• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Cactus Steven really makes me miss Pumpkin

Edit: Cactus Steven talking. What the fuck, nooooooooo kill it

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
the feeling of wanting to be needed isn't uncommon, it can be unhealthy though

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
.....uh....this is all kind of your fault steven

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
The wifey just said she hopes the message of this episode is "getting professional help," and I agree. We've both seen subtext that the new destructive powers are representative of mental illness arising due to predisposition, and there's clear signs his thinking is getting distorted by the new powers.

And it's clear to us as well that he really should be talking to SOMEONE.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
yep Steven really needs to find a way to work through his feelings in a healthy manner

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Crewniverse at it again

jxaqpv0u6h741.png

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
When the hell did Steven become one of the worst people? Next you're gonna tell me Rolando's a better person.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While Snow Day is on I just wanna say how much I love the "Theme of Steven Tag" in all its forms

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the hell did Steven become one of the worst people? Next you're gonna tell me Rolando's a better person.

Y'all have a weird perception of Steven if you see him as the worst. Dude spent a good chunk of his childhood dealing with intergalactic war and the past sins of his mother while balancing abilities that he doesn't fully understand. Now he's not only a teenager but has the responsibility of adjusting all of these gems to civilian life, which is effectively a full time job, while also continuing to deal with Rose's past. He's missed out on a lot, and he's feeling the brunt of that now that he realizes just how much has changed in his absence. Steven's always been the "I can fix it" type who can't/won't accept that things continue out of his control, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Sadie and Lars. If anything, Steven's worst quality is that he tries to take on more than he can actually handle.

Give the kid a break, will ya? He's doing his best

The wifey just said she hopes the message of this episode is "getting professional help," and I agree. We've both seen subtext that the new destructive powers are representative of mental illness arising due to predisposition, and there's clear signs his thinking is getting distorted by the new powers.

And it's clear to us as well that he really should be talking to SOMEONE.
It's not something that just talking is going to solve. He needs time. His friends told him that they'll always be his friends. In most shows that's the end of the conversation but that's not how it goes down IRL. That shit sticks with you until you figure out where to go next. It's not easy when your circle of friends goes long distance. As for what his pink powers are feeding on, it's not entirely mental illness as much as it what comes with the territory of being a teenager. I'm not just talking about the rebellious thing. They're not going there, thankfully. More the idea that he has no idea what to do with himself at this point, and he has no idea how to process all of this stuff that he's dealing with, something that Pink never learned, according to Yellow

That said, Steven has been shown to have latent PTSD from dealing with Rose's problems that are out of his control. It's that Spider-Man PTSD

Last edited:
Some of those problems you're mentioning have never been Rose problems though; they've always been Steven problems, namely his isolation and sheltered human upbringing never allowed him to experience the full gamut of human emotions (growing up with friend his age, going to school) gives him a rather narrow view of how things are vs. should be. His irrational fear of change at times is more confusing due to the fact we saw in the movie he just figured out he's the person he is today because he had to change and adapt, aka "grow up". He learns lessons and forgets them a few episodes later. Hell, they just had an episode (Snow Day) where he wants the Crystal Gems to see him as he is at 16, and not the bumbling kid he used to be!

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Some of those problems you're mentioning have never been Rose problems though; they've always been Steven problems, namely his isolation and sheltered human upbringing never allowed him to experience the full gamut of human emotions (growing up with friend his age, going to school) gives him a rather narrow view of how things are vs. should be. His irrational fear of change at times is more confusing due to the fact we saw in the movie he just figured out he's the person he is today because he had to change and adapt, aka "grow up". He learns lessons and forgets them a few episodes later. Hell, they just had an episode (Snow Day) where he wants the Crystal Gems to see him as he is at 16, and not the bumbling kid he used to be!
applying the things you know are true to yourself can be difficult sometimes, it's not really that he forgot those lessons, he clearly didn't because he figured those things out on his own when he really thought about them, but your emotions don't necessarily always align with what you know rationally and they can make you act in ways you know are wrong or contradictory

Mar 9, 2018
Good angsty episodes. Steven's savior complex hovered in SU:TOS like an invisible elephant. Now in SU:F they are finally shining the camera on that elephant and it is blushing so hard we can see it. The second episode was particularly great.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm referring to the outbursts and the Gem Nemesis System as Rose problems. There's a pretty big difference between Steven's old outbursts and the Pink outbursts from what we've seen of her in the Flashback and how she treated her subordinates.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Connie's absence from these episodes is probably intentional. I think her return episode will have some news Steven won't take lightly, like her saying that she's moving away for college. That might be what causes him to snap (and corrupt if you're into that theory).

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Pink White Diamond is going to be Steven going to see the Diamonds to clear his head but they don't want to be with him anymore or need his help anymore because they have Spinel so he loses control and mind controls White.

Aug 7, 2019
I hope people are going to be able to maturely handle this better than they did with Finn, I'm glad the crew is brave enough to try and match that ambiguity in a character's mental state

I can't stop listening to that episode 9 ending ;( Thank you for ending my 2019 and decade with that, maybe this can inspire some resolution

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
should we be concerned that he named one of the plants in the greenhouse after Connie?

The same plants that he ceremoniously named after all the townspeople who are now living their own lives away from him?

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I fully believe that Corrupted Steven theory now. He's gonna snap when Connie finally appears.

Also this two episodes were emotionally draining to me, I never felt that before for the series. While it has gotten dark, these outright exhausted me. I really liked the themes of these episodes but wow.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I fully believe that Corrupted Steven theory now. He's gonna snap when Connie finally appears.

Also this two episodes were emotionally draining to me, I never felt that before for the series. While it has gotten dark, these outright exhausted me. I really liked the themes of these episodes but wow.
My little sister's (around 10 years old) an avid fan of SU, and when I was going to watch the episodes tonight with another one of my sisters after she already had, she actually declined when I invited her. Show's getting really real.

I think the show's naturally going to end with Steven leaving Beach City so he can finally live his life for a while.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Christ. Props to them for diving deep into Steven's psyche, but this is heavy-going stuff.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Pink White Diamond is going to be Steven going to see the Diamonds to clear his head but they don't want to be with him anymore or need his help anymore because they have Spinel so he loses control and mind controls White.
I think Pink White Diamond is going to be Steven's Pink Form truly realized in a bid to keep everything under his control

Christ. Props to them for diving deep into Steven's psyche, but this is heavy-going stuff.
Not much heavier than Stevonnie's anxiety or Spinel having a mental breakdown (literally since it actually caused her to poof from broken heart syndrome)

Speaking of Spinel, it's kind of ironic. She was stuck in that garden for thousands of years by herself only to find that the world purposefully moved on without her with Steven not being enough to fix that by himself, and now the world is moving on without Steven.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good angsty episodes. Steven's savior complex hovered in SU:TOS like an invisible elephant. Now in SU:F they are finally shining the camera on that elephant and it is blushing so hard we can see it. The second episode was particularly great.
I think it's always been there since the beginning of the series, front and center, but because it was always justified it didn't mean much. Steven was someone just wanting to live life while everyone kept trying to use him as a substitute savior for Rose, only for him to find that not only was her role overblown but that he eventually had to convince them that he was his own entity. He's succeeded in that now, and gotten the world to a state where it can function without the need of a hero. So what does the hero do when the story is over? Steven never had the chance to expand on much due to constantly being involved in gem business. No one likes to believe that they're no longer necessary. The universe was unified by Steven, and now no longer needs Steven. He struggles to find purpose after that. Generally when that happens and a character can't accept it, they end up causing problems themselves just so they have a reason to feel useful again. Steven's been doing that, albeit unintentionally. Think about what Aquamarine and Ruby said: the primary reason that they're still on about hating Steven is that they were once heroes for their role in his capture, and even though they aren't being punished for that now that all of that's over, they no longer have that prestige.

The biggest reason that this is happening is because if he had moved on like everyone else then the series would've ended a few episodes back. I already gave my theory on Pink White but I think the other monster is going to end up being new corruption

Of course I could be entirely off on that Pink White theory and it could just have something to do with her turning Pink back in the old series finale. Gems don't have blood flow so that blushing shouldn't work.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the four episode premiere with my girlfriend, and as I told her then I could see what they were doing then, we're getting into the "Steven falls to his problems and becomes the villain" arc of the story. He's spent so much of his time focusing on others he's been neglecting himself and his feelings, and that can lead to things building up. As he has powers built around his emotions and due to the series having corruption as a state gems get to when they're, well, corrupted, this arc seems to be with Steven becoming his own worst enemy he has to overcome.

Definitely seems to be where we're going currently from the last six episodes, and the last two in particular.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The isolation is most certainly a problem Pink ha
I watched the four episode premiere with my girlfriend, and as I told her then I could see what they were doing then, we're getting into the "Steven falls to his problems and becomes the villain" arc of the story. He's spent so much of his time focusing on others he's been neglecting himself and his feelings, and that can lead to things building up. As he has powers built around his emotions and due to the series having corruption as a state gems get to when they're, well, corrupted, this arc seems to be with Steven becoming his own worst enemy he has to overcome.

Definitely seems to be where we're going currently from the last six episodes, and the last two in particular.

Yup. I actually think that THIS may actually be a legit reason to bring in some version of Rose / Pink Diamond.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly i am starting to get a feeling that Steven's is going to cause an incident that stems from his own issues regarding everyone moving foward which is going to cause a lot of damage to Beach City and cause him to like the title card, leave Beach City without the gems. Personally i hope this is the ending of SUF and then the final episode could be a second movie like SU: The Movie that defintive wraps up Steven's arc

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i am starting to get a feeling that Steven's is going to cause an incident that stems from his own issues regarding everyone moving foward which is going to cause a lot of damage to Beach City and cause him to like the title card, leave Beach City without the gems. Personally i hope this is the ending of SUF and then the final episode could be a second movie like SU: The Movie that defintive wraps up Steven's arc
I mean, they could even end with Steven just leaving beach city and going forward into an unknown future. He's spent his whole life living for the sake of others it's time for him to start thinking about what he wants for himself.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I mean, they could even end with Steven just leaving beach city and going forward into an unknown future. He's spent his whole life living for the sake of others it's time for him to start thinking about what he wants for himself.
Yeah that could happen and i wouldn't mind that as the straght up ending but at the same time. I think maybe a more complete ending would satisfying to more pepole

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His irrational fear of change at times is more confusing due to the fact we saw in the movie he just figured out he's the person he is today because he had to change and adapt, aka "grow up". He learns lessons and forgets them a few episodes later
I'll be ready every day
For as long as I can say
Here I am in the future
With my friends,
And that's why
Happily Ever After never ends
The Movie wasn't doing a "let the past die" job- it was explicitly saying that Steven's friends were the very thing that allowed him to face the future.

Him feeling like he's losing them is exactly the sort of thing that would screw him up, not just that things are changing.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Just caught up up. Loving every episode. Feels so great. Steven on the other hand has a ton of issues.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite anime of all time. That it's been referenced so often in SU has been wonderful.

The whole show is available on youtube for free (legit for free, this is the youtube page for the company that holds the US license).

I just wanted to say that I started watching Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first time because of this post, and I am loving it so far. I'm on episode 6 now.