• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, were there SU release patterns people were fooling themselves into seeing? Is the hiatus turning us into Smash fans?
We are the missing link. Those two chairs?
waluigi-time.900x.jpg

It's actually hinting at an Amethyst Assist Trophy and Yellow Diamond stage boss.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
been meaning to ask the people here, what do you think of the way streaming platforms have been releasing seasons all at once? do you like it that way or do you prefer it to be released steadily over time, say like in a 26 episode season they release 13 episodes over thirteen weeks take a couple of months break then release the rest of the season.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
been meaning to ask the people here, what do you think of the way streaming platforms have been releasing seasons all at once? do you like it that way or do you prefer it to be released steadily over time, say like in a 26 episode season they release 13 episodes over thirteen weeks take a couple of months break then release the rest of the season.
Actually prefer a constant schedule over time than all at once. It gives each week time for good discussion and keeps everyone is on the same page. It also makes the wait between seasons more bearable.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
I really wish Cartoon Network UK would just stick all the available seasons on Netflix. It's criminal how badly Steven Universe is handled over here. If you're not going to make an effort to air the show in a timely fashion on your actual channel, then at the very least stick up like seasons 1-4 on a streaming service to bring in new viewers and grow the UK fanbase.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm leaning towards the view that seasons made to be released all at once often makes for worse TV - having each episode not designed to stand by itself leads to worse pacing among a lot of the Netflix originals (although there are some notable exceptions).
SU had a weekly schedule when I first started watching, and I rather preferred it.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer a steady schedule with episodes released individually, the Netflix model dumping an entire season at once kills discussion, everyone watches at their own pace and that means people talk about the show in threads but rarely to each other, it's just a sea of spoiler tagged opinions and after two weeks the thread mostly dies because very little conversations were started.
I'm convinced there'd be no larger Steven Universe fandom had it been a Netflix show, all the shows with large and active communities seem to be one episode at a time shows.

Cartoon Network's scheduling for SU is far from perfect but I prefer it to the all at ince approach.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
From Legs to Homeworld hasn't even been aired on TV yet.

ha ha, imagine if we have to wait another week for a brand new episode because they decided to return to weekly episodes when they come back, ha ha

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer a steady schedule with episodes released individually, the Netflix model dumping an entire season at once kills discussion, everyone watches at their own pace and that means people talk about the show in threads but rarely to each other, it's just a sea of spoiler tagged opinions and after two weeks the thread mostly dies because very little conversations were started.
I'm convinced there'd be no larger Steven Universe fandom had it been a Netflix show, all the shows with large and active communities seem to be one episode at a time shows.

Cartoon Network's scheduling for SU is far from perfect but I prefer it to the all at ince approach.

Stories with deep lore get hurt by the Netflix dump, it kills the feelings of exploration and excitement that build between episodes with rewatches.

On the other hand, I think the Netflix model can elevate mysteries and weaker shows. Something the Disenchantment can use the sum of its parts to make a fan base grow, while the weaknesses of its first few episodes go largely forgotten by fans.

Anyways, SU would have been killed on the Netflix model after season 1.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Stories with deep lore get hurt by the Netflix dump, it kills the feelings of exploration and excitement that build between episodes with rewatches.

On the other hand, I think the Netflix model can elevate mysteries and weaker shows. Something the Disenchantment can use the sum of its parts to make a fan base grow, while the weaknesses of its first few episodes go largely forgotten by fans.

Anyways, SU would have been killed on the Netflix model after season 1.
Bojack Horseman succeeded despite the episode-dump model, but it was really rough at first. The first half of the season is mostly just comedy, but it isn't until later on that the show turns into the bleak, harsh analysis of depression that everybody knows it for. It had to rely on word-of-mouth though; early reviews only covered the first half, so it caused a lot of critics to write off the show. Thankfully, critics now recognize the show's merits.

The big difference is that Bojack had like 6-7 episodes to make that turn and it isn't a lore-heavy show. SU didn't hit its first big peak until episodes 25-26, and it didn't really become its full self until arguably The Return/Jailbreak, which were episodes 51 & 52.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I see Bojack as an example of a weaker show that was helped more then hurt by the Netflix dump. The first bunch of episodes had some very awkward points that were obscured by binging the whole season. I don't think that show would have done nearly as well on Fox as a weekly show.

Plus it helped that Netflix was willing to spend time and money for them to find their voice since they were desperate for some animation.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Every time someone bumps this thread with no news it gets pushed back a week

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
If Cartoon Network had just said that they're treating Reunited as a "season finale" (even though it isn't), then it would make the wait more bearable. Shows stay off the air for a few months between seasons, it's normal.

My best guess is that they're waiting to do another Wanted-like special with the next few episodes by airing them all in one night. Before the Wanted TV airing, Stuck Together released early on the app as a tease, just like Legs From Here to Homeworld was released early. LFHTH revealed a lot of stuff, but the episodes that come after are almost assuredly going to define the direction of the show for its last few seasons.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty sure they've done this before haven't they? saved the last episode(s) of the season and premiered them close to the first few episodes of the next season

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
i'm pretty sure they've done this before haven't they? saved the last episode(s) of the season and premiered them close to the first few episodes of the next season
The only time there's been a big gap between actual seasons was between Season 2's Log Date 7 15 2 (January 8) and Season 3's Super Watermelon Island (May 12). I remember this hiatus being hell (since that's when I got hardcore into the show), but now it makes sense to have such a long wait since it was between seasons.

