• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

After a long wait(far...far too long) Steven Universe finally returns to television with a special event airing weekly and culminating in a special 44 minute episode as well as five new songs over the course of the event.

Keep in mind that spoilers for every episode up to "Legs from here to Homeworld" will be open so if you're not caught up read at your own risk.

Steven looks pretty good in Pink.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
so well get what 4 or 5 then wait a year for the next batch
should add that i am excited and cant wait for more steven. its just the way they have been handling it is super annoying

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the 44 minute episode is basically the first 4 episodes of season 6 right? Escapism is 156, and that should be the end of season 5

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey its the yearly thread where express my undying love for Steven Universe while also expressing my undying hatred for the scheduling.

How am I supposed to get excited for (presumably) 4 15min episodes over 4 weeks followed by another year long break?

Can't wait.

God I hate loving this amazing cartoon.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea where we are in terms of series completion--are these the final five episodes, or just the start of the final season? And then there's a movie in the works too?

Really frustrating how CN has handled releasing new episodes--this show is a masterpiece, but this kind of schedule has killed any excitement I have for the series. I still haven't finished Adventure Time for the same reasons.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thats the tv airdate right? So it means they will be available earlier on streaming?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hey its the yearly thread where express my undying love for Steven Universe while also expressing my undying hatred for the scheduling.

How am I supposed to get excited for (presumably) 4 15min episodes over 4 weeks followed by another year long break?

Can't wait.

God I hate loving this amazing cartoon.
I don't how people keep up with Cartoon Network, they seem to run episodes random. And DVRing doesn't help because you set it for one thing and end up with another

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't how people keep up with Cartoon Network, they seem to run episodes random. And DVRing doesn't help because you set it for one thing and end up with another

We just use the app and randomly check for episodes of Steven and Craig of the Creek. That way it's like a little surprise treat when we do check and there's a run of 4 new episodes that we can savor.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
We just use the app and randomly check for episodes of Steven and Craig of the Creek. That way it's like a little surprise treat when we do check and there's a run of 4 new episodes that we can savor.
Craig of the Creek is amazing. The cardboard box supervillain killed me

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fucking finally. It's like CN forgot about this show for close to six months. Jesus, I'm surprised some of these shows survive thanks to abysmal scheduling.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea where we are in terms of series completion--are these the final five episodes, or just the start of the final season? And then there's a movie in the works too?

Really frustrating how CN has handled releasing new episodes--this show is a masterpiece, but this kind of schedule has killed any excitement I have for the series. I still haven't finished Adventure Time for the same reasons.
there's been no indication from CN or indeed the show creators that this is the end of the show, or that season 6 would be the last season...we don't know that it's not, but they haven't said that it is either

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not teen titans you go the fuck away on the scheduling

It's like CN Real but the real shows are teen titans go instead

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike how sporadic Steven Universe has become.

Big reason why I stopped watch Adventure Time and I don't know how it ended.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, can I just say, the way they rushed through the Diamond confrontation left me feeling real cold toward the future of Steven Universe. I loved all the episodes leading up to it, but it felt like they just crammed the Diamonds into the end there in order to get to the next phase of the story because CN doesn't give them enough time to really give it the attention it deserved.

If that's how things are going to be going forward then maybe I can sit it all out till the very end.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, nice.

Do we have any indication of when the movie's coming? Could have sworn that it was announced for this year, but apparently not.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, can I just say, the way they rushed through the Diamond confrontation left me feeling real cold toward the future of Steven Universe. I loved all the episodes leading up to it, but it felt like they just crammed the Diamonds into the end there in order to get to the next phase of the story because CN doesn't give them enough time to really give it the attention it deserved.

If that's how things are going to be going forward then maybe I can sit it all out till the very end.
Yeah. Honestly, I didn't like reunited. It was rushed, the fight scene wasn't that good, and the whole tone had this kind of generic kids show "yeah we GOT this! Our character development is done so this fight will show how far we've come!" vibe that felt unearned considering how powerful the diamonds are supposed to be. Screw your character development, they should have gotten instantly stomped. The wedding song was great though. I listen to it almost every day lol

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Steven in the Pink Diamon outfit is interesting. They don't have clothes, so I wonder if he can manifest them himself now.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped.

