• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It's good but Revival is better. It's modern Stephen writing a early (Dead Zone, Salem's Lot)Stephen style book. It's as tight and as mean as those two, but with 30+more years of experience/craft. May even be my favorite.

I was gonna say it's tied with Revival for his recent stuff but he's done a lot of really great short story collections the past ten years as well. I didn't like The Outsider though and skipped Mr Mercedes because I'm not interested in that style of book right now.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Enjoyed 11.22.63 a lot but it really slumps in the last 50-100 pages. (Though the very last page or two is quite good)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was gonna say it's tied with Revival for his recent stuff but he's done a lot of really great short story collections the past ten years as well. I didn't like The Outsider though and skipped Mr Mercedes because I'm not interested in that style of book right now.
I liked outsider and the Mr. Mercedes trilogy but I can get why it may not interest some, definitely more detective thriller vs. horror/fantasy.

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome seeing all this activity in the thread.

I'll second the recommendation for Revival. Incredible book.

The Institute is right around the corner, and then he has a new Holly Gibney novel, If It Bleeds, due out in 2020.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It's good but Revival is better. It's modern Stephen writing a early (Dead Zone, Salem's Lot)Stephen style book. It's as tight and as mean as those two, but with 30+more years of experience/craft. May even be my favorite.

I have a hard time siding in this argument because they're both easily my favorite King in years. Revival has stuck with me more, but 11.22.63 just read so fast and so impossible to put down that it just makes it so good.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I love Stephen King!

Finished The Stand on audiobook semi recently, maybe my 4th or 5th time reading that

Massive rambling thoughts on the whole book Spoilers for The Stand + Dark Tower. I probably went overboard on spoiler tags but I didn't want to put this whole mess behind a spoiler tag.

I always want more of the backstory on project blue and the government coverup. I get why he doesn't focus on this as much, but the scenes like the raid on the TV station are great. The chapters with Starkey are over too soon. I'd love to see the first book expanded upon if this mini series happens. The "No Great loss" chapter really displays SK's ability to make these incredible vignettes/short stories. I really want to see the concept of this chapter adapted into a bottle episode or something. He's so good at painting a new character and then quickly killing them, or building up to a fate that you already know will happen. I also love how he writes gunfights in this and Dark Tower. So much buildup, and the fight itself is over quickly but described in blunt detail. I'm not describing this well, but there's always a sense of horror not because of the violence, but because someone was alive one second and gone the next. He may get shit for his endings but he's undoubtedly great at building scenes like this.

Speaking of the ending, I actually like it for the most part

I don't like that the fireball literally turns into a hand, but other than that it's pretty fitting. Flagg brings out everyone in Vegas to watch the execution of the free zone members. He realizes he has his power back, uses it to shut Whitney's mouth and then his power is immediately turned against him. He's basically foiled by his own arrogance straight out of some trope. It works well with his character not knowing his own origins, or even really understanding the properties / rules of his own magic. He doesn't understand why he has foresight for certain aspects of his plan and not others, or why his spying abilities don't work on Tom Cullen. I think that paid off nicely. I love the mental image of Trashcan speeding toward Vegas with a warhead while rotting away from radiation poisoning. It wouldn't be The Stand without that! I also have a great mental image of Stu climbing back up the highway and seeing the mushroom cloud in the distance. For the rest of the book, Stu serves the plot as the messenger to the free zone, and the purpose of Tom & Nick's fate come to light as they help Stu recover (Nick via dream communication with Tom). It wraps up in a satisfying way.

I'd love a revised epilogue where Flagg is more closely connected to his character in DT. He could be transported to the level of the tower from Wizard and Glass; he's still in the post-superflu world in Topeka Kansas, but now he's resuming his quest against Roland. The entirety of The Stand could be a long-winded sidequest for him just so he could show up there in the end, not even knowing the true purpose along the way

