• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Definitely a calm before the storm episode.
I was a little bothered that Stevonnie/Steven didn't just shrink using shapeshifting, but I've accepted that Steven's powers are always going to be something of a plot convenience type thing.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
maxresdefault.jpg

kiki.jpg

latest

Mar 9, 2018
tenor.gif

Me during that episode.

I thought at first, "wow, Bismuth? This is gonna be more interesting than we thought...". Nope! At least the cool episodes are coming soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Guys you need to spoil some of the shit you're saying

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
I've read a theory that the Watermelon politics are foreshadowing what is going to happen in the gem-empire.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
so how many times has Steven become watermelon god so far

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
I've read a theory that the Watermelon politics are foreshadowing what is going to happen in the gem-empire.
I think that's pretty solid as well. Anyways, I don't think there's a more quintessentially Steven Universe moment than the first episodes in like 5 months travelling at lightspeed rushed pacing then immediately being interrupted by a 11 minute episode about tribes of sentient watermelon people, boarded by the showrunner for Adventure Time's second half, followed by a two week hiatus before an hour long season finale meant to resolve like 3 years of plot escalation in 44 odd minutes. I'm not even sure if my thoughts on the episode are positive or negative beyond the eyeroll when I realized the writers found a way to somehow shove a quirky slice of life episode right before the big final showdown. Like, imagine if right before you entered the final dungeon in a JRPG you had to go back to complete like a snowboarding level or whatever to save the turtle tribe from the first disk.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I actually really enjoyed the episode once it got going....so many references

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked the episode a lot, but then I also think I like "Breather" Steven Universe more than most. I actually think these type of episodes are like, half of what makes the show what it is, the slice of life stuff, side character developments, and seeing the growth of the cast, their stories, and interweaving/some pulling away from the main plot.

I thought it was a good episode and actually fit well into the arc, and was a fun way to subvert some expectations while also developing some side plots a bit during this arc, and had a good atmosphere to all of it that made it almost relaxing to watch.

Dec 28, 2018
The Diamond Days arc has probably been one of my favourite Steven Universe arcs in a long while with one great episode after another, but this episode ruined that streak. I don't think the episode was all that bad it was just kinda boring to me. I'll admit that I didn't think that Steven would try to contact Bismuth or that we'd see the watermelon Stevens again before the episode aired. And while it was neat I would have rather Steven went to Lars and the off colours. Also my biggest disappointment was that we didn't get to see Lapis or Peridot reformed, was really hoping that would happen after Steven got back to earth but alas that's for another time. Also I can't really hate the episode since it feels like a calm before the storm kind of episode considering what we have coming up next. As for the song it was good, nothing much else to say about it. Certainly not the worst episode in all of Steven Universe but rather a boring follow up to a really good previous episode./SPOILER]

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Nice episode.

That said, this here is the danger of the non-bomb format: breather episodes that are not 100% plot and therefore primed to disappoint.

I actually liked the episode a lot, but then I also think I like "Breather" Steven Universe more than most. I actually think these type of episodes are like, half of what makes the show what it is, the slice of life stuff, side character developments, and seeing the growth of the cast, their stories, and interweaving/some pulling away from the main plot.

I thought it was a good episode and actually fit well into the arc, and was a fun way to subvert some expectations while also developing some side plots a bit during this arc, and had a good atmosphere to all of it that made it almost relaxing to watch.

Same. My only disappointment was not seeing Lapis and Peridot.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A song title from battle of heart and mind has leaked

Change your mind was the original title of this hourlong special

End Spoilers for 'Escapism'
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to ask you guys to be more conscientious about this stuff in the future I saw way too much open discussion about this episode before the appointed time.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair
  • Wasn't me
  • Wasn't anything to spoil. The episode was a big nothing
I saw open discussion on the basic premise of the episode which was not previewed by CN so its a spoiler in my book. Whether it was 'nothing' or not has no bearing on the fact that specific discussion on the episode is supposed to be spoilered until the west coast airing is done.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for a stupid question but I'm sorta new to the thread, and I was wondering if open discussion was allowed yet?
Yeah I made a threadmark about it a few posts up. Basically discussion is allowed after the west coast airing which is 3 hours after the initial east coast airing

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely felt like a fusion of an adventure time and Steven universe episode which I greatly enjoyed.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I definitely didn't expect a Watermelon Steven episode after last week but I'm not mad at it. Then again, I actually like most of the lighter episodes. The break, though...

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that was disappointing.

How will Bismuth be able to back Steven up?

Repair the Galaxy Warp?

Lars just happened to return after Steven left and they take his ship? They could get to Lars through Lion if he hasn't returned, but does Bismuth even know about that?

Dec 28, 2018
This episode reminds of how I tend to feel about the townie episodes. Not bad but no that good either and as such I find this episode to be rather meh. And just like the townie episodes I wouldn't call this a filler episode as some do and have already for this one, but only the beginning and end of the episode felt like it really mattered. I feel like if all the stuff with the watermelon Stevens were to be cut out nothing of value would be lost. But I will say I was surprised they went that route, I was so sure we would be getting Lars to help out or maybe even Topaz. I'm pretty curious as to what even Bismuth can do to help. Like how would she even be able to get to Homeworld in the first place? And if even she does figure a way out how will she even be able to get there fast enough? Can't help but feel that Lars would have been the better option, kinda annoyed that Steven didn't even mention him in the episode at all. Would have been nice if he even attempted to contact Lars but oh well. Sucks that we have a two week break until Battle of Heart and Mind but I guess that's better than going on a hiatus for months on end.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to ask you guys to be more conscientious about this stuff in the future I saw way too much open discussion about this episode before the appointed time.

