• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
- the bat shit annoying religious lady who won't shut up

- the annoying arrogant NY lawyer

- people unable to light a mop for some reason which they blame on child proof lighters

- the old lady unable to grab Billy inches away from her as she reaches for him but is unable to move for some reason

- the prick teenager bagger who demands to go outside to unclog the generator that they don't even need, just because…

- 8,000 bags of dog food stocked up against the window. Why would a small town store have that much dog food?

This was a struggle of a movie to get through

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
One of those weird, not very good flicks the internet props up. See also: Dredd.

don't take that last part too serious, just venting a little

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The 10th Dentist

Ooo i liked Dredd ♫
A lot of people do, but I hated it lol, and I'm sooooo tired of the reddit 'le hidden gem' thing it has going on >.>
The movie-original ending is significantly worse than in the story. I don't care that even King himself prefers it. I love the ambiguity it ends on. Aside from that it's a great adaptation.
Not related to The Mist, but in a similar vein, I'm not a fan of Palahniuk saying the same thing about Fight Club. Own up to your own better ending bro :P!

Mar 21, 2018
The movie-original ending is significantly worse than in the story. I don't care that even King himself prefers it. I love the ambiguity the original ends on. Aside from that it's a great adaptation.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
You're supposed to hate the religious lady.

"I am a very particular kind of person and I will kill us all if you give me even a single inch!"

The biggest problem with The Mist has always been
the ludicrous editing of the ending where, after the ultimate dramatic moment, a convoy of tanks rolls right in making a shitload of clanking noise.

That nobody in the car heard.

What would have made it work as intended is if he had wandered in the mist for hours, or days, wondering why the monsters wouldn't take him as punishment for his necessary sin. Only to discover the military had cleared the area.

But it doesn't work when he gets out of the car, turns around, and the troops walk over.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I absolutely love this movie. Cardboard, cliched characters? Sure, for the most part. Bad CGI? Yup. Great dialogue? Not particularly.

But it's the definition of a movie that is more than the sum of its parts. It has some pretty great tension throughout, the bible thumper is the biggest monster in the room despite there being several monsters outside of the room which makes her super interesting, and as many people have said (including Stephen King), the ending is incredible and way better than the book's.

I also personally have always had a love for single-location stories which just involve people stuck in one place for the entire show or movie having to figure both each other out and whatever else is happening. They can't all be 12 Angry Men, but I just love that basic premise, and it encompasses many genres.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it because sometimes in life you just feel like

GrizzledMiniatureBee-size_restricted.gif

Mar 21, 2018
Not related to The Mist, but in a similar vein, I'm not a fan of Palahniuk saying the same thing about Fight Club. Own up to your own better ending bro :P!

100%. I MUCH prefer the book versus the film (including the ending) and I say this as someone who watched the film first and really enjoyed it. Ditto for The Prestige, another book where the author prefers the film.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem with The Mist has always been
the ludicrous editing of the ending where, after the ultimate dramatic moment, a convoy of tanks rolls right in making a shitload of clanking noise.

That nobody in the car heard.

What would have made it work as intended is if he had wandered in the mist for hours, or days, wondering why the monsters wouldn't take him as punishment for his necessary sin. Only to discover the military had cleared the area.

But it doesn't work when he gets out of the car, turns around, and the troops walk over.
I'm sure the magic mist dampened the sound.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You know what I want? To watch a CGI nature video dedicated to how the creatures from the Mist get along in their dimension. Like even just the spiders. They spit acid webs at everything and lay eggs inside of everything. This species is amazing if they can explain how that works.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wanted to love it, but yeah it was frustrating.
The CG looked bad (and there was a lot of it), the characters were annoying and making it difficult to sit through the movie, and then it gives you the most overly dramatic ending they could've come up with. It ended up being funny with how they timed everything, which I don't think they were going for.

Overall I didn't hate it, just disappointed after all the hype. It is the closest we'll get to a Half-Life movie though, so that's cool.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always found the ending infuriating because it basically puts the religious nutjobs in the right, and they were rewarded for their blind faith. Meanwhile, the main crew dies out of hopelessness, and the main guy will live and never forgive himself. They are all punished for their lack of faith.

It's some christian bullshit.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I didn't hate the movie but I actually really dislike the ending. It's trying way too hard to be shocking and upsetting and it achieves that but at the cost of a much more chilling and interesting ending.

The story ending with the characters driving out into what appears to be the end of the world, uncertain if anything is even left out there, on a very limited tank of fuel, is a much better ending. Works way better when what happens to them is left up to the imagination and the question of if anything is even still alive out there is never answered. The original short story does give a ray of hope in that the main character MAYBE heard something over the radio, which I can take or leave, but even that isn't much.

