• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Episode after that is on New Year's Eve too. Don't know what CN was thinking with this scheduling.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are testing if traditional scheduling still applies in a streaming age.

obviously the TV airings will have down numbers, but the holidays also mean the kids have time off, so if they make sure they know about the new episodes it's quite possible that even during the holidays the streaming numbers won't go down at all.

SU has kind of been their streaming guinea pig for a while now.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i rewatched the trailer and there's just something hilarious about Steven and Yellow Diamond chewing the fat in a steam room

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
thanks to hulu, i've been watching a lot of this show. finally finished up season 1 and despite a lot of cute, weird, creepy, and fun things happening throughout, i think jail break was the first truly great episode.

with every season now being half the length of season 1 i hope it means the town stuff is over. i can recognize season 1 needing to set up steven as a naive and somewhat annoying kid who's got his heart in the right place and slowly improves (and watching him very gradually gain control over his powers has been pretty neat). but given where i think the fanbase actually appreciates it, i'm hoping to be on board with the show more fully from here on out.

just a minor gripe, but greg and steven have this weird squeakiness to their voices and it makes it really hard to watch the show sometimes. like it sounds like the actor is just yelling for steven at all times while greg's is putting on a slightly 'wacky' voice. it makes scenes with them just a little more annoying than they would be otherwise.

Say what you will about Greg but Steven is basically 13. Of course his voice is squeaky. He's not voiced by a 30 year old lmao

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about Greg but Steven is basically 13. Of course his voice is squeaky. He's not voiced by a 30 year old lmao

it sounds like an older guy trying to do a kid's voice. this was really apparent in season 3.

by the way seasons 2 and 3 really pick up a lot and i'm hooked, but i recognize season 1 as super necessary to establish the series.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like an older guy trying to do a kid's voice. this was really apparent in season 3.

by the way seasons 2 and 3 really pick up a lot and i'm hooked, but i recognize season 1 as super necessary to establish the series.
who are your favorite characters so far?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

even now Zach is only 21

but yeah, Zach hit puberty in the middle of the show, happens a lot when you cast a child actor.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
even now Zach is only 21

but yeah, Zach hit puberty in the middle of the show, happens a lot when you cast a child actor.

that's understandable, but plenty of shows just let the voice actor age when they don't recast. adventure time just let finn get older and it was fine. hey arnold found a way to keep a voice actor whose voice was changing by writing around it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
that's understandable, but plenty of shows just let the voice actor age when they don't recast. adventure time just let finn get older and it was fine. hey arnold found a way to keep a voice actor whose voice was changing by writing around it.
They have actually let Steven age to some degree. Go back and rewatch some of the early episodes, Steven sounds quite a bit different (just like if you do the same with adventure time)

they stopped having him try to force the younger voice.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Steven's gotten maybe 2 years older since the start? the series has been around for a lot longer than that lol

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
who are your favorite characters so far?

for the first season, it was probably connie. i feel like more than steven, she winds up being a bit of the audience surrogate as a normal person who's fascinated by the gems even though the audience is supposed to identify with steven more i guess. i think peridot is good comic relief too.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
They're in a steam room so you know they're going to have a meaningful discussion

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i like pearl, but i got to the 'it's over, isn't it' scene and i felt nothing.

it might be due to my awareness of that scene existing prior i guess. the training scene with her and connie affected me more. pearl's lack of self-worth driving her need to be in relationships felt a lot more impactful than realizing that a cherished relationship is over.

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that yellow helps them escape, she's more pragmatic and if she thinks Pink leaving will be the best for her then that's what has to be done. Blue is too emotional, she finally got Pink back after 5000 years and I doubt she'll just let her hop back into her ship.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
We got what I guess is a leak for a new dove project vid

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could've stood to be longer...but that's none of my Bismuth

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
This press release has a few new screenshots from unreleased episodes in its gallery.

steven-universe2.jpg

steven-universe3.jpg

steven-universe4.jpg

steven-universe5.jpg

steven-universe6.jpg

we minish cap now

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
well i'm all caught up. now i can share in the agonizing wait for the next episode. two days until a new episode? damn. i guess i know exactly what y'all went through.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
random thoughts now that i'm caught up:

-i like the weird shit. even in season 1 where there's some fucked up body horror stuff. the fact that it's paced out pretty well is great because it constantly feels alien and new, like lars's change in season 5.
-the show makes me root for people i never expected to root for. i didn't really care about steven at first, but i think he's a lot more like aang now than steven universe of season 1. i always kinda liked lars just because it was fun seeing an asshole (and one that wasn't as bad as kevin) from time to time, but his 'okay, okay, OKAY! buildup to his takedown of the last scanner was when i was fully on board with him. that was an awesome moment.
-season 4 is my favorite, but i do enjoy a lot out of all of them from 2-5.
-pearl was my favorite gem of season 1, and at the end of season 5 it's a lot easier to see why she feels so jealous of greg.
-peridot is constantly hilarious. lapis lazuli kinda sucks.
-the marriage in season 5 was surprisingly great.
-in general i really love the way lgbt themes are shown off in the show. i knew this was a big element of the show's appeal going in, so i don't have anything new to say. but stuff like pearl going after the mystery girl and them hitting it off is pretty great.
-it sorta feels like things are winding down. there's been this everpresent looming threat since season 1 and now that it seems it will be resolved soon, i have no idea how they're going to continue it moving forward.
-a lot of the themes they explore in the show are fucking great - that it's okay to be scared, that you have to face and accept bad feelings, that crying is okay, and how love is shown many times over as real power.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know that if the new episodes of Diamond Days will show up in vol. 7 of Steven Universe on iTunes?

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
full version of the dove video that was posted a few days ago

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know that if the new episodes of Diamond Days will show up in vol. 7 of Steven Universe on iTunes?
Pretty sure they're waiting for the next episode (Familiar) to air so they can pair it with Legs on Vol. 7. Afterwards I assume Vol. 8 will come online after the next two episodes that follow air (Together Alone & Escapism) and since Battle of Heart & Mind is composed of 4 episodes that'll slot in neatly too. That would be the logical way to do it but sometimes iTunes doesn't do things logically. The delay between uploading Legs and the upcoming episode might cause them to not pair them, and then things get dicey.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Okay then people reminder that we get a new episode at 7:30 eastern tonight which means that discussion of said episode must be spoilered until after the west coast airing at 7:30 pacific/10:30 Eastern. I'll make a post later with a threadmark before the episode starts.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I hear rumors that Venture bros is powered by the soul of an orphan child

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I got out early. I'll be able to watch the east coast feed with some of y'all after all. Nice.

And you mean to tell me the episode hasn't even leaked yet? Truly a xmas miracle.
though it seems the episode's song might be out there in full for some reason

Spoiler tag discussion for the Steven Universe episode Familiar starts here
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a good time to start it, if you're tuning in to the thread and haven't seen the episode yet the Diamond Days Steven Universe episode "Familiar" will be discussed in spoiler tags from this point until 1045 eastern tonight.

I'll add another threadmark when open spoilers are allowed.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
pretty good episode
i found the fact that they drew a parallel between Pink and Steven when he was little pretty interesting. I guess the rebellion was her angsty teenage years.

Status
Not open for further replies.