everything's Eventual, Bazaar of Bad Dreams, Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Just After Sunset. Then in 2018, I read The Colorado Kid and maybe one other.

Previously, I've read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Running Man, The Gunslinger and most of Cell.

Cell isn't one of his most loved books but I have a soft spot for it. It's a very creepy book/twist on the zombie genre. I remember thinking it would have made a great movie, and yet I've never seen the movie for it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget his storied acting career with such classic roles such as Hoagie Guy from George Romero's masterpiece Knight Riders and of course poor Jordy Verill from Creep Show.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

To those who aren't in the know:

The novel's plot vaguely resembles actual events that have transpired since the book's publication, to such a degree that the author is no longer comfortable with the book's being in print for fear that it may inspire similar occurrences ("[Rage is] now out of print."[1]) as it had already been associated with incidents of high school shootings and hostage takings:

When King decided to let Rage fall out of print in the United States, it remained available only as part of The Bachman Books. In contrast, the other novels that appeared in that compilation - The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man - are available separately in the USA. Rage remained available in the United Kingdom and other countries in The Bachman Books for a time, but later appeared to become unavailable.[9] New editions of The Bachman Books do not include Rage.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Long Walk is one of my favorite King stories. I'm honestly surprised no one's attempted an adaptation of it aside from the stuff really loosely based on it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
my mom gave me most of my current King collection, she used to buy them as soon as they came out, and multiple copies

i think i she has a few signed by king, but i might be mistaken, its been a long time since i perused her collection

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big Stephen King fan but I had to return Under the Dome (Audible). The characters were so fucking stupid I couldn't listen to it to the end. I've been a big fan of the Mr. Mercedes storyline.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I picked up a used Book Club edition of The Bachman Books last spring because I wanted to read and own Rage. Haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm still looking for a better copy because the dust jacket is in rough shape.

Cell isn't one of his most loved books but I have a soft spot for it. It's a very creepy book/twist on the zombie genre. I remember thinking it would have made a great movie, and yet I've never seen the movie for it.

I liked it, but never finished it. I started several of his books and didn't finish them. Not because I disliked them, but mostly because I lost my zest for reading then figured I wouldn't remember enough when I got it back months later.

I have three copies of it now (got a hardcover of it and From a Buick 8 for $5 together, and ended up with two of each of the Halloween Editions) and plan to read it all again.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Stephen King fan but I had to return Under the Dome (Audible). The characters were so fucking stupid I couldn't listen to it to the end. I've been a big fan of the Mr. Mercedes storyline.

The show was awful and I had to drop out after 2 episodes but I LOVED the book. I felt it was one of his best books in a really long time.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
my favorite understated King book is probably Dolores Claiborne

its a pretty simple story, but I've always loved the way its told, like one big story told like a train of thought, no chapters or whatnot

made it feel more like a real story someone was telling you

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
my friend was surprised at how there was a lot of King adaptations in the works/coming out recently

i had to show them how it wasn't a new thing, and how there's been adaptations in various forms nearly yearly for a long ass time

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
My favorite author! Just started The Outsider and loving it already.

My favorite King books are The Dead Zone, IT, Wizard & Glass, and Drawing of the Three, but i still have like 25 more to read!

Same here. Nice find from the local used bookstore. It's where i've gotten a lot of my King collection.

my mom gave me most of my current King collection, she used to buy them as soon as they came out, and multiple copies

i think i she has a few signed by king, but i might be mistaken, its been a long time since i perused her collection

I started reading King as my first "adult author" when I was a young lad because my mom had a bunch of her King books in the house from her college days. I'll never forget being 12 years old and reading the first few chapters of Gerald's Game.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
In high school and college he is almost all I read (mid to late 90s). Sadly I haven't read much since then. What of his newer works should I read? Thanks

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
my favorite understated King book is probably Dolores Claiborne

its a pretty simple story, but I've always loved the way its told, like one big story told like a train of thought, no chapters or whatnot

made it feel more like a real story someone was telling you

You're right about this-it's one of his most underrated books. I think people don't talk about it because it's not a supernatural book. If I remember correctly it takes place simultaneously to Gerald's Game-with the eclipse being the connective tissue.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got done reading my first King book, 11/22/63. Funnily enough the Kennedy stuff was the least good part of the book; I liked the grappling with time travelling and how it impacts relationships much more.

Oct 26, 2017
In high school and college he is almost all I read (mid to late 90s). Sadly I haven't read much since then. What of his newer works should I read? Thanks

Revival is great. It's a classic King setup with a nice Lovecraftian twist.

11/22/63 is one of his more highly regarded books, but, despite having it sitting on my Kindle, I haven't gotten around to it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
You're right about this-it's one of his most underrated books. I think people don't talk about it because it's not a supernatural book. If I remember correctly it takes place simultaneously to Gerald's Game-with the eclipse being the connective tissue.
yeah, i think thats the only supernatural thing that really happened besides a few 'visions', but it's closer to a human subject story than anything else

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
11/22/63 is one of his more highly regarded books, but, despite having it sitting on my Kindle, I haven't gotten around to it.
I liked the book a lot more than the Amazon series

casting James Franco as the main is what probably got the series green lit in the first place, but I don't really feel him as Epping

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
The Outsider audiobook was utterly fantastic. Just fyi to anybody interested.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Outsider audiobook was utterly fantastic. Just fyi to anybody interested.

My daughter got me the hardcover for Christmas. I might get the Audible version.

Edit: oh I do have it. Narrated by Will Patton! I don't have Elation yet.

I'm about to start the audiobook of Carrie, narrated by Sissy Spacek(!)

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah i have an audible credit I haven't used yet

what book should I get if the only King books i've read are 11/22/63 and On Writing

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Stephen King has a unique vibe in his stories, oddly enough I haven't read many at all though. Coincidentally, I bought Pet Sematary last night. I view the original movie as wasted potential so I'm hoping the novel saw it realized.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
King is a living legend.

Also, king has convinced me to never visit Maine as all of the crazy shit is based on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this OT! He is unabashedly my favorite author. I read The Shining when I was 10 and didn't sleep for a week. I've been hooked ever since then.

One of my favorite books by him in recent years is Lisey's Story. It is creepy and poignant and left a lasting impression on me.

I've read most of his works and my Stephen King collection has survived two coast to coast moves.

Also? Kingdom Hospital was fucking great. I loved that show. I have a real soft spot for Haven, too.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Is Insomnia just overlooked or is it not very well liked? I've always though it was one of his better novels but nobody seems to talk about it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Wizard and Glass and N are two of my favorite pieces of fiction on this planet. N is just a solid read, but holy shit Wizard and Glass. I actually stopped reading it for a time because I didn't want it to end.

I don't love a lot of his works, but he's definitely got some bangers.

And just because I feel SO strongly about it...

If you haven't read Wizard and Glass, find an excuse to do so. I actually never finished The Dark Tower series because book 5 bored me so much. But book 4 changed me.