• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which one? Wolves of the Calla? I can see it. With all the connections and meta stuff I'm sure it's a big hit. Dark Tower was basically the first thing I had ever read of King so a lot of that stuff was lost on me and the meta stuff mostly bothered me at the time.

I still have never read Wind through the Keyhole. I think I'm waiting until I go back and do a reread to go through that one.

Meant W&G, sorry.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Which one? Wolves of the Calla? I can see it. With all the connections and meta stuff I'm sure it's a big hit. Dark Tower was basically the first thing I had ever read of King so a lot of that stuff was lost on me and the meta stuff mostly bothered me at the time.

I still have never read Wind through the Keyhole. I think I'm waiting until I go back and do a reread to go through that one.
Last I checked W&G is considered to be the series high point (I would agree, though I am also really fond of The Drawing of the Three and The Dark Tower, and I actually like the series end for a multitude of reasons).

Conversely Song of Susannah is considered the worst and I agree and also I am personally not a fan of Wolves of the Calla.

As for the post wondering about Wind through the Keyhole it is supposed to be read after the series because while it's a flashback it also has references to the whole series.

Also want to point out that we (Stephen King fans as a whole) are always talking about connections and which of his non-Dark Tower related material should be read as part of it, occasionally even the question of how Dark Tower is it? (Case in point Insomnia, in my mind that is a part of the series even if it's not a numbered entry) And it always seems like people overlook the short story The Little Sisters of Eluria, which is not only an official part of the Dark Tower, it is also an entry I would personally rank in the elite tier.

Hell even the die hard Dark Tower fans don't touch the comics and they deal with a lot of stuff just touched or alluded in the books.

Hell2 I think the realization in Wind makes more sense in the context of the comics than the books alone.

And I don't agree Wind toyches on characters that by the end of book 4 you are well aware of.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hell even the die hard Dark Tower fans don't touch the comics and they deal with a lot of stuff just touched or alluded in the books.

Hell2 I think the realization in Wind makes more sense in the context of the comics than the books alone.

And I don't agree Wind toyches on characters that by the end of book 4 you are well aware of.
You may be right, I have not read that one in a while. And I have never read the comics, wanted to but tracking them down and then having the money to pay for them has not been easy.

And are they all actually written by King? The numbered novels, short story TLSOE, WTTK, and Insomnia all are, those are all "real" canon. If any of the comics are not written by him I know they are approved and may be good (as I said I would at least like to read them) but I personally wouldn't call them essential.

You may be right, I have not read that one in a while. And I have never read the comics, wanted to but tracking them down and then having the money to pay for them has not been easy.

And are they all actually written by King? The numbered novels, short story TLSOE, WTTK, and Insomnia all are, those are all "real" canon. If any of the comics are not written by him I know they are approved and may be good (as I said I would at least like to read them) but I personally wouldn't call them essential.
They are plotted by Robin Furth, the lore keeper in all things Dark Tower for King and King approves all things and all the themes there are by his inclusion.

And I mean I would def call the battle on Jericho Hill essential...

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
What did you guys think about Gerald's Game on Netflix?

I enjoyed it up until the ending -
the revelation that the Moonlight Man was just some psychopath kind of ruined it for me. I would have preferred that remain ambiguous. The weird need to resolve that plot doesn't feel justified by the rest of the story and kind of blunts the impact of the meeting with her younger self during the eclipse.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What did you guys think about Gerald's Game on Netflix?

I enjoyed it up until the ending -
the revelation that the Moonlight Man was just some psychopath kind of ruined it for me. I would have preferred that remain ambiguous. The weird need to resolve that plot doesn't feel justified by the rest of the story and kind of blunts the impact of the meeting with her younger self during the eclipse.
I didn't like that about the book either. When he was this weird gaunt man in the corner of the room with a basket full of jewels and hair I was on board. When I was getting an explanation about exactly who that is and why he looks like that, I was checked out.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone excited for Creepshow to premier tonight? It's supposed to come out at 3 am EST I'm staying up to watch.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not staying up to watch it but yes, I have been counting down all week it's my most anticipated show right now.

