• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Give Elevation a read just because I wanted a change of pace and thought odd that it was a recent book and so lauded.

What a blast, is super short but front to back a really nice read.

This is like the perfect book for understanding male white privilege and I didn't think King was capable of it.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Give Elevation a read just because I wanted a change of pace and thought odd that it was a recent book and so lauded.

What a blast, is super short but front to back a really nice read.

This is like the perfect book for understanding male white privilege and I didn't think King was capable of it.

I just started it this weekend and it's great.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't know there was an official king thread, cool beans. The one author who's books I like to have around and I also have a copy of the Bachman Books with Rage.

Last thing I read was sleeping beauties which was pretty good, would love to see him do a collab that big with Joe who is also one of my faves.

Oct 26, 2017
Thread, advice

Should I read The Outsider after the Bill Hodges Trilogy?

Yeah, I read The Outsider without having read Hodges and was unexpectedly treated to what seemed like a very thorough summary of the trilogy halfway through. Liked the book a lot, though.

Unfortunately, I obviously can't speak to the quality of trilogy; hope I'm not recommending a three book slog here.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Yeah, I read The Outsider without having read Hodges and was unexpectedly treated to what seemed like a very thorough summary of the trilogy halfway through. Liked the book a lot, though.

Unfortunately, I obviously can't speak to the quality of trilogy; hope I'm not recommending a three book slog here.
Can't speak to End of Watch, but Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers are both great.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All 3 are certainly worth your time. Is there another book that uses the characters from the Mr Mercedes universe? In The Outsider, Holly refers to a case she has just worked on, but there doesn't seem to be any other book between End of Watch and The Outsider that would feature it.

Yikes didn't get it went so deep with the trilogy, so to the end of the queue it goes.

And worry not I already wanted to read the trilogy so it is in the backburner.

And good to see people liking it, that is reassuring.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to Doctor Sleep on Audible and Will Patton is just awful as the reader. Every line reading is cranked to level 100 drama and "whispered/hushed" voice.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read the outsider. Liked it to be honest, though I have seen some not like it. Kind of a suspense thriller/horror mashup.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The Outsider feels like a nothing burger. Villian does nothing most of the time and it ends just like Mr. Mercedes.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out IT Chapter 2 comes out next month I gotta finish the audiobook this will be my tenth or something time going through the book. I hope they include the really scary stuff they didn't put in the first movie including my favorite part where
After Eddie gets his arm broken and they are in the childrens ward of the hospital and Pennywise is dancing and laughing at them behind her while he's standing in the neonatal ward. And the babies are screaming and crying and the kids just look on in terror.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out IT Chapter 2 comes out next month I gotta finish the audiobook this will be my tenth or something time going through the book. I hope they include the really scary stuff they didn't put in the first movie including my favorite part where
After Eddie gets his arm broken and they are in the childrens ward of the hospital and Pennywise is dancing and laughing at them behind her while he's standing in the neonatal ward. And the babies are screaming and crying and the kids just look on in terror.

I'm listening to it right now and it's great. Steven Weber is always a great narrator. But man the book is so long. I was hoping to finish before the movie but there's no way.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Listening to It right now too. Still have 22 hours to go. Hope to have it finished before the movie.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Reading The Green Mile now. Really enjoying it so far. Also picked up the first Dark Tower book but I don't know when I'll get to it lol

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Reading The Green Mile now. Really enjoying it so far. Also picked up the first Dark Tower book but I don't know when I'll get to it lol

Oh man, The Dark Tower is my favorite series ever. I was hooked at the ending of book 1. The first book is iconic but a little rough (King wrote it when he was 19 I think), but you're in for a ride!

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Just in my way to read the dark tower saga and I'm at the point where reading Insomnia is recommended (before the 5th book).

I'm seeing that the book is pretty long and also not very well appreciated. My question: is it really needed to get the most of the 5th book?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Just in my way to read the dark tower saga and I'm at the point where reading Insomnia is recommended (before the 5th book).

