• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
How is one massive 44 episode story different from the last four episodes which were also a continuous 44 minute story? The episodes all continue after each cliffhanger without missing a beat and could easily be edited together.

I don't think that's quite fair. Each of the previous four episodes have been their own thing with their own episode plot and structure.

Legs from here to Homeworld - Steven reconciles with the Diamonds, talks about Corruption, makes his way to Homeworld and meets White Diamond
Familiar - Steven finds out what life is like on Homeworld for a Diamond, rediscovers how Pink fit into all that.
Alone Together - Steven hosts a ball for the Diamonds to try and smooth things over, fuses and everyone gets poofed.
Escapism - Watermelon time baby

Each of those episodes was carefully constructed to fit into a 10 minute running time.

This is the first time we're getting a 44 minute episode. Previously, Bismuth and Gem Harvest were the longest episodes at 22 minutes each.

I'm super stoked to see what a planned, 44 minute episode looks like.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
According to Matt Burnett, Battle of Heart & Mind is the last episode of the season.

So Season 5 is actually stretched out all the way to now, as opposed to having ended a few episodes ago.

My best guess is that the next Steven Universe content we get is the movie, which acts as a self-contained side-story where new fans can jump in. After that? Maybe we really will get that Steven Universe Z time-skip series people have been half-joking about. It's possible we haven't gotten an official Season 6 confirmation because Cartoon Network has been keeping the sequel series/name-change a secret.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Joe Johnston referred to this special as "Change Your Mind" (which matches a title leaked a few months ago) and that it's "the movie we made before the movie."

http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/181860670003/hello-mr-johnston-will-you-be-boarding-more

There are 12 storyboarders on the special, which is basically everyone on the show. So it's all hands on deck. That's what separates it from a four-part special like Wanted, where each episode had a different storyboard team.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
teen Steven and Connie would be awesome....maybe they won't only come up to Garnet's thighs then

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
yr9mfkdunza21.jpg

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Im expecting a brand new song

Modifying "we are the crystal gems" so peridot, lapis, connie, bismuth, and anyone else that might join can say

And then and steven

I think it be awkward

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So the finale of ben 10 aired April 15, 2008
And then alien force premiered like 3 days later on April 18, 2008

I don't think this will happen for season 6

I was hoping the gap between thise two ben 10 series would give us a clue on the next hiatus length but never mind

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I don't see Steven Universe ever killing off a character permanently, without chance of rescue. It's just not that show, and I don't ever see it becoming that show.

I could see Bismuth getting corrupted, or brainwashed, but shattered? Nah.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Joe Johnston referred to this special as "Change Your Mind" (which matches a title leaked a few months ago) and that it's "the movie we made before the movie."

http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/181860670003/hello-mr-johnston-will-you-be-boarding-more

There are 12 storyboarders on the special, which is basically everyone on the show. So it's all hands on deck. That's what separates it from a four-part special like Wanted, where each episode had a different storyboard team.

holy shit, that's a lineup. that and the movie together probably explain the abundance of guest storyboarders lately.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
other impressions now that I've caught up on the latest episodes:

- Escapism is the best of the arc by a pretty wide margin and people calling it filler really miss the point of what makes this show so special. Not that this is anything new because the townie eps always get a heap of hate but pure character work like this is why SU is so much more than your usual sci-fi lore series and it's always a shame to see it dismissed or buried in favor of DIAMOND LORE as if that were the main point of this show. but, whatever.
- Speaking of diamond lore, the last few eps definitely show how Reunited wrote them into a corner. Previous lore reveals had weight because they paralleled character arcs and fit into the thematic threads of their respective episode, but the WD reveal was really really left field and hints toward the show trying to lean more into lorebombs which I'm not sure is the best course of action at this point considering the sheer amount of loose character arc threads waiting to be wrapped up. That being said though, the upcoming special very much sounds like they've got their shit together and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of lore reveals from this last arc will make more sense in that context.
- If someone's getting shattered it's those two random gems that fused at the very end of Together Alone. book it.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Escapism is the best of the arc by a pretty wide margin and people calling it filler really miss the point of what makes this show so special. Not that this is anything new because the townie eps always get a heap of hate but pure character work like this is why SU is so much more than your usual sci-fi lore series and it's always a shame to see it dismissed or buried in favor of DIAMOND LORE as if that were the main point of this show. but, whatever.
giphy.gif

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
So the common theory right now is that the original pink pearl was damaged by white diamond effectively turning her into a puppet ... what if it's the other way around? What if white pearl is the puppet master and white diamond the puppet?

We saw in Steven's dream that Pink Diamond and her pearl were close, they both had fun together, fooled yellow together etc., so what if pink pearl became the first "crystal gem" in a way, pink diamond seemed to treat her like an equal, juggling for her to make her happy when it's part of a Pearl's job to make her diamond happy (according to our pearl in Now we're only falling apart). Somehow it got into pearl's head that of she's equal to pink, of the diamonds are just gems like everyone else why shouldn't she rule?

Part of the reason I'm thinking this is because I asked myself why white would keep a damaged pearl around? If white had learned that pink tought her pearl to be independant she'd obviously put an end to that but why not just shatter her and be done with it? Keeping pink's pearl as a hollowed out "zombie" could have been a reminder for pink not to do it again but then why keep her after pink was supposedly shattered? Especially if white likes order and perfection so much ... why keep an outwardly damaged pearl?

