• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading through Doctor Sleep and I have a big complaint about a part of the story.

When Crow Daddy kidnaps Abra and knocks out Billy he takes Billy's truck. Billy is unconscious for the trip Clearly this means that at some point Billy will be part of Abra's rescue. Why didn't Crow Daddy just kill Billy? It just seems very unlike him.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Doctor Sleep and I loved it. The ending was beautiful and it made me cry.
Dan receiving his 15 year chip and his speech. Then talking to Abra about their family's history of addiction and violence. Powerful stuff.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 60% of the way through 11/22/63. What an interesting book! I'm really glad I got back into it. I'm super interested into where this story is going. (And I swear if someone develops psychic powers or something right near the end, I'm launching King into the sun.)
I'm reading this now and I'm also about 60% in. This is one of the longer books I was putting off because I wasn't super interested in the concept on paper. I'm liking it way more than I thought, it's a great story.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Dark tower vii was excellent. What an ending. Like to believe the horn of eld was a sign things will change next cycle.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I started reading The Dead Zone and oh my, feels like another King novel I'm going to absolutely love.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
i think the only spoiler is that a character from that trilogy is in The Outsider. I would imagine that they don't reference it in the HBO series for the sake of simplicity.

The only reason I could see them mentioning it is they own the rights to Mr Mercedes but they canceled that show I think so I doubt they mention it.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
My updated collection moved to a new book case, including today's new arrival, the Letterpess Pub edition of Revival. It's an awesome book!

5v2iFQe.jpg

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
Just saw the first two episodes of The Outsider. The first episode is great and had me completely hooked, but the second one is pretty bad and has pretty much killed my interest for the whole series.
I have not read the book and I'm guessing that they're just following it, but did they really have to kill Jason Bateman's character. He seemed like the crux of the whole show - with him gone it feels pretty much pointless.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great to see all the Revival love. Recommend that one whenever I get the chance.
Me too, it felt like an early King book in plot, atmosphere, themes, even book length that would have fit in well with Carrie, Salem's Lot, Dead Zone. However it also has everything he has learned in the decades of writing applied to it in a way that young King couldn't have written that, at least not as effectively as he did and it's one of the few modern classic Lovecraftian tales that actually gave me chills.

Top Shelf.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Couple pics of that Revival:
ciiQSWQ.jpg

Ulsz0L9.jpg

It really is up there for me. There's structural & thematic similarities to Dead Zone (his other works too) but those two make good back to back reads. Excited to read the Josh Boone introduction in this (he's directing a movie adaptation) and the Bev Vincent essay.

80% through 11/22/63 now and it's still great. There was a little hiccup I didn't love --
where Jake has amnesia after getting beat up
but I get it, it adds some tension. it's back on track now and I'll probably blast through the rest tonight. I only listened to a couple hours of the audiobook version but that's really good too.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that looks great. I should start looking into these special editions. How would I even know when they are coming?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that looks great. I should start looking into these special editions. How would I even know when they are coming?

I follow the thedarktower.org forums. The people there are really into collecting. I had to read a lot about what's out there and what good secondhand prices are because there's a ton of stuff. skcollector.com is a good resource. There's usually small print runs. And say the run is numbered 1-1200. A few publishers let buyers have first refusal on their same number if they've bought another book from them. Which makes it pretty frustrating when a new book goes on sale and it's snatched up by the same 1,200 people again

I've been waiting for Revival since august, it's from a new publisher, but I somehow missed the preorder and had to get it on another site (thankfully they had it retail price).

Some publishers to look out for-

Cemetery Dance - they'll have a limited The Stand sometime this year. I hope it's not impossible to get. They have a version of Night Shift coming out that I think sold out years ago and still isn't out.

Suntup - don't know if they have a new King planned, but their books are amazing. I have their "gift" (cheapest) edition of Misery and it's one of the nicest books I have. The lettered edition (most expensive, thousands) has goddamn royal typewriter keys embedded into the cover.

Letterpress - they might announce their second book this year

PS Publishing - UK publisher

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

That sucks, on paper a series mostly based on WaG is pretty promising. And it sounds like there was already a ton of work put into it. Hopefully Glen Mazzara can get the pilot looked at elsewhere.

