• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Tommyknockers was at the height of his drug abuse he has stated. He doesn't remember the book and he thinks it's a bad book. He told Rolling Stone there's a good 350 page story inside Tommyknockers.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like he announced his next book. Called The Institute. Seems to be about kids taken to a facility that have Telekinesis and Telepathy powers. Coming this fall.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Same. The cover is surprisingly awesome.

The last two books had good covers, too, especially The Outsider hardcover. But I like this one better than Elevation, and maybe even better than The Outsider for some reason.

I think it's the contrast of the inside the train and the outside of it. The surreal fakeness of the inside with the window and it being brighter.

It almost looks like it'd be some surreal poster or something.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
For those that have read Bag of Bones and Outsider, are the books related at all? After reading Bag of Bones, the Outsider's book title, cover design and even synopsis remind me of certain plot points. I'm working my way through his later short stories, but may jump to Outsider if it does tie in at all, while Bag of Bones is still fresh in my mind.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
So a question for you Stephen King aficionados, what are his most Lovecraftian-like stories? I'm making progress on IT and bought Revival to read next.
Hey, didn't read Revival yet but do get ahold of these short stories:
Jerusalem's Lot (Night Shift) - It's not really related to 'Salem's Lot at all as far as I can tell but it acts as a sort of prequel. One of his best. Chilling stuff with a vintage horror feel.
Crouch End (Nightmares & Dreamscapes) - There's a direct Lovecraft reference in that if I'm not mistaken and it's also a great one and the best story from that collection imo
N (Just After Sunset) - This is probably the scariest King story, at least it is for me. A must, you have to get your hands on this one.

All of these are really good. I wish I liked Lovecraft as much as I love King's take on him.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I've only started reading him in the last few years or so.

All The Dark Towers
Salems Lot
The Stand
It
Under the Dome
The Shining

Still many to go.
If you've already hit up The Dark Tower and The Stand, I'd suggest reading Eyes of the Dragon. It's short, you can finish it in just a few sittings, but it's another great source of backstory for Flagg and a look at another barony in In-World that's mentioned in only the vaguest of context in the Dark Tower. It was also the book that originally got me into reading as a hobby back when I was a kid, so I end up suggesting it all the time regardless, but with your existing knowledge of the series already, you'll get a lot more out of certain aspects of it.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If you've already hit up The Dark Tower and The Stand, I'd suggest reading Eyes of the Dragon. It's short, you can finish it in just a few sittings, but it's another great source of backstory for Flagg and a look at another barony in In-World that's mentioned in only the vaguest of context in the Dark Tower. It was also the book that originally got me into reading as a hobby back when I was a kid, so I end up suggesting it all the time regardless, but with your existing knowledge of the series already, you'll get a lot more out of certain aspects of it.
Eyes of the dragon is definitely on my list but like the guy above I was thinking of going for pet semetary next before the film comes out

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Finished Pet Semetary today. Man that was dark. I kind of wish I hadn't seen the 89 film because I feel like that climax would have been something heavy if I didn't know it was all going down the shitter from the start.

Jud Crandall was such a great well written character.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are the best King books of the last ten years? I've fallen off for a long time but am interested in getting back on board the King train.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've read very few King books.

Needful Things, It, Pet Semetary, some Dark Tower. Currently on Shining.

Wownis Shining different. Jack isn't a major ass from the get go. Great film but I can see why King wasn't happy with it.

Is Dr. Sleep a good follow up to it?

Any others I should read? Looking for the more current stuff.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017

Wownis Shining different. Jack isn't a major ass from the get go. Great film but I can see why King wasn't happy with it.

I enjoyed Dr. Sleep but it's definitely more in his modern style. I'd check out Salem's Lot if you want old stuff. For modern stuff the Mr. Mercedes trilogy is decent and I liked Under the Dome a lot.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I've just started Dr. Sleep. if anything-the first few chapters are really a treat because it's almost like an epilogue to the Shining. But then it jumps to modern times.

Done with Pet Sematary.

What a smooth ride it was from start to finish, just when it get to fixed on a point bam here it comes another point of view or the story is turned up to 11 just to keep it fresh.

The only thing I feel King didn't earn was the shift from Sometimes dead is better to Oz The Gweat and Tewwible, too sudden for me.