So my theory is that at some point pink pearl managed to become white's pearl (no idea how she wormed her way into white's service but diamonds are not above being manipulated) and pink got a new one. After pink was gone and white heartbroken that could have been the moment for pearl to strike and she somehow incapacitated a weakened and distracted white damaging her own form in the process.
Pearl then changed her voice permanently to be able to speak as white diamond and she floats around holding the pose because that's how she keeps white diamond in place inside her ship.

At first glance white pearl looks like a victim of abuse but is she? Let's look at what actually happened when we saw her on homeworld, she showed up and that alone was enough to make the crowd go quiet, she then bossed yellow, blue and pink diamond around publically by telling pink to come and yellow and blue to stay put. Then she shows up at the ball and moves to the throne, she was literally on the throne so who's in charge on homeworld? Everyone including the other diamonds assumes white pearl is relaying white diamond's orders but she's also the only source for those orders.
Steven met white diamond but only for a short time and it wasn't an actual conversation, so it's possible white pearl controlled white diamond and kept it short because it is hard to not just keep her frozen inplace but to also have her speak.

This would also explain white diamonds apparent change in personality, in era one she seemed to be close tothe other diamonds, playing games with them, attending balls and avenging pink by blasting earth but then she completely detaches herself from everything for era two? That seems like an extreme change.

Some people think white diamond is literally seeing and speaking through her pearl but what's the point of remote controlling another body, why not just show up in person? If it was a way to observe her subjects anonymously that could be a reason but everyone is like "yikes, white's pearl" so there's nothing anonymous about it.

TL;DR: White Pearl is an evil mastermind and has taken control of homeworld.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
To the above poster who suggested the show would never permanently shatter a main character, I think the show absolutely will at some point. They're not afraid to approach difficult subjects like that. Not Garnet, Amethyst or Pearl, but Bismuth, Peridot, Lapis, really any of the other gems are all fair game to start a storyline like that.

It's also been a long time since we seen a new main fusion. Smoky Quartz, right? With how looked down upon fusion is on homeworld, it'd be a great opportunity to introduce a new fusion of character's we're familiar with. Plus I think one of the crew teased a new character that they couldn't wait to show off?

Anyway, not long to go now!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I think the new version of Rainbow Quartz is the most likely at the moment, it could possibly happen tomorrow because I doubt the poofed gems will sit out the entire adventure. I think a diamond/pearl fusion would send the strongest message to homeworld because of their vast differences in status.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing official Cartoon Network social media accounts directing people to the fan-made subreddit feels so weird to me. I wonder how many new people that sub will get.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
tumblr_ploa7pikap1qgydino1_1280.jpg

High-School AU Promo art for Change Your Mind, by Hilary Florido. Everyone is here!

http://hilaryflorido.tumblr.com/post/182185579593/change-your-mind-written-and-boarded-by

Change Your Mind-
written and boarded by: Rebecca Sugar, Miki Brewster, Joe Johnston, Jeff Liu, Christine Liu, Kat Morris, Katie Mitroff, Amber Rogers, Paul Villeco, Ian Jones-Quartey, Lamar Abrams and me
Monday @ 7pm on CN
A lot of work was put into this special. It's also the last SU episode proper I did before becoming the Storyboard Supervisor. I hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: Hey, is it just me or does Steven look older/taller in this?

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
hey peeps i'd like to do a quick impromptu i guess survey.

Do you guys think that we should keep doing the spoilers like we have been or do you think that just labeling a point where being spoiled is possible will be enough?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Do you guys think that we should keep doing the spoilers like we have been or do you think that just labeling a point where being spoiled is possible will be enough?
I'm for spoil away once it's aired in the east coast. Just makes it easier to read the thread.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a time skip is imminent.

I say after just say being spoiled is a possibility at this point. Also, should we make a thread to spread the word about this episode? It's definitely a bigger episode than normall.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see enough being resolved in this episode to make a time skip viable yet. Maybe post-movie, depending on how standalone it is.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess this episode will show where SU is going from here? Season 6 is all but confirmed obviously, and I wonder how everything is going to start tying together for a conclusion (if it's at all close).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess this episode will show where SU is going from here? Season 6 is all but confirmed obviously, and I wonder how everything is going to start tying together for a conclusion (if it's at all close).
I believe we heard rumours on the grapevine that there'd been a renewal for seasons 6 and 7 around the time we first heard rumblings of the movie.

For all the hiatuses and cocking about with the show, every indication is that Cartoon Network is very much into the Steven Universe business.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe we heard rumours on the grapevine that there'd been a renewal for seasons 6 and 7 around the time we first heard rumblings of the movie.

For all the hiatuses and cocking about with the show, every indication is that Cartoon Network is very much into the Steven Universe business.

I wouldn't mind if it continues to future seasons, though I hope the show can stay focused if it does. I'd rather it end early in a satisfying manner than drag on.

I'm sure the crew knows what they're doing though. We'll see.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the issue of the long hiatus (and not just for SU, but for all their shows), I think has to do with top brass trying to figure out how to maneuver in the new streaming market. it wouldn't surprise me if Turner came out with a streaming service and netflix'd many of their shows

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that the SU season finale will be airing a half-hour earlier than the previous episodes, at 7pm EST.

Y'know, in case it wasn't apparent.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
This show will continue going for quite a while, whether as Steven Universe or as a time-skip sequel series. Shelby Rabara (voice of Peridot) was in the recording booth literally days ago, so I'm guessing Season 7 is basically a lock as well.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Casual reminder that season 5 started nearly two years ago, with Stuck Together first airing in May 2017.

Never fear, we'll have stories for years!

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun going back through this thread sometimes.

You all were convinced that Bismuth was getting shattered back in Reunited. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.