Reading updates - finished 11/22/63, really great book, might be somewhere in my top 10 SK now. I love how it has SK style written all over it but the genre feels kinda unique for him. It's like...historical suspense fiction...romance? Closest I can think of is Dead Zone (some historical fiction here, a well-meaning character, an asassination plot, clairvoyance instead of time travel) + Revival's way of telling the story (first person, main character recounting earlier events) but it really feels like its own thing for SK.

I'm like 110 pages into Cujo now. It took ~90 pages for Cujo to just growl at someone :P I thought it was interesting how the book basically opens up with fairly big spoilers for Dead Zone.

I've been reading so much King lately that the characters and words and descriptions in Cujo so far just feel like a pastiche of SK tropes. Not necessarily a bad thing, these are things he does well, but it might be lacking in some individual flavor to make it stand out. Only 25% in though

Oct 28, 2017
Couple pics of that Revival:
ciiQSWQ.jpg

Ulsz0L9.jpg

It really is up there for me. There's structural & thematic similarities to Dead Zone (his other works too) but those two make good back to back reads. Excited to read the Josh Boone introduction in this (he's directing a movie adaptation) and the Bev Vincent essay.

80% through 11/22/63 now and it's still great. There was a little hiccup I didn't love --
where Jake has amnesia after getting beat up
but I get it, it adds some tension. it's back on track now and I'll probably blast through the rest tonight. I only listened to a couple hours of the audiobook version but that's really good too.
Have to admit that I'm a little jealous. I'm still waiting for my copy to ship. Looks gorgeous.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Have to admit that I'm a little jealous. I'm still waiting for my copy to ship. Looks gorgeous.
Mine was from Camelot Books. It sounds like the other sellers (Cemetery Dance at least) were a little behind and shipping out other stuff before they got to it.
I think this was the first book I followed from announcement to release, and it really takes forever for these things to come out

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got the Outsider audiobook and I still don't like it even though the narrator is amazing the book is just weak. I don't get it King knocks it out of the park everytime he writes a short story or a novella but his full length books have been so hit or miss lately.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had never read any King. Just finished Mr Mercedes and really loved it.

What next? I have a copy of The Stand I bought years ago but have been too intimidated by its size.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017

What next? I have a copy of The Stand I bought years ago but have been too intimidated by its size.

The Stand is great if you wanna read something more recent everyone loves Revival and 11/22/63 or if you want short stories all his recent collections are good.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If you liked Mr. Mercedes you should read Finders, Keepers and End of Watch since as was noted it's a trilogy.

As for the stand, top tier and you should read it, but if you do read the uncut version, it's the preferred text.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you liked Mr. Mercedes you should read Finders, Keepers and End of Watch since as was noted it's a trilogy.

As for the stand, top tier and you should read it, but if you do read the uncut version, it's the preferred text.

I've heard mixed reactions to Finders Keepers. Should I skip to End of Watch or is it worth a read?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard mixed reactions to Finders Keepers. Should I skip to End of Watch or is it worth a read?

You can skip it and not miss much. It doesn't really concern Brady at all and Hodges doesn't show up until a little more or less than halfway through the book. It's more about another branch of how the Mercedes killing impacted another group of chracters.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
I decided I'm going to start reading Revival today. I hear nothing but great things. Will post my thoughts when I'm done.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has thought about reading The Dark Tower and wanted a podcast to go along with it the show Kingslingers just recently started and finished The Gunslinger. The hosts are two guys who've done a lot of deep analysis on books and movies on their podcast Doofcast and We've Got Ward. One of the hosts is a huge King fan and has read the books, the other hasn't so they're going through it like a first time read.

Just thought I'd recommend here as it's got me contemplating a reread as this podcast made me realize something about the end of the series that completely blew my mind and made it even better than I already thought it was.

Oct 28, 2017
Barnes and Noble also has a bloody exclusive available now for anyone interested
screen-shot-2019-11-18-at-10.38.34-am.png
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-pop-icons-stephen-king-w-axe-and-book-b-n-exclusive

Mine was from Camelot Books. It sounds like the other sellers (Cemetery Dance at least) were a little behind and shipping out other stuff before they got to it.
I think this was the first book I followed from announcement to release, and it really takes forever for these things to come out
My copy finally arrived this week from Cemetery Dance. Took them long enough. What a beautiful book.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to the Mr. Mercedes audiobook now and I love it. I've completely come around on Will Patton as a narrator. He's great.