Sometimes Nick is insanely verbose considering he has to write everything down. It's a very SK thing to have a main character who is disabled in some way and I wonder if he does this as a challenge to write around it. Like putting Tom and Nick together, or
Roland in Dark Tower losing his fingers early on that's constantly brought up later, and Susannah
Sometimes, it can feel like a gimmick to make a character stand out initially, but his characters are well defined beyond their tropes I think. But I love seeing parallels between his characters. In Dark Tower terms, to me Larry Underwood and Eddie Dean from DT are twinners and
Tom and Trashcan man are similar in how each side uses them for their cause. But since Boulder is supposed to be the good guys, you get a paragraph or two about Larry & crew feeling bad they're sending Tom over. They still do it though.
I like how the book clearly separates "good" and "bad" people and then the characters on both sides prove that humans aren't so clear cut like that. There's a lot of internal justification going on...eg "we can't stoop to their level...but we need to protect ourselves!" It's kinda cheesy cause it feels like you're meant to think that the Boulder crew is always in the right, but I still like it. The characters hypothesize what MIGHT happen in the future so often in this book, and that's where a lot of the excitement happens. Glen Batemen is often used as a vehicle for this.

I feel like Frannie could have been a better character
She's used to develop Harold's character (her rejection of him basically transforms him into incel psychopath mode) and Stu a lot. She's also used as a vehicle to relay the transcripts from the free zone meetings (which was such a slog my first read, but I appreciate them now). There's a few instances of scenes where Stu and Frannie talk about something, usually summarizing their day as a way to tell the story, and it ends in sex. Pretty sure there's a part where she's excited that Stu says he will find her a washboard ...and then they have sex. I guess SK is just really trying to sell Stu and Frannie as main characters in love but that relationship isn't one of the reasons I love the book. Wouldn't have minded if there were Lucy / Larry chapters in place of a couple of those, but Stu actually comes back so I guess they help strengthen their reunion scene.

It's been said before but SK's descriptions of people here are pretty damn dated. There's no way he would write a book in 2019 and describe a black character with "coal black" skin. Or jazz music that "only black ears could hear". And for a book with so many characters from all around the country, everyone sure is white! If this mini series happens, there's tons of creative wiggle room to have a more diverse cast without affecting the story whatsoever, and it would honestly look straight up weird/unrealistic if they were depicted as homogeneous as the book. Mother Abigail being a cliche magical black woman could be changed without breaking the plot, but if she were just surrounded by a more diverse cast maybe she wouldn't stand out as such. I do love her character as is.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Is there any good physical Stephen king book collections that can be bought? I wanted rebuild my collection as I lost so many over the years. Doesnt have to be hard cover but i just wanted something faster than buying them 1 by 1.

I'm in Canada.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good physical Stephen king book collections that can be bought? I wanted rebuild my collection as I lost so many over the years. Doesnt have to be hard cover but i just wanted something faster than buying them 1 by 1.

I'm in Canada.

I just bought this recent re-release of Three Novels collection (Carrie, 'Salems Lot, and The Shining in one giant hardcover), gonna pick it up in the store tomorrow

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for some more info on the Dark Tower TV series. There has been a trickle of casting news and a few on-set photos but little else. No one involved seems to be hyping it up and I'm not seeing much media clamour for coverage.

Really hope the series gets picked up. Wizard and Glass is a fantastic starting point for a DT show and it had so much potential.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A question for people who have read Doctor Sleep and seen the trailer for the new movie. Does it look a decent adaptation? Seem like its following the book?

I think I want to read the book before the movie comes out, but I did this earlier this year with pet semetary and ended absolutely loathing the movie seeing it right after reading the book which I loved.

So should I read doctor sleep before the movie comes out?

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
A question for people who have read Doctor Sleep and seen the trailer for the new movie. Does it look a decent adaptation? Seem like its following the book?

I think I want to read the book before the movie comes out, but I did this earlier this year with pet semetary and ended absolutely loathing the movie seeing it right after reading the book which I loved.

So should I read doctor sleep before the movie comes out?
Pet Semetary was a bad movie. Reading the book didn't color your judgement of it.

Personally I would highly recommend reading Dr. Sleep. It was indulgent and fanservicy while still feeling like it's own story. I loved it.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Pet Semetary was a bad movie. Reading the book didn't color your judgement of it.

Personally I would highly recommend reading Dr. Sleep. It was indulgent and fanservicy while still feeling like it's own story. I loved it.

I'm gonna read it just reading it just before seeing an adaptation might ruin the adaptation. I absolutely loathed the new pet semetary and I do think reading the book just before seeing it coloured that.

