• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Castle Rock season 1 should open with a warning label this season is nonsense but we totally save it in season 2 so please skip to the last two episodes of season 1. I did think of one part I really did like the murder couple they were super creepy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Castle Rock season 1 should open with a warning label this season is nonsense but we totally save it in season 2 so please skip to the last two episodes of season 1. I did think of one part I really did like the murder couple they were super creepy.

I really liked S1 but S2 is on another level.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I fell off Wolves of the Calla for a bit while I was busy with work and getting ready for Thanksgiving and I started it back up and I'm maybe 100 or so pages from finishing it but man, the pacing in this book is so weird. The first 3/4 of the book take place over like a week or even less and then suddenly we're skipping weeks at a time and making a full blown sprint to the end. I was told that kind of pacing continues through the next couple of books which I'm perfectly fine with it's just how fast the story switches threw me for a loop.

edit: On the Castle Rock front it's kind of ridiculous how much better season 2 is than 1 and I really liked season 1.
I thought it was going to be revealed that this season was a prequel to season 1 but then that got destroyed when they mentioned Pangborn and the dead Warden. As it was building up and they were starting to reveal a bit more I started getting the idea in my head and was getting excited hoping it was true but then it wasn't :(. It's still a fantastic season though and I love that it's basically a Stephen King sandbox and they're doing whatever they want with the world and characters

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I fell off Wolves of the Calla for a bit while I was busy with work and getting ready for Thanksgiving and I started it back up and I'm maybe 100 or so pages from finishing it but man, the pacing in this book is so weird. The first 3/4 of the book take place over like a week or even less and then suddenly we're skipping weeks at a time and making a full blown sprint to the end. I was told that kind of pacing continues through the next couple of books which I'm perfectly fine with it's just how fast the story switches threw me for a loop.

Agreed with this-and that cliffhanger is phenomenal.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw an amazing movie called Daniel Isn't Real super freaky reminded me of The Dark Half pretty awesome had some freaky scenes. It's based on a book called In This Way I Was Saved it's about a guy and his imaginary friend who isn't happy staying imaginary anymore.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play Typing of the Dead Overkill on Steam?

I made a custom Stephen King dictionary for the game. It's got hundreds of words, phrases, names, places from various Stephen King books

Download here:

304E15BC0FA748F6803AF1039CE0F8A09D6DA2CD

706A893404241256AFA86CA5C585DDBABEBB71F8

B9971E43AAE6FD199D6EF87CE7B95A78173A83A0

8832FA20CFD2F8358403D4FB800B0468693CBBCF

Rediscovered this game when I randomly thought of it to show my friend. It's such an awesome game, don't know why I never missed with custom dictionaries before, having a lot of fun with this. Hope other King fans can enjoy!

Anyone play Typing of the Dead Overkill on Steam?

I made a custom Stephen King dictionary for the game. It's got hundreds of words, phrases, names, places from various Stephen King books

Download here:

304E15BC0FA748F6803AF1039CE0F8A09D6DA2CD

706A893404241256AFA86CA5C585DDBABEBB71F8

B9971E43AAE6FD199D6EF87CE7B95A78173A83A0

8832FA20CFD2F8358403D4FB800B0468693CBBCF

Rediscovered this game when I randomly thought of it to show my friend. It's such an awesome game, don't know why I never missed with custom dictionaries before, having a lot of fun with this. Hope other King fans can enjoy!

awesome costume, thanks for doing this.

I'm 500+ pages jnto Dark Tower VII and it's pretty excellent.

excellent taste!

Will you do the real ending or keep on reading the false ending...?

(totally not biased question)

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I got Song of Susannah and the Dark Tower for Christmas and I was totally not expecting Song to be as small as it is. It's a pretty breezy read so far (not that I'm super far) I'm hoping to have it mostly done while I'm flying over the next week.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I got Song of Susannah and the Dark Tower for Christmas and I was totally not expecting Song to be as small as it is. It's a pretty breezy read so far (not that I'm super far) I'm hoping to have it mostly done while I'm flying over the next week.

When that one character appears in the book it killed my interest in the entire series. I should check out some of the spinoffs (wind through the keyhole) as I heard they were pretty good. The last three books of the dark tower are in a massive need of a rewrite/reedit kinda like what he did with the gunslinger.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
When that one character appears in the book it killed my interest in the entire series. I should check out some of the spinoffs (wind through the keyhole) as I heard they were pretty good. The last three books of the dark tower are in a massive need of a rewrite/reedit kinda like what he did with the gunslinger.

I assume you're talking about
King himself?
I was aware of that appearance well before reading even the first book.

I had no issues with Wolves honestly. I'll come back when I finish this book and see how I feel.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I assume you're talking about
King himself?
I was aware of that appearance well before reading even the first book.

I had no issues with Wolves honestly. I'll come back when I finish this book and see how I feel.

Yeah, and tbh it's probably best you knew he was going to be in the book beforehand... when I was reading it it came completely out of left field, and not in a good way. Definitely came off as a jumped the shark moment to me.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'm about 60% of the way through 11/22/63. What an interesting book! I'm really glad I got back into it. I'm super interested into where this story is going. (And I swear if someone develops psychic powers or something right near the end, I'm launching King into the sun.)

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
it is not a spinoff it slots right in the middle of the books and deals with a part that King explored more in the comics.

NO NO NO NO the rewrite ruined The Gunslinger.
No way, the rewrite was a lot better. Either way, the last three dark tower books were CLEARLY rushed. I even think he admitted to it himself?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I also really hated that part of the books. Like it was a WTF I almost want to stop reading this shit moment. Glad I didn't and finished it.

