• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Legs from here to Homeworld wasn't the Season 5 finale, right? We still have one, maybe two episodes of the season to go (is that right?).

I'd imagine they need to get those out of the way before the movie.

I don't think the concept of seasons means anything anymore for Steven Universe. The episodes just happen when they happen.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the concept of seasons means anything anymore for Steven Universe. The episodes just happen when they happen.

Yeah this is something that confused me when I actually went back and looked at release dates for episodes once I was caught up. I guess seasons mean a bunch in terms of budgets and planning, but it's weird that like, some seasons started the next day after the previous finale. I don't understand the system.

Also in an interview I read that came out after Legs, Rebecca Sugar said something to the tune of that she was excited to for people to see the next bunch of episodes, which makes me think that perhaps season 6 isn't that far off after this next ep.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
also save the light is now available on PC
yeah, so uh... good luck modders

Dkf0ixwUcAAUfN5.jpg

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Another great Rebecca Sugar interview (this time with Entertainment Weekly), but this one is truly remarkable and eye-opening. It's the most frank, personal, and straight-forward Sugar has been with the struggles and importance of including LGBTQ content in Steven Universe. It's honestly astounding to hear how hard she fought and how personal it was for her.

EW Article:Steven Universe creator has done more for LGBTQ visibility than you might know

There's a lot of quotes here since I think some of the points she brings up simply need to be highlighted.

Rebecca Sugar on the initial conversations she had about creating the wedding episode said:
And from [Jailbreak] on as we were developing [Ruby & Sapphire's] relationship, because in our show we're dedicated to developing the relationships between all the characters, the absolute unfairness of being able to develop certain relationships and having a ceiling on developing other characters relationships was so clear.

[...]Basically, what was interesting to me about the arc of this whole experience was that I ended up in many conversations where it was made clear to me that this was not something that should be in G-rated content and that there was a limit on how much we could show these characters, how close these characters could be with each other. And it was a little bit like staring into the sun because I felt the toll it was taking on my personal mental health and I realized that that is what is happening to millions of children because when this is not in this content, that is what is being said to them.

[...]I think the only way to do it was to just really show how wholesome these characters are, how adorable their love is. There's no question that these aren't the two cutest little characters in love you've ever seen in your life. There could only be one reason you could not show this to kids, and that reason is not fair, so that reason has to disappear.

Sugar on encountering cautious support and BEING WILLING TO LOSE THE SHOW TO FIGHT FOR THIS said:
There was a point at which it was brought to my attention that the studio… I was brought up to a meeting where they [the studio] said, "We know that you're doing this, and we support that you're doing this… We don't want to be giving notes on this, but we have to give notes on this" and it was all very difficult to navigate. Ultimately, I said, "If this is going to cost me my show that's fine because this is a huge injustice and I need to be able to represent myself and my team through this show and anything less would be unfair to my audience."

Sugar on why including LGBTQ content in kids media is important said:
[...]if they're queer kids, you're telling them directly that they don't belong in a family-friendly world if you exclude them from G-rated content.

Over the course of realizing that, it began to feel like an emergency. We need to let children know that they belong in this world. You can't wait to tell them that until after they grow up or the damage will be done. You have to tell them while they're still children that they deserve love and that they deserve support and that people will be excited to hear their story. When you don't show any children stories about LGBTQIA characters and then they grow up, they're not going to tell their own stories because they're gonna think that they're inappropriate, and they're going to have a very good reason to think that because they've been told that through their entire childhood. Realizing that changed everything for me.

The other thing is that people would tell me often, "How are you getting these adult themes into your show?" And that would really strike me because love stories are not adult scenes. The idea that it is adult because it's queer, the gravity of that started to set in for me and the fear I had growing up myself came into focus for me. The things that I felt I couldn't talk about — even into my late 20s — came into focus for me. By including LGBTQIA content and characters in G-rated entertainment for kids, you tell kids when they're young that they belong in this world. You can't not tell them that. There can't be only a certain group of kids that gets told someone will love you by all the entertainment that they see. It's just so unfair. By the time I reached 2016, I felt the weight of it so powerfully I would've risked everything just to get to say this to you now in this moment.

I'll stop my quotes there, but definitely read the rest of the article. It's one of the most insightful interviews Sugar has ever done.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Wow. Great interview.