But yeah I'll give it a read anyway, hopefully it doesn't ruin the movie for me. I really like the trailer.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
That is going to be VERY heavy... congrats on the future gains
It's a nice edition! Although, the pages are pretty thin, and the gilded edges seem a little cheap (it rubbed a bit in my backpack)

Glad you bumped this thread, cause I got reallly into collecting SK right around the time of my last post. For years I've wanted the signed/limited The Stand in the 'coffin' case. I decided to finally get one and start building an actual collection.

The book in all its glory outside of its glassine wrapper and removed from the wooden box:
Ei65gLB.jpg
QHbQkQG.jpg

I've been looking into options for displaying the book since staring at the box itself isn't nearly as cool as this amazing looking book.

Other recent pickups include:

Insomnia - signed/limited; currently reading this book in paperback... but I might (carefully) read this one instead, a much nicer experience.
Misery - Cemetery Dance Artist Gift Edition; this is a beautiful book with amazing art! I recently read Misery for the first time and I've been really into it so I'm happy to have this one.
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands - signed/limited; Dark Tower books deserve a better signed / limited set than the Grant stuff.. this is pretty much the same as the trade 1st, with a signature/limitation page in a plain slip case. It's fine though because this book is a masterpiece

tTmGmA4.jpg
JjbOPZI.jpg

Since diving into the deep end on this stuff I've been pretty active on thedarktower.org forums (my username is sullichin there), wondering if anyone posts there and if not it's an amazing resource for this stuff. Especially if you ever think about buying a signed book that's not a limited edition... the people there will let you know if it's fake, and there's a LOT of fakes on ebay.

--

Anyway, re: Doctor Sleep. At first I was turned off on all of the imagery from the Kubrick movie in the trailer. It's probably my favorite movie ever, but seemed like it might be a cheap gimmick. Without spoiling anything, it seems like the Overlook in the Doctor Sleep movie has more of a focus in the movie than in the book. I then realized it's the same director as Gerald's Game, and I thought that came out great. Doctor Sleep is a weird book. I don't put it in the same league as The Shining but it's worth reading, and it's a worthy sequel. I really like Danny as an adult

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I too collect Stephen King, but in keeping with a theme (and the fact that I am in general an odd one) I only collect "found" material, thrift shops, library clearance, yard sales, on a bench in a park. Sure it's not worth much but it gives them a warm cozy feeling of continuity and living, a used through love sort of feel. And it's the only way to get a complete copy of the Bachman Books without jumping through more hoops than simply running across it.

I know it's weird and I would never argue otherwise.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
It's a nice edition! Although, the pages are pretty thin, and the gilded edges seem a little cheap (it rubbed a bit in my backpack)

Glad you bumped this thread, cause I got reallly into collecting SK right around the time of my last post. For years I've wanted the signed/limited The Stand in the 'coffin' case. I decided to finally get one and start building an actual collection.

The book in all its glory outside of its glassine wrapper and removed from the wooden box:

I've been looking into options for displaying the book since staring at the box itself isn't nearly as cool as this amazing looking book.

Other recent pickups include:

Insomnia - signed/limited; currently reading this book in paperback... but I might (carefully) read this one instead, a much nicer experience.
Misery - Cemetery Dance Artist Gift Edition; this is a beautiful book with amazing art! I recently read Misery for the first time and I've been really into it so I'm happy to have this one.
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands - signed/limited; Dark Tower books deserve a better signed / limited set than the Grant stuff.. this is pretty much the same as the trade 1st, with a signature/limitation page in a plain slip case. It's fine though because this book is a masterpiece

Nice, the only special version I have in my collection is a first edition Christine I got at Half Priced Books and didn't even realize it was first edition until I got home.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I really like these new covers

King-of-Halloween.jpg

But I wouldn't want to get em unless all his books were getting these covers, only 8 so far I believe.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Is the 11.22.63 TV series from Hulu worth watching? Not interested in reading the book, just the series.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I too collect Stephen King, but in keeping with a theme (and the fact that I am in general an odd one) I only collect "found" material, thrift shops, library clearance, yard sales, on a bench in a park. Sure it's not worth much but it gives them a warm cozy feeling of continuity and living, a used through love sort of feel. And it's the only way to get a complete copy of the Bachman Books without jumping through more hoops than simply running across it.

