• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So caught up with Castle Rock. As someone who loved the first season the second may be the best Stephen inspired thing I have seen. High octane and strung high like that George Stark fella. Using the 'Lot but without just going vampires( which makes sense if you know both Lot and Rock lore, satanism and pacts with the old ones). Definitley a cornucopia Of references but they use it to move the plot instead of just being nice Easter eggs like in season 1.

It could shit the bed but three episodes in I highly recommend this one.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
My friend is reading IT and she's skipping around in the book to get to the Pennywise chapters ugh she's the worst.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So caught up with Castle Rock. As someone who loved the first season the second may be the best Stephen inspired thing I have seen. High octane and strung high like that George Stark fella. Using the 'Lot but without just going vampires( which makes sense if you know both Lot and Rock lore, satanism and pacts with the old ones). Definitley a cornucopia Of references but they use it to move the plot instead of just being nice Easter eggs like in season 1.

Looking forward to start season two soon

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed on all accounts. It's fantastic.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Just read an article Creepshow is a huge hit for Shudder and it got renewed for season 2 hopefully this time with more episodes and a higher budget.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

wait

what

what the fuck

there's a castle rock season 2?!?!

wait

IT HAS LIZZY CAPLAN

what the fuck how did I not know

what the shit

anyway,

What I came in here to ask was, I'm working through IT via audiobook right now, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find King's thoughts on it in retrospect. I've heard a few things here and there, but I'd be interested in reading something directly from the man, and it's basically impossible at this point to dig up anything other than his thoughts on the movie.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up The Waste Lands and started Wizard and Glass today.

SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR, IN A WHILE CROCODILE, DON'T FORGET TO WRITE !

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Just finished Insomnia. I liked it a lot but it went off the rails in act 3.
I think this book deserves more attention. Great characters, good plot, and it give Darry a lot more time in the spot light.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Double post, but seriously, why aren't more people talking about this? Is there no OT? Recent episode was, yet again, heartbreaking.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
So...
Am I the only person who really struggled getting through The Institute? I found it completely boring, and it was written with almost no flair at all.

Oct 29, 2017
Not a Stephen king book but he recommended it on Twitter. Paul Tremblay's Cabin at the End of the World. Highly recommend it to King fans.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only tangentially related, but if your shudder subscriber keep an eye on your e-mails, they have a pretty in depth survey on what worked and what didn't for Creepshow season 1 and what you would like to see in season 2 and what from the first you want more/less of. Just a heads up, I already did mine.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is episode 6 up? I am also seriously loving this and feel like season 2 sets a high bar for King related content. My brother is waiting until it's done to watch so I am also waiting for that because I would love to hear his opinon.

Yes and it's incredible. I mean to the point where I was literally putting my hands on my head and yelling at the tv. My wife was freaking out too. Completely insane stuff.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes and it's incredible. I mean to the point where I was literally putting my hands on my head and yelling at the tv. My wife was freaking out too. Completely insane stuff.
Yeah it is really good, I'll probably watch the new episode tonight, it's one of the shows I like to be on top of, and I am truly loving it too not just because of the quality but The 'Lot (especially the short story of its beginning and it's connections to elder cosmic beings same as Castle Rock makes it one of my favorite-though underused-fictional Maine settings, especially as someone with connections to Maine with family and friends right in the exact area they would be if real locations).

It's also why I watch weekly and wish my brother would, this really needs to get renewed, and with the quality jump from S1 to S2 if it tracks season 3 should be the best King derived product ever.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even tho I am missing a lot of the references in Castle Rock S2, it's a really good season. Huge step up from last season and loving it. Everything is on point

You can like the show w/o being being a huge Stephen King fan too which is cool.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So...
Am I the only person who really struggled getting through The Institute? I found it completely boring, and it was written with almost no flair at all.
A little bit? The Institute itself isn't particularly interesting, and the whole small town cop angle is almost vestigial, but I thought the characters were across-the-board really good, and the escape sequence is the best passage King has written in many years.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even tho I am missing a lot of the references in Castle Rock S2, it's a really good season. Huge step up from last season and loving it. Everything is on point

You can like the show w/o being being a huge Stephen King fan too which is cool.
Yeah, at it's core this season has just been a really well made and damn finely written horror yarn, the King stuff as a King fan is some extra gravy, but it's just damn fine to begin with.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Revival elevates the book for me. I'm going to read it again once the Letterpress Publications edition finally comes out, the art looks amazing.

Read a few more since my last post here (I think): Rage, Finder's Keepers, Firestarter, reading End of Watch now.

Rage - completely unbelievable story, I just can't buy how the class reacts to the whole scenario. Also all of his descriptions/similes don't land as well for me when it's in first person.