Props to Sugar and the team. To think, queer relationships to some is considered adult or forbidden is insane. Awesome that she was willing to take steps to include queer themes despite the risks.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
God, I wish Steven Universe was on the air when I was a kid. Every little bit of culture around me iterated over and over again how the way I felt made me some sort of alien, dirty, ineffectual, demon-possessed deviant. My mom getting drunk and talking about how disgusting gay men are didn't help, either.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

basically confirming what we already knew about the mysterious 8th party member that was delayed to be DLC but never materialized.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
<3 She is somehow a better person then the art she creates, a feat that is increasingly clear is not often the case

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Another great Rebecca Sugar interview (this time with Entertainment Weekly), but this one is truly remarkable and eye-opening. It's the most frank, personal, and straight-forward Sugar has been with the struggles and importance of including LGBTQ content in Steven Universe. It's honestly astounding to hear how hard she fought and how personal it was for her.

EW Article:Steven Universe creator has done more for LGBTQ visibility than you might know

There's a lot of quotes here since I think some of the points she brings up simply need to be highlighted.

I'll stop my quotes there, but definitely read the rest of the article. It's one of the most insightful interviews Sugar has ever done.

I love this show so damn much. I can't wait to see what they do after Steven Universe.

basically confirming what we already knew about the mysterious 8th party member that was delayed to be DLC but never materialized.

the last thing they said about DLC is that they couldn't say anything about it, right? Hopefully that means it's still coming?

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Lapis was pretty adamant until Reunited about choosing not to fight alongside the Crystal Gems. Now that she's had that character development (and the show has provided a bit more examples of her powers), it kind of makes more sense for her to be added as a party member via DLC.

However, it wouldn't fit with the game's place in the show's timeline, since Lars is still on Earth and not-pink in the game.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Lapis was pretty adamant until Reunited about choosing not to fight alongside the Crystal Gems. Now that she's had that character development (and the show has provided a bit more examples of her powers), it kind of makes more sense for her to be added as a party member via DLC.

However, it wouldn't fit with the game's place in the show's timeline, since Lars is still on Earth and not-pink in the game.

UNLESS FURTHER DOWN TIMELINE DLC?

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

I hope we get some episode addressing her problems with them. The fact that she never had words with any member of the crystal gems has been a significant blemish on the show for me.

Part of me is expecting Lapis leaves the team after she reforms and sees that Bismuth, her possible attacker, is right there.

The interview sheds light on some things I always suspected had been going on behind the scenes. The idea that gay themes are sexual content inappropriate for polite company and The Children is found in more people than just conservative or religious bigots. It's shockingly pervasive. "Progressive" persons often labor under the warped notion that LGBT people are unfortunate sufferers of an abnormal affliction. They should be pitied and cared for, but are not normal ("It's not natural".)

This is part of what feeds in to strong resistance against LGBT themes in many forms of media especially children's content. I've honestly been a bit shocked at how much the show has broken out of a lot of expectations for the category it is in. I seriously wonder what kind of impact it is having on a lot of kids and particularly teenagers.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
That interview confirms a lot of my suspicions as well - and Rebecca Sugar deserves so much credit for standing up to them.

I think we're reaching a point where LGBT content in adult media is starting to get a real foothold (even if it's not enough of a one yet), but representation in children's entertainment is still depressingly rare.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I hope we get some episode addressing her problems with them. The fact that she never had words with any member of the crystal gems has been a significant blemish on the show for me.

Part of me is expecting Lapis leaves the team after she reforms and sees that Bismuth, her possible attacker, is right there.
Don't say that. ;_;
That interview confirms a lot of my suspicions as well - and Rebecca Sugar deserves so much credit for standing up to them.

I think we're reaching a point where LGBT content in adult media is starting to get a real foothold (even if it's not enough of a one yet), but representation in children's entertainment is still depressingly rare.
Yeah, Steven Universe is a real trailblazer but I feel like it has only been able to do what it has since the gems aren't human. There hasn't been a single human queer relationship depicted in the show, though we know Mr. Smiley is confirmed gay. That said Stevonnie is a real breakthrough for non-binary representation in a cartoon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean i don't really see how a new thread would change much

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Yeah, Steven Universe is a real trailblazer but I feel like it has only been able to do what it has since the gems aren't human. There hasn't been a single human queer relationship depicted in the show, though we know Mr. Smiley is confirmed gay. That said Stevonnie is a real breakthrough for non-binary representation in a cartoon.

Absolutely - Stevonnie's when I first started paying real attention to the show, and I can't think of many cases of non-binary rep in any visual media let alone cartoons.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
The ol' "how am i supposed to explain this to my kids!?" rhetoric destroyed by Rebecca going "this is how" and even maybe "I've already done it" is beautiful.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely - Stevonnie's when I first started paying real attention to the show, and I can't think of many cases of non-binary rep in any visual media let alone cartoons.

