• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Man Steven's last line makes me believe some big stuff is really gonna go down.

Anyways its fun to see how the watermelons advanced. Also the song was beautiful.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I was wondering why this thread didn't seem more active the following day. Then I saw Steven wake up as a Watermelon & immediately understood.

Adam Muto drew this for the Crewniverse SDCC zine back in 2017. Turns out it wasn't just fun fanart, but directly based on this episode (which he storyboarded).

Huh. I definitely feel this episode was supposed to come out awhile ago, then.

I feel like unless the Watermelon Steven's DO have some sort of significance, than this whole watermelon island mini-arc could have just been done as a one-off after the Homeworld stuff. I don't know, it just seems so backwards to me to interrupt plot relevant episodes with seemingly irrelevant ones, but that may just be because I'm used to anime usually putting stuff like that as OVAs.

I actually think the Watermelon side-stuff might be building to something more & this is a way to keep them in our memory, as well as to give us a breather episode since, any time after 2 weeks from now, you could probably easily find a way to watch Battle of Heart & Mind immediately after. It sucks in a serialized format, but will be needed in a marathon format.

Besides, cutting away to a breather episode during the show's most prominent arc feels necessary. I'm w/ louisacommie; since this at least wasn't a Ronaldo episode, I'm inherently cool with it.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Saw a lot of complaints before seeing the episode, but after seeing it today, can't really get all the hate.

It's a fine episode with a lot of callbacks to the series' past. Heck, the series has changed so much in the last season or two, that it's nice to see things like the watermelon island. And as many have already pointed out, it's a big hint for how Steven is going to solve the problem with the Diamonds. Specifically with White Diamond, who doesn't seem to really care about anything besides continuing the natural order of things and completely lacking empathy for Steven.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I'm definitely interested in is, how will Bismuth actually be able to do much of anything for Steven? Because it's not like there are many options right now:
-Don't have access to the Ruby ship anymore.
-Blue Diamond's and Yellow Diamond's (ruined) ships are still right there on Earth but even if Bismuth could somehow repair them they seem like they're impossible to fly without the Diamonds anyway, so they're out.

The only thing that comes to mind is Lars's ship. Which like, if that's the plan, why didn't Steven try astral projecting into Lars's ship instead of Earth specifically? What does he think Bismuth can do specifically, other than just wait for Lars anyway (and does she even know about him and how he's heading for Earth right now? Edit: I guess Greg would probably know at least some things probably and could probably help out a bit there if Bismuth doesn't, but even that's still kind of a question mark with exactly how much Steven has told Greg about that, but anyway)?

I'm sure there's some kind of plan there, I don't doubt the Crewniverse on that, just curious what it will wind up being exactly.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017

The only thing that comes to mind is Lars's ship. Which like, if that's the plan, why didn't Steven try astral projecting into Lars's ship instead of Earth specifically? What does he think Bismuth can do specifically, other than just wait for Lars anyway (and does she even know about him and how he's heading for Earth right now? Edit: I guess Greg would probably know at least some things probably and could probably help out a bit there if Bismuth doesn't, but even that's still kind of a question mark with exactly how much Steven has told Greg about that, but anyway)?

I'm sure there's some kind of plan there, I don't doubt the Crewniverse on that, just curious what it will wind up being exactly.

My guess for why Steven didn't try to contact Lars is;

a) He doesn't actually know where Lars is. He's only ever visited him via Lion's mane. He's deep in space somewhere and constantly on the move. Steven had to try really hard to visualise exactly where Earth was and even then, he ended up on Watermelon Island instead of at the Temple.

b) Lars and the Off-Colours are currently on the run from and being actively hunted by Homeworld forces. They've spent a lot of effort escaping Homeworld's grasp, including stealing one of the most prized ships in the fleet, so to ask them to do a 180 degree and head right back to Homeworld would be a huge risk for them. I think Steven probably would decide against that, especially for the Off Colours.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Steven still isn't in full-control of his body-possessing powers, guys. Seriously, it could have gone way worse.

Finally watched this week's episode. Absolutely the worst one in a while, with very misleading promo art. At least we got to see Bismuth, which made me very happy honestly.
Maybe because Joe didn't post the full version until after.

tumblr_pl12e9FSEX1r9ecbs_500.jpg

He also posted this:

Anonymous asked: Hello, Mr. Johnston, will you be boarding more episodes in the future? It was great to have you back after so much time.