I'm seeing that the book is pretty long and also not very well appreciated. My question: is it really needed to get the most of the 5th book?

Not at all.

I read Insomnia after the Dark Tower Series and didn't lose anything by doing it that way around. It isn't linked enough to justify taking a break in my opinion.

I quite liked Insomnia, but think i'd be pretty pissed if I read a retirement romance story bc it is supposed to be essential to the narrative of the Dark Tower (it isn't).

To be honest, I think Salem's Lot would be better to read before Wolves than Insomnia. Still, the series works on it's own.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought a copy of Bag of Bones from our local bookshop, in large part because the cover was a gorgeous design of a style I hadn't seen on UK editions before.

Did a bit of digging, and it looks like these were a UK-specific King of Halloween design, and... they're lovely. I want them all (even though Bag of Bones was the only one of the set I didn't previous own).

n7er8jkw6mq11.jpg

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm going to second no, no real need to read insomnia, but I will shill for it because its one of my personal favorites. But if you ever do decide to read it's best consumed seperate in my opinion.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all.

I read Insomnia after the Dark Tower Series and didn't lose anything by doing it that way around. It isn't linked enough to justify taking a break in my opinion.

I quite liked Insomnia, but think i'd be pretty pissed if I read a retirement romance story bc it is supposed to be essential to the narrative of the Dark Tower (it isn't).

To be honest, I think Salem's Lot would be better to read before Wolves than Insomnia. Still, the series works on it's own.
I'm going to second no, no real need to read insomnia, but I will shill for it because its one of my personal favorites. But if you ever do decide to read it's best consumed seperate in my opinion.

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely read Insomnia later but I'm not in the mood right now. Already read Salem's Lot so I'll keep going with the 5th book.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Green Mile is fantastic and one of the few that got a movie that actually managed to capture most of the power of the book without dropping the ball somewhere along the line. The Dark Tower, on the other hand, is easily my favorite series in all of literature, but my god did the movie fail to deliver on any of it. Get ready for a real engaging story when you do get around to starting it. Also this thread's title will make a little more sense once you get into it.

Oh man, The Dark Tower is my favorite series ever. I was hooked at the ending of book 1. The first book is iconic but a little rough (King wrote it when he was 19 I think), but you're in for a ride!
Yup, the series itself is easily my favorite and definitely the one I've come back to the most times to reread. The Gunslinger definitely sets things up in a cool way where it could have just been its own standalone story or part of a much bigger whole. I think that approach really did a lot to draw me in, since by the end it felt like there was this whole deep lore that could be explored, but didn't need to be to enjoy what you got from the first book.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I wish I liked the dark tower series as much as everyone else. I enjoyed the first 3 books. Then the 4th book was so good it made me wish he had written a series about young roland and his friends because I found them and their world so much more compelling.

I carried on reading anyway of course and I liked the 5th book mostly, but book 6 and 7 aside from a few moments were really poor and felt so rushed. Like Kings fear of not finishing the series before he died really ruined the series for me.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I loved the Dark Tower series and The Stand what other King books would you suggest? I am interested in something very similar

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I read The Dead Zone for the first time a few months back, and I think it's probably King's 'best' book. Not necessarily my favourite, but I think it's exceptional.

I have been reading some of the Booker longlist and other award-tipped books either side of it, and The Dead Zone sits right in there as an outstanding piece of writing.

If I loved the Dark Tower series and The Stand what other King books would you suggest? I am interested in something very similar

11/22/63 and IT are the obvious next steps i'd say.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I wish I liked the dark tower series as much as everyone else. I enjoyed the first 3 books. Then the 4th book was so good it made me wish he had written a series about young roland and his friends because I found them and their world so much more compelling.

I carried on reading anyway of course and I liked the 5th book mostly, but book 6 and 7 aside from a few moments were really poor and felt so rushed. Like Kings fear of not finishing the series before he died really ruined the series for me.