Together Alone is when I went from watching three eps at a time before bed on netflix to catching up in 4 hour blocks after work every day. Garnet's expression when Stevonnie introduces themself to the gems gives me life.

Oct 25, 2017
Stevonnie's debut might be one of the most uncomfortable things i have watched and in a children's tv show no less.

And its not just the content of the episode (that last half especially) but the entire character and how you have to really think about these things.

Good on the team for being brave enough to tackle these issues and show it to a wider audience.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Alone Together might be the most important episode of the show

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Don't say that. ;_;

I disagree, I do not think being alien has much to do with it.

I think Steven Universe gets away with a lot because the gems visually express female.

Society has a really weird double standard with how it handles gay women versus gay men.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

I think Steven Universe gets away with a lot because the gems visually express female.

Society has a really weird double standard with how it handles gay women versus gay men.
That's an unfortunate truth that I've noticed as well

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That interview makes me hate it even more when people try to blow off the LGBT representation as 'they're genderless space rocks' as though that scrubs away or deludes the LGBT themes. I also dislike when people talk like the only reason they are able to 'get away' with it is because they're technically genderless space rocks, but now we see how hard they had to fight for it regardless.

It also makes me appreciate Steven Universe all the more that we're getting healthy LGBT representation like this while cartoons like Voltron still pulls the bury your gays trope in 20 freaking 18 and are mean-spirited enough to advertise the couple to the LGBT community just before pulling that disgusting trope. It's also another unfortunate display of how there's a huge double standard between how gay women and gay men are treated in media.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Imagine if it was flipped and it was a young girl hanging out with three gay space rock dudes. Cancelled before the pitch even finished.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would totally watch a show about a girl and her three gay alien space dads, but yeah, I could not see something like that flying, at least not yet. We have a long way to go.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

I stand by my point but you are right that the gems appearing like women makes it more palatable. You're also right about the disparity in representation between queer girls/women and queer boys/men.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by my point but you are right that the gems appearing like women makes it more palatable. You're also right about the disparity in representation between queer girls/women and queer boys/men.
That's why Andi Mack is an important show, I love that a character like Cyrus exists, now that he's out they have to give him a boyfriend.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The interview sheds light on some things I always suspected had been going on behind the scenes. The idea that gay themes are sexual content inappropriate for polite company and The Children is found in more people than just conservative or religious bigots. It's shockingly pervasive. "Progressive" persons often labor under the warped notion that LGBT people are unfortunate sufferers of an abnormal affliction. They should be pitied and cared for, but are not normal ("It's not natural".)

This is part of what feeds in to strong resistance against LGBT themes in many forms of media especially children's content. I've honestly been a bit shocked at how much the show has broken out of a lot of expectations for the category it is in. I seriously wonder what kind of impact it is having on a lot of kids and particularly teenagers.

I am extremely happy to be watching this show with my kids, for this reason. Teaches them early that this is all normal.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and say this is G.O.A.T shit at this point. As far as any discussion about the top animated shows of all time has to include this show.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I binged the whole show over he past week or two. Just incredible. I watched the first episode when it originally aired but kept putting off watching the show for some reason or another. I don't think I can begin to express just how much I love all the music. I must have listened to the ost dozens of times already. My only real complaint was towards the beginning of season 5 when they just left Lars in space and then had the string of Connie/Steven drama episodes. My girlfriend got so heated by that she almost stopped watching the show and now kind of hates Connie lol.

Post-S1 fight scenes so often look... disjointed. Occasional flashy attack with no real fluidity. I don't consider it that big of a deal, since this show's always been more character-driven than action-driven, but it does take away from the climactic nature of big episodes like Reunited. Yellow broke out into a sprint and stomped Steven into the ground, I thought, "Ooh now the fighting's getting good" and then... no more fighting. Perspective changes, just see a loop of Pearl standing there holding a laser trident and Amethyst thwacking something you can't see. And everything prior to that was just randomly tossing themselves into Blue.

It does make me miss season one.

SOPYX45.gif

It was really disappointing to see some of the awesome action early in the show and watch it slowly disappear. The flair of the rose quartz cannon or Opal's bow was really missed.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played that Steven Universe clicker game on iOS?

I've put a fair bit of time into it, because I have absolutely no control of my life, but this thing is bad. It's rotten with the worst types of F2P microtransaction garbage, and the art is horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.