I know it's weird and I would never argue otherwise.
Nope it makes sense! And if you ever find a copy of Rage in a yardsale.....that would be FAR more satisfying than spending like a thousand dollars on a paperback, which I don't plan on doing lol

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is the 11.22.63 TV series from Hulu worth watching? Not interested in reading the book, just the series.
I would highly recommend it, both me and my mother thought it was excellent, both as fans of the book and it's ability to stand on its own. It's one of those adaptions that while it veers wildly from the source material they manage to capture the spirit of the original work perfectly and manage to say the exact same things.

Nope it makes sense! And if you ever find a copy of Rage in a yardsale.....that would be FAR more satisfying than spending like a thousand dollars on a paperback, which I don't plan on doing lol
Yeah, I have the Bachman books collection with Rage but I do always have an eye or three (both my mother and brother keep an eye out knowing how I collect King) for them all in singles, would especially love a copy of The Long Walk on its own.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
11/22/63 and Hearts in Atlantis got my best friend into Stephen King and because of those two books he's now a full blown horror fan. He even won a copy of Full Throttle by Joe Hill off Goodreads I'm pretty jealous because he's won books off there before and they've been signed he's so lucky. Next week I'm going to see IT and then on the 19th The Institute comes out and on the 26th I think Creepshow comes out on Shudder and on October 4th In The Tall Grass comes out on Netflix it's a good month and some change to be a King fan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
11/22/63 and Hearts in Atlantis got my best friend into Stephen King and because of those two books he's now a full blown horror fan. He even won a copy of Full Throttle by Joe Hill off Goodreads I'm pretty jealous because he's won books off there before and they've been signed he's so lucky. Next week I'm going to see IT and then on the 19th The Institute comes out and on the 26th I think Creepshow comes out on Shudder and on October 4th In The Tall Grass comes out on Netflix it's a good month and some change to be a King fan.

Ah speaking of Joe Hill, he's doing a book tour and I'm going to see him at Copperfield's Books in Petaluma CA in October.

May 17, 2018
Sad to hear that King's next book after The Institute is a return to the Holly Gibney series. Really not a fan of that character at all. Don't know why. I never finished The Outsider because she turned up and I stopped reading. How does it pan out?

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Ah speaking of Joe Hill, he's doing a book tour and I'm going to see him at Copperfield's Books in Petaluma CA in October.

That's awesome I'm so jealous. Speaking of Joe Hill I tried reading N0S4A2 again and I just can't get into I know it's a good book and I'm missing out but I just cannot get into it I've tired everything Audible reading the actual book the kindle version even tried watching the TV show I just can't do it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'm a good 40% of the way through 11/22/63, but I paused it for a moment to blow through some Discworld. Looking to pick it back up soon.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's awesome I'm so jealous. Speaking of Joe Hill I tried reading N0S4A2 again and I just can't get into I know it's a good book and I'm missing out but I just cannot get into it I've tired everything Audible reading the actual book the kindle version even tried watching the TV show I just can't do it.

No one could ask more of you. I found the audiobook very hard to get into, but glad I found a way to get past it lol

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
It's been said before but SK's descriptions of people here are pretty damn dated. There's no way he would write a book in 2019 and describe a black character with "coal black" skin. Or jazz music that "only black ears could hear". And for a book with so many characters from all around the country, everyone sure is white! If this mini series happens, there's tons of creative wiggle room to have a more diverse cast without affecting the story whatsoever, and it would honestly look straight up weird/unrealistic if they were depicted as homogeneous as the book. Mother Abigail being a cliche magical black woman could be changed without breaking the plot, but if she were just surrounded by a more diverse cast maybe she wouldn't stand out as such. I do love her character as is.
I'm going through a bit of a revisionist phase of King's work (mostly a critique of him coming to rely on his unique voice and style rather than using description; I'm not even sure if this is a bad thing, just something I've noticed in recent books), but I've always thought he adopted a weird tone with black or gay characters. He really leans into a Stepin Fetchit voice for some characters; Ritchie uses it even as an adult in IT and it's supposed to be funny. Maybe King knew someone in 1955 who said the phrase "sucks the root," but I doubt it's in much use even in Maine to the extent he writes it. I absolutely don't think that King is racist or bigoted, but when his characters are, he really seems to almost gleefully go overboard with stereotypes.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through a bit of a revisionist phase of King's work (mostly a critique of him coming to rely on his unique voice and style rather than using description; I'm not even sure if this is a bad thing, just something I've noticed in recent books), but I've always thought he adopted a weird tone with black or gay characters. He really leans into a Stepin Fetchit voice for some characters; Ritchie uses it even as an adult in IT and it's supposed to be funny. Maybe King knew someone in 1955 who said the phrase "sucks the root," but I doubt it's in much use even in Maine to the extent he writes it. I absolutely don't think that King is racist or bigoted, but when his characters are, he really seems to almost gleefully go overboard with stereotypes.
Agreed that it tends to be exaggerated.
Reminds me of this cool site which includes commonly re-used phrases across (most) of his books:

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't read every Stephen King novel. There are a few obscurities I've never made the effort to track down, and at least one of his more recent works (Dr. Sleep, coming to a theater near you) that I started, got bored with, and never finished. But I have read most of Stephen King's novels and short fiction, and I've read much of it more than once; the books I really love, I've been reading and rereading since I was 11 years old. I find it comforting to revisit some of these places where absolutely horrible things happen, but there is a certain inevitably of diminishing returns. It is a massive work, but I've read it so many times at this point that the story no longer holds any surprises for me. I look at the pages but I barely see the words—it's more like recognizing shapes.
Fortunately there's a way to get past this, and it's something that could also be of interest for people looking to get into King who don't have a ton of time to read: audiobooks. Much of King's body of work is available on audio format, and all of the really essential novels are easy to find online, provided you're willing to throw Audible.com a few bucks. (You've heard of Audible, it's the site they advertise on that podcast you like.) (UPDATE: a friend has just informed me that the public library audiobook app Overdrive has a lot of King on there as well.) The following list is in no way intended to be comprehensive, but if you're new to Stephen King, or just new to audiobooks in general, here are some recommendations (and warnings) to help get you on your way.

Where to start
Let's be honest—part of the charm of Stephen King is that he is now and has always been an accessible writer. You don't need to do much research to know what to read; if a premise appeals to you and it's well-regarded, it's worth a try. Still, there are some books that serve as better introductions than others, and that's doubly true of King's audiobook output. The following suggestions are well-paced, well-read, and comparatively short.
Firestarter, read by Dennis Boutsikaris
What's it about: A father and his daughter, both with extraordinary powers, try to escape the government agency obsessed with tracking them down.
Why it's good: Okay, so Firestarter is arguably mid-tier King, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it, as it's the first audiobook I bought. But it also works great in the format. The writing moves at a good clip, offering one of King's rare in media res openings before gradually filling in the tragic backstory of Andy and Charlie McGee. Boutsikaris, an actor you might remember seeing pop up on Better Call Saul recently, is a strong narrator, keeping things flowing and adding just enough variation in his delivery to make the characters authentic without falling into melodrama. (He sometimes leans too hard into wryness, but it's a minor sin, and one that I came to find endearing over time.) One of King's relatively rare dips into pure science fiction, this is a good place to get a sense of his work if you aren't up for the scarier stuff.

Salem's Lot, read by Ron McLarty
What's it about: A vampire takes over a small Maine town. Wackiness ensues.
Why it's good: This is, for my money, the platonic ideal of a Stephen King novel. His second published book, it has all the elements that would come to define his writing in the public eye: the gossiping locals, the noble, rational heroes facing terrible evil, the E.C. Comics-meets-Richard-Matheson setpieces. All it's lacking is a murderous clown. I'd read Salem's Lot a few times before listening to the audio version (I read all of these before listening to them) and always enjoyed it, but McLarty's measured, steady performance has made it an autumn staple for me. His voice sounds like someone you'd expect to hear narrating movie trailers in the '70s, authoritative and direct without becoming overbearing. More often than not, when the weather starts getting cooler and the leaves change, this is the audiobook I think of.

Skeleton Crew, read by various
What it's about: A short story collection that includes "The Mist," "The Raft," "The Jaunt," and "The Ballad Of The Flexible Bullet," among many others.
Why it's good: I'll admit to being more partial to King's novels, because part of the appeal for me has always been getting lost in them; his short fiction is more like getting shoved off a roller coaster at peak height. But the drop can be remarkable, and King has never pulled together a finer anthology of his work than this one. (Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are the highwater mark for his short story collections. SC wins by default because Night Shift's audio versions have been cut into smaller, pricier chunks; as of this writing, there's no easy way to get the complete collection online.) Lots of terrific stuff in here, much of it short, brutal, and terrifying, with only a couple of duds to skip over on the re-listen. There are multiple narrators as well: Will Patton, Paul Giamatti, Matthew Broderick, Michael C. Hall, Frances Sternhagen, Dylan Baker, Kyle Beltran, and so on. All do good to great work, and the stories are varied enough that it feels almost like anthology radio show, curated for your enjoyment.