Can we just do away with that rule and treat this thread like every other broadcast tv thread on this forum? West Coast people know by now a thread will be filled with spoilers after the east coast broadcast and if you want to avoid them then ignore the thread till after you've seen the episode. Spoiler tagging everything for 3 hours after the initial broadcast just seems like something that's being done for the benefit of no one cause all everyone wants to talk about after an episode airs, is the episode that just aired. No one is regularly entering the thread to talk about stuff outside the most recent episode during that 3 hour window.

Mar 9, 2018
I have seen theories that the Watermelon fight was foreshadowing. If it is, I have to ask -- why? What's the point? If it really is foreshadowing, and it is foreshadowing something that is happening in the next set of episodes...maybe that's too much foreshadowing. I think it's too on the nose, if that really is foreshadowing. It would make Steven's world seem less real.

Dec 28, 2018
You know if Lapis and Peridot end up getting involved in Battle of Heart and Mind because of Escapism, then this episode will have gone from meh to greatness. Man I really hope that those two somehow get involved.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I feel like unless the Watermelon Steven's DO have some sort of significance, than this whole watermelon island mini-arc could have just been done as a one-off after the Homeworld stuff. I don't know, it just seems so backwards to me to interrupt plot relevant episodes with seemingly irrelevant ones, but that may just be because I'm used to anime usually putting stuff like that as OVAs.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They literally could have just skipped all that shit straight to a conversation with Bismuth and Greg.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I think I appreciate this episode as much as a joke on the audience as anything. Steven is just as frustrated as the viewers are, and it's great.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I usually don't mind the townie episodes but I can't stand the watermelon episodes.

This was basically a bad episode of adventure time, and it completely killed the momentum. The only thing of worth that happened is that Steven managed to contact Earth, but that could have been done in 1-2 minutes, not 11, and didn't need a pointless watermelon detour.

Also the song was basically just to avoid having to get Bismuth's voice actress back before the special.

Also did Steven possess a watermelon Steven with a mind of its own and then get it maimed and possibly killed? That's weirdly unethical.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a nice breather, and foreshadowing for a Gem Civil War, didn't mind it much.

We've got an all-singing, all-dancing hour-long special in a fortnight. I can wait a bit.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This was a nothing episode, complete waste of time.

Yeah I made a threadmark about it a few posts up. Basically discussion is allowed after the west coast airing which is 3 hours after the initial east coast airing
People are free to ignore that and post openly after the east coast airing. You can have the opinion that discussion should be spoiler tagged, others can disagree.

Can we just do away with that rule and treat this thread like every other broadcast tv thread on this forum?
It's not actually a rule amd was already ignored by a moderator, so ..

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I have seen theories that the Watermelon fight was foreshadowing. If it is, I have to ask -- why? What's the point? If it really is foreshadowing, and it is foreshadowing something that is happening in the next set of episodes...maybe that's too much foreshadowing. I think it's too on the nose, if that really is foreshadowing. It would make Steven's world seem less real.
Well, it basically is.

Watermelon Steven is trapped on an island with 2 factions that want him to live to their standards: one ruled by emotion and one ruled by aggression. Steven just wants to escape, and after seeing this the two sides put aside their differences to help him build a ship and escape.

Likewise we know Yellow and Blue are going to have a fight over Steven in the next episodes and likely they will end up helping him escape.

And maybe white diamond is the fish?

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Felt the episode had more going for after watching it on second airing (didn't know they reair the episodes 6AM the following Tuesday).

Steven has been going about this Diamond problem in a pascifist/diplomatic manner.

He's transported to a pascifist tribe who are more preoccupied with peace than helping him. This is one side of his persona... he leaves to find a means to escape.

He's held captive by a war like tribe (maybe representing those who learned being passive didn't work when fighting Malachite) who are more concerned with converting him to a fighter than helping him. He again leaves to find a means to escape.

Both tribes come together and contribute parts of themselves to build a means for Steven's escape. The compromise is driven home when he uses both agressive action and compassion to defeat Melonshark.

I think in the final, he decides there's a time to talk, and a time to fight... when protecting his loved ones. So rather than conquering Blue and Yellow with mindtricks like he did after the wedding, he'll need to get his hands dirty. I like this episode, it foreshadows a lot without beating you over the head.

(Lol seems like many came to similar conclusions)

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Why not call the guy with a Space Ship and portal home located in his hair?

Like seriously
Several have said this, but I kinda' get the impression that Steven didn't really choose fully where he landed. Like he was trying to figure this out, doesn't have full control over his dream travel yet, started going way too fast and ended up within the watermelon again, and thus was frustrated.

As to why not going for Lars, in general I get the impression Lars is on a slower ship headed back to Earth than what the Diamonds/Gems have, and is taking a while to get to Earth. I imagine it'd take a while to get back to Homeworld from where he is if he hasn't even hit Earth yet since he left.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Now that I watched it twice, I really like it.
I guess they had to use something to foreshadow the end of arc, it's just weird that they picked the watermelon island for that.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
That was great and layered. Agree with the analysis in the thread about how it shows the pacifist and aggressive routes working together so Steven can learn from it. This was a better way for him to have a hard time contacting Earth than having him deal with space stuff in the dream plane.

And I love how the show doesn't downplay the fact that Steven can literally CREATE LIFE. The watermelon people are relevant to this day and keep developing social structures. OT, but it's something I'd like to see tackled in Elsa from Frozen (she sneezes and creates life, and that deserves more impact).

edit: lol I don't know how anyone who gets angry at this episode in the middle of this saga even managed to reach this season of the show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.