• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a reference to an old french play simply titled "Rhinoceros." It's a story of a small town and a simple, every-man character at its center, and everyone in town around him begin to transform into rhinoceros, one by one, and he is slowly driven mad as he repeatedly tries and fails to get everyone to realize the gravity of what is happening, until he is completely alone. It's an allegory for events that preceded the rise to power of Nazism in Germany.
Thank you!

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Food for thought:

Vox Media put out a pretty blunt statement against YouTube after their decision. I can't blame them. Maza is one of their employees.

But Vox also produces a ton of content...for YouTube. They have over 6 million subs. I suspect it's a decent revenue generator for them.

Wouldn't it be more effective for Vox to make a louder statement and pull their content from YouTube if they feel that strongly in support of their employee?

Otherwise, it's very difficult to believe there's any teeth behind Vox's support of Maza.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow what a shocking decision from the pedophile ring that is Youtube.

I can't believe anyone would give Google a fucking dime after supporting pedophiles, racists, and homophobes.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Tell that to the minorities that are subject to prejudice, harassment, violence every day of our lives.

It's a garbage excuse used to prop up the status quo of straight white supremacy.
What I meant specifically is that we can ignore their co-opting of that particular phrase as we deplatform them, attack their positions, etc. not that we should ignore them entirely.

They should absolutely be fought against. Didn't mean to imply we should just let them do whatever they want and ignore them that way.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Food for thought:

Vox Media put out a pretty blunt statement against YouTube after their decision. I can't blame them. Maza is one of their employees.

But Vox also produces a ton of content...for YouTube. They have over 6 million subs. I suspect it's a decent revenue generator for them.

Wouldn't it be more effective for Vox to make a louder statement and pull their content from YouTube if they feel that strongly in support of their employee?

Otherwise, it's very difficult to believe there's any teeth behind Vox's support of Maza.
Given the tough landscape media companies find themselves in these days, are you really criticizing Vox for not taking a morally righteous position that would almost certainly harm their employees' livelihood? Maza's whole job is to make videos that go on YouTube. I'm sure he'd be happy for them to pull out of YouTube so he can be laid off some months later because Dailymotion videos or w/e aren't getting enough engagement. People & companies that depend on YouTube for revenue are in a tough spot and I don't think it's fair to say they're not really standing behind their employee unless they pull their content off the platform.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shit show, so fucking frustrating. Of course moron Moriarty piped up with a typically shitty take as well. Gonna go report some videos I guess. Shame it will probably fill my youtube homepage with some similarly shitty content for the next few days haha

Oct 28, 2017
Food for thought:

The very idea that corporations care about anything other than the bottom dollar is nothing more than a focus tested illusion. Vox being on YT helps Vox far more than it does YT

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The very idea that corporations care about anything other than the bottom dollar is nothing more than a focus tested illusion. Vox being on YT helps Vox far more than it does YT

Yeah, if Vox boycotted YT, it would virtually be a death sentence. Pretty sure at this point, you lose a ton not being on YT unless your following is intense enough to be like a patron but I doubt Vox could fund themselves off that so YT they gotta stay.

In my opinion....it needs to be a viewer boycott. Make it so that if a creator leaves YT you support them.

Also sad to say but there's a good portion of people that would be outraged and would reinforce the alt-right if YT actually took the step of banning him. With Trump and Republicans in the White House if the tech companies start deplatforming, they will start cracking down on them and their reasoning is the same the left has been saying for a long time.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being the victim of targeted harassment from a channel with 4 million subscribers, then having YouTube essentially scold you for not being able to tolerate 'different opinions'. Like, they're telling him to just suck it up because some people just fucking hate gay people and that's okay. happy fucking pride month.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This is totally bullying. Its against their terms of service, they should act.

That they are hiding behind "opinion" is galling.

While what he said might fall just on the right side of hate speech, that really doesn't matter. He's fucking sending his goons after the guy.

I'm really super mad about this.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Food for thought:

youtube (and facebook and google as a large thing) are so monopolistic that not using them for a media focused business would essentially just destroy your own organisation probably and its the rare moral stance that will support having to shutter the jobs of lots and lots of other workers as well. it's fucked

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Youtube: Happy Pride month!
Also Youtube: Homophobic harassment is just a difference of opinion

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Food for thought:

Do you understand the mediascape we live in today? Youtube dominates video on the internet. Vox taking a stance and pulling their content from Youtube would likely be business suicide.