But Cartoon Network doesn't really care about official gaps between seasons all that much. The gap between season 1 and 2 was only one month. Bubbled was the Season 3 finale and Season 4 started the very next day with The Kindergarten Kid. But those episodes were part of the giant Summer of Steven which had daily new episodes for a whole month.

What you're probably thinking about was the gap between the end of Season 4 and the beginning of Season 5. I Am My Mom ended Season 4 as part of a bomb on May 11, and then the Wanted special opened Season 5 and aired three weeks later on May 29. It's possible that they wanted the show to go on hiatus on a happy ending rather than leaving fans waiting for months on a massive cliffhanger.

Of course, after Wanted, the show went on a looonnngg multi-month hiatus. So I guess Lars' Head was CN's idea of a season finale. Maybe in our current, CN positioned Reunited as a season finale and ended the "season" early instead of also airing a few episodes from the following season before hiatus.

I mean, ending the "season" on Reunited makes a ton of sense as its the show's biggest and most climactic episode thus far.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random question, but why does it seem like Garnet is going without her shades for the whole crossover episode? I'm not complaining, but it seems like kind of a weird thing to do.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
to make her face more expressive maybe?
Garnet is not in "stoic badass mode" for most of the episode, since she seems to immediately love and protect KO. He undoubtedly reminds her of Steven, but he could also remind her of Ruby (KO and Ruby's designs influenced one another). Either way, that "10 out of 10" gag shows that she finds KO adorable.

If viewers have never seen Garnet before, it's a lot easier to accept and understand her as this loving, supporting, ass-kicking super-mom if they can see the full range of her facial expressions and emotions. The shades worked when Garnet was the stone-faced cool leader in Season 1, but she's opened up a lot since then.

As a reminder, Ian JQ said that something canon involving Garnet will be revealed in this crossover episode. It's probably some silly side thing like "Garnet regularly plays tennis with Greg" (which ended up being put into a SU episode). But it's canon nonetheless.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing steven universe was shown at nycc. Theres been 13 episodes this year. In 2015 and 2016 there was 38. Jeez.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just wanted to vent about the hiatus. Its just completley ruined the show for me

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nothing steven universe was shown at nycc. Theres been 13 episodes this year. In 2015 and 2016 there was 38. Jeez.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just wanted to vent about the hiatus. Its just completley ruined the show for me
We know theirs one more arc, change your mind, it will have legs
The final episode of season 5
And the first few of s6

Give us change your mind release date
Cn you cowards

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The piece of absolute, irrefutable canon related to Garnet has been revealed on the OK KO Crossover Nexus special!

Garnet's shades are prescription and help her focus.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It really can be hard as an SU fan. As bad as Avatar and Korra were treated by Nick at least they were showed consistently on the network.

Er... Sort of. There was that one time ten years ago they showed the last half of season 3 of Avatar, including the series finale, in single week. Now that's a Steven Bomb

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
The piece of absolute, irrefutable canon related to Garnet has been revealed on the OK KO Crossover Nexus special!

Garnet's shades are prescription and help her focus.

SU Theorists are shook. Nobody could have seen this coming!

... Just wait for this joke of a fact to actually come up in the next SU arc. I mean, if the Uncle Grandpa special can be crucial to the S1 finale...

It really can be hard as an SU fan. As bad as Avatar and Korra were treated by Nick at least they were showed consistently on the network.

Er... Sort of. There was that one time ten years ago they showed the last half of season 3 of Avatar, including the series finale, in single week. Now that's a Steven Bomb

Ah yes. How awful for Steven Universe fans. The only show to ever go a few months without a new episode. Also the only show to ever be screwed by a network's release schedule against the creators' wishes. Good thing it's the only show on-air right now being well & wholly screwed by its schedule. I'd hate for any other network to have this issue, too. The indignity of going 80 days without an episode is the clearest sign a show is about to be cancelled. We lack a current Homestar Runner thread, but there's that, too.

Steven Universe arguably has a better schedule than many other shows. It's still not good, but it's been treated better than any of the shows I linked above.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Other shows have diffrent episode and season structures

Out of that list, Ducktales & OK K.O. have very similar structures. Hell, OK K.O. waited months between parts of an arc. Like, it didn't even end on a cliffhanger like Legs from Here to Homeworld. We just got 2/3 of an arc in early Summer, then an arc & a few bonus episodes just now. Bob's Burgers similarly will take about 1.5 years to get through random episodes being dropped w/ no fanfare, & sometimes being pre-empted by football so even if you think to record it, you might accidentally DVR Zombie Simpsons.