Finder's Keepers - if the first half of EOW is any indication, Finder's Keepers is the best book in the Bill Hodges trilogy. I think it comes close to classic King level just in terms of story telling and suspense, with the ending spiraling at you from the perspective of a few characters. I wound up liking this a lot more than I thought when I first started. My only real complaint is that the story barely needs Bill or Holly. It could have been a standalone thing. But it's not worse for their inclusion

Firestarter - does the above well too. It's very similar to The Institute structurally. The Institute even has a character that the reader might first think is a Rainbird type ("good cop" trying to trick the prisoner), but
she's actually just on Luke's side
in The Institute. The book is at its best when Andy and Charlie are on the run from The Shop, imo. It loses a little bit of steam in the back third but it has a good ending and great scenes in the last third (the garbage disposal!). The ending is telegraphed in that King way where you pretty much know what's coming but it's very exciting to read it all play out.

End Of Watch - SK cannot write black characters lol. I do like that in the third book of the trilogy he decides to ditch the realism and go full King with mind control/influence. I'm entertained. I like Bill and Holly. Out of all the more modern King books I've read, this trilogy seems to have the biggest problem with natural sounding dialogue. There were a few lines in The Institute that made me blink but I think it's worse here, pretty much any time technology is mentioned is the big culprit.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have always really liked Firestarter, though it's rare I like when King dabbles in Science-Fiction which is where I would classify that book.

Also none of the adaptions really did it for me, that's a big budget re-adaption just waiting to happen, would love to see a new take from someone like Darabont or Flanagan, or at least someone like them that actually gets and understands King and can translate it well.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Double Post, ran into a server issue on my end and it did that on Era's end.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I have always really liked Firestarter, though it's rare I like when King dabbles in Science-Fiction which is where I would classify that book.

Also none of the adaptions really did it for me, that's a big budget re-adaption just waiting to happen, would love to see a new take from someone like Darabont or Flanagan, or at least someone like them that actually gets and understands King and can translate it well.
I've never seen the movie but after reading the book I thought it would make a great limited series. You can definitely see how Stranger Things was inspired by it

It's Sci Fi suspsense, not really horror, so it's funny seeing dust jacket quotes trying to sell it like straight horror, like all SK

Harpua

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some recommendations. Just got into King recently with the DT series and have since plowed through Salem's Lot, The Stand and 11/22/63 (wrapping it up this week).

The Stand may be one of my favorite books of all-time. Hoping to find some more books with DT tie-ins if possible, but really looking for the next adventure after 11/22/63.

Any recommends would be appreciated.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some recommendations. Just got into King recently with the DT series and have since plowed through Salem's Lot, The Stand and 11/22/63 (wrapping it up this week).

The Stand may be one of my favorite books of all-time. Hoping to find some more books with DT tie-ins if possible, but really looking for the next adventure after 11/22/63.

DT Related -
Insomnia (probably slightly more rewarding if you've read IT first)
The Talisman
Eyes of the Dragon (more RF)

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Insomnia but be forewarned, you will either hate it thinking of it as an aimless doorstop or you will join the club (I am a member) of folk that think it's brilliant and the secret best DT book. Either way don't really see many middle ground opinions on that one, and as I said I am a member of the think it's brilliant club so I always suggest people read it themselves to find out if they like it instead of just taking the negative reviews as fact.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like Insomnia it is. Thanks guys.
Good luck. If you don't like it there is no shame in dropping it either. Like I said even though I recommended it is it's a love it or hate it book and it's long. So if you don't like it on page 200 your going to hate it at page 800. And I think it's longer than that, it's a IT, Stand Unabridged length novel.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Insomnia is a really hard book to get through. It's just unnecessarily long.

Harpua

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and if you don't enjoy it ( I enjoyed it and agree it's too long both my previous posts mention that) so if you don't, not sure your complete opinion, it must be an endless pain to read.

I have no problems dropping a book I don't enjoy. I'm just debating if there is any benefit in reading It first.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no problems dropping a book I don't enjoy. I'm just debating if there is any benefit in reading It first.
Gotcha, like I said I would at least give it a shot because you can drop it, but if you do like it you might love it and think it's epic, a lot of the people who like really like it and if you enjoy most other King you have read it's worth a shot.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Insomnia it is. Thanks guys.

You're taking some extremely suspect advice! At least you were warned that there was a "club" of people that hate it... probably should've mentioned that the hate club is about a hundred times larger than the the love one.

I do think it's great that there are people in here who like it (variety is the spice of life, after all), but it's... definitely not what I would recommend to someone just getting into King.

Try a consensus classic like The Tommyknockers, instead.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're taking some extremely suspect advice! At least you were warned that there was a "club" of people that hate it... probably should've mentioned that the hate club is about a hundred times larger than the the love one.

I do think it's great that there are people in here who like it (variety is the spice of life, after all), but it's... definitely not what I would recommend to someone just getting into King.

Try a consensus classic like The Tommyknockers, instead.
I never said the haters were a small club, and only revered to those who like it as a club but it's not universally panned and those who like it like it a lot usually.

And then to recommend the Tommyknockers?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Tommyknockers thing has to be a joke. It feels more like a less talented writer trying to ape a King epic. Definitely not a "consensus classic".

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Don't read Tommyknockers or Insomnia until you're running low on other King to read

Maybe give Needful Things a go if you want something from the same era