The last three books arent as good as the first four I agree, but by that time I was so invested that I didn't care.

I do think 5 is the biggest slog though, I thought 6 and 7 (feels like 1 big book anyway) were pretty good. Some original stuff in there too.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The last three books arent as good as the first four I agree, but by that time I was so invested that I didn't care.

I do think 5 is the biggest slog though, I thought 6 and 7 (feels like 1 big book anyway) were pretty good. Some original stuff in there too.

6 for me was the weakest. But they still all had some great moments. I loved the series but wish he'd write more young roland.

Wind through the keyhole was fantastic too.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read The Dead Zone for the first time a few months back, and I think it's probably King's 'best' book. Not necessarily my favourite, but I think it's exceptional.

I have been reading some of the Booker longlist and other award-tipped books either side of it, and The Dead Zone sits right in there as an outstanding piece of writing.
I actually have thought it was his best piece, but then he wrote Revival and that might actually be better, I know it's my favorite.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 for me was the weakest. But they still all had some great moments. I loved the series but wish he'd write more young roland.

Wind through the keyhole was fantastic too.

Yeah, Wind through the keyhole was great.

I also really, really, really loved The Wolves of Calla.

Wizard and Glass is one of my favorite books ever, and if King doesn't write a fucking book about the Battle of Jericho Hill I'll...

Well, I'll just be really sad about it.

Graphic novels are almost all amazing. Even if you don't like comics, they're worth reading for the story and art if you like The Dark Tower at all.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've read very little of King. Pet Sematary, Desperation, and The Regulators. I was too intimidated by IT and The Stand.

I'm really surprised that Desperation / Regulators hasn't been turned into a mini series. That would be pretty fun.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Green Mile is fantastic and one of the few that got a movie that actually managed to capture most of the power of the book without dropping the ball somewhere along the line. The Dark Tower, on the other hand, is easily my favorite series in all of literature, but my god did the movie fail to deliver on any of it. Get ready for a real engaging story when you do get around to starting it. Also this thread's title will make a little more sense once you get into it.

Yup, the series itself is easily my favorite and definitely the one I've come back to the most times to reread. The Gunslinger definitely sets things up in a cool way where it could have just been its own standalone story or part of a much bigger whole. I think that approach really did a lot to draw me in, since by the end it felt like there was this whole deep lore that could be explored, but didn't need to be to enjoy what you got from the first book.

Sounds exciting. Can't wait to dive in :D

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Wind through the keyhole was great.

I also really, really, really loved The Wolves of Calla.

Wizard and Glass is one of my favorite books ever, and if King doesn't write a fucking book about the Battle of Jericho Hill I'll...

Well, I'll just be really sad about it.

Graphic novels are almost all amazing. Even if you don't like comics, they're worth reading for the story and art if you like The Dark Tower at all.

Same. I love the Dark Tower, but I really wish King would have showed us The Fall of Gilead and Jericho Hill properly, not just the little bits we got.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm listening to it right now and it's great. Steven Weber is always a great narrator. But man the book is so long. I was hoping to finish before the movie but there's no way.

He does a really great job yeah I still have 32 hours left I might just buy the actual book and read it even though I prefer his narration. His Pennywise voice is super creepy as well I love it. I wish I still played World of Warcraft that's how I passed most of the time while I listened to audiobooks.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading IT for the first time in preparation for the movie next month and I stumbled upon this thread. I've also read The Dark Tower. Any other recommendations? Really enjoying IT thus far.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading IT for the first time in preparation for the movie next month and I stumbled upon this thread. I've also read The Dark Tower. Any other recommendations? Really enjoying IT thus far.

11/22/63 and Revival are some of his best more recent works and are a bit different in feel to his older stuff.

The Outsider and Sleeping Beauties are both ok, newer, and feel more like his older style.