Yeah I've been really excited wth IT chapter 2 The Institute and Creepshow plus Castle Rock comes back next month and Joe Hills new book on the first of October it's a good time to be a King family fan.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is. Joe made a post on Facebook today of one of his new stories read by Neil Gaiman.

I saw that he always gets amazing people to narrate his stories Stephen Lang read Heart Shaped Box and it's incredible. I pre ordered Full Throttle today on Audible instead of just getting the book because of the list of narrators.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw that he always gets amazing people to narrate his stories Stephen Lang read Heart Shaped Box and it's incredible. I pre ordered Full Throttle today on Audible instead of just getting the book because of the list of narrators.
Yeah I am going audiobook too. The Gaiman thing excited me because I am currently listening to him read his own book on Norse Mythology and it may be some of the best Narration/reading I have ever heard, caveat that it is his own material but I can't see how reading stuff he is not as familiar with would be too much of a drop.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Creepshow it was a nice twist on Grey Matter and the second story in the episode is top notch very creepy.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Finished It this week. I recently saw It: Chapter Two and was subjected to the 1990 miniseries countless times as a kid, so I decided to finally read the novel.

I have to say I'm surprised by how closely to the novel the original miniseries hewed. I had assumed there would have been a lot of liberties, but nearly every scene in the miniseries is lifted pretty neatly from the source. Although I found it nearly impossible to not hear Tim Curry's voice whenever Pennywise was speaking.

I think both versions of the movie captured the characters fairly accurately, with the exception of Mike in the new movies, whose role was basically squashed into other characters. Richie may be the most annoying character ever written though. I don't know if it's King's sense of humor, but I just did not find him a charming or even likeable character. I also question the inclusion of the "Pickaninny" voice he does on occasion. I understand things were different when Amos and Andy were on the radio, but Richie still feels compelled to do that voice in the 1980s in the company of his black friend?

I think Beverly was actually one of the best developed of the Losers in the novel. Her relationship with Tom Rogan is a lot more interesting and complicated in the novel. The movies generally boil this relationship down to one of abuser and abused, but they really have more of a codependent relationship in the book at first, before Tom becomes a full on psychopath. I also found it interesting that she actually was living with her father AND her mother when was a kid, which I think they leave out in both adaptations.

I did appreciate a lot of the historical details that the novel supplied that you don't get in either film version. The interludes where Mike researches the various horrific episodes that have happened in Derry's past are what kept me hooked even when some of the rest of the book was a bit of a slog.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What is the consensus on Rose Madder ?
Im reading that one now and it has me by the balls, around half the story now

Its crude, nasty, a bit violent but you can't help but feel for Rosie as she slowly rebuilds her life with the help of a foundation for abused Women and a magical painting that gives her the strenght to go on, while she finds friendship and love in the most unlikely of places .she is scared of everything and everyone, but deep inside she also wants revenge on the one that harmed her for so many years.

Her husband is a depraved monster and every page filled with hatred and shittiness, its not for the easily fainted, but he comes off as a threatening villain, very different after the lame clowns in The Institute.

if some of the above sounds intriguing you could check it out

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the Pet Sematary audiobook last night. It's amazing, maybe my favorite King audiobook I've heard. Plus it's been a loong time since I read it and I appreciated it a lot more.

Now i'm like 90 pages into The Talisman. I think I'm making myself a goal of reading every King book that I haven't already read. Already read 5 or 6 of his books since August (some on audible). I've read so many of his books over the years and my favorites multiple times...but there is so much left

6 more hours until Full Throttle comes out I can't wait!

for those interested the signed trade version is still available from B&N (same price as regular trade)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Holly. I wish he would stop writing about her. She's a supporting character at best. When "If It Bleeds" comes out that'll be five novels/stories that she's appeared in. If I ever get into one of his events I'll ask—"Why? Out of all the characters you've created, why are you so stuck on Holly?"

