• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The Love Like You (Reprise) from the Volume 2 Soundtrack is jaw-dropping with how it builds to the lyrics, and the harmonizing near the end is like an emotional dropkick to the heart.

In news, Steven Universe won a Peabody Award in the Children's Entertainment category! Link: http://www.peabodyawards.com/stories/story/entertainment-childrens-youth-winners-awarded

Here's the nice write-up they gave the show:
On its surface, Rebecca Sugar's animated series develops a complex mythology centering around the Crystal Gems—"polymorphic sentient rocks" who protect young Steven and his human friends from cosmic threats. But in this earnest fantasy epic and superhero saga, empathy is perhaps the most important superpower, something our real-world human society needs now more than ever.

This feels more prestigious than an Emmy, to be honest.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know if anyone here has heard about this but there's a new steven universe mobile game called the phantom fable and i think it's out right now

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
So I don't know if anyone here has heard about this but there's a new steven universe mobile game called the phantom fable and i think it's out right now
Legit had not heard about this, and looked it up on the App Store. It looks better than most SU mobile (except Attack the Light), but the art feels kind of off/lazy. Connie's idle sprite has this dead-eyed look that's really jarring and feels low effort.

Hopefully it's good, as I'd like to support the show by buying it.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pq7tgc93WZ1ry9r2l_500.jpg

A sure-fire way to ensure a 'T' rating, so you watch yourself missy.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
More confirmation of the obvious that this movie will focus on the original core cast. Poor Lapis and Peridot. Maybe we'll get more substantial content for them in 2020. 😭

M-Maybe it's just naming the 4 most profitable characters & we'll get substantial amounts of not only Lapis & Peridot, but also Bismuth & Jasper? Maybe?

tumblr_pq7tgc93WZ1ry9r2l_500.jpg

A sure-fire way to ensure a 'T' rating, so you watch yourself missy.

I kind of want to play this game now just to know the context.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The Cartoon Network upfront is on the 15th of this month I believe, so we should be getting some new info about various shows and premieres on that date. Set your clocks!

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Just binged this show for the first time over the past month. Really special. Any other shows like it? I don't watch much animation.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Just binged this show for the first time over the past month. Really special. Any other shows like it? I don't watch much animation.
Adventure Time is a good one to get into, it's less of a plot driven show and more episodic, but I would say they have a similar spirit.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

avatar: the last airbender is older so you might have seen it, but it's up there with classic simpsons as one of the best animated shows ever made.

the current she-ra show on netlflix is pretty fun, although it tends to focus a lot more on comedy versus stephen universe.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna go ahead and recommend OK K.O.: Let's Be Heroes! Much less serious (so far) than SU, but with a lot of similar themes (believing in kids, growing up, gets kinda more serious/more cohesive story as the series goes on, great jokes, etc).

Also it's special to me because it filled the void in my heart in 2017 and 2018 when SU only had like 15 episode each year.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go a bit away from everyone else and go with Star Vs the Forces of Evil or Gravity falls.
Star feels a bit like SU in the sense that it covers heavier themes for a kids show.
While Gravity Falls just has quality writing like SU.

neither are a direct SU replacement, but both are likely worth your time.

hell Star much like SU even takes a while to get going properly :P

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add Over the Garden Wall to the recommendations - it's fairly short, and tonally very different than SU, but really odd and imaginative.

that's a great recommendation. it's only ten episodes long and they're 11 minutes apiece so it's not a major time commitment either.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I've really come around to liking "Familiar". Steven realizing that he's being treated exactly how he was treated in season 1 just really strikes a chord with me.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The whole final stretch of s5 post-Reunited has clicked for me a bit more knowing it's basically the series finale arc

It certainly feels that way, but we are apparently getting more seasons after the upcoming movie.

Season 5 feels like a finale though, so I'm not sure what they're going to do next. I'm fine with waiting, though.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

just a brief cameo, but it kinda confirms that as far as K.O.'s universe/dimension is concerned, Garnet's a hero worthy of her own POW card

Status
Not open for further replies.