We never got a flashforward of what happens to her right? but we know Louise maybe survives (but then again we know from the narrator that something happens in the house attic)

It may be an old style King book but it's still a must.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Done with Pet Sematary.

What a smooth ride it was from start to finish, just when it get to fixed on a point bam here it comes another point of view or the story is turned up to 11 just to keep it fresh.

The only thing I feel King didn't earn was the shift from Sometimes dead is better to Oz The Gweat and Tewwible, too sudden for me.

We never got a flashforward of what happens to her right? but we know Louise maybe survives (but then again we know from the narrator that something happens in the house attic)

Did you notice
When the Wendigo touched Gage and Lewis at the start of the book? When he was carrying Gage up to this bed room he feels something cold rush over him that was the Wendigo marking him and gage with it's touch which is a curse.

Did you notice
When the Wendigo touched Gage and Lewis at the start of the book? When he was carrying Gage up to this bed room he feels something cold rush over him that was the Wendigo marking him and gage with it's touch which is a curse.
Not that but yeah they reference "that" in another part when he muses why this all really happened.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Not that but yeah they reference "that" in another part when he muses why this all really happened.

Yeah I loved the ending where the Wendigo almost touched Steve and he hauled ass and left Maine the same day lol

If you haven't read it The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon is connected to Pet Semetary it's not near as scary but it has an awesome crossover with Pet Semetary.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
That is such a cool cover, but the synopsis doesn't get me super excited.

I've never read anything by Stephen King though, might check him out this year, maybe a horror or fantasy, dunno. [edit] looking at the list of books he's published oh wow, no idea where to start.
Pet Sematary is kind of the best jumping off point.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Done with Pet Sematary.

Yeah I just finished this as well, really fantastic.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Currently listening to Revival on Audible, I'm about 70% done. The first third was great great stuff, I didn't lose interest per se but I found the beginning so much more interesting than the rest. Hope the ending throws something cool my way

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Currently listening to Revival on Audible, I'm about 70% done. The first third was great great stuff, I didn't lose interest per se but I found the beginning so much more interesting than the rest. Hope the ending throws something cool my way

Stick with it it's got one of his better endings to it. That's the worst part about audiobooks any slight slow down in the story is freaking agony to me anyway. I've ended up getting agitated with audiobooks and just buying the kindle version to finish the story quick because I got impatient so many times.

Yeah I loved the ending where the Wendigo almost touched Steve and he hauled ass and left Maine the same day lol

If you haven't read it The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon is connected to Pet Semetary it's not near as scary but it has an awesome crossover with Pet Semetary.

Thanks didn't know that will bump it to the front of the the queue then.

And yeah that chapter is the most king of all the book lol such a random way to explain something.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks didn't know that will bump it to the front of the the queue then.

And yeah that chapter is the most king of all the book lol such a random way to explain something.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is short too I think it's like 300 pages it's not his most terrifying book but it is a fun read.

Looking back on it after finishing the book a few months ago it's pretty funny but when it happened and I was caught up in the book I was like that's exactly what I would have done too.

Jared

Oct 27, 2017
I love Stephen King he is my favorite author, and I will purchase every book he publishes. The only issue I have with his most recent stuff is every time he attempts to write teenagers or younger the dialogue is so unbelievable. No kids ever speak like that. I know he's an old man now but it's starting to get ridiculous.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Doctor Sleep and it was so good. Although I wish the final fight had a bit more flare to it.

I'm sad it's over. Can't wait for the film.

Recently watched the tv The Shining which is more book accurate. It was okay. Also watched both Salem's Lot TV movies. Also alright.

Think I may read Salem's Lot next.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Doctor Sleep and it was so good. Although I wish the final fight had a bit more flare to it.

I'm sad it's over. Can't wait for the film.

Recently watched the tv The Shining which is more book accurate. It was okay. Also watched both Salem's Lot TV movies. Also alright.

Think I may read Salem's Lot next.

You can't go wrong with Salems Lot I used to have a recurring nightmare about the main villain the book is awesome.

I've been working on finishing the audiobook of Different Seasons but honestly Apt Pupil was so long and brutal I had to take a break before I finished it. Apt Pupil is insanely fucked up just when you think it can't get worse it tops the awfulness of the characters everytime.