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I watched In The Tall Grass loved it Netflix is killing it with these Stephen King movies. I'm also almost done with Full Throttle I'm loving that as well so far my favorite stories have been Faun, Dark Carnival and Throttle I also laughed at the story about the rich guy and the werewolves.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
FYI, Target is running a B2G1 sale on books and movies. I just ordered Pet Sematary, The Outsider and Doctor Sleep for a little less than 20 bucks.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
About halfway through The Talisman now. Loving it now. I feel it mostly reads like a King novel, and it's totally full of his tropes (it is 1984 after all). It starts pretty slow and I didn't like Jack, or his mother, very much at all at first. And you get these little tidbits early on that you know will be fleshed out later, but some of that felt off...it wasn't really stringing me along like my favorite King books, more dumping mystery on top of mystery without explaining the last thing before moving onto the next. It's worth it though! 200 pages in I was enjoying the journey fully and by the time the character Wolf was introduced, it's feeling like another classic.

King has a habit of writing super smart kids that are kinda hard to believe (harder for me to believe somehow, than interdimensional travel and werewolves lol). I felt the same way about Luke in The Institute. In both cases I had to spend more pages with the characters to understand and believe/imagine them fully. I feel like he LOVES doing this so he can say some shit 400 pages in like "He was a very smart child, but he was still only a child after all" lol. Every time.

I didn't really like In The Tall Grass movie. It felt long. I hear the
time travel stuff
isn't in the short story? I'll have to read it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
About halfway through The Talisman now. Loving it now. I feel it mostly reads like a King novel, and it's totally full of his tropes (it is 1984 after all). It starts pretty slow and I didn't like Jack, or his mother, very much at all at first. And you get these little tidbits early on that you know will be fleshed out later, but some of that felt off...it wasn't really stringing me along like my favorite King books, more dumping mystery on top of mystery without explaining the last thing before moving onto the next. It's worth it though! 200 pages in I was enjoying the journey fully and by the time the character Wolf was introduced, it's feeling like another classic.

King has a habit of writing super smart kids that are kinda hard to believe (harder for me to believe somehow, than interdimensional travel and werewolves lol). I felt the same way about Luke in The Institute. In both cases I had to spend more pages with the characters to understand and believe/imagine them fully. I feel like he LOVES doing this so he can say some shit 400 pages in like "He was a very smart child, but he was still only a child after all" lol. Every time.

I didn't really like In The Tall Grass movie. It felt long. I hear the time travel stuff isn't in the short story? I'll have to read it.

I haven't seen the movie In the Tall Grass, but the thing you mention isn't in the story.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm devouring Full Throttle. I adored 20th Century Ghosts, and this is a match for it so far- nothing quite so transcendent as Pop Art (perhaps my favourite short fiction I've ever read), but Late Returns is incredible, and Throttle and Dark Carousel are going to lodge in my head for a bit.
There's also a story in there inspired by a visit to Wolverhampton train station, which is just fucking weird for someone who grew up there.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm devouring Full Throttle. I adored 20th Century Ghosts, and this is a match for it so far- nothing quite so transcendent as Pop Art (perhaps my favourite short fiction I've ever read), but Late Returns is incredible, and Throttle and Dark Carousel are going to lodge in my head for a bit.
There's also a story in there inspired by a visit to Wolverhampton train station, which is just fucking weird for someone who grew up there.

I'm picking it up tomorrow at the place Joe. Hill did a signing. Hopefully there's some signed copies still available.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017

What did you think of Faun? I'm loving Late Returns and all the other stories you mentioned are great as well.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've only just read the introduction to Full Throttle is fucking beautiful. What a writer! Reading about his life and growing up as Stephen and Tabitha King's son was monumentally touching.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I just watched Maximum Overdrive for the first time... it was actually really enjoyable and I'm shocked how competent a film it is considering King directed it himself.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost done with Full Throttle I got kinda distracted by I Heard You Paint Houses I'm trying to finish it before the movie comes out next month.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I hate Holly. I wish he would stop writing about her. She's a supporting character at best. When "If It Bleeds" comes out that'll be five novels/stories that she's appeared in. If I ever get into one of his events I'll ask—"Why? Out of all the characters you've created, why are you so stuck on Holly?"