By trying to find some way to be darker and going with the most obvious "dead kid" solution to that they not only lose the chilling aspect of the ending but also completely stomp on the seriousness of the situation by showing us the world at large will be fine, this evil mist just needed some good old fashion AMERICAN FIREPOWER like fuck offff

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I always found the ending infuriating because it basically puts the religious nutjobs in the right, and they were rewarded for their blind faith. Meanwhile, the main crew dies out of hopelessness, and the main guy will live and never forgive himself. They are all punished for their lack of faith.

The crazy preacher lady dies a pretty horrible death and her spell on the rest of them is broken. They're all going to have to live with killing two people, it ain't a good ending for them either.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

She wasn't right. She blamed the whole thing on the wrath of God punishing the wicked sinners but that's much like blaming an earthquake on God. She was a dangerous loon until she died.

Her followers just survived by pure happenstance. The ending is intended to be very dark and uncompromising, where the ones who were right all along still get the shit end of the stick. That just happens sometimes.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Dozens of fumbles and forced plot devices like the OP mentioned, bad acting, try-hard edgy ending, and it starts off in one of the most hilariously awful ways possible- with what is CLEARLY A FOG coming across the lake and a character saying "what is that? some KiNd oF MiSt???" I consider myself pretty damn forgiving of bad movies but I couldn't deal with this one.

Don't get the worship for this movie. I can understand how some people can forgive the bad and like it, but yeah, definitely propped up undeservingly.

Fake Edit: I'll go read the book since I've heard a lot of people recommend it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Dozens of fumbles and forced plot devices like the OP mentioned, bad acting, try-hard edgy ending, and it starts off in one of the most hilariously awful ways possible- with what is CLEARLY A FOG coming across the lake and a character saying "what is that? some KiNd oF MiSt???" I consider myself pretty damn forgiving of bad movies but I couldn't deal with this one.

Don't get the worship for this movie. I can understand how some people can forgive the bad and like it, but yeah, definitely propped up undeservingly.

Fake Edit: I'll go read the book since I've heard a lot of people recommend it.

It's probably one of the few movies out there that has just gross monsters ripping apart people and they have no way to deal with it. This makes the film unique at least because for a while it looks like the world has ended.

The scale makes the film scary.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
random unnecessary fact: Insomnia and the upcoming Oppenheimer are also based on books. That's all for Nolan's stuff as far as I know.

That's a very necessary fact! But now I'm slightly disappointed Memento isn't based on a book, cause I would've liked to see how someone made that story work in written form.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It's probably one of the few movies out there that has just gross monsters ripping apart people and they have no way to deal with it. This makes the film unique at least because for a while it looks like the world has ended.

The scale makes the film scary.

In my haste I forgot to at least mention what I did like about it, and the creatures and attacks were definitely cool. I liked how it was one of the (at least when I watched it) rare times that movies would show horrible looking creatures etc. in a "daytime" setting instead of relying on darkness to do the heavy lifting.

I also liked the design of the giant thing at the end and wished there had been more of that shown. And as someone else mentioned it made me wish there was a Half-Life movie.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
That's a very necessary fact! But now I'm slightly disappointed Memento isn't based on a book, cause I would've liked to see how someone made that story work in written form.

Well here's another fun fact: Memento was originally a short story written by Chris Nolan's brother Jonathan (a good writer himself, of Westworld fame) entitled "Memento Mori," which was then adapted by Chris Nolan to a film screenplay.

In fact you can read it here:

Memento Mori

Two brothers had an idea for a story. One brother turned it into the most original movie of the spring, Memento. The other wrote this short story."What like a bullet can undeceive!" --Herman Melville

It's a loose adaptation of course. There are a lot of differences.

Last edited:

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
The mist is a fantastic movie, but, for me, it's completely un-rewatchable.

and it's the ending. I just can't, I just can't

It's an amazing ending and I can't rewatch it because of it

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to love it, but yeah it was frustrating.
The CG looked bad (and there was a lot of it), the characters were annoying and making it difficult to sit through the movie, and then it gives you the most overly dramatic ending they could've come up with. It ended up being funny with how they timed everything, which I don't think they were going for.

Overall I didn't hate it, just disappointed after all the hype. It is the closest we'll get to a Half-Life movie though, so that's cool.

Black and white version solves that problem.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
It could have been worse, you could have watched The Mist TV series.

It is one of the most bizarre, tasteless shows I've ever watched.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the ending was hilariously over the top and it almost ruined an otherwise great movie. Glad to see that I'm not crazy and other people actually feel the same way lol. It just reminds me of that "subtext is for cowards" meme.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
I remember reading the short story decades ago and just absolutely loved it.. I think thre movie ending was actually better than the book ending.