You see youtubers all the time complaining about Youtube's inconsistent policies and bullshit business politics. None of them are gonna pull their videos from Youtube, because that's their entire livelihood. That doesn't diminish their stance or their criticisms against Youtube.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, after that pitiful reply and refusing to stop targeted homophobic harassment, I think it's time I stop using YouTube. It's one of my main platforms for entertainment and media, there are loads of little gaming and dorky science channels I love, some politics too, but I stopped using Twitter and Facebook because they let hate foster, grow, and so often go unchecked, and Google continues to allow the same on YouTube. I'm constantly disappointed, and every small step they take that I think may be a positive sign of change, we end up right back where we started.

I know stopping using the service isn't going to do anything, but I just don't think I can support it in good conscience anymore.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Something you may have missed is Twitter user and Leftist Youtuber Shaun using creative tactics to get Youtube to respond to this:

Which Youtube responded:

Followed by:

Which to be clear, shortly after Youtube responded to the original thread by Carlos

What a twist, love it

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
This is so beyond awful. How does youtube justify this at all?

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
"(4/4) Even if a video remains on our site, it doesn't mean we endorse/support that viewpoint. "

lol wat youtube.

Also, wow at Carlos Maza, enduring all this constant hate and harassment for a lot of people and not giving up, still fighting. Probably if it was me, all this would have broke me mentally really hard and would simply dissapear from earth.

This man has my absolute and deep respect.

Oct 25, 2017
every time i hear one of these defenses of "differences of opinion" this is what i hear

"actually, hurling slurs and abuse at someone is a critical part of the conservative ideology - you would be suppressing their most preciously held belief if they were no longer allowed to do so!"

i can't remember the last time mainstream conservatism has expressed an opinion besides that - i guess when they tried to wreck united states healthcare after having SEVEN YEARS to come up with an alternative - it's all just waging the culture war endlessly

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Just found out the other day this jerk voiced "The Brain" on Arthur back in the day.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Without a platform these people are just talking to themselves in an empty room, shame on youtube for continuing to give them one.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Google and Youtube continue to be morally vacuous cowards. Will continue to divest myself of Google wherever possible and ad block all their crap.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It's really no coincidence that every alt right "star" I have seen has come across as an obnoxious cockhead within 30 seconds of talking

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I like how Crowder tries to play this off as "he calls himself queer so it's okay for me to constantly harp on it myself".

He's so full of shit, he knows exactly what he's doing.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Frustrating, but not entirely unexpected. I assumed they might have made more of an effort while flying rainbow colours on their social media, but I guess that was naive. Youtube is looking incredibly weak when they agree it's something they don't want to be associated with, but aren't willing or capable to take action against it.

I hope Carlos can endure this, and isn't driven away. He's pretty much the face of Vox to me.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can one find a list of advertisers on Youtube? Been having a tough time putting together a list.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, it's the valuable discussion excuse, this time in YouTube form. Two words that are short for "we don't want to lose money from the bigoted side of our patrons, so we'll play the neutral game. That will surely give us a good reputation on both sides(tm)!". Fucking cowards.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Indeed. Now that the left is gearing up to urge de-platforming, the Right is finally wising up to start forcing tech companies to not be able to deplatform people. Go too far and instead grilling over Russia and the elections, they'll start being grilled for banning conservatives. As shitty as it is for YT to not do something, it'll probably bring a firestorm on top of them. Same thing as reddit not banning t_d, if they did, the headlines would scream murder at the top of their lungs.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You see youtubers all the time complaining about Youtube's inconsistent policies and bullshit business politics. None of them are gonna pull their videos from Youtube, because that's their entire livelihood. That doesn't diminish their stance or their criticisms against Youtube.

And that's sort of my point - that it's such a behemoth (at least for established brands / YTers on the platform) that actually taking some kind of punitive action that could send a message to YT beyond a sternly worded statement is close to impossible.

I say "close to" because there *are* other viable platforms that Vox and others could migrate to if they wanted. Twitch comes to mind, its roots in gaming notwithstanding. It could also go OTT and put more effort in its own SVOD platform.

But they won't, because their video is in part funded by Google directly, it turns out. So, sternly worded statement from them and everyone else it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
the left needs to stop being 'civil' and take direct action against the fash. especially with the likes of this ugly fat crowder guy.