I really enjoy her on the Mr. Mercedes show.

I have no opinions on the books.

edit: I also hit the last chapter of the flashback portion of Wizard and Glass last night and I've really come around on the story. The book continuously tells you it doesn't end well and now I'm upset because it's not ending well.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Already being brought to series by David E Kelley. Network tbd, but probably some obscure streaming service, going off of his apparently very good Mr Mercedes series that no one has ever seen.

I'm only seeing this post now but I think the show is fantastic. It's hard to talk about it with anyone else because like you said nobody has seen it because it's only on a channel that's only on at&t's satellite service and streaming service. I checked it out on a whim because a friend had mentioned that it existed and I've been hooked.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoy her on the Mr. Mercedes show.

I have no opinions on the books.

edit: I also hit the last chapter of the flashback portion of Wizard and Glass last night and I've really come around on the story. The book continuously tells you it doesn't end well and now I'm upset because it's not ending well.
Yeah, you have to get over the hump, and it's quite the challenge (took me 2-3 tries myself) but once you do it's totally worth it and as I have said it now stands as my favorite DT book.

Glad it's working out for you, well, beyond the ending bad part. Even without the book itself telling you just the nature of it being a flashback and the present reality of Roland and his world is indication enough there was no other way it could go.
I'm only seeing this post now but I think the show is fantastic. It's hard to talk about it with anyone else because like you said nobody has seen it because it's only on a channel that's only on at&t's satellite service and streaming service. I checked it out on a whim because a friend had mentioned that it existed and I've been hooked.
Feel weird double replying both to you, but just wanted to ask is it really that good? I get Hoopla through my library which I primarily use for audiobooks but they have Mr. Mercedes in video rentals. I have been intrigued but it's limited borrows so I have been hesitant in using it for that especially since I don't know if a borrow covers the whole series or if it's per episode. But if it's really that good I might just have to take the hit and borrow it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care for the book, but this looks decent. Hopefully they cut out Holly since she's already in another show. Would be weird having two different actresses playing the same character in two current shows:

Edit: Spoke too soon. The black actress is Holly. That's an interesting twist.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't care for the book, but this looks decent. Hopefully they cut out Holly since she's already in another show. Would be weird having two different actresses playing the same character in two current shows:

It's HBO original so I am in regardless.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Yeah, you have to get over the hump, and it's quite the challenge (took me 2-3 tries myself) but once you do it's totally worth it and as I have said it now stands as my favorite DT book.

Glad it's working out for you, well, beyond the ending bad part. Even without the book itself telling you just the nature of it being a flashback and the present reality of Roland and his world is indication enough there was no other way it could go.

Feel weird double replying both to you, but just wanted to ask is it really that good? I get Hoopla through my library which I primarily use for audiobooks but they have Mr. Mercedes in video rentals. I have been intrigued but it's limited borrows so I have been hesitant in using it for that especially since I don't know if a borrow covers the whole series or if it's per episode. But if it's really that good I might just have to take the hit and borrow it.
I'd seriously consider looking into watching it if possible. I was only slightly disappointed by a certain aspect of season 2 but when I did some research I saw that it was following the book and let it slide. The cast is great and Brendan Gleeson kills it, check it out so I have more people to talk about it with.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

She also doesn't seem like she has any of Holly's issues, but maybe that's just because it's only a trailer and not much is shown.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd seriously consider looking into watching it if possible. I was only slightly disappointed by a certain aspect of season 2 but when I did some research I saw that it was following the book and let it slide. The cast is great and Brendan Gleeson kills it, check it out so I have more people to talk about it with.
Thanks for the reply, will check it out in the next week or so and post here after I have.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
This episode of Creepshow has been really solid first story had an awesome monster second one Tricia Helfer stars in always nice to see someone from BSG.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of yall's favorite horror stories that aren't by King? I really enjoyed In The House of the Worm by George R R Martin sadly it's out of publication and been pulled from all digital store fronts that I've checked it's a real shame too because most of George R R Martins stuff is out there to be bought but House of the Worm is gone you can't even buy a used copy of the book anymore.