On Writing, read by the author
What it's about: Stephen King, in his own words
Why it's good: Stephen King didn't become one of the most popular writers in the world solely because he could scare the bejeezus out of people. He's also a born raconteur, and On Writing is a rare and valuable opportunity to just listen to him talk for a while: about his life, about what he values in the work, and about what he thinks that work means in the grand scheme of things. His advice on fiction and prose is common sense and straight-forward, and his brief autobiography is charmingly personal and well-realized. It works well on the page, but this is a rare case where the audio version feels even more definitive than the printed one; listening to it is like hearing a long, but not long-winded, lecture delivered by a passionate and supportive creative writing teacher—one who encourages you to stretch your wings but not before learning the basics of gravity.

The Big Ones
The Stand, read by Grover Gardner
What it's about: a man-made virus brings about the end of human civilization. In its wake, the survivors come together in two camps, one led by the virtuous, god-fearing Mother Abigail, and the other by Randall Flagg, a.k.a. the Dark Man, a.k.a. The Walking Dude.
Why it's good: At 47 hours and 47 minutes, The Stand (complete and uncut; this is the revised version published 1990) is a major time commitment. Thankfully, it's one of King's best paced novels—a few road-bumps aside, the sucker moves in print and in performance, even in its "uncut" form. Grover Gardner does an absolutely fantastic job, keeping things simple throughout and never getting lost in the book's thousand-plus pages. At just shy of two full days of narration, it's a wonder that Gardner's voice never stops being a pleasure to listen to. Were it not for the length, this could serve as an excellent introduction to King, because large swaths of it (the first half especially) represent some of his best writing; his description of the accelerating breakdown of the United States is remarkable for its scope and efficiency. Not every section holds up to scrutiny, and there's some unfortunate (and seemingly inadvertent) racism and sexism in places. But, at least for me, the good outweighs the bad, and the simple fact that this audiobook exists, let alone works as well as it does, is an achievement.

It, read by Steven Weber
What it's about: In 1958, the Loser's Club takes on the monster that's killing children in Derry, Maine. Twenty-seven years later, they come back to finish the job.
Why it's (sort of) good: With the second part of the film adaptation hitting theaters soon, audiences may want to take a deeper dive into Derry, the evil clown who haunts her streets, and the kids (who become grown-ups) who try and stop it. Given the novel's length, the audio version is appealing; depending on your commute and job, it's probably easier to find time to listen to something than it would be to read it. But Weber's take on the material isn't my favorite, and I've avoided revisiting the audiobook after finishing it a few years ago. He's effectively scary in the bits that are supposed to be scary—and It is one of King's scariest novels—but he has the unfortunate actor tendency to lean into the book's more dramatic dialogue in a way that I found distracting and irritating. And while It is one of my favorite novels, it has some rough spots, most notoriously a pre-teen group sex scene in the final third that stands as one of the most bizarre (and off-putting and misguided) sequences in all of King's work. It's bad enough on the page; hearing it out loud just makes it worse.

The Dark Tower series, read by George Guidall, Frank Muller, and Stephen King
What it's about: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
Why it's… a lot of things: The Dark Tower series casts a long shadow over the rest of King's writing. It's too uneven and wildly inconsistent to be easy to recommend, and some of the latter entries, especially Song Of Susannah, are borderline unreadable, as massive chunks of unnecessary and overly complicated mythology bog down what started as an eerie chase through a dying world. The series was always as much about potential as it was about the actual narrative, featuring some of King's best characters caught up in time-jumping, universe-hopping adventures that perpetually promised greater revelations to come. It's not surprising that those revelations mostly landed with a thud, then, but for the curious, the audio versions of each book are well done, even if the best reading in the world can't make all of them go down easy. (Frank Muller died before completing the series, but George Guidal, who also reads the revised version of The Gunslinger, finishes the job well; King himself reads The Wind Through The Keyhole.)
Other notable works
If any of this appeals to you, you might also like:
The Shining, read by Campbell Scott
A haunted house tale that also features one of King's most upsetting (and best) portrayals of alcoholism and abuse, The Shining is an essential read; Scott (an actor I mostly associate with The Spanish Prisoner) has a dry, measured tone that really brings out the best in the material.