Here are the list of story boarders for the next episode:

Lamar Abrams, Miki Brewster, Hilary Florido, Joe Johnston, Jeff Liu, Christine Liu, Kat Morris, Katie Mitroff, Amber Rogers, Rebecca Sugar, Paul Villeco, Ian Jones-Quartey

The next episode is an hour long special. The movie before we made the movie. We poured a lot of love into it. Get excited.

It's called 'Change your Mind'

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Are the Watermelons creating life on their own now? Watermelon birds and a watermelon shark now exist

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
^ ian_malcolm.gif

unlike say, the Pebbles, plant life is organic life and can grow and evolve beyond their original state to adapt to their surroundings

watermelon pupper still best watermelon, tho

tumblr_pkzxfmDPGG1vnokczo1_540.gif

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
twelve storyboarders on one ep? including Rebecca and they even got Ian away from showrunning his own series to work on it too? this is gonna be nuts

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Hillary recently shared this, don't think it went up before the episode aired:

tumblr_pl2x7d3QaC1qgydino1_1280.jpg

trying to puzzle out who the foreground characters are supposed to be
nephrite and topaz?

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
Hillary recently shared this, don't think it went up before the episode aired:

tumblr_pl2x7d3QaC1qgydino1_1280.jpg

trying to puzzle out who the foreground characters are supposed to be
nephrite and topaz?

I'd say Topaz and Nephrite are correct. I don't think that's White Pearl (everyone's kept their hairstyles in these promos). The hairstyle and single eye point to Nephrite.

Also, the promos usually (but not always) depict characters from the episodes. If I'm not mistaken, in Familiar we see Topaz guarding the extraction chambers, and Yellow was called away to handle some business with a new batch of Nephrite?

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I just remembered that Connie is brandishing a new sword in the original Diamond Days poster.

Since Steven asked Bismuth to come help, I guess that's a pretty strong hint that Bismuth does, in fact, make it to Homeworld as part of BOHAM and she's the one who gives a new sword to Connie.

I had thought that White Pearl showing up and the White Diamond ship docking with the PD leg ship would be in the back half of the episodes, with Blue and Yellow Diamond holding off White Diamond to help Steven escape to end the event. But if Bismuth is showing up and Connie is getting a sword, then the White Pearl/White Diamond arrival might happen earlier and there might be a whole lot more Crystal Gems in the event's final battle.

I wonder if Peridot and Lapis will get a time to shine in battle, or if Pearl, Amethyst, and Garnet all reform to help out.

Watch them shatter Bismuth in the special.

Oh hell, is that how they weasel their way out of having to pay Uzo Aduba for more episodes? By having Bismuth die and/or sacrifice herself? It would be a huge turning point for the series, and it would clearly establish to Steven that he might be able to convince Blue and Yellow Diamond, but White Diamond is a lost cause and has to be fought.

Oct 26, 2017
Escapism is a lovely song. I didn't realize that Steven and Connie's vocals were split between the right and left side. It sounds amazing over headphones.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
looks like Zach is having a rough time right now, send him your love if you can please

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks. Hope he gets better.

Is mental illness just more common now or is it only because it's acknowledged and not as much of a social taboo as it used to be?

Probably the latter, same as autism is suddenly a lot more prevalent as we have much more accurate ways of testing it, same as cancer and other elderly diseases too.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
That's unfortunate to hear, but it sounds as if he is being supported by professionals & by loved ones, & his music is helping him with whatever he's facing. I'm always happy to hear when someone has strong supports & a way to cope! I hope he is able to make the progress he wants to make.

That sucks. Hope he gets better.

Is mental illness just more common now or is it only because it's acknowledged and not as much of a social taboo as it used to be?

The latter. People were ashamed to acknowledge having any sort of mental health related concerns back in the day, which is why people did not talk about it openly. Honestly, I hope his posts encourage others to seek the help they need, too.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first straight 44-minutes episode isn't it? i feel like we had something similar when we first got to home world, but maybe i misremember some double episodes airing together or something.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Think the adventure time finale...except this isn't the end

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Steven universe: Universe wide

Idk i think it will be a play on exploring the wider universe and not just earth, the moon, the human zoo, homeworld
The jungle moon

And yellow diamonds mining colony off screen

Status
Not open for further replies.