• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, the classic "This old show was better!" technique to get people on your shitty, bigoted side. All while conveniently ignoring the fact that ATLA's sequel series ended with its female protagonist in a romantic relationship with another woman.

ATLA is better than Steven Universe in some respects (animation quality and consistency especially) and weaker in others (I find the sci-fi lore in SU stronger). But, hear me out here, I believe it's possible to...enjoy both shows at the same time without pissing around about which one is better.

As a fan of ATLA, Korra, and Steven Universe, the thought of not being able to enjoy one of them because it isn't the same as the other is alien to me. Few things anymore are judged on its own merits, but just judged on the nostalgia everybody has about something else.

I managed to catch two pieces of contradictory criticism from them: Steven Universe has both unnecessary episodes and is too serialized at the same time, apparently?

And it's not like ATLA didn't just copy the structure and Hero's Journey of the Star Wars Original Trilogy anyway and added "filler" stories to make it last three seasons, but that would just be a neat fact, not a reason to call ATLA "garbage" for having an episode about the Grand Canyon and not being as "tight" as Star Wars.

Oh god, now I fear the think pieces and stupid videos that are going to pop up now with the Netflix live-action ATLA series.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I honest hate the way ATLA is treated by people these days. The show isn't perfect and I say that as a Avatar superfan. But people these days can't see past their rose-tinted glasses.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I honest hate the way ATLA is treated by people these days. The show isn't perfect and I say that as a Avatar superfan. But people these days can't see past their rose-tinted glasses.
The first season is kinda whatever, but it picks up later and becomes the show everyone loves in Season 2.

That sentence can apply to both ATLA and SU. Early ATLA is pretty standard Nickelodeon stuff, just like early SU is pretty childish and not too different from other Cartoon Network shows.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I disagree. Season 1 has The Storm. And The Blue Spirit. Those back to back episodes, not to mention the amazing finale of Season 1, is no where near standard Nick fare.

to be honest I never really agreed that season 1 of Steven Universe was typical Cartoon Network fair either.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I like avatar but think it's a little overrated....still a great show though

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is up with some of the hate on YouTube against the show? Not going to link to it, but I got suggested a video from some channel called "Lily" about how SU is garbage, and it has over a million views.

Like, I knew not everybody likes it, duh , like any show, but the comments seem to be people who think the show is racist, homophobic, or badly drawn? It was like watching (didn't finish it) a video where good things were bad and I was trying to determine if it was a joke. And there wasn't really one well-defined reason why the channel thinks it's bad. It's a two hour rant, really, about nitpicks and insane interpretations of what happens in the show.

It was insane criticism of "filler episodes" and honestly, just anything. And constant comparisons to Avatar: The Last Airbender that don't really apply to a show like SU.

Help me understand how this ia somewhat widespread. Or is it just YouTube algorithms messing with reality?

I've been getting a few of those on my re recommendations because YouTube knows I like Steven universe

3cett4pokqm11.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is up with some of the hate on YouTube against the show? Not going to link to it, but I got suggested a video from some channel called "Lily" about how SU is garbage, and it has over a million views.

Like, I knew not everybody likes it, duh , like any show, but the comments seem to be people who think the show is racist, homophobic, or badly drawn? It was like watching (didn't finish it) a video where good things were bad and I was trying to determine if it was a joke. And there wasn't really one well-defined reason why the channel thinks it's bad. It's a two hour rant, really, about nitpicks and insane interpretations of what happens in the show.

It was insane criticism of "filler episodes" and honestly, just anything. And constant comparisons to Avatar: The Last Airbender that don't really apply to a show like SU.

Help me understand how this ia somewhat widespread. Or is it just YouTube algorithms messing with reality?

I think the views are due to youtube's algorithm jamming it in everyone's suggestions. I saw it too but didn't watch

Oct 25, 2017
If we're saying controversial truths, Book 3 of Korra is the best season of either Avatar show.