Also-Brady. What a total creep.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
My copy finally arrived this week from Cemetery Dance. Took them long enough. What a beautiful book.
Nice! I keep staring at mine lol. If I had one complaint, I'm not a big fan of the printed marble endpapers, you can tell they're printed on (at a not super high resolution). I mentioned this on TDT forums and the guy who runs Letterpress (Brian James Freeman) responded and acknowledged there was a problem there:

Brian James Freeman from Letterpress Publications said:
I agree about the printing issue with the endpapers. The proof was crystal clear, but the printer used the wrong version of the file when it came time to actually print the endpapers and no one on their end noticed. By the time I received the final approval copies for the book, all 1500 copies were bound and ready to ship to the slipcase maker, so I decided it was better to keep moving since it wasn't a structural problem or something catastrophic.

Really minor complaint, just found that interesting & cool that he's aware of it for the next book. I'm no expert but to me LP Revival is already just as nice as some of the more expensive signed/numbered editions. It doesn't sound like their next book will be King (maybe, he just said "NYT Bestseller") but I'm still interested.

On the subject of non-King special editions...Suntup announced their edition of Red Dragon by Thomas Harris:

suntup.press

Red Dragon - Suntup Editions

Hailed by critics as “gruesome, graphic, and all too realistic,” Red Dragon by Thomas Harris was first published in 1981 and marked a turning point in the way crime novels were written. The first novel in the widely acclaimed Hannibal Lecter series, Red Dragon added a sense of realism to the...

I caved was able to grab the numbered edition right before it sold out. The gift edition is still available (with its fantastic dust jacket art)

I'm listening to the Mr. Mercedes audiobook now and I love it. I've completely come around on Will Patton as a narrator. He's great.

Also-Brady. What a total creep.
He is great! Usually if i'm switching between Kindle or physical book and audio, I lean toward reading it when I can and listening when I'm walking around and stuff. But multiple times in Finders/End of Watch (I don't have the first one on audio), i'd stop reading so I could hear him read the current chapter instead. He really elevates Hodges' character in particular and his narration just make the story feel more foreboding and serious or something

If anyone has thought about reading The Dark Tower and wanted a podcast to go along with it the show Kingslingers just recently started and finished The Gunslinger. The hosts are two guys who've done a lot of deep analysis on books and movies on their podcast Doofcast and We've Got Ward. One of the hosts is a huge King fan and has read the books, the other hasn't so they're going through it like a first time read.

Just thought I'd recommend here as it's got me contemplating a reread as this podcast made me realize something about the end of the series that completely blew my mind and made it even better than I already thought it was.

Nice I'll check this out. The only SK podcast I got into was The Losers Club. They're pretty fun to listen to after finishing a book

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He is great! Usually if i'm switching between Kindle or physical book and audio, I lean toward reading it when I can and listening when I'm walking around and stuff. But multiple times in Finders/End of Watch (I don't have the first one on audio), i'd stop reading so I could hear him read the current chapter instead. He really elevates Hodges' character in particular and his narration just make the story feel more foreboding and serious or something

I absolutely feel the same way. I love how he even has a different style of narration when its a Brady chapter vs a Hodges chapter. He's a true talent-and a fellow Carolinian from what I can see!

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a Stephen King podcast I could listen to-but I'm a pain in the ass and I'm very particular. I just started pulled up an episode of "The Losers Club" (great name) but it seems like every episode starts with this obnoxious song - and it's really difficult for me to deal with that-even if I manually skip it. I know this is a "me problem"

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My friend has been listening to the Dark Tower audiobooks FINALLY after only about 20 years of me pleading with him. He's in love with them-but has now gotten to Wizard and Glass-and he feels it's ground the momentum to a halt. I told him I felt the exact same way - and you have to stick with it. In the end-it's probably the best DT book.

Edit: I thought that Audible had versions of The Dark Tower audiobooks up that were narrated by King himself - but now I don't see them...are they regional?

Last edited: