• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
She's going to pull a Lars/Sadie and we're all going to get really sad.

And Steven is going to finally snap.

And you all know it.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I won't even be sad if Connie leaves, she shouldn't have to deal with all of Steven's problems.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
What are the odds Connie already "broke up" (for lack of a better term) with Steven and he's just been in denial about it?

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Sugar has this fanbase conditioned to enjoy suffering

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sugar would end this series on a downer or even bittersweet note.

I'm not saying Steven won't leave Beach City but I don't think it'll be under the circumstances most are expecting.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying Steven won't leave Beach City but I don't think it'll be under the circumstances most are expecting.
oh no they wouldn't give us a downer ending in this series...everything in between is fair game though

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

OH I expect Steven to leave to move to the next phase of his life. Not even in a "I'm never coming back" way. More of a journey of self discovery.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The best way to end the show would be to shatter the pink diamond gem and let Steven be human. They can come up with a way to remove the gem without him and then goodbye and good riddance pink.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't taking Steven's gem half away kind of an antithesis of Steven's role in the story?

I'm fine with some story/theme deconstruction, but I don't want Future to be a giant fuck you to the original series.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest...i don't see how destroying Steven's gem will provide any emotional catharsis or closure to any party involved, and it seems like something that would only satisfy people who hate Steven's mom. Like she's already dead and the gem is Steven now, so basically that would be destroying part of Steven. Whether you want to admit it or not your parents are always going to be part of you, they'll always have a massive influence on your life because they're the ones who started it in the first place. Destroying Rose's gem would gain Steven nothing, it wouldn't free him from any sorts of burdens, and like it or not Rose will always be part of him gem or not.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Would the diamond allow that thoigh?
That depends on if they accept Steven as a person and not just as a flesh shell around the gem I think. But they have Spinel as a stand in for the pink they remember so ... maybe?
they would never to that.

especially because Steven need the diamond to survive lol.
I kinda forgot an important word there, I meant to say they can find a way to remove the gem without hurting Steven.

I'll be honest...i don't see how destroying Steven's gem will provide any emotional catharsis or closure to any party involved, and it seems like something that would only satisfy people who hate Steven's mom. Like she's already dead and the gem is Steven now, so basically that would be destroying part of Steven. Whether you want to admit it or not your parents are always going to be part of you, they'll always have a massive influence on your life because they're the ones who started it in the first place. Destroying Rose's gem would gain Steven nothing, it wouldn't free him from any sorts of burdens, and like it or not Rose will always be part of him gem or not.
Exactly, Rose will be part of him gem or not, so the connection to his mom won't be lost (his body isn't a clone of Greg so Rose did more than provide the gem) but he can get rid of the burden of having her powers and be seen ans literally her many gems and finally give him a chance to live his own life not being a diamond anymore. And I'm not even sure Rose would be against that, in her video message she told him being a human being was wonderful, not being a hybrid, just a human being.
Leaving the diamond authority and all the power behind to live a regular life in earth would be a very Rose thing to do just without startimg a war and faking a death.

The gem stone is also the actual body of a gem, so Steven has his mother's remains embedded in him, that is a bit creepy from a human perspective.

Thinking about it a bit more maybe it wouldn't be the best way to end the show but I do think it's possible. When separated gem Steven also wasn't an actual person, he was barely more than Steven shaped diamond powers, so it wouldn't be like killing an actual gem, bio Steven is the actual person.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Steven is so badly deformed by his mom being a rock lady and his dad being a bald man that none of his organs work so his gem keeps him alive

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
The best way to end the show would be to shatter the pink diamond gem and let Steven be human. They can come up with a way to remove the gem without him and then goodbye and good riddance pink.
But this completely undermines the finale of the og series. He is both and human and gem, there's not one without the other.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
But this completely undermines the finale of the og series. He is both and human and gem, there's not one without the other.
100%
I dont think there is a single good reason for him to ditch his gem. It makes way more sense in this show for him to find some other way to deal with the problems that arise from it. At most its something they consider very shortly, then discard the idea for any number of reasons.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the idea that steven's gem forever ties him to the responsibilities of his mother is such a idiotic take when the entirety of future has been about steven running into situations where nobody needs or requires his leadership role that he apparently inherited
the gem isn't the problem, its the expectations that steven needs to let himself go of and find a new purpose in life. it's almost like this has been the theme of multiple episodes and the solution wasn't to bash open a fucking rock.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Steven Universe: "Shattering gems is an abominable thing to do, please stop" .

Steven Universe Fandom: "lmao let's shatter every character".

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's the character that is universally hated.
How the other 3 diamonds dont get even half of the amount of hate from the show and the fandom will always boggle my mind. Like i get Pink isnt the greatest person but at least she tried to not be a dictator and tried to reform on her own accord. The other 3 just kept being awful untill Steven did talk no jutsu and they reformed within a day or 2(which i still dont like)

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
How the other 3 diamonds dont get even half of the amount of hate from the show and the fandom will always boggle my mind. Like i get Pink isnt the greatest person but at least she tried to not be a dictator and tried to reform on her own accord. The other 3 just kept being awful untill Steven did talk no jutsu and they reformed within a day or 2(which i still dont like)
well i'd even say it's not like they're reformed either, they're just desperate for Steven's attention and approval

Oct 27, 2017
well i'd even say it's not like they're reformed either, they're just desperate for Steven's attention and approval
That makes it even worse then. And its so strange the movie treats them as "Steven's wacky relatives!!" *laughtrack plays*. They really should've been condemned more in the plot like Pink was. Im not even saying they should be shattered, cuz I know SU's philosophy wouldn't slow it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
To be fair, it's the character that is universally hated.

I don't hate Rose. I think she's a very deeply flawed character. Who obviously enjoyed a lot of privilege that she didn't recognize for a very long time.

She also had A tendency to not think through any of her plans or actions. Basically, she just had a huge case of Arrested Development. And by the time she grew up everything was already shit.