Eh i thought Korra Book 3 was just fine but it being the closest to ATLA at the time helped i feel
(The crew was almost like the "evil" versions of the ATLA team)

I will still give the first part of season 1 (until you know what) as the best Korra season.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Eh i thought Korra Book 3 was just fine but it being the closest to ATLA at the time helped i feel
(The crew was almost like the "evil" versions of the ATLA team)

I will still give the first part of season 1 (until you know what) as the best Korra season.
Eh 3 and 4 are better though 1 is a good self contained season until it wasn't

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Its fine to go off topic a little but try not to make the conversation get completely taken over by it

Oct 25, 2017
Eh 3 and 4 are better though 1 is a good self contained season until it wasn't

i like 3 but 4 did nothing for me tbh.

Now this is a good take. First few episodes of Korra S1 were the only episodes I'd say really lived up to being A:TLA's sequel. Then... yeah, the writing happened.

From the moment
Amon was revealed to be an actual sham the whole thing crumbled imo

To return on topic i hope that the episode that supposedly haven't aired yet appears soon or its really looking like sometime in 2019 :(

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Tap Togther is so eeehhh, and yet for some dumb reason I keep playing it. It's been really pushing its pay to win nature lately when one of the nice things about it before it came out of beta was that it really wasn't pushing you to buy things as hard. The first event they did was balanced pretty well that free to play players could reach the same goals as the pay to win players with a little extra time an effort. However, the two newest events have been much, much harder to get anywhere on without paying for it. It doesn't help that they've been pushing their 'special sales' a lot lately too with notifications you can't even remove from the screen. They honest to goodness wanted something like fifty dollars to instantly unlock Pearl and they treat that like its such a deal. I could almost buy an entirely new game for that sort of money.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is a good take. First few episodes of Korra S1 were the only episodes I'd say really lived up to being A:TLA's sequel. Then... yeah, the writing happened.

Really? I thought the show did not live up to ATLA until Season 3 and the latter half of Season 4.

Honestly Korra Season 3 is better than every ATLA season except 2. Season 2 eats the entirety of the show's lunch.

On topic: Is Attack The Light worth the purchase? Got some extra cash left on my switch and have been looking for a game to buy.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Really? I thought the show did not live up to ATLA until Season 3 and the latter half of Season 4.

Honestly Korra Season 3 is better than every ATLA season except 2. Season 2 eats the entirety of the show's lunch.

On topic: Is Attack The Light worth the purchase? Got some extra cash left on my switch and have been looking for a game to buy.
Attack the Light is the mobile game, Save the Light is the console game.

Despite its bugginess, Save the Light is a must-play if you're a Steven Universe fan. If you can stomach the bugginess, you can tell that the game was made by people who love and understand the show. It's a really fun JRPG-esque game. I'm not sure how it runs on the Switch though.

Plus, it's more or less canon, since the villain Hessonite is name-dropped by Centipeetle/Nephrite in Legs From Here to Homeworld. It's always possible it was another Hessonite, but the commander from Centipeetle's crayon flashback matches the silhouette and gem placement of Save the Light's Hessonite.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey this thread got bumped so now I don't have to feel bad about bumping this to say...

If you guys are missing SU give Hilda on netflix a watch. It's not quite the same (actually it's closer to gravity falls with a focus on adventure than mystery) but still. It's a solid show and deserves more attention.

that is all :P

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
oh hey this thread got bumped so now I don't have to feel bad about bumping this to say...

If you guys are missing SU give Hilda on netflix a watch. It's not quite the same (actually it's closer to gravity falls with a focus on adventure than mystery) but still. It's a solid show and deserves more attention.

that is all :P
Seconding this. Very nice little show, though it rubbed me the wrong way a little at the beginning.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
can't wait for the multiple youtube half-hour-long plot and airing speculations of a fucking shirt, lol

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
white diamond confirmed to be only about as tall as your torso

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder to the thread that Save The Light comes out on switch tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.