Again, Steven Universe has an abnormal season structure, & its schedule is still wack, but Steven Universe still got to Season 6 in around 5 years. Venture Bros. just wrapped up Season 7 after celebrating its 15th anniversary earlier this year. I'll take Steven Universe's release schedule over Venture Bros.' any day of the week.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
What the hell is up with some of the hate on YouTube against the show? Not going to link to it, but I got suggested a video from some channel called "Lily" about how SU is garbage, and it has over a million views.

Like, I knew not everybody likes it, duh , like any show, but the comments seem to be people who think the show is racist, homophobic, or badly drawn? It was like watching (didn't finish it) a video where good things were bad and I was trying to determine if it was a joke. And there wasn't really one well-defined reason why the channel thinks it's bad. It's a two hour rant, really, about nitpicks and insane interpretations of what happens in the show.

It was insane criticism of "filler episodes" and honestly, just anything. And constant comparisons to Avatar: The Last Airbender that don't really apply to a show like SU.

Help me understand how this ia somewhat widespread. Or is it just YouTube algorithms messing with reality?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is up with some of the hate on YouTube against the show? Not going to link to it, but I got suggested a video from some channel called "Lily" about how SU is garbage, and it has over a million views.

Like, I knew not everybody likes it, duh , like any show, but the comments seem to be people who think the show is racist, homophobic, or badly drawn? It was like watching (didn't finish it) a video where good things were bad and I was trying to determine if it was a joke. And there wasn't really one well-defined reason why the channel thinks it's bad. It's a two hour rant, really, about nitpicks and insane interpretations of what happens in the show.

It was insane criticism of "filler episodes" and honestly, just anything. And constant comparisons to Avatar: The Last Airbender that don't really apply to a show like SU.

Help me understand how this ia somewhat widespread. Or is it just YouTube algorithms messing with reality?
Is that the video from the racist or the video saying Rebecca Sugar is a nazi

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017

There was a post recently on the SU subreddit tearing down that video. Apparently Lily claims/implies that since the Diamonds are space Nazis and they're being redeemed, Rebecca Sugar, a Jewish nonbinary person, is a Nazi sympathizer. She also goes into that "ACTUALLY THE SHOW IS ANTI-LGBT" stance that I've seen stupid people on Tumblr take. She basically frames a lot of the problems with the show as personal attacks against Sugar. Whatever your feelings on the show's flaws (and it isn't perfect), that's fucked up.

"Why [X] is Garbage" videos are generally terrible, but they get literally millions of views. And since the show is very feminine, progressive, and, well, really gay, it's a target for edgelords, alt-righters, wannabe alphas, etc.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
There was a post recently on the SU subreddit tearing down that video. Apparently Lily claims/implies that since the Diamonds are space Nazis and they're being redeemed, Rebecca Sugar, a Jewish nonbinary person, is a Nazi sympathizer. She also goes into that "ACTUALLY THE SHOW IS ANTI-LGBT" stance that I've seen stupid people on Tumblr take. She basically frames a lot of the problems with the show as personal attacks against Sugar. Whatever your feelings on the show's flaws (and it isn't perfect), that's fucked up.

"Why [X] is Garbage" videos are generally terrible, but they get literally millions of views. And since the show is very feminine, progressive, and, well, really gay, it's a target for edgelords, alt-righters, wannabe alphas, etc.

That was my initial interpretation as well, but I have zero context about that channel and I didn't want to give it anymore of my time or views, which is why I decided to ask you guys.

It was some warped stuff, to say the least.

And yeah, they basically mark Sugar as a Nazi! Wtf.

And it pains me to see this, but I have noticed ATLA being used a lot by edge lords and anti-progressive fanboys as a way to bludgeon feminine driven series, much like everything is compared to the Star Wars Original Trilogy by some as a way to criticize anything that isn't like it.

Sugar might as well be their version of Kathleen Kennedy. Gets personally attack for everything they don't like.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
And it pains me to see this, but I have noticed ATLA being used a lot by edge lords and anti-progressive fanboys as a way to bludgeon feminine driven series, much like everything is compared to the Star Wars Original Trilogy by some as a way to criticize anything that isn't like it.
Ah, the classic "This old show was better!" technique to get people on your shitty, bigoted side. All while conveniently ignoring the fact that ATLA's sequel series ended with its female protagonist in a romantic relationship with another woman.

ATLA is better than Steven Universe in some respects (animation quality and consistency especially) and weaker in others (I find the sci-fi lore in SU stronger). But, hear me out here, I believe it's possible to...enjoy both shows at the same time without pissing around about which one is better.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to me that Steven Universe would be an easy target for stuff like that with it being considered(rightfully so) by many to be the best cartoon of the modern age and the fact that it wears its progressive beliefs very proudly on its sleeve.
Also just because the diamonds aren't trying to kill all of our heroes right now doesn't make them redeemed not even close....hell the only reason they're even humoring Steven is probably because of how guilty they feel in regards to Pink. Like I don't think they really feel all that bad about what happened to the corrupted gems and they only tried to help because it was what 'Pink' wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that Steven universe sucks video in my playlist and was like "oh boy here we go".

These Dove videos continue to hit it out of the park tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.