Different Seasons, read by Frank Muller
A collection of four novellas, three of which have been already been adapted into film, Different Seasons is an unusual book for King—only one of the novellas has an overtly supernatural element, and only two of them could be considered anything approaching horror. But the book serves as evidence that when he gets hold of a good story, King makes the most of it regardless of the genre. Muller does a great job making each segment feel like it has a distinct sound, from the old-timer yarn of "Rita Hayworth And Shawshank Redemption" to the skin-crawling psychodrama of "Apt Pupil," to the melancholy nostalgia of "The Body," to the elegiac horror of "The Breathing Method."

The Long Walk, read by Kirby Heyborne
This may be the King audiobook I've listened to the most often. It's stark as hell: A group of 18-year-old boys sets off on a walk across Maine. If they stop or fall below four miles an hour more than three times, they're shot and killed. The premise makes for a powerful allegory, but King keeps his focus on the reality of the situation throughout, creating one of the most purely direct thrillers in his entire bibliography. Kirby Heyborne does some great performance work with the book's large amount of dialogue, and his tone throughout—young, yearning, and increasingly tired—is a good fit for the main character. Be warned, though: King originally published this under his Richard Bachman pen name, and like all the Bachman books, it's very, very dark.
Bag Of Bones, Desperation, Needful Things, read by Stephen King
I have a soft spot for authors reading their own work. King doesn't have the most polished delivery and he's not much of an actor, but there's an honesty and authenticity to his performances that enhances the production for me. It doesn't hurt that I like all three of these novels quite a bit.
What to avoid
The Tommyknockers, read by Edward Herrmann
Insomnia, read by Eli Wallach

Herrmann and Wallach both have excellent narrator voices. It's a pity they didn't get better books to read. The Tommyknockers and Insomnia showcase the downside of King audiobooks; bad writing on the page is easy to skim, but bad writing being read aloud forces you to dwell on every unnecessary sentence, every meandering paragraph, and every clunky piece of dialogue. I wouldn't recommend either of these books in print (though Tommyknockers has its defenders), but in audio form they become downright unbearable. I could see using them in a creative writing class as abject lessons in what not to do, but for the casual listener, there are much better ways to spend your time. (Note: I haven't listened to the audiobook of Dreamcatcher. I read the novel. That was enough.)

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I personally thought Weber's narration was fantastic. I've listened to a few stephen king audiobooks including a couple also mentioned here and thought he was easily one of the best.

I'd also reccomend Pet Semetary, Michael C Hall does a great job with that.

I've been listening to IT and Weber does a great job in my opinion. I've warmed up to it.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I personally thought Weber's narration was fantastic. I've listened to a few stephen king audiobooks including a couple also mentioned here and thought he was easily one of the best.

I'd also reccomend Pet Semetary, Michael C Hall does a great job with that.
Me too, I'm a little surprised at the take in that article. To me, his voice is THE canonical pennywise. It's really a great way to read the book, and it gets downright intense when things really start to go down.

And that take on Song of Susannah... borderline unreadable... I can't agree with that. I actually like the DT ending though. I recently re-read the coda of Song of Susannah
with the fictional Stephen King diary
and it just reaffirmed that I'm totally on board with the direction the series took. The only complaint I have about SoS is that it feels more like an intro to book 7 than a good standalone story. It's hard for me to pick a favorite DT, but SoS would still rank last. I think Drawing or Waste Lands might be the best one

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Me too, I'm a little surprised at the take in that article. To me, his voice is THE canonical pennywise. It's really a great way to read the book, and it gets downright intense when things really start to go down.

And that take on Song of Susannah... borderline unreadable... I can't agree with that. I actually like the DT ending though. I recently re-read the coda of Song of Susannah
with the fictional Stephen King diary
and it just reaffirmed that I'm totally on board with the direction the series took. The only complaint I have about SoS is that it feels more like an intro to book 7 than a good standalone story. It's hard for me to pick a favorite DT, but SoS would still rank last. I think Drawing or Waste Lands might be the best one

Cant say I was a fan of the direction the series took post book 4, didn't hate though. SoS was my least favourite book in the series, though it still had some great stuff in there.

Book 4 is easily best book though.