Even though I think that is dumb I still really like the series as a whole.

Eddie is one of my favorite characters in fiction. Putting someone from the 80s in the book is such a clever way of making all the crazy shit that happens in the book super relatable to the reader. I think his story and Matt Cauthon's story in Wheel of Time are two of my favorite character arcs in any medium.

No way, the rewrite was a lot better. Either way, the last three dark tower books were CLEARLY rushed. I even think he admitted to it himself?

Hard disagree in all of this. The rewrite makes Roland a good person missing completely the point of the first book.

The only reason he finished the series is because he wrote what he wrote, it was his therapy.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Hard disagree in all of this. The rewrite makes Roland a good person missing completely the point of the first book.

The only reason he finished the series is because he wrote what he wrote, it was his therapy.

I'm pretty sure he was scared of dying/leaving the series unfinished so he rushed them out.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The rewrite of Gunslinger is a MASSIVELY superior book than the original. The original was very very boring.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I also really hated that part of the books. Like it was a WTF I almost want to stop reading this shit moment. Glad I didn't and finished it.

Even though I think that is dumb I still really like the series as a whole.

Eddie is one of my favorite characters in fiction. Putting someone from the 80s in the book is such a clever way of making all the crazy shit that happens in the book super relatable to the reader. I think his story and Matt Cauthon's story in Wheel of Time are two of my favorite character arcs in any medium.

I agree with you about Eddie. He's my favorite character and in the final book
I cried and was devastated when he died.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you about Eddie. He's my favorite character and in the final book
I cried and was devastated when he died.
Yeah that death was rough. Not just because Eddie was such an awesome character, but also because the series can really drag when he is not around.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm about 60% of the way through 11/22/63. What an interesting book! I'm really glad I got back into it. I'm super interested into where this story is going. (And I swear if someone develops psychic powers or something right near the end, I'm launching King into the sun.)
I really liked 11/22/63, although it suffers from typical King syndrome of being a bit too long in the second act and then having a bit of a rushed third act. But to be honest, King has always been great at inhabiting a place and letting things meander along, and his writing is good enough to keep me interested - especially when he's writing about that particular time period.

I read The Outsider recently, though, and it was absolute fucking shit. Woeful.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked 11/22/63, although it suffers from typical King syndrome of being a bit too long in the second act and then having a bit of a rushed third act. But to be honest, King has always been great at inhabiting a place and letting things meander along, and his writing is good enough to keep me interested - especially when he's writing about that particular time period.

I liked The Outsider until
Terry died pretty early on
. I think Jason Bateman is a great choice to play Terry in the mini series but I wouldn't mind if they change the structure around a little. The book suffers from Holly's detective work into folklore basically being some lore dump that explains the villain to a tee.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone read the outsider? I'm excited for the show and i was looking for some spoiler free impressions
Haha, excellent timing of our two posts there!

It's rubbish. King completely going through the motions, phoning it in. I'm not at all convinced by King's attempts to write police procedurals, and even less so by his attempts to combine that with his more traditional horror fare.

The thing is, the first act of The Outsider is actually decent - King excels at "everyman" characters going about their lives, but the whole thing falls apart rapidly. And his bizarre insistence on including modern cultural reference points is horribly jarring - there's a point at which a character looks up how to get somewhere on the internet and (I don't have the book to hand, so I'll paraphrase) King writes "She switched on her portable laptop and clicked on the MapQuest icon. Other map software was available but she found MapQuest gave the most accurate directions."

And if he never writes another book featuring the characters from Mr Mercedes, it'll be too soon.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018

For me - so far - the part that drug the most was up until Oswald actually entered the book. The opening sort of reminded me of watching reruns of The Twilight Zone where they had to introduce a sci-fi/fantasy concept really slowly because audiences in the 50s weren't used to all these concepts yet so much. I'm really rolling with it right now.

And I've definitely enjoyed the time period pieces! Don't get me wrong. I just wanted things to get actually going a bit faster.

The last thing that happened was
Sadie's ex-husband has shown up and Jake is on his way there
. Some of that stuff was a little dull to me before, but I'm really invested in that plot right now.

In any event, I'm definitely looking forward to finishing the remainder of this book! Sounds like I should pass on The Outsider, though, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
For me - so far - the part that drug the most was up until Oswald actually entered the book. The opening sort of reminded me of watching reruns of The Twilight Zone where they had to introduce a sci-fi/fantasy concept really slowly because audiences in the 50s weren't used to all these concepts yet so much. I'm really rolling with it right now.

And I've definitely enjoyed the time period pieces! Don't get me wrong. I just wanted things to get actually going a bit faster.

The last thing that happened was
Sadie's ex-husband has shown up and Jake is on his way there
. Some of that stuff was a little dull to me before, but I'm really invested in that plot right now.

In any event, I'm definitely looking forward to finishing the remainder of this book! Sounds like I should pass on The Outsider, though, lol.

For me the Oswald stuff was the part of the book that interested me the least. I loved all the stuff at the beginning, especially visiting Derry again!

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Oh yeah! I definitely liked seeing Derry, and especially the effect it had on Jake.

After watching the miniseries and finding out he goes to Derry in the book I became much more interested in reading it. I took it out from the library but honestly made no headway in it. I'd love to try again sometime now that I'm reading regularly again.

woah wait so how do I get a hold of the real ending? I have the latest edition that came out after the 2017 movie. It's aSeries of redone covers.
lol is a joke as I said I am biased for me the real ending is the first one, King says as much.

The other ending is after that and it is introduced diferent hell my edition I think comes after the childe poem.