I don't have any issues with the show or the last arc or where it is now. My only beef in the scheduling, and how it makes those townie episodes really feel like they're slowing things down (yet if you binge an rewatch they are just fine pacing-wise).

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Honestly, I didn't like reunited. It was rushed, the fight scene wasn't that good, and the whole tone had this kind of generic kids show "yeah we GOT this! Our character development is done so this fight will show how far we've come!" vibe that felt unearned considering how powerful the diamonds are supposed to be. Screw your character development, they should have gotten instantly stomped. The wedding song was great though. I listen to it almost every day lol
Pretty much my thoughts lol

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot about this show.

Probably for the best considering its airing schedule.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't finished the last season since it's to much of a pain to watch. Figure ill just wait for it to all be on hulu.

kinda not feeling the direction they're going, but I still like the show well enough. just not nearly as much as the earlier seasons.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
How does this show compare to Adventure Time?

I discovered AT this year with my daughter, and it changed my life- not even joking. Fell deeply in love. Watched it throughout the year on hulu, just finished it (tho season 10 isn't up yet).

Unsure if I want to try something new or just rest for awile with it

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just got caught up recently.

When will I get my Lapis and Peridot fusion? T-T

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not teen titans you go the fuck away on the scheduling

It's like CN Real but the real shows are teen titans go instead

Actually Gumball has usually been the most aired show these past few months, which is great because Gumball is basically TTG but good.

I discovered AT this year with my daughter, and it changed my life- not even joking. Fell deeply in love. Watched it throughout the year on hulu, just finished it (tho season 10 isn't up yet).

It's definitely cut from the same cloth as AT, but a bit more down to Earth, more focused, and generally has actual lasting plot and character development (something AT only really dedicated itself to in it's last few seasons).

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

well the creator of Steven Universe also did a lot of famous adventure time episodes like "What Was Missing" and "I remember you" if that means anything to you

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait until the final season finishes it's broadcast, as I'm done with Cartoon Network's haphazard scheduling for their shows.

I adore Steven Universe. But I'm fed up.

Given that season 6 has already been announced and there doesn't seem to be a signal that the series is ending anytime soon, you might be waiting for quite a while.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that season 6 has already been announced and there doesn't seem to be a signal that the series is ending anytime soon, you might be waiting for quite a while.
Has it, though? There's been no official mention. Just a tweet saying there's more to come after season 5. For all we know, that could just be the 44 minute special and the movie and thats it.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Has it, though? There's been no official mention. Just a tweet saying there's more to come after season 5. For all we know, that could just be the 44 minute special and the movie and thats it.
i imagine if it were ending that soon we would've been told, CN doesn't tend to suddenly drop shows without warning especially not popular ones

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure Time started stronger in my opinion but once Steven Universe gets going it's so much better, primarily because it has an actual plot and the writers knew where it would go from the start, some of the revelations in season 5 were hinzed at sonce season 1.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
so well get what 4 or 5 then wait a year for the next batch
should add that i am excited and cant wait for more steven. its just the way they have been handling it is super annoying
So basically they're doing to Steven universe what they did to adventure time?

Fans of this show have my sympathies.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I had forgotten the show even existed.

I joke, but that's how it feels, these hiatuses can't continue like this, dammit.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
a production run takes 6 to 9 months.
The issue is that CN tends to run these new episodes is short blocks over the course of 1-2 weeks instead of spreading them out over a few months. So you get a handful of really great episodes in 2-3 weeks, and then nothing for several months to close to a year. It's poor scheduling on the part of CN and other cable channels (cough*Disney*cough) that ends up hurting the show's popularity and longevity. If you need another example of poor scheduling, look at Adventure Time or Gravity Falls.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
a production run takes 6 to 9 months.
That's not the problem with SU though since the schedule is irregular and we know from like....last year that the production of season 6 was going strong and they finished a lot of it.

If they aired it like a normal series and say, aired weekly for 26 weeks then a break for 6-9 months, no one would complain , but that's not the deal with SU
I remember being frustrated with ducktales as well since the first season production was complete yet they aired like 8 episodes and then took a hiatus for like 9 months for no reason and I didn't care